Cronie
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 3032
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

interesting article for those with small children

Post by Cronie on Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:30 am

Some of you with small children may not be new to this. I'm sure at some point someone has heard the claims of Ms. Jenny "Dumb-arse Blonde" McCarthy chiming away on TV about how the MMR (Measles, Mumps and Rubella) vaccination CAUSES Autism. Well, the answer is now IRREFUTABLY clear: (http://www.slate.com/id/2211156)

FYI.
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Number of posts : 31416
    Location : I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.
    Registration date : 2008-08-12

Re: interesting article for those with small children

Post by shabbs on Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:17 pm

Keep in mind, this ruling is specific to those three children and not a general ruling.
    Cap'n Clutch
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 13608

Post by Cap'n Clutch on Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:16 pm

Sure if you're just concerned about the ruling and not the fact that the benefit of vaccinations WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY out weigh the miniscule risk.

- Unknown Author
    Acrobat
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 1565
    Registration date : 2008-08-06

Post by Acrobat on Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:24 pm

The ruling is just another nail in the coffin, though. The evidence is clear to those who look with an unbiased eye. There have been numerous clinical trials looking at the question, and not one has demonstrated evidence of causality; the closest that McCarthy and her supporters have come is a series of anecdotal reports. The problem with that is the inherent bias ("reporting bias" - you tend to only hear about negative reports)

In terms of weighing the positive versus negative effects, population statistics demonstrate incontrovertible evidence of benefit, but it's hard to argue with the person who had the side effect that was only supposed to happen 0.01% of the time (e.g. say Lipitor will prevent about 3000 heart attacks over 5 years in 100 000 people, but may cause 2 cases of fatal liver/kidney failure due to muscle breakdown - if you are one of the ones that ends up dead, was it worth it?). Therein lies the problem with transferring population statistics down to the individual level.
    Cronie
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 3032

Post by Cronie on Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:35 pm

Bang on Acrobat!!

there's always going to be a risk factor involved, and that certainly will not provide much comfort to the ones on the opposite side of them, but those are the inherent risks I suppose.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:53 am