What the hell is wrong in Ottawa?

    Share

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: What the hell is wrong in Ottawa?

    Post by Guest on Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:32 pm

    I'm ready to go into hibernation until draft day. Sad Sad Sad

    asq2
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 7179
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: What the hell is wrong in Ottawa?

    Post by asq2 on Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:49 pm

    hemlock wrote:I'm ready to go into hibernation until draft day. Sad Sad Sad

    My reasons for watching this team:

    1. Spezza
    2. Elliott
    3. Winchester and Foligno

    That's pretty much the extent of it. Maybe Volchenkov, too.

    It's not that they're losing, it's that they're losing and boring.

    asq2
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 7179
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: What the hell is wrong in Ottawa?

    Post by asq2 on Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:49 pm

    Neely4Life wrote:
    asq2 wrote:Honestly? On a competitive team, Bell is a 7th defenceman.

    On our team, he's out there with the goalie pulled.

    That speaks volumes IMO.

    We got to the finals with Priesing as our 6th D man, no reason Bell couldnt play that exact same role on a competitive team. I like what Bell brings as a depth D man, even as a 7th guy its not a bad guy to have.

    But yes, I agree, Bell as the go to guy back there is upsetting.

    I think Preissing is much more stable defensively than Bell is.

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: What the hell is wrong in Ottawa?

    Post by Guest on Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:55 pm

    asq2 wrote:
    hemlock wrote:I'm ready to go into hibernation until draft day. Sad Sad Sad

    My reasons for watching this team:

    1. Spezza
    2. Elliott
    3. Winchester and Foligno

    That's pretty much the extent of it. Maybe Volchenkov, too.

    It's not that they're losing, it's that they're losing and boring.

    Yep, there isn't much to get excited about that's for sure. I'm looking forward to the deadline when we can dissect some moves (hopefully) and start to look positively at this team.
    avatar
    asq2
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 7179
    Favorite Team : Detroit
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: What the hell is wrong in Ottawa?

    Post by asq2 on Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:58 pm

    The jealous part of me wants to see the exciting Bingo players like Regin and Zubov up at the end of the season, the other part wants to see Bingo go on a good playoff run.

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: What the hell is wrong in Ottawa?

    Post by Guest on Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:01 pm

    asq2 wrote:The jealous part of me wants to see the exciting Bingo players like Regin and Zubov up at the end of the season, the other part wants to see Bingo go on a good playoff run.

    When does the AHL start their playoffs. There could still be time to give them some games with the Sens, which would help them next year, and have them for the run in Bingo. Assuming the scheduling lines up right. The AHL playoffs would have to sort of mirror the NHL's though.
    avatar
    Cap'n Clutch
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

    Number of posts : 13608
    Age : 44
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

    Re: What the hell is wrong in Ottawa?

    Post by Cap'n Clutch on Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:41 am

    I think at this point Murray has to pick this team apart with an eye to next season. With that in mind it wouldn't surprise me to see some young guys brought up after the Trade Deadline and to see some guys in the press box or shipped out. It's audition time for the young guys. The best part is that Bingo will likely have firmed up a playoff spot and these guys will be able to go back for the playoff run.


    _________________
    "A child with Autism is not ignoring you, they are waiting for you to enter their world."

    - Unknown Author
    avatar
    SensGirl11
    Mod
    Mod

    Number of posts : 5050
    Age : 36
    Location : GO SENS!
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-13

    Re: What the hell is wrong in Ottawa?

    Post by SensGirl11 on Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:12 am

    I'm very excited to see how Elliott is going to do in all of our games this week. Could he stay as our Number 1 this season?

    I liked the looks of him in the Rangers game, very solid. Let's see what he can do this week. I'm not expecting him to change our season around or anything, I just want to see if he's ready to be full-time number 1 next season.
    avatar
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 24763
    Age : 45
    Location : Cornwall, ON
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

    Re: What the hell is wrong in Ottawa?

    Post by SeawaySensFan on Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:19 am

    SensGirl11 wrote:I'm very excited to see how Elliott is going to do in all of our games this week. Could he stay as our Number 1 this season?

    I liked the looks of him in the Rangers game, very solid. Let's see what he can do this week. I'm not expecting him to change our season around or anything, I just want to see if he's ready to be full-time number 1 next season.

    I think the team at least has to generate some excitement for the last half of the season, whether the playoffs are in the cards or not. Calling up Elliott is a step in the right direction. Making further changes to this lethargic product is imperative as well.
    avatar
    SensGirl11
    Mod
    Mod

    Number of posts : 5050
    Age : 36
    Location : GO SENS!
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-13

    Re: What the hell is wrong in Ottawa?

    Post by SensGirl11 on Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:48 am

    SeawaySensFan wrote:
    SensGirl11 wrote:I'm very excited to see how Elliott is going to do in all of our games this week. Could he stay as our Number 1 this season?

    I liked the looks of him in the Rangers game, very solid. Let's see what he can do this week. I'm not expecting him to change our season around or anything, I just want to see if he's ready to be full-time number 1 next season.

    I think the team at least has to generate some excitement for the last half of the season, whether the playoffs are in the cards or not. Calling up Elliott is a step in the right direction. Making further changes to this lethargic product is imperative as well.


    That's exactly what I was thinking. After watching the Rangers game, I was just praying for some kind of excitement with this team. They're not fun to watch anymore at all. I don't care if we keep losing this year, but at least make it interesting. We have to have some reason to keep watching them, and they don't want to lose the fans either. Mind you, if people jump off the bandwagon now, even though they're terrible this year, they aren't real fans to begin with.
    They need to do something to inject some kind of life in these guys, and at least get the system working for next year. That's all they should be working on now. I want to see some of our other young guys come up too.
    avatar
    Cap'n Clutch
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

    Number of posts : 13608
    Age : 44
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

    Re: What the hell is wrong in Ottawa?

    Post by Cap'n Clutch on Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:10 am

    I know it's been said that Ottawa can't sustain a prolonged slump but I'm not convinced that a re-build would send attendance into a tailspin that Melnyk can't afford. I'm not convinced attendance will cave in along with the Season Ticket base. It certainly could happen but I will wait and hope that Melnyk doesn't try to force some moves that do little to help us become a contender with his mind solely on attendance figures.


    _________________
    "A child with Autism is not ignoring you, they are waiting for you to enter their world."

    - Unknown Author
    avatar
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 24763
    Age : 45
    Location : Cornwall, ON
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

    Re: What the hell is wrong in Ottawa?

    Post by SeawaySensFan on Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:15 am

    Cap'n Clutch wrote:I know it's been said that Ottawa can't sustain a prolonged slump but I'm not convinced that a re-build would send attendance into a tailspin that Melnyk can't afford. I'm not convinced attendance will cave in along with the Season Ticket base. It certainly could happen but I will wait and hope that Melnyk doesn't try to force some moves that do little to help us become a contender with his mind solely on attendance figures.

    Are you convinced that Melnyk would be on board with a re-build and the inherent mediocrity that comes with it while he spends to the cap and pays for buyouts and NHL salaries for AHL players?
    avatar
    Cap'n Clutch
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

    Number of posts : 13608
    Age : 44
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

    Re: What the hell is wrong in Ottawa?

    Post by Cap'n Clutch on Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:23 am

    SeawaySensFan wrote:
    Cap'n Clutch wrote:I know it's been said that Ottawa can't sustain a prolonged slump but I'm not convinced that a re-build would send attendance into a tailspin that Melnyk can't afford. I'm not convinced attendance will cave in along with the Season Ticket base. It certainly could happen but I will wait and hope that Melnyk doesn't try to force some moves that do little to help us become a contender with his mind solely on attendance figures.

    Are you convinced that Melnyk would be on board with a re-build and the inherent mediocrity that comes with it while he spends to the cap and pays for buyouts and NHL salaries for AHL players?

    He seems pretty content right now doesn't he? Next season there will be no Gerber on the books or otherwise, there will likely be no Kuba as well. Assuming a re-build means that salary out and picks and prospects in so NO he won't be spending to the Cap next year.


    _________________
    "A child with Autism is not ignoring you, they are waiting for you to enter their world."

    - Unknown Author
    avatar
    Cap'n Clutch
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

    Number of posts : 13608
    Age : 44
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

    Re: What the hell is wrong in Ottawa?

    Post by Cap'n Clutch on Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:24 am

    Cap'n Clutch wrote:
    SeawaySensFan wrote:
    Cap'n Clutch wrote:I know it's been said that Ottawa can't sustain a prolonged slump but I'm not convinced that a re-build would send attendance into a tailspin that Melnyk can't afford. I'm not convinced attendance will cave in along with the Season Ticket base. It certainly could happen but I will wait and hope that Melnyk doesn't try to force some moves that do little to help us become a contender with his mind solely on attendance figures.

    Are you convinced that Melnyk would be on board with a re-build and the inherent mediocrity that comes with it while he spends to the cap and pays for buyouts and NHL salaries for AHL players?

    He seems pretty content right now doesn't he? Next season there will be no Gerber on the books or otherwise, there will likely be no Kuba as well. Assuming a re-build means that salary out and picks and prospects in so NO he won't be spending to the Cap next year. And just so we're clear - He isn't spending to the Cap this year either.


    _________________
    "A child with Autism is not ignoring you, they are waiting for you to enter their world."

    - Unknown Author
    avatar
    Snuh
    Rookie
    Rookie

    Number of posts : 293
    Age : 38
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-14

    Re: What the hell is wrong in Ottawa?

    Post by Snuh on Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:26 am

    SeawaySensFan wrote:
    Cap'n Clutch wrote:I know it's been said that Ottawa can't sustain a prolonged slump but I'm not convinced that a re-build would send attendance into a tailspin that Melnyk can't afford. I'm not convinced attendance will cave in along with the Season Ticket base. It certainly could happen but I will wait and hope that Melnyk doesn't try to force some moves that do little to help us become a contender with his mind solely on attendance figures.

    Are you convinced that Melnyk would be on board with a re-build and the inherent mediocrity that comes with it while he spends to the cap and pays for buyouts and NHL salaries for AHL players?

    What choice does Melnyk have? He can fire the GM and coach, but the situation will still be that same. This team can't improve without even a slight rebuild.

    Sponsored content

    Re: What the hell is wrong in Ottawa?

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:59 pm