If I hear ‘REBOUND CONTROL’ one more time I am going to scream…

Re: If I hear ‘REBOUND CONTROL’ one more time I am going to scream…

Post by Guest on Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:12 am

McGuire is starting to eat crow, again, tallent is tallent, Elliott has it and he has enough potential to be an elite goaltender in this league for years.

SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 24789
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

Post by SeawaySensFan on Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:14 am

MurderOnIce wrote:My point about MacGuire is that he was primed with his video. His prep for the night was to have that video waiting for the first sign and then say..."see I told you'. That I found irritating and reactionary due to the criticism he was feeling from Sens fans.

To his credit though, he did change his tune after he got to use his video.

It really had nothing to do with Elliott's play and everything to do with McGuire wanting to show that he was right.

He was also trying to make a case for Fisher from the pre-game onward, calling him a "game breaker" and playing a clip of "Fish" that showed him sweeping his stick at Buffalo players and McGuire describing it as some kind of great play!!

Riprock
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 11867
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by Riprock on Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:06 am

I caught the last half or so of the game and I think the first thing I heard from McGuire was positive in regards to Elliott. Something about how he was there just about every time he needed to be and made big saves when he had to.

Again guys, you're lashing out.

Post by Guest on Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:37 pm

DashRiprock wrote:I caught the last half or so of the game and I think the first thing I heard from McGuire was positive in regards to Elliott. Something about how he was there just about every time he needed to be and made big saves when he had to.

Dash... You missed the first five minutes where MacGuire had a video queued up to point out that Eli Wilson was working with Elliot of absorbing the puck.... it was a McQuire saying 'I'm right' kind of moment.

The point of the post is that anyone commenting on goaltending in the NHL talks rebound control and that is about it. No-one talks very much about the other dynamics of playing the position and that is what I find irritating. Just like sheep... BAHH, BAHHH, REBOUND CONTROL. I want more from a commentator than that. If they are there to provide insight it should not be the same crap I hear over and over, else I would prefer to be able to just hear the atmosphere in the arena and not the other crap.

MacGuire just has been the sandpaper in Sens Army's wounds this year by consistently pointing out flaws of the team while gushing about the stars of the league, to the point it is uncomfortable.
    Cronie
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 3032
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by Cronie on Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:39 pm

In all fairness Dash, from the beginning of the broadcast, McGuire was already on the Elliott-isn't-an-nhl-calibre-goalie' train and was already harping on his rebound control, so the outlook for the next 60 mins of commetary seemed rather bleak.

However, he surprisingly changed his tune by the end of the 2nd and into the 3rd and for his monster of the game piece, I was getting ready to buy a 6/49 ticket as I thought the world was ending.

But seriously, he did make almost a complete 180 on his assessment of Elliott in last night's game, so I'll give props to McGuire on that one.
    TheAvatar
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 2728
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by TheAvatar on Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:42 pm

This morning on the Team 1200, he had nothing but good things to say about Elliott. He said him and the goalie coach had identified the weakness and had been working on it and that he was showing tremendous improvement.
    beerandsens
    Sophomore
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 862
    Registration date : 2008-08-10

Post by beerandsens on Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:25 pm

MurderOnIce wrote:
    beerandsens wrote:Acrobat's right about them being hand in hand. Marty Brodeur is a good example of a guy who can choose whether to velcro a shot blocker side or to put it right on his defensmans stick.

And I don't mind you calling out Eli if you have a valid point but so far your arguments have been weak. In your example here Eli is the worst goalie coach ever, working on rebound control which ended up being an improved part of Elliotts game tonight. Doesn't sound like a solid argument against Eli to me.

And before you repeat that Elliotts rebound control is Eli's doing, remember that Eli had to report Elliotts strengths and weaknesses after an initial session and he reported weak rebound prevention/control.

If your team goes to the Stanley Cup final with a pair of goaltenders, one up and coming, the other a high priced veteran. Then you start full time and both goalies are bought out within two years, you aren't doing a good job.

That would be a good point if Gerber was better the year before Eli had arrived and if Emery had worked with Eli during the summer. But he wasn't. Gerber was never a great goalie in Ottawa, and the closest he got was when Eli was first hired and Gerber became Ottawa's starter red hot out of the gate.

Also, Emery called in Eli to do some special work with him during the playoff run and as a result we got steady goaltending and a Stanley Cup final birth.

Emery's lack of rehab on his injured wrist and the time away from Eli and hockey altogether the following summer hurt his game.

What happened after that is the Sens started losing as a team and continued losing until now. To say Eli has something to do with that is pure speculation, I was just wondering if you know something more concrete or if it's your gut feeling.
    beerandsens
    Sophomore
    Sophomore

Post by beerandsens on Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:30 pm

MurderOnIce wrote:
    DashRiprock wrote:I caught the last half or so of the game and I think the first thing I heard from McGuire was positive in regards to Elliott. Something about how he was there just about every time he needed to be and made big saves when he had to.

Dash... You missed the first five minutes where MacGuire had a video queued up to point out that Eli Wilson was working with Elliot of absorbing the puck.... it was a McQuire saying 'I'm right' kind of moment.

The point of the post is that anyone commenting on goaltending in the NHL talks rebound control and that is about it. No-one talks very much about the other dynamics of playing the position and that is what I find irritating. Just like sheep... BAHH, BAHHH, REBOUND CONTROL. I want more from a commentator than that. If they are there to provide insight it should not be the same crap I hear over and over, else I would prefer to be able to just hear the atmosphere in the arena and not the other crap.

MacGuire just has been the sandpaper in Sens Army's wounds this year by consistently pointing out flaws of the team while gushing about the stars of the league, to the point it is uncomfortable.

I like MacGuire but I know what you mean. He is an amplified version of other commentators who will voice their opinion even if it's an easy call or not a very insightful point.

I remember last year he was thrilled with the Senators, thrilled with their team play etc. A few weeks after we started losing he was talking about how we weren't the team to beat. Wow, thanks for that one tips.

And yeah, you can tell he's trying to set up I told you so moments during the broadcast. He loves to be right. I have a high tolerance for people like that though, so I still like him.

Post by Guest on Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:45 pm

beerandsens wrote:That would be a good point if Gerber was better the year before Eli had arrived and if Emery had worked with Eli during the summer. But he wasn't. Gerber was never a great goalie in Ottawa, and the closest he got was when Eli was first hired and Gerber became Ottawa's starter red hot out of the gate.

Also, Emery called in Eli to do some special work with him during the playoff run and as a result we got steady goaltending and a Stanley Cup final birth.

Emery's lack of rehab on his injured wrist and the time away from Eli and hockey altogether the following summer hurt his game.

What happened after that is the Sens started losing as a team and continued losing until now. To say Eli has something to do with that is pure speculation, I was just wondering if you know something more concrete or if it's your gut feeling.

Again I disagree. If my boss handed me a staff of people to manage and within a year and a half he had to buy them out for poor performance, I would be gone, long gone. Emery was going to be the first homegrown goalie to shine in Ottawa. Frig Eli only has to coach 4 guys! (and that's if you include Bingo) He should be all over it, in every aspect of their development. Even Auld came in great and tapered off, losing the starting gig to Elliot. Show me the results, I want results. There are no other teams in the league who bought out both goalies they ended last year with and for big $$$. These results have to be considered and someone should be held accountable.

BTW Gerber was a great goalie in Ottawa he was not consistent at all. He had the hottest start in club history and he was one of the better Sens in the playoffs. He was crap overall though, horrible more than not.
    beerandsens
    Sophomore
    Sophomore

Post by beerandsens on Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:44 pm

You are right to want results, but if your staff didn't spend time with you to work on their results they would be bought out and you would keep your job. Everyone knows Emery did not work with Eli in the summer. It's apples and oranges really.
    beerandsens
    Sophomore
    Sophomore

Post by beerandsens on Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:47 pm

Your results focus is shortsighted.

Management:
    "You, with the cast, get in the gym, do some rehab so you can get on the ice and work on your game".

Ray:
    "No".

Management:
    "Elie you're fired!"

that sounds retarded to me.
    Acrobat
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 1565
    Registration date : 2008-08-06

Post by Acrobat on Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:53 pm

On the other hand, if it's:
    "Ray, you've been out of a cast for six months, I think it's time to actually show up for practice, and do what I hired you to do, because you are sure as hell not doing it on the ice now"

"Whatever..."

Then the coach has to be looked at for not motivating the player (and the GM, if it's a repetitive issue).
    beerandsens
    Sophomore
    Sophomore

Post by beerandsens on Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:55 pm

Head Coach and GM take at least part of the blame there for sure.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:02 am