Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 49246
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

latest article on Meszaros

Post by wprager on Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:47 am

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Ottawa/2008/08/24/6557771-sun.html

This article suggests the Sens had offered a $3.5M long-term deal, but Meszaros is looking for Weber's numbers ($4.5M, three years).

A one-year deal favors the player, so splitting the difference and adjusting downward (due to said "advantage") still makes $2.8M possible. But I'm beginning to think that getting him for under $3M is a pipe-dream.
    Cronie
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 3032
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Re: latest article on Meszaros

Post by Cronie on Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:52 am

wprager wrote:http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Ottawa/2008/08/24/6557771-sun.html

This article suggests the Sens had offered a $3.5M long-term deal, but Meszaros is looking for Weber's numbers ($4.5M, three years).

A one-year deal favors the player, so splitting the difference and adjusting downward (due to said "advantage") still makes $2.8M possible. But I'm beginning to think that getting him for under $3M is a pipe-dream.

Normally, I would agree, except I was and continue to be told that Murray's final offer to Mezie was for 1 yr at under $3M. Now, that could be faulty intel, who knows, but the longer this goes on, the more it gives fuel to the speculations and other rumors.

I tend to agree with Jammer, that Mezie will sign either by the beginning or just after the start of Training camp!
    jamvan
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 1630

Post by jamvan on Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:59 am

I'd have to think if they only sign him for 1 year, it will be under the $3.5 million and closer to $2 million. I do see a 2+ year deal struck though and I'm almost certain it will be done before camp. There's still tons of time.
    Cronie
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 3032

Post by Cronie on Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:19 am

jamvan wrote:I'd have to think if they only sign him for 1 year, it will be under the $3.5 million and closer to $2 million. I do see a 2+ year deal struck though and I'm almost certain it will be done before camp. There's still tons of time.

Oh you're right. It's coming...I hope. LOL
    rooneypoo
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 7429
    Registration date : 2008-08-11

Post by rooneypoo on Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:30 am

wprager wrote:http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Ottawa/2008/08/24/6557771-sun.html

You're starting to sound like me on this issue. Congrats, or condolences. Smile

I've long maintained that $2-2.5 mil is too low, and somewhere around $3-3.5 mil is what it's going to take. I think a 2 yr, $3-3.5 mil contract the most likely scenario. $2.8-3 mil isn't out of the question, but then it'd be a 1 yr deal.

My prediction: $3 mil / 1 yr, $3.25 mil / 2 yrs, or $3.5 mil / 3 yrs.

If the numbers are a little lower than that, super, and hats off to Murray -- but I'm not holding my breath for it.
    jamvan
    Veteran
    Veteran

Post by jamvan on Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:37 am

It looks as though Meszaros has since changed agents? Wasn't his agent Winters? In the article it says his agent " Gerry Johansson " .

If this is true, perhaps Murray couldn't work out a deal with Winters, so Meszaros got different representation. I'm looking for confirmation of this...
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 49246
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by wprager on Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:10 pm

jamvan wrote:It looks as though Meszaros has since changed agents? Wasn't his agent Winters? In the article it says his agent " Gerry Johansson " .

If this is true, perhaps Murray couldn't work out a deal with Winters, so Meszaros got different representation. I'm looking for confirmation of this...

Could be wrong, but I seem to remember reading the phrase "one of his agents" on some article. It could very well have been in reference to another player, but it's probably quite common that a player is represented by a company of sports agents (think Jerry Maguire) so there could be more than one agent representing a particular player.
    rooneypoo
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 7429
    Registration date : 2008-08-11

Post by rooneypoo on Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:05 pm

A small, small update (or maybe just a re-hashing?) from Sensjunkie.com (who is pretty good) on the Mesz situation:

http://www.sensjunkie.com/my_weblog/2008/08/meszaros-update.html

A personal plug: note that he's predicting contract numbers ($11 / 3 yrs) very similar to mine above! Smile
    jamvan
    Veteran
    Veteran

Post by jamvan on Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:09 pm

rooneypoo wrote:A small, small update (or maybe just a re-hashing?) from Sensjunkie.com (who is pretty good) on the Mesz situation:

http://www.sensjunkie.com/my_weblog/2008/08/meszaros-update.html

A personal plug: note that he's predicting contract numbers ($11 / 3 yrs) very similar to mine above! Smile

I don't think you're going to be far off at all. Since were predicting, here's mine:

3 years = $2.4 1st year; $3 2nd year; $3.6 3rd year = $9 million over 3 years.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:13 pm