Dregers 10 players to watch at the deadline

    Share

    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 24783
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

    Re: Dregers 10 players to watch at the deadline

    Post by SeawaySensFan on Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:54 am

    Cronenbergfan wrote:For what it's worth, I've been texting and emailing with a source, and apparently Murray's 'dumping' list (if you will) includes the following:

    Kuba (DUH!)
    Smith
    Lee
    Vermettte
    Schubert
    Neil
    McAmmond
    and a slim possibility of Picard... but I strongly question that and Smith personally.

    Either way, I'd be curious to see who Murray can turn into valuable picks and such...

    Hmmm. Kelly off the list, Vermette on the list. Murray must really hate french people.

    Kelly can be easily replaced at half the cost. Ryan "Del" Shannon could easily play his role.

    davetherave
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 6803
    Registration date : 2009-01-22

    Re: Dregers 10 players to watch at the deadline

    Post by davetherave on Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:55 am

    Cronenbergfan wrote:For what it's worth, I've been texting and emailing with a source, and apparently Murray's 'dumping' list (if you will) includes the following:

    Kuba (DUH!)
    Smith
    Lee
    Vermettte
    Schubert
    Neil
    McAmmond
    and a slim possibility of Picard... but I strongly question that and Smith personally.

    Either way, I'd be curious to see who Murray can turn into valuable picks and such...

    Are you surprised not to see Fisher on that list?

    caissie_1
    Veteran
    Veteran

    Number of posts : 1579
    Registration date : 2009-01-27

    Re: Dregers 10 players to watch at the deadline

    Post by caissie_1 on Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:58 am

    I could see a team talking 2 out of those 3 but all three to one teams seems alot. If im a contender i will get a missing peice but 3 peices is a big roster shake up if you ask me for a team that's a contender.
    avatar
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 24783
    Age : 45
    Location : Cornwall, ON
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

    Re: Dregers 10 players to watch at the deadline

    Post by SeawaySensFan on Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:00 pm

    davetherave wrote:Are you surprised not to see Fisher on that list?

    He's probably not french enough.
    avatar
    davetherave
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 6803
    Favorite Team : Chicago
    Registration date : 2009-01-22

    Re: Dregers 10 players to watch at the deadline

    Post by davetherave on Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:05 pm

    SeawaySensFan wrote:
    davetherave wrote:Are you surprised not to see Fisher on that list?

    He's probably not french enough.

    But isn't his real name 'Michel Le Pecheur'? LOL
    avatar
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

    Number of posts : 54591
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

    Re: Dregers 10 players to watch at the deadline

    Post by PTFlea on Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:22 pm

    His No Movement Clause takes him off any potential trade list until 2010/11 where he is absolutely fair game.
    avatar
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 24783
    Age : 45
    Location : Cornwall, ON
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

    Re: Dregers 10 players to watch at the deadline

    Post by SeawaySensFan on Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:50 pm

    504Heater wrote:His No Movement Clause takes him off any potential trade list until 2010/11 where he is absolutely fair game.

    I'm sure most of us are aware of that clause. Doesn't mean he shouldn't be on a dump list.
    avatar
    dennycrane
    Veteran
    Veteran

    Number of posts : 2121
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-17

    Re: Dregers 10 players to watch at the deadline

    Post by dennycrane on Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:55 pm

    So Chris Neil (38 GP, 2 G, 4 A, -11) deserves a raise? If you want to keep him fine, but Cody Bass will do the same as Neil at half the cost next year.

    Apart from Volchenkov and Alfie, I think Murray listens to all offers.

    Darren Dreger, IMO, and his columns have the intellectual depth of a Mr. Turtle pool.
    avatar
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

    Number of posts : 54591
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

    Re: Dregers 10 players to watch at the deadline

    Post by PTFlea on Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:20 pm

    SeawaySensFan wrote:
    I'm sure most of us are aware of that clause. Doesn't mean he shouldn't be on a dump list.

    Haha. Fine, doesn't seem like many people get it. That's why no one on a TSN panel has him on a 'deadline' list. What happens, you threaten his life so he waives his NMC?

    Yeah...it doesn't work like that.

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: Dregers 10 players to watch at the deadline

    Post by Guest on Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:23 pm

    I hope we haven't started dumping on Neil. Come on. The guy isn't here to score points. His UFA status is a problem but we have NO toughness without him. If he is pushing for more than $1.5M we have to grudgingly let him go but I personally am hoping it doesn't come to that.
    avatar
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 24783
    Age : 45
    Location : Cornwall, ON
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

    Re: Dregers 10 players to watch at the deadline

    Post by SeawaySensFan on Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:27 pm

    504Heater wrote:
    Yeah...it doesn't work like that.

    Of course it doesn't. It doesn't make it right either.

    I only think death threats are a last resort and should only come after all other options have been explored.

    For example, tell the player they will be dealt as soon as their No Movement Clause expires so he might as well submit a list of teams that may interest him and work from there.
    avatar
    Phoenix30
    Veteran
    Veteran

    Number of posts : 1271
    Age : 45
    Location : Turner Valley, Alberta
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-15

    Re: Dregers 10 players to watch at the deadline

    Post by Phoenix30 on Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:06 pm

    Cronenbergfan wrote:For what it's worth, I've been texting and emailing with a source, and apparently Murray's 'dumping' list (if you will) includes the following:

    Kuba (DUH!)
    Smith
    Lee
    Vermettte
    Schubert
    Neil
    McAmmond
    and a slim possibility of Picard... but I strongly question that and Smith personally.

    Either way, I'd be curious to see who Murray can turn into valuable picks and such...

    I'd keep Smith and Picard. I'd be afraid if he move Smith this year we would regret it next season when the D is rebuilt. If things dont go well next season then he can be traded at the deadline
    avatar
    Riprock
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 11867
    Age : 33
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: Dregers 10 players to watch at the deadline

    Post by Riprock on Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:09 pm

    I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't anyone on the Sens that was available come deadline. It is more than wishful thinking that the Sens can or will make the playoffs. Even if they did, and were to be the hottest team in the NHL, past experience would indicate an early exit anyways.

    Obviously the players with NTC's and Daniel Alfredsson, being longest serving Senator and captain, is unlikely to be moved.

    Jason Spezza has been our best player, and would be a shame to trade him. Heatley is a marvelous player as well and should not be moved.

    Outside the big three, the only other staple player I would not move is Volchenkov, as there is hardly anyone like him in the NHL, and he is one of, if not the most, hard working, selfless players in the game.

    Other players I would be very hesitant to move are:
    1. Jesse Winchester - one of the best players along the boards right now, gives a solid effort every shift. Very strong on the puck and very smart hockey sense.
    2. Nick Foligno - a first round pick in 06, and a very strong kid who can dominate the game when he's at his best. Still has ways to come, must not give up on him this soon.
    3. Alex Picard - just acquired and obviously was a key piece to the Meszaros trade. Young and is producing very well on the blueline and on the PP.
    4. Brian Lee - has been inconsistent at times, but he's very young, and could be a very good offensive player for us, perhaps a solid top 4 offensive defenceman.

    Outside of those guys on the roster, if the right offer comes along, consider it done. I am not considering trades for part-time Ottawa players like Regin, Zubov and Bass. They should be safe.

    Teams will pay for solid defensive veterans like Smith, Phillips and Kuba. Ottawa should consider moving these guys and filling their shoes with younger, cheaper players. Perhaps call up Matt Carkner and Matt Karlsson.

    If we move a lot of our older, expensive and pending free agent players, we can stockpile on picks and get some more prospects and cheap role players to fill in the voids for the meantime. Give younger players a shot while increasing our chances of a higher pick.

    If Elliott is our guy, so be it, he and Auld will carry the team for a few years. If not, then you go get Nick Backstrom. The team needs a top six power forward winger as well as solid defensive defenceman who can still keep up with todays game. I'd address those needs in the draft and/or free agency.

    Hopefully a guy like Chris Neil can be dealt and then re-sign in the off season if he takes a discount.

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: Dregers 10 players to watch at the deadline

    Post by Guest on Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:16 pm

    Nick Foligno "can dominate a game, when he's at his best"?? I'm pretty sure I've seen every game he's played in a Sens uni and I'm pretty sure thats a massive overstatement of his abilities.
    SeawaySensFan wrote:
    Cronenbergfan wrote:For what it's worth, I've been texting and emailing with a source, and apparently Murray's 'dumping' list (if you will) includes the following:

    Kuba (DUH!)
    Smith
    Lee
    Vermettte
    Schubert
    Neil
    McAmmond
    and a slim possibility of Picard... but I strongly question that and Smith personally.

    Either way, I'd be curious to see who Murray can turn into valuable picks and such...

    Hmmm. Kelly off the list, Vermette on the list. Murray must really hate french people.

    Kelly can be easily replaced at half the cost. Ryan "Del" Shannon could easily play his role.
    The way you guys underrate Kelly and Fisher is mind-boggling. Ryan Shannon cannot come close to filling Kelly's role, let alone doing it "easily".... Give your head a shake and watch him play.


    Last edited by cash on Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
    avatar
    asq2
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 7179
    Favorite Team : Detroit
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: Dregers 10 players to watch at the deadline

    Post by asq2 on Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:22 pm

    DashRiprock wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't anyone on the Sens that was available come deadline. It is more than wishful thinking that the Sens can or will make the playoffs. Even if they did, and were to be the hottest team in the NHL, past experience would indicate an early exit anyways.

    Obviously the players with NTC's and Daniel Alfredsson, being longest serving Senator and captain, is unlikely to be moved.

    Jason Spezza has been our best player, and would be a shame to trade him. Heatley is a marvelous player as well and should not be moved.

    Outside the big three, the only other staple player I would not move is Volchenkov, as there is hardly anyone like him in the NHL, and he is one of, if not the most, hard working, selfless players in the game.

    Other players I would be very hesitant to move are:
    1. Jesse Winchester - one of the best players along the boards right now, gives a solid effort every shift. Very strong on the puck and very smart hockey sense.
    2. Nick Foligno - a first round pick in 06, and a very strong kid who can dominate the game when he's at his best. Still has ways to come, must not give up on him this soon.
    3. Alex Picard - just acquired and obviously was a key piece to the Meszaros trade. Young and is producing very well on the blueline and on the PP.
    4. Brian Lee - has been inconsistent at times, but he's very young, and could be a very good offensive player for us, perhaps a solid top 4 offensive defenceman.

    Outside of those guys on the roster, if the right offer comes along, consider it done. I am not considering trades for part-time Ottawa players like Regin, Zubov and Bass. They should be safe.

    Teams will pay for solid defensive veterans like Smith, Phillips and Kuba. Ottawa should consider moving these guys and filling their shoes with younger, cheaper players. Perhaps call up Matt Carkner and Matt Karlsson.

    If we move a lot of our older, expensive and pending free agent players, we can stockpile on picks and get some more prospects and cheap role players to fill in the voids for the meantime. Give younger players a shot while increasing our chances of a higher pick.

    If Elliott is our guy, so be it, he and Auld will carry the team for a few years. If not, then you go get Nick Backstrom. The team needs a top six power forward winger as well as solid defensive defenceman who can still keep up with todays game. I'd address those needs in the draft and/or free agency.

    Hopefully a guy like Chris Neil can be dealt and then re-sign in the off season if he takes a discount.

    Agreed 100% (except about Backstrom: I'll always be hesitant of Minnesota goaltenders).

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: Dregers 10 players to watch at the deadline

    Post by Guest on Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:26 pm

    Likewise ^ We would have to overpay to win him on the open market and he is a big question mark in any other system. I don't think people recognize how great a potential there is for it to be Gerber part 2...
    avatar
    Riprock
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 11867
    Age : 33
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: Dregers 10 players to watch at the deadline

    Post by Riprock on Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:27 pm

    I can see why you'd be hesitant, because of the solid, defense first mentality in Minny, but right now he's the best goalie in the NHL, and has been at or near the top for a few years. Good chance he doesn't even make it to free agency anyways. Ottawa has been horrible when it comes to goalies and free agency. Emery's deal turned out to haunt them, and Martin Gerber was a huge disappointment. Our best most recent signing was Dom Hasek, and even that turned sour.

    But seriously, if Elliott is not going to be a NHL level goalie, or more importantly, a top one, then Ottawa finally has to address the goalie situation once and for all. Too much disappointment and question marks over the years. Mike Eastwood was on Hockey Central and was discussing Brian Elliott and said the jury was out on him as being a #1 goalie, or even if he could be an NHL level goalie.

    Hey, Backstorm is only one option. There's also Khabibulin, and some teams might have some goalies for sale.

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: Dregers 10 players to watch at the deadline

    Post by Guest on Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:34 pm

    Spezza has been this teams best player??? On what planet?

    Sponsored content

    Re: Dregers 10 players to watch at the deadline

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:59 pm