Snuh
    Rookie
    Rookie

Number of posts : 293
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-14

Saturday night with the Sens!

Post by Snuh on Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:53 am

This past Saturday night I went to my girl friends office Christmas party at the Black Rose (bar in the basement of the Irish Village). She rented the place out for the party so it was only supposed to be office staff and their guests. At around 10pm or so, our head server asked us if we were cool if a small group came in to sit at an empty table at the back of the room. At first we were a little pissed that they'd even consider this, being that they paid to have the place for a private Christmas party. Our displeasure didn't last all that long once we realized who the small group of people were. At that point Cody Bass, Danny Heatley, Jason Spezza, Chris Phillips, Brendan Bell and Martin Gerber strolled in. Pretty freaking cool!

I had a pretty good buzz on at this point and I really didn't want to invade their personal space, so on my way out for a smoke I passed Spezza and said "Hey, great job this afternoon. Congrats on the hat trick!" He responded with a "thanks", with a weird look on his face that kind of said, I have no idea who you are, but that's cool.

Later on in the evening, on my way out for yet another beer influenced smoke, I ran into Gerber. So I thought what the hell, I'm gonna say hi. The last thing I wanted to do was talk about hockey with Gerber, as he probably isn't really enjoying hockey these days. So I asked how he liked living in Ottawa and that spawned a really good conversation about weather, geography, and politics. The guy is super nice and very easy to talk to.

The rest of the night I left them alone as there were quite a few giddy girls trying to weasel their way into their table, but no luck as most were there with wives and girl friends - or at least that's what it looked like.

It was a good night, and it was good to see some of the players out together to have a good time, just hanging out with a few pints.

Re: Saturday night with the Sens!

Post by Guest on Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:23 am

Snuh wrote:This past Saturday night I went to my girl friends office Christmas party at the Black Rose (bar in the basement of the Irish Village). She rented the place out for the party so it was only supposed to be office staff and their guests. At around 10pm or so, our head server asked us if we were cool if a small group came in to sit at an empty table at the back of the room. At first we were a little pissed that they'd even consider this, being that they paid to have the place for a private Christmas party. Our displeasure didn't last all that long once we realized who the small group of people were. At that point Cody Bass, Danny Heatley, Jason Spezza, Chris Phillips, Brendan Bell and Martin Gerber strolled in. Pretty freaking cool!

I had a pretty good buzz on at this point and I really didn't want to invade their personal space, so on my way out for a smoke I passed Spezza and said "Hey, great job this afternoon. Congrats on the hat trick!" He responded with a "thanks", with a weird look on his face that kind of said, I have no idea who you are, but that's cool.

Later on in the evening, on my way out for yet another beer influenced smoke, I ran into Gerber. So I thought what the hell, I'm gonna say hi. The last thing I wanted to do was talk about hockey with Gerber, as he probably isn't really enjoying hockey these days. So I asked how he liked living in Ottawa and that spawned a really good conversation about weather, geography, and politics. The guy is super nice and very easy to talk to.

The rest of the night I left them alone as there were quite a few giddy girls trying to weasel their way into their table, but no luck as most were there with wives and girl friends - or at least that's what it looked like.

It was a good night, and it was good to see some of the players out together to have a good time, just hanging out with a few pints.

Nice! I'll bet you're glad she dragged you to that party. Razz

Seems strange about Spezza. You would think the guy would be used to fans approaching him. Nice of Gerber to chat you up though. I suppose if you opened with something like "So? Why is your game in the toilet?" the conversation would have been slightly less friendly. :lol!:
    Snuh
    Rookie
    Rookie

Post by Snuh on Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:05 pm

hemlock34 wrote:
    Snuh wrote:This past Saturday night I went to my girl friends office Christmas party at the Black Rose (bar in the basement of the Irish Village). She rented the place out for the party so it was only supposed to be office staff and their guests. At around 10pm or so, our head server asked us if we were cool if a small group came in to sit at an empty table at the back of the room. At first we were a little pissed that they'd even consider this, being that they paid to have the place for a private Christmas party. Our displeasure didn't last all that long once we realized who the small group of people were. At that point Cody Bass, Danny Heatley, Jason Spezza, Chris Phillips, Brendan Bell and Martin Gerber strolled in. Pretty freaking cool!

Nice! I'll bet you're glad she dragged you to that party. Razz

Seems strange about Spezza. You would think the guy would be used to fans approaching him. Nice of Gerber to chat you up though. I suppose if you opened with something like "So? Why is your game in the toilet?" the conversation would have been slightly less friendly. :lol!:

Well I was glad at first for the open bar, and the rest of the night was a bonus!
    beerandsens
    Sophomore
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 862
    Registration date : 2008-08-10

Post by beerandsens on Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:18 pm

I got a similar reaction from Spezza. He probably can't help it, that's just how he is. Long story short, I arrived at the Sensplex for an ice time that had been cancelled (unbeknownst to me). I thought I was watching some regular pick up game (there were some old men on the ice) until I saw a two on one develop and the goalie make a sliding splits save. Then I thought "what is he doing on the ice with these guys?". I looked up and Donovan was out there skating with them. I turned around to look at the dressing room I was going to get changed in and Redden was standing there. He was helpful, to the point of trying to find the zamboni guy so we could figure out what time I was supposed to be on. I figured something was wrong so I left and on my way out saw Spezza leaving the rink. I just said "whats up Jason" and he kind of mumbled "whats up" while looking at the floor. Almost like he's used to ducking for cover.
    beedub
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 1036
    Registration date : 2008-08-12

Post by beedub on Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:25 pm

You should ask Capn'Cutch about talking to the Sens. He get most of them to sign the hood of his car every year near playoff time. Really sharp!
    The Silfer Server
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 2270
    Registration date : 2008-10-14

Post by The Silfer Server on Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:31 pm

beerandsens wrote:I got a similar reaction from Spezza. He probably can't help it, that's just how he is. Long story short, I arrived at the Sensplex for an ice time that had been cancelled (unbeknownst to me). I thought I was watching some regular pick up game (there were some old men on the ice) until I saw a two on one develop and the goalie make a sliding splits save. Then I thought "what is he doing on the ice with these guys?". I looked up and Donovan was out there skating with them. I turned around to look at the dressing room I was going to get changed in and Redden was standing there. He was helpful, to the point of trying to find the zamboni guy so we could figure out what time I was supposed to be on. I figured something was wrong so I left and on my way out saw Spezza leaving the rink. I just said "whats up Jason" and he kind of mumbled "whats up" while looking at the floor. Almost like he's used to ducking for cover.

A couple of my university buddies went to high school with Spezza, said that he was kind of a tool. They told me that in math class, he used to practice his signature.
    Snuh
    Rookie
    Rookie

Post by Snuh on Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:38 pm

dirtydirtynorth wrote:
    beerandsens wrote:I got a similar reaction from Spezza. He probably can't help it, that's just how he is. Long story short, I arrived at the Sensplex for an ice time that had been cancelled (unbeknownst to me). I thought I was watching some regular pick up game (there were some old men on the ice) until I saw a two on one develop and the goalie make a sliding splits save. Then I thought "what is he doing on the ice with these guys?". I looked up and Donovan was out there skating with them. I turned around to look at the dressing room I was going to get changed in and Redden was standing there. He was helpful, to the point of trying to find the zamboni guy so we could figure out what time I was supposed to be on. I figured something was wrong so I left and on my way out saw Spezza leaving the rink. I just said "whats up Jason" and he kind of mumbled "whats up" while looking at the floor. Almost like he's used to ducking for cover.

A couple of my university buddies went to high school with Spezza, said that he was kind of a tool. They told me that in math class, he used to practice his signature.

He didn't come across as a bunghole or anything. Just a little surprised. Maybe I interrupted a conversation he was having. The whole night is kind of a blur.

They all seemed pretty cool and relaxed. They were very accommodating with people taking pictures of them and with them. It was cool to see.
    beerandsens
    Sophomore
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 862
    Registration date : 2008-08-10

Post by beerandsens on Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:42 pm

yes, i'd like to reiterate the point that i don't think Spezz is a jerk or anything, just that his natural inclination might be different than a guy like Redden. Just a little more cautious or something.
    Aetherial
    Rookie
    Rookie

Number of posts : 152
    Favorite Team : Toronto
    Registration date : 2008-08-07

Post by Aetherial on Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:10 pm

Did you get to sniff their jocks also... cause the story sounds like it is going to end that way.

... just kidding ya Smile It would be pretty cool.
    mattshock
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 1772
    Registration date : 2008-10-15

Post by mattshock on Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:23 pm

I bet Alfie's jock smells like potpourri.

Post by Guest on Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:49 pm

mattshock wrote:I bet Alfie's jock smells like potpourri.

I'm speechless. Literally. I have no speech.
    Snuh
    Rookie
    Rookie

Post by Snuh on Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:53 pm

Aetherial wrote:Did you get to sniff their jocks also... cause the story sounds like it is going to end that way.

... just kidding ya Smile It would be pretty cool.

Yeah, I know it may sound a bit childish to go on about meeting some of the Senators, but it seriously was very cool. Very surprising.

But, to be honest, there were a couple of jocks being sniffed at one point. Alfie was not there, but his jock was. It smelled of elderberries from years past.
    LethalLehner
    Sophomore
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 783
    Registration date : 2008-08-26

Post by LethalLehner on Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:56 am

I was out one night with some coworkers at the Heart & Crown and we met Gerber. He was nice and took pictures with us. One of woman I was with bought him and his buddy a shooter. Then later on in the evening, Gerbs came over to the table with shooters and did the shot with us. He was quite nice. Another evening at the Crown, I bumped into Dany Heatley and his agent. To make a long story short, we ended up sitting with them for about 1.5 hours drinking. Dany was being chatted up by a couple of girls and the rest of us just sat around and talked.

Post by Guest on Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:35 am

Cool. That sort of stuff never happens to me. Of course I don't go to bars so I suppose that doesn't help.

I did meet Yashin at Hazeldean Mall back in the day, as well as Bonk in the grocery store there (YIG I think it was called at the time). He was with his GF and in a roundabout sort of way I accidentally told him he sucked. It came out wrong. I meant to say that hopefully he'd have a better year than the one that had just ended. His GF gave me the serious stink eye and he looked puzzled and thanked me and they went on their way. I went back to a buddy I was with, who asked what I'd said to him. I replied "I think I told him he sucked". I still haven't lived that down.
    TheAvatar
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 2728
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by TheAvatar on Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:49 am

I am waiting for the day I run into Vermette. I've been saying for two years now that when I do, I'll give him 5$ and say "Here, son, go buy yourself a goal". I can't wait.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:03 am