GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GM Hockey » Alphabet soup + Anouncements! » Rant 'n' Rave » Rant 'n' Rave about whatever.

Rant 'n' Rave about whatever.

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

16Rant 'n' Rave about whatever. - Page 2 Empty Re: Rant 'n' Rave about whatever. on Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:07 pm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator
Look out I'm running the board!

17Rant 'n' Rave about whatever. - Page 2 Empty Re: Rant 'n' Rave about whatever. on Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:10 pm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator
Yattaaaa!

Rant 'n' Rave about whatever. - Page 2 Captur10

18Rant 'n' Rave about whatever. - Page 2 Empty Re: Rant 'n' Rave about whatever. on Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:39 am

NEELY

Mod
Mod
My bro won the college ball pool ticket last night... 2 winners. 13,500 bones each, not bad.

NFL today

19Rant 'n' Rave about whatever. - Page 2 Empty Re: Rant 'n' Rave about whatever. on Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:18 am

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
i'm in a suicide league, $100 per person, 28 people so far. Wow. Everyone will be picking Indy today I would assume.

20Rant 'n' Rave about whatever. - Page 2 Empty Re: Rant 'n' Rave about whatever. on Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:03 am

NEELY

Mod
Mod
I am in a few as well, one being $100 as well.  I am going with the Steelers today but am sooooo tempted to take the Browns.  Indy plays Jacksonville later on this season so I would like to save them for that game.

Cash prize in this suicide pool is about 70,000.

21Rant 'n' Rave about whatever. - Page 2 Empty Re: Rant 'n' Rave about whatever. on Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:25 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Well, I want to rant and not rave. This time about OC Transpo. My oldest just got a part time job at Walmart. We are in Morgan's Grant, the store is about a 10 minute drive (Centrum location). On some days he may have to take the bus, so I did a Trip Planner for today (Sunday), getting him there for his 1PM shift start. We used to have a milk run route that ran through Morgan's Grant (along Halton Terrace, which is a block away and a block over to get to the actual stop) and took about a half hour to get to the Centrum. This year the route is gone. Instead we have the new 93 route, which comes up as far as Klondike and then goes back to March Rd (so about an extra 5 minute walk from our house), and it doesn't bother passing by the Centrum on its way to the Eagleson Park'n'Ride. So, in total, 2 buses, 59 minutes, including 19 minutes walking (the drop off at the Centrum is the bus depot behind the cinemas, which is probably longer than the 5 minute walk they Trip Planner had). This got him there for 12:55 and I didn't think the last part of the walk was 5 minutes, so I figured I'd try the "Earlier" option -- who knows, maybe it would be a shorter wait for the transfer, or a different route from Eagleson that lets him off on Castlefrank or something. Get this -- this route had him taking a bus *to Bayshore* and then catching one coming back the other way. You have got to be kidding me! It's a 7.5 km ride and they send you to Bayshore and back?

22Rant 'n' Rave about whatever. - Page 2 Empty Re: Rant 'n' Rave about whatever. on Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:25 pm

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star
Notated how good the bus system is, it'll never be able to please everyone and there will always be dead spots. I've had to take two, sometimes (very occasionally) three busses to get where I was going. I was always just happy that I didn't have to buy a car (until I bought one). I'm sure it would be great if they picked him up at your front door and dropped him off directly, but that isn't reality. They can't (and shouldn't) plan for every possible route. Just be happy that there's a bus route to get him to work, or buy him a bike. 7.5 km is nothing in a bike.

23Rant 'n' Rave about whatever. - Page 2 Empty Re: Rant 'n' Rave about whatever. on Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:03 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Diddle the Steelers

24Rant 'n' Rave about whatever. - Page 2 Empty Re: Rant 'n' Rave about whatever. on Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:31 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
spader wrote:Notated how good the bus system is, it'll never be able to please everyone and there will always be dead spots. I've had to take two, sometimes (very occasionally) three busses to get where I was going. I was always just happy that I didn't have to buy a car (until I bought one). I'm sure it would be great if they picked him up at your front door and dropped him off directly, but that isn't reality. They can't (and shouldn't) plan for every possible route. Just be happy that there's a bus route to get him to work, or buy him a bike. 7.5 km is nothing in a bike.
Every possible route? I see the Centrum as a *main* destination, here. I've lived in Montreal and Ottawa, so I've had a chance to compare. OC Transpo is useless.

25Rant 'n' Rave about whatever. - Page 2 Empty Re: Rant 'n' Rave about whatever. on Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:44 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod
Ev wrote:Diddle the Steelers
Well said. F*CK

26Rant 'n' Rave about whatever. - Page 2 Empty Re: Rant 'n' Rave about whatever. on Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:14 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
spader wrote:Notated how good the bus system is, it'll never be able to please everyone and there will always be dead spots. I've had to take two, sometimes (very occasionally) three busses to get where I was going. I was always just happy that I didn't have to buy a car (until I bought one). I'm sure it would be great if they picked him up at your front door and dropped him off directly, but that isn't reality. They can't (and shouldn't) plan for every possible route. Just be happy that there's a bus route to get him to work, or buy him a bike. 7.5 km is nothing in a bike.
You should run for Ottawa city council.

27Rant 'n' Rave about whatever. - Page 2 Empty Re: Rant 'n' Rave about whatever. on Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:28 pm

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star
wprager wrote:
Every possible route?  I see the Centrum as a *main* destination, here.  I've lived in Montreal and Ottawa, so I've had a chance to compare.   OC Transpo is useless.
I've used OC Transpo thousands of times. I've definitely had problems with it, but it's a great service. Still, I can understand that they took a route that your son needed away and that makes life more difficult. I guess I just have a different way of looking at it.

28Rant 'n' Rave about whatever. - Page 2 Empty Re: Rant 'n' Rave about whatever. on Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:50 pm

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran
wprager wrote:Well, I want to rant and not rave.  This time about OC Transpo.  My oldest just got a part time job at Walmart.  We are in Morgan's Grant, the store is about a 10 minute drive (Centrum location).  On some days he may have to take the bus, so I did a Trip Planner for today (Sunday), getting him there for his 1PM shift start.  We used to have a milk run route that ran through Morgan's Grant (along Halton Terrace, which is a block away and a block over to get to the actual stop) and took about a half hour to get to the Centrum.  This year the route is gone.  Instead we have the new 93 route, which comes up as far as Klondike and then goes back to March Rd (so about an extra 5 minute walk from our house), and it doesn't bother passing by the Centrum on its way to the Eagleson Park'n'Ride.  So, in total, 2 buses, 59 minutes, including 19 minutes walking (the drop off at the Centrum is the bus depot behind the cinemas, which is probably longer than the 5 minute walk they Trip Planner had).  This got him there for 12:55 and I didn't think the last part of the walk was 5 minutes, so I figured I'd try the "Earlier" option -- who  knows, maybe it would be a shorter wait for the transfer, or a different route from Eagleson that lets him off on Castlefrank or something.  Get this -- this route had him taking a bus *to Bayshore* and then catching one coming back the other way.  You have got to be kidding me!  It's a 7.5 km ride and they send you to Bayshore and back?
You should try on Google Maps. I saw this one guy try the trip planner to get him to work by 6 am, and it told him to leave at 1:15 am to get there on time. Some other guy checked it on Google Maps and found a 45 minute route.

All this to say is that maybe it's just their trip planner that sucks. See if Google's bus alternative isn't faster

29Rant 'n' Rave about whatever. - Page 2 Empty Re: Rant 'n' Rave about whatever. on Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:33 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Spader, no offense, you say OC Transpo is great, but what do you have to compare it to? They are horribly overpriced, inefficient, and definitely bias is showing when you look at how some areas are underserviced (and Kanata is probably not the only one).

30Rant 'n' Rave about whatever. - Page 2 Empty Re: Rant 'n' Rave about whatever. on Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:55 pm

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star
wprager wrote:Spader, no offense, you say OC Transpo is great, but what do you have to compare it to?  They are horribly overpriced, inefficient, and definitely bias is showing when you look at how some areas are underserviced (and Kanata is probably not the only one).
I'm not really comparing it to any other system, though I've lived in other cities and other countries and could compare it to the other systems that I've used. I just think that it always got me where I was going, and I depended on it for years and years. I've lived and worked in several areas in the city and the bus was my main means of transportation for most of my adult life. Of course it could be better, but it served me well. Shrug 

31Rant 'n' Rave about whatever. - Page 2 Empty Re: Rant 'n' Rave about whatever. on Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:48 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
spader wrote:
I'm not really comparing it to any other system, though I've lived in other cities and other countries and could compare it to the other systems that I've used. I just think that it always got me where I was going, and I depended on it for years and years. I've lived and worked in several areas in the city and the bus was my main means of transportation for most of my adult life. Of course it could be better, but it served me well. Shrug 

My first introduction to OC Transpo was when a friend of mine from the Grad Cave (where all the grad students in CompSci lived at Concordia) got a job at Nortel. I asked him what it was like and he said "It's great. In the morning, there's like 4-5 different buses I can take to get to work, so I take the first one that comes; same thing on the way back -- I don't really have to keep to a schedule."

At first I thought that was great, but when you step back: this is not sustainable because you simply cannot have broad coverage where every area is service by multiple routes (and, in his case, all going to the same destination). This, inevitably, leads to either huge costs or spotty service. With our luck, it seems we got both.

32Rant 'n' Rave about whatever. - Page 2 Empty Re: Rant 'n' Rave about whatever. on Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:00 am

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star
Fair enough. I shouldn't have argued about it. This is "Rant and Rave" not "Defend your Position."

33Rant 'n' Rave about whatever. - Page 2 Empty Re: Rant 'n' Rave about whatever. on Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:50 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
spader wrote:Fair enough. I shouldn't have argued about it. This is "Rant and Rave" not "Defend your Position."
Ah, yes, second thread on the right.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum