So someone new is under my skin… Dave Hodge

So someone new is under my skin… Dave Hodge

Post by Guest on Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:32 pm

Sorry this is a diatribe but I am pissed…

Usually I think Dave Hodge is a pretty good editorial sports reporter, tonight he missed the mark in a big way. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I respect well thought out opinions even if I don't agree. I am one who enjoys hockey fights as part of a game. Hockey is a better game with fights in it, period. Dave Hodge had some real stupid arguments…

Fans who wish to keep fighting as part of the game ‘want fighting in hockey because it’s too long to wait for the next UFC’. How Diddle insulting. Fans of hockey which were and are proponents of keeping it in the game were fans long before the UFC existed. It is insulting to say it is mere blood lust. He also said in the same sentence that fans ‘should admit it makes them feel better because their guy beats up the other guy’. No, it is because there is an increased passion and energy level. Most fights do not have anyone hurt in them. It is men being men and demonstrating that they will do anything to win and or protect their comrades. I am really disappointed in Dave Hodge for this commentary. Don’t tell me what I think and follow up with why I think it.

In arguing against the points for fighting...

"Fights are part of hockey, but so was the red line, till it was removed”. You are comparing it to the red line?! Passion and courage and toughness compared to a line on the ice that is used to artificially keep people from making the game boring by dumping the puck away all the time. Wow, how disconnected, you should have worked for the CBC on the find a new hockey anthem campaign.

“Fights are needed to keep people from swinging their sticks at each other. Not if they didn’t want to avoid suspension or possibility of jail time”. Really?! You want the law to step into the sports arena? Really, how sad. People do swing their sticks more, not to mention hitting from behind since the instigator rule was put in. There is a fundamental lack of respect that has crept in. No small coincidence that the instigator rule is part of it. Ask the players and former players what they think. Do you respect Gretzky? Think he knows what he’s talking about when it comes to hockey? Ask him what he thinks and he wasn’t a fighter.

"You have to protect your skilled players. You mean if you do it without fists someone might try to check a goal scorer?”. Some of the most exciting hockey ever was in the eighties (for me anyway). The New York Islanders were my favourite team before Ottawa came into existence. They had tough guys like Clark Gillies who protected the skilled guys. Gretzky who is arguably the best player of all time (to me he is but I entertain arguments about Orr and Howe as I never got to see them play live) was always protected and he accomplished more in terms of scoring than any player. What if some dork took a run at him and ended his career early? Can you imagine the magic moments we would have missed much less the gold medals and World cups he has been responsible for?

‘fans are willing to pay more for playoff games and (because?) playoff games don’t have fights’. What a simplistic and moronic argument, really dumb. The reason that we (not Dave Hodge who has never paid for a ticket) pay more for playoff games is because they mean more, the players can’t take games off. We get more value for the money out of playoff games. If there was a fight or two in them would you pay less. Come on I have never heard a worse argument. I think if we look back to some glorious playoff series Montreal/Boston, Montreal/Quebec… they all had fights and they were wars. If you ever have an opportunity to watch replays of these they are phenomenal games.

I am really disappointed in this kind of crap. I wish there will be an opportunity in the near future to be able to turn off commentary on TV broadcasts. I hate having to hear this kind of crap. In my opinion this is really bad journalism from a usually reliable journalist.

Last edited by MurderOnIce on Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:44 pm; edited 2 times in total

Re: So someone new is under my skin… Dave Hodge

Post by Guest on Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:41 pm

MurderOnIce wrote:Sorry this is a diatribe but I am pissed…

Usually I think Dave Hodge is a pretty good editorial sports reporter, tonight he missed the mark in a big way. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I respect well thought out opinions even if I don't agree. I am one who enjoys hockey fights as part of a game. Hockey is a better game with fights in it, period. Dave Hodge had some real stupid arguments…

Fans who wish to keep fighting as part of the game ‘want fighting in hockey because it’s too long to wait for the next UFC’. How Diddle insulting. Fans of hockey which were and are proponents of keeping it in the game were fans long before the UFC existed. It is insulting to say it is mere blood lust. He also said in the same sentence that fans ‘should admit it makes them feel better because their guy beats up the other guy’. No, it is because there is an increased passion and energy level. Most fights do not have anyone hurt in them. It is men being men and demonstrating that they will do anything to win and or protect their comrades. I am really disappointed in Dave Hodge for this commentary. Don’t tell me what I think and follow up with why I think it.

In arguing against the points for fighting…

“Fights are part of hockey, but so was the red line, till it was removed”. You are comparing it to the red line?! Passion and courage and toughness compared to a line on the ice that is used to artificially keep people from making the game boring by dumping the puck away all the time. Wow, how disconnected, you should have worked for the CBC on the find a new hockey anthem campaign.

“Fights are needed to keep people from swinging their sticks at each other. Not if they didn’t want to avoid suspension or possibility of jail time”. Really?! You want the law to step into the sports arena? Really, how sad. People do swing their sticks more, not to mention hitting from behind since the instigator rule was put in. There is a fundamental lack of respect that has crept in. No small coincidence that the instigator rule is part of it. Ask the players and former players what they think. Do you respect Gretzky? Think he knows what he’s talking about when it comes to hockey? Ask him what he thinks and he wasn’t a fighter.

“You have to protect your skilled players. You mean if you do it without fists someone might try to check a goal scorer?”. Some of the most exciting hockey ever was in the eighties (for me anyway). The New York Islanders were my favourite team before Ottawa came into existence. They had tough guys like Clark Gillies who protected the skilled guys. Gretzky who is arguably the best player of all time (to me he is but I entertain arguments about Orr and Howe as I never got to see them play live) was always protected and he accomplished more in terms of scoring than any player. What if some dork took a run at him and ended his career early? Can you imagine the magic moments we would have missed much less the gold medals and World cups he has been responsible for?

‘fans are willing to pay more for playoff games and (because?) playoff games don’t have fights’. What a simplistic and moronic argument, really dumb. The reason that we (not Dave Hodge who has never paid for a ticket) pay more for playoff games is because they mean more, the players can’t take games off. We get more value for the money out of playoff games. If there was a fight or two in them would you pay less. Come on I have never heard a worse argument. I think if we look back to some glorious playoff series Montreal/Boston, Montreal/Quebec… they all had fights and they were wars. If you ever have an opportunity to watch replays of these they are phenomenal games. I am really disappointed in this kind of crap. I wish there will be an opportunity in the near future to be able to turn off commentary on TV broadcasts. I hate having to hear this kind of crap. In my opinion this is really bad journalism from a usually reliable journalist.

Wow, where are the Coles' Notes version of this? Wink

I don't think fighting needs to be removed. I think that the disgraceful preplanned fights are lame though. I don't have any stats to back this up, but it seems to me that since the instigator rule was removed, the respect level amongst players has decreased. Taking that rule out flat out lessens accountability for players. It used to be that if you acted like a tool, you knew that someone was going to eat your lunch. Not so now. Funny thing is that the guys who have the most honour are the heavyweights it seems. I remember a fight between Laracque and Grats a couple of years ago and Grats blew his shoulder out in that fight. Laracque basically stopped throwing once he saw Grats was defenseless. There are far too many players who wouldn't do the same.

It's funny to how the league talks about protecting players, particularly about head shots, and yet you see players skating around with their chin straps tied loosely. I don't know if there is a rule pertaining to this, but if there isn't, there should be. Seems to me to be basic head protection 101.

The fans are willing to pay more for playoff games because they don't have fights is moronic. I am really surprised to hear someone like Hodge say something so stupid.

Post by Guest on Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:47 pm

Sorry I said it was long. I was angry like an Italian Granny. Stuff just started flying out....

Post by Guest on Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:51 pm

MurderOnIce wrote:Sorry I said it was long. I was angry like an Italian Granny. Stuff just started flying out....

Hehe It's cool. I'm at work. I got paid to read it. Wink

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:52 am