You are not connected. Please login or register

 » The other NHL teams » Pacific » Calgary Flames » Calgary quietly a top team in the West

Calgary quietly a top team in the West

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

16Calgary quietly a top team in the West - Page 2 Empty Re: Calgary quietly a top team in the West on Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:40 pm

beedub


Veteran
Veteran
davetherave wrote:
shabbs wrote:
beedub wrote:The road to the SCF in the West leads through Detroit, I am afraid. While I like the addition of Jokinen to an already potent lineup, I think it will be tough on anyone to get through Detroit.
No doubt... they are playing so well lately and last night was just another example of how well they can control the puck and the game. I also think they felt bad for letting Osgoode down the other day.

The current matchup of Calgary-Columbus is too close to call. They've won a game each (both very close) with the other decided in a shoot out.

The Wings would play Anaheim if the playoffs started today; and they have some serious history. This year, the series has also been very close:

Oct 29: at Ducks 5, Red Wings 4 (OT)
Dec 1: at Red Wings 2, Ducks 1
Jan 14: Red Wings 4 at Ducks 3
Feb 20: at Red Wings 5, Ducks 2

The key to beating the Red Wings has been to score early and often. This game last night was a real nailbiter, as the Oil contained them for much of the match, but their failure to capitalize on a number of excellent chances (due to numerous giveaways by the Detroit D), left Edmonton vulnerable to the swarming Detroit attack in the third. You can't sit on an one goal lead against the Wings. BTW Franzen and Datsyuk were exceptional, and at the other end, Roloson was awesome.

Once again this year, the West should be the place for some incredible--and probably OT-laden--playoff games in more than a few series that go the distance.
:D :D :D

Were Detroit to face Anaheim in the 1st round now, I sense that the Big Red Machine would steam roll the ducks in 5. Anaheim is not playing like the Ducks that smoked Ottawa in the Finals a couple of years ago. Anaheim is playing like a team that is set to lose it's premiere pair of defencemen in the off season.

17Calgary quietly a top team in the West - Page 2 Empty Re: Calgary quietly a top team in the West on Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:20 pm

davetherave


All-Star
All-Star
beedub wrote:
Were Detroit to face Anaheim in the 1st round now, I sense that the Big Red Machine would steam roll the ducks in 5. Anaheim is not playing like the Ducks that smoked Ottawa in the Finals a couple of years ago. Anaheim is playing like a team that is set to lose it's premiere pair of defencemen in the off season.

BD, you clearly haven't been watching the Ducks play. I have, though...8)

Since they acquired Whitney, Wisniewski, Nokelainen and Christensen, Anaheim has improved substantially. Unbeaten in regulation in their last six, with five victories.

Steamed Duck in Five? We'll see...if the matchup actually happens.

And who says they are going to lose Pronger and Niedermayer? Not Pronger and Niedermayer. And not Ducks GM Bob Murray.



Last edited by davetherave on Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:22 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : edit)

18Calgary quietly a top team in the West - Page 2 Empty Re: Calgary quietly a top team in the West on Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:24 pm

beedub


Veteran
Veteran
davetherave wrote:
beedub wrote:
Were Detroit to face Anaheim in the 1st round now, I sense that the Big Red Machine would steam roll the ducks in 5. Anaheim is not playing like the Ducks that smoked Ottawa in the Finals a couple of years ago. Anaheim is playing like a team that is set to lose it's premiere pair of defencemen in the off season.

BD, you clearly haven't been watching the Ducks play. I have, though...8)

Since they acquired Whitney, Wisniewski, Nokelainen and Christensen, Anaheim has improved substantially. Unbeaten in regulation in their last six, with five victories.

Steamed Duck in Five? We'll see...if the matchup actually happens.

And who says they are going to lose Pronger and Niedermayer? Not Pronger and Niedermayer. And not Ducks GM Bob Murray.

Anaheim has not entered the playoffs in 8th in a few years. Usually they are hobnobbing with Detroit near the top of the conference.

They currently have, what 4 points more than Ottawa. This indicates that at several points this season, they have sucked arse just as much as us this year.

Both Niedermeyers are UFAs this summer, I'd be surprised if both of them don't end up in New Jersey this summer.

True then that Pronger has another year on his deal, but if a team could make it look attractive for his wife, they could swoon her out of Anaheim.

Let the rebuild commence.

Hmm, I know I said Detroit in 5, and although I am kind of leaning towards a complete Cleaning

I'll stay conservative.

It may very well end up being Nashville, St. Louis or Minny who will be their opponents in round number 1.

Either of these teams don't stand a chance in 1st round

19Calgary quietly a top team in the West - Page 2 Empty Re: Calgary quietly a top team in the West on Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:11 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star
beedub wrote: Anaheim has not entered the playoffs in 8th in a few years. Usually they are hobnobbing with Detroit near the top of the conference.

They currently have, what 4 points more than Ottawa. This indicates that at several points this season, they have sucked arse just as much as us this year.

Both Niedermeyers are UFAs this summer, I'd be surprised if both of them don't end up in New Jersey this summer.

True then that Pronger has another year on his deal, but if a team could make it look attractive for his wife, they could swoon her out of Anaheim.


Let the rebuild commence.

Hmm, I know I said Detroit in 5, and although I am kind of leaning towards a complete Cleaning

I'll stay conservative.

It may very well end up being Nashville, St. Louis or Minny who will be their opponents in round number 1.

Either of these teams don't stand a chance in 1st round

Heh heh...spoken like a true pundit, Bee...

You've been picking up the Nieds and Pronger rumours from the blogosphere, eh? I recognize some of the sources...

The Gods of Hockey Karma are watching...they will hold you to your broom waving pronouncements.

8)

Cheers>

Sponsored content


Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum