Snuh
    Rookie
    Rookie

Number of posts : 293
    Registration date : 2008-08-14

Re: Robert Downey Jr. - a quick shout out

Post by Snuh on Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:19 am

marakh wrote:KIss Kiss Banga Bang, Zodiac, I also loved Only you Razz

Let us not forget Chaplin. Probably his break-out film establishing himself as a great actor. I also thought he was good in "Good Night and Good Luck", although he didn''t have a big role. Thought he was great in "Natural Born Killers" as well. His character was so annoying, which means he did a great job! I still hate the movie "Air America" though.

The Silfer Server
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 2270
    Registration date : 2008-10-14

Post by The Silfer Server on Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:19 am

Doesn't look like he wrote Sherlock though. According to the imdb profile, it seems as though characters are based of Doyle, but that the story is based of a graphic novel by Lionel Wigram. But is should still be good, RDJ doesn't attach his name to just anything.

I was just looking at Guy Ritchie's profile, and I forgot about that movie Swept Away he made starring Madonna... It has an IMDB rating of 3.5, which must be one of the lowest i've seen on that site.

PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 54588
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by PTFlea on Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:21 am

Ritchie wrote the screenplay for sure. I'll try to check when I have a chance.
    Snuh
    Rookie
    Rookie

Favorite Team : Ottawa

Post by Snuh on Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:28 am

Phoenix30 wrote:Can't rule out Mickie Rourke as well. He got nominated for best actor for the wrestler. Not a big fan of him but I suspect he has a good chance since he won a globe a few weeks back for best actor.

Rourke is awesome! So is director Darren Aronofsky, who is responsible for such recent cinema gems as Pi, Requiem For a Dream, and The Fountain(which I thought was Diddle brilliant, although it was booed at Cannes when it premiered). Can't wait to see The Wrestler!
    Snuh
    Rookie
    Rookie

Post by Snuh on Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:30 am

504Heater wrote:Did he make one great film during their time together though? He's got $$, now he needs to make sure Mat Vaughn is with him every step of the way and they need to get back to basics and make some cool Dung. Sherlock is gonna rock I hope.

I'm not the biggest Guy fan. I kind of think he's a one-trick-pony. I did like Lock Stock and Snatch, but they're pretty similar in many ways. It'll be interesting to see what he can do with Sherlock.
    The Silfer Server
    Veteran
    Veteran

Post by The Silfer Server on Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:32 am

504Heater wrote:Ritchie wrote the screenplay for sure. I'll try to check when I have a chance.

You're right he did. It didn't say on the movie profile page, but it did say under his page. I'm extremely relieved right now. I was dreading a Frank Miller like Sherlock Holmes. Although Arsene Lupin was pretty cool (French Cartoon)
    SensGirl11
    Mod
    Mod

Number of posts : 5050
    Registration date : 2008-08-13

Post by SensGirl11 on Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:33 am

504Heater wrote:As most of you all know, Downey has had a rough decade, but he got nominated for an Oscar this morning for his guy-bustingly funny turn in Tropic Thunder (I thought Cruise should also have been in the running).

If you haven't seen his performance in TT, then go and rent it tonight. He's absolutely amazing playing a black guy. He's also very, very good in Iron Man.

Congrats on your Oscar nomination and keep up the good work Downey! You were - and now are again - one of the best actors of our generation.

SWEET! He was absolutely, ridiculously, amazingly, awesome in this role. You completely forgot that it was actually him. Brilliant performance to say the least. He deserves this nomination, no doubt about it. Is this for best supporting actor or lead role?

Cruise was very good too, it took me a minute to realize that it was him, and he did play in it longer than 5 minutes...but, by far, Downie was much better.
    Phoenix30
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 1271
    Registration date : 2008-08-15

Post by Phoenix30 on Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:33 am

SensGirl11 wrote:
    504Heater wrote:As most of you all know, Downey has had a rough decade, but he got nominated for an Oscar this morning for his guy-bustingly funny turn in Tropic Thunder (I thought Cruise should also have been in the running).

If you haven't seen his performance in TT, then go and rent it tonight. He's absolutely amazing playing a black guy. He's also very, very good in Iron Man.

Congrats on your Oscar nomination and keep up the good work Downey! You were - and now are again - one of the best actors of our generation.

SWEET! He was absolutely, ridiculously, amazingly, awesome in this role. You completely forgot that it was actually him. Brilliant performance to say the least. He deserves this nomination, no doubt about it. Is this for best supporting actor or lead role?

Cruise was very good too, it took me a minute to realize that it was him, and he did play in it longer than 5 minutes...but, by far, Downie was much better.

Downie for supporting I think
    The Silfer Server
    Veteran
    Veteran

Post by The Silfer Server on Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:36 am

Snuh wrote:
    504Heater wrote:Did he make one great film during their time together though? He's got $$, now he needs to make sure Mat Vaughn is with him every step of the way and they need to get back to basics and make some cool Dung. Sherlock is gonna rock I hope.

I'm not the biggest Guy fan. I kind of think he's a one-trick-pony. I did like Lock Stock and Snatch, but they're pretty similar in many ways. It'll be interesting to see what he can do with Sherlock.

You should check out Revolver. It's not like Lock Stock or Snatch, but it's still different. It's hard to explain, it brings the abstract with the concrete, a bunch of hidden meanings. Personally, I loved it. It's a movie that will definitely make you think.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:03 pm

Bass Destruction wrote:

You should check out Revolver. It's not like Lock Stock or Snatch, but it's still different. It's hard to explain, it brings the abstract with the concrete, a bunch of hidden meanings. Personally, I loved it. It's a movie that will definitely make you think.

I'm picking it up tonight.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:15 pm

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 48187
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by wprager on Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:55 pm

Star (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0286151/). It was one of the short films in The Hire series done for BMW's DVD. They starred Clive Owen as the driver, and BMW as his car. Madonna played a spoiled "star" in Ritchie's film.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:59 pm

Snuh wrote:
    Phoenix30 wrote:Can't rule out Mickie Rourke as well. He got nominated for best actor for the wrestler. Not a big fan of him but I suspect he has a good chance since he won a globe a few weeks back for best actor.

Rourke is awesome! So is director Darren Aronofsky, who is responsible for such recent cinema gems as Pi, Requiem For a Dream, and The Fountain(which I thought was Diddle brilliant, although it was booed at Cannes when it premiered). Can't wait to see The Wrestler!

The Fountain started out with definite possibilities of brilliance. It lost some of its shine by the end, though. I'm not panning it (I certainly wouldn't boo it) but it didn't live up to expectations that I had in the first half or so.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:01 pm

What about Ledger for best actor.
    Snuh
    Rookie
    Rookie

Post by Snuh on Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:09 pm

wprager wrote:What about Ledger for best actor.

He was great as the Joker, but my money is on Eastwood. Possibly Rourke, but I haven't seen the Wrestler yet.
    SensGirl11
    Mod
    Mod

Number of posts : 5050
    Registration date : 2008-08-13

Post by SensGirl11 on Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:26 pm

Snuh
    Rookie
    Rookie

Post by Snuh on Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:55 pm

Well, I stand corrected. Eastwood was snubbed! Too bad. He was awesome in Gran Torino playing a racist Korean war vet.

Nice to see David Fincher(The Game, Se7en, Fight Club) finale get some credit as a great director.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:17 pm

Snuh wrote:
    Well, I stand corrected. Eastwood was snubbed! Too bad. He was awesome in Gran Torino playing a racist Korean war vet.

Nice to see David Fincher(The Game, Se7en, Fight Club) finale get some credit as a great director.

And Zodiac too. Go Fincher!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:33 pm