Deadline Day Scenarios

Re: Deadline Day Scenarios

Post by Guest on Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:28 pm

I would try to move Heatley and Neil to LA for O'Sullivan a good D prospect and their first.

I would move Spezza at the draft unless a good deadline deal came up such as Sam Gagner from Edmonton or Suter from Nashville, etc..

Kuba goes to the highest bidder (including a desperate Montreal team).

Post by Guest on Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:32 pm

Phoenix30 wrote:Being GM I would trade:

Kelly to Edmonton for Alex Plante and the highest possible pick I can get out of Edmonton.

Kuba to Florida for Mathias and a 1st. If not interested then the highest bidder.

Vermette to Chicago for Barker

Fisher and Schubert to Nashville for the rights to Radulov and Suter

I would love to get Suter. Radulov may very well end up crawling back to the NHL with his tail between his legs now that the KHL is suffering financially.

Mathias and a 1st may be too much for Kuba.

Post by Guest on Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:52 am

How about Kuba and Vermette for Clutterbuck, Cuma, 1st, and maybe a 3rd or 4th?
    davetherave
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 6803
    Favorite Team : Chicago
    Registration date : 2009-01-22

Post by davetherave on Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:18 am

First of all, thanks to everybody for your comments and critiques.

As I said, these 'trade offers' are just my stab at what 'might' happen...so let's hear your versions!

Smile
    davetherave
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by davetherave on Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:21 am

Here's some more fuel for the trade bonfire.

Larry Wigge at NHL.com did a review of all the UFAs out there and who he feels are the juiciest prizes.

I'm posting his entire article...hope it fires your imagination!

So much to choose from among UFAs

Friday, 01.30.2009 / 10:00 PM / Columns

By Larry Wigge - NHL.com Columnist

"It's too early to figure out exactly who the sellers are going to be before the deadline. We always know there are buyers." -- Blues GM Larry Pleau

It was All-Star weekend in Montreal, and here's a little anecdote that caught my attention in talking to three or four players. "There were three players sitting at a table in their coffee shop. One of the YoungStars wonders, 'What do you think is going to happen? You know ... with the trading deadline coming up?'"

The veteran at the table said, "This, my friend, is where you are going to hear trade rumours involving names that might really surprise you -- including a lot of players here in this room."

That said, the YoungStar looked around. Meanwhile, the veteran pointed to Boston goaltender
    Tim Thomas, St. Louis forward Keith Tkachuk, Anaheim defenseman Scott Niedermayer, Florida defenseman Jay Bouwmeester, Minnesota goalie Niklas Backstrom and Montreal forward Alex Kovalev.

The YoungStar said, "He told me, 'I'm not saying they are going to be traded, but each one of those guys can become unrestricted free agents in July -- and if there is any doubt that their teams can re-sign them, they could be dealt.'"

Detroit Red Wings center Henrik Zetterberg was one of the biggest names on that potential unrestricted free-agent list before he agreed to terms on a new 12-year deal. But there are plenty of potential UFAs left.

The March 4 NHL trade deadline is kind of like a crossroads of life in the present -- with teams looking to get better for a playoff run -- and future -- with other teams trying to grow with young players and draft choices to perhaps be in that position next season.

Even if teams are nudged right up against the $56.7-million salary cap, contenders usually can find some creative ways to make a deal they think will make them stronger for the stretch run and in the playoffs.

Last season, each of the teams in last season's conference semifinals -- Detroit (
    Brad Stuart), Colorado (Adam Foote, Ruslan Salei), Dallas (Brad Richards), San Jose (Brian Campbell, Jody Shelley, Brian Boucher), Philadelphia (Vinny Prospal), Montreal (traded Cristobal Huet to give the No. 1 goaltending job to Carey Price), Pittsburgh (Marian Hossa, Pascal Dupuis, Hal Gill) and New York Rangers (Fredrik Sjostrom, Christian Backman) -- made a deal before the Feb. 28 deadline.

"Cap and team chemistry are the primary concerns a general manager faces when he looks to make a deal before the deadline," said
    Boston Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli.

continues...
    davetherave
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by davetherave on Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:24 am

Part two of Wigge's article:

So much to choose from among UFAs--Part Two

Friday, 01.30.2009 / 10:00 PM / Columns

By Larry Wigge - NHL.com Columnist

The easiest way to determine sellers is take a look at the standings and see who's below the playoff cutoff line. The New York Islanders fit that seller category, being 20 points out of a playoff position. Next were Atlanta and Ottawa, 12 points back, followed by Toronto, Tampa Bay and St. Louis, each nine points out of the playoffs.

"In this business, you know what you want," said Sharks GM Doug Wilson. "But trying to acquire players to fill your needs doesn't always happen in the time frame you want or at the price you want to pay. But the bottom line is you have to be active. You can't stand still. You have to be proactive. You have to show the players in your locker room that you're trying to give them everything they need to be the best they can be. I think you owe them that."

In recent weeks, there have been rumours about star players like Tampa Bay center
    Vincent Lecavalier and Anaheim defenseman Chris Pronger being traded. The rumours about Minnesota's Marian Gaborik started early, although the potential free-agent-to-be now is injured and unlikely to be dealt. You can forget about the rumblings of Atlanta's Ilya Kovalchuk being traded a year before his contract expires with the Thrashers, but there is good reason to expect Toronto defenseman Tomas Kaberle to waive his no-trade clause.

So that brings us back to the potential unrestricted free-agent list and who might be available. For those still unconvinced about where most of these trades will come from, here is a list of UFAs already dealt this season -- Daryl Sydor went from Pittsburgh to Dallas for
    Philippe Boucher; Brad May went from Anaheim to Toronto; Jason LaBarbera went from Los Angeles to Vancouver; Jason Williams went from Atlanta to Columbus for Clay Wilson; Dany Sabourin went from Pittsburgh to Edmonton. Florida defenseman Cory Murphy went on waivers to Tampa Bay, and Ottawa goalie Martin Gerber, also a potential UFA, likely will wind up in another NHL city soon.

continues...

Last edited by davetherave on Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:24 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : italics)
    davetherave
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by davetherave on Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:32 am

Part 3:

So much to choose from among UFAs--Part 3

The hot scorers -- Buffalo's Maxim Afinogenov and Ales Kotalik; Calgary's Michael Cammalleri and David Moss; Chicago's Martin Havlat; Dallas' Jere Lehtinen, Joel Lundqvist and Mark Parrish; Detroit's Mikael Samuelsson; Minnesota's Marian Gaborik (injured); Montreal's Alex Kovalev and Alex Tanguay; Nashville's Steve Sullivan; New Jersey's Brian Gionta; Pittsburgh's Petr Sykora, Ruslan Fedotenko and Miroslav Satan; Tampa Bay's Mark Recchi and Gary Roberts; Toronto's Mikhail Grabovski; Vancouver's Daniel Sedin.

The energy players -- Anaheim's
    Samuel Pahlsson, Rob Niedermayer, Todd Marchant and Travis Moen; Boston's P.J. Axelsson; Colorado's Ben Guite and Ian Laperriere; Florida's Radek Dvorak; Los Angeles' Derek Armstrong and Kyle Calder; Minnesota's Stephane Veilleux; Montreal's Mathieu Dandenault and Tom Kostopoulos; Nashville's Radek Bonk and Vernon Fiddler; the Rangers' Blair Betts; Ottawa's Dean McAmmond and Chris Neil; San Jose's Mike Grier; St. Louis' Dan Hinote; Toronto's Dominic Moore and Jeremy Williams; Vancouver's Alex Burrows.

Power-forward section -- Calgary's
    Todd Bertuzzi; Detroit's Marian Hossa and Johan Franzen; Edmonton's Erik Cole; New Jersey's Mike Rupp; the Islanders' Bill Guerin; Philadelphia's Mike Knuble; St. Louis' Keith Tkachuk and Brad Winchester; Vancouver's Taylor Pyatt; Washington's Viktor Kozlov.

Middle level -- Anaheim's Brendan Morrison; Atlanta's Marty Reasoner; Buffalo's Tim Connolly; Colorado's Joe Sakic; Columbus' Manny Malhotra and Michael Peca; Montreal's Saku Koivu and Robert Lang; New Jersey's John Madden; the Islanders' Mike Comrie, Doug Weight and Mike Sillinger (injured); Phoenix's Steven Reinprecht; St. Louis' Andy McDonald; Toronto's Nik Antropov; Vancouver's Henrik Sedin; Washington's Sergei Fedorov.

continues...
    davetherave
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by davetherave on Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:33 am

And finally, Part 4:

The meat and potato defensemen -- Anaheim's Scott Niedermayer, Francois Beauchemin (injured) and Kent Huskins; Atlanta's Mathieu Schneider and Niclas Havelid; Boston's Shane Hnidy; Buffalo's Jaroslav Spacek; Calgary's Adrian Aucoin; Carolina's Dennis Seidenberg; Colorado's Jordan Leopold; Columbus' Christian Backman; Dallas' Darryl Sydor and Sergei Zubov; Florida's Jay Bouwmeester and Nick Boynton; Los Angeles' Sean O'Donnell; Minnesota's Marc-Andre Bergeron, Eric Reitz and Martin Skoula; Montreal's Mike Komisarek; Nashville's Greg de Vries, Ville Koistinen and Greg Zanon; New Jersey's Johnny Oduya; the Rangers' Dmitri Kalinin and Paul Mara; Ottawa's Filip Kuba; Philadelphia's Andrew Alberts; Phoenix's Derek Morris; Pittsburgh's Philippe Boucher, Hal Gill and Rob Scuderi; San Jose's Rob Blake and Kyle McLaren; Vancouver's Mattias Ohlund.

The Goalies: Boston's
    Tim Thomas and Manny Fernandez; Chicago's Nikolai Khabibulin; Colorado's Andrew Raycroft; Detroit's Ty Conklin; Edmonton's Dwayne Roloson; Los Angeles' Erik Ersberg; Minnesota's Nicklas Backstrom; New Jersey's Scott Clemmensen and Kevin Weekes; Ottawa's Martin Gerber; Philadelphia's Martin Biron and Antero Niittymaki; Phoenix's Mikael Tellqvist; San Jose's Brian Boucher; St. Louis' Manny Legace; Washington's Brent Johnson.

Other players most likely to change teams by the deadline --
    Mike Comrie; Nik Antropov; Brendan Morrison; Mathieu Schneider; Maxim Afinogenov; Greg de Vries; Kyle McLaren; Niclas Havelid; Michael Peca; Jay Bouwmeester; Manny Legace; Mark Recchi; Gary Roberts.

Post by Guest on Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:13 am

RobbyJ wrote:I would try to move Heatley and Neil to LA for O'Sullivan a good D prospect and their first.

I would move Spezza at the draft unless a good deadline deal came up such as Sam Gagner from Edmonton or Suter from Nashville, etc..

Kuba goes to the highest bidder (including a desperate Montreal team).

I think Heatley and Neil could fetch more than that. Heatley alone would fetch more than that I would say. With Neil rebounding this season, he could be a valuable piece for a team looking for some playable muscle.
    davetherave
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by davetherave on Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:59 am

So Hem, who do you think the buyers are for available Senators players?

Post by Guest on Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:04 pm

Chicago will def be looking at some toughness with skill and I think Neil is a good prosect to land there.

Schubert will prob get dealt to a team that needs some defensive depth. A team like Philly is a good contender.

Kuba may end up in in a place like Calgary or Philly as well.

I would def say that a deal with Chicago is coming at some point before the deadline is over.
    davetherave
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by davetherave on Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:11 pm

N4L, looking at the logjam in the West, are any of those teams buyers?

With the Canucks sliding, do you think Mike Gillis will be calling Mr Murray?

Last edited by davetherave on Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:12 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

Post by Guest on Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:16 pm

I think the teams in the west that make the biggest pitches for guys are all in the top 4 there. A team like Columbus is also going to ake heavy pitches to try and get into the playoffs, they need to for their organization, this is their biggest year in history, so you will see them trying to improve their team.

In the East things are basically set from about 6th up. Pitts is looking like they are going to fall out of the race and Carolina is not anything to write hom about.

There will be biding wars involving about 10 teams IMO and depending on their needs, we could get some pretty good prospects and or picks for some of our players.
    davetherave
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by davetherave on Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:48 pm

N4L, agreed. I am listening to the Team 1200 pregame show right now and Ian Mendes suggested that Bryan Murray is going to be fielding a lot of calls.

I see Vancouver and Columbus as the most ardent suitors. Phoenix also has tons of cap room, and now that the NHL has secured their future for next year, they may shop for someone to get them into the postseason.

I remain convinced more than a few of them are looking at Jason Spezza. Maybe Gretzky?

You have to think that Jason is ready to prove his critics wrong, and a move to a team driving towards a playoff spot would give him that chance.

If you're a GM for any of those West 'bubble' teams, who do you offer for JaySpez?

Post by Guest on Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:16 pm

I have no clue what you offer for Spezza, because I wouldnt want him on my team unless I was a GM desperate to bring in a name and a player who has the potential to be a go to guy.

I think any smart GM of any team that is on top of their division or conference will not deal for a guy like Spezza. Too much money for too many problems.

I still still think Niel is gonna get dealt to Chicago, maybe along with Schubert for Barker and a pick perhaps. Just a guess.

If the Yotes want to take a shot on Spezza, or anyone else for that matter, the Sens should count them selves so lucky because Spezza wont reach his potential here. He may very well somewhere else but this is not the right fit for him or the Sens. Time to move on and rebuild in Ottawa.
    davetherave
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by davetherave on Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:24 pm

N4L, as you might expect, I watched the Hawks-Sharks last night--great game BTW--and IMHO they already have energy players like Neil in Byfuglien, Burish, and Eager, so Neil would be superfluous.

I have suggested Scotty Bowman and Dale Tallon may want to add a PK/faceoff man to compliment Versteeg as they are weak in those areas. So I see Vermette or perhaps Sammy Pahlsson as a fit.

They can also use a big forward who can score in front of the net, so I think Antropov may be on their radar; or a vet like Weight, Guerin or Tkachuk.

Martin Havlat wants to re-sign in Chicago which is good for both.

Re: Neil, he is a very affordable option for any number of contenders and bubble teams. There was also talk of him to the Sharks.

PS you are right on about Spezza needing to find a new home. But something tells me that Heatley may be on someone's shopping list.

Last edited by davetherave on Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:24 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

Post by Guest on Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:27 pm

davetherave wrote:N4L, as you might expect, I watched the Hawks-Sharks last night--great game BTW--and IMHO they already have energy players like Neil in Byfuglien, Burish, and Eager, so Neil would be superfluous.

I have suggested Scotty Bowman and Dale Tallon may want to add a PK/faceoff man to compliment Versteeg as they are weak in those areas. So I see Vermette or perhaps Sammy Pahlsson as a fit.

They can also use a big forward who can score in front of the net, so I think Antropov may be on their radar; or a vet like Weight, Guerin or Tkachuk.

Martin Havlat wants to re-sign in Chicago which is good for both.

Re: Neil, he is a very affordable option for any number of contenders and bubble teams. There was also talk of him to the Sharks.

PS you are right on about Spezza needing to find a new home. But something tells me that Heatley may be on someone's shopping list.

Heatley will decide his own fate. Damned NMC Sad
    davetherave
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by davetherave on Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:30 pm

Yes he will Hem, but do you think Heatley really wants to stay in Ottawa? He sure doesn't look like it.

Last edited by davetherave on Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:30 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : sp)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:26 pm