davetherave
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 6803
    Registration date : 2009-01-22

Re: Outdoor rinks in Kanata/Ottawa

Post by davetherave on Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:51 pm

shabbs wrote:
    strachattack wrote:Graham Part is where I grew up and played most of my outdoor hockey as well. I remember it being soooo cold some nights and had to take refuge in the shack. When it's that cold it was never fun tripping on some bad ice and falling on your knees. Brutal.
    HA! Good times indeed. Luckily the shack was there for shelter. Ahhh... the memories of lacing up my Super Tacks in the bitter cold, shoveling the snow off the ice and playing ice hockey all day long.

I just happened to turn on The Score and they had a special on about the cost of Hockey Rinks Indoor and Outdoor. They mentioned that Ottawa was contemplating pulling the funding for all outdoor rinks. Madness!!! O'Brien backed down on that one thankfully.

The City of Ottawa was actually THINKING of pulling funding for the rinks?????

That's enough to start a people's revolution.

shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Number of posts : 31416
    Registration date : 2008-08-12

Post by shabbs on Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:55 pm

davetherave wrote:
    shabbs wrote:
    strachattack wrote:Graham Part is where I grew up and played most of my outdoor hockey as well. I remember it being soooo cold some nights and had to take refuge in the shack. When it's that cold it was never fun tripping on some bad ice and falling on your knees. Brutal.
    HA! Good times indeed. Luckily the shack was there for shelter. Ahhh... the memories of lacing up my Super Tacks in the bitter cold, shoveling the snow off the ice and playing ice hockey all day long.

I just happened to turn on The Score and they had a special on about the cost of Hockey Rinks Indoor and Outdoor. They mentioned that Ottawa was contemplating pulling the funding for all outdoor rinks. Madness!!! O'Brien backed down on that one thankfully.

The City of Ottawa was actually THINKING of pulling funding for the rinks?????

That's enough to start a people's revolution.
    O'Brien said it was on the table. It would have nuked like 200 outdoor rinks. That and a massive 51% hike in ice rental cost for arenas was being proposed. In the end, they left the outdoor rink funding alone and raised the ice rental costs by 7% as opposed to 51%. A surge that big would have had huge effects on everyone that plays hockey in the city.

davetherave
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by davetherave on Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:57 pm

Shabbs, are the people at City Hall insane???? Look how much they spent on the City Hall building.
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Number of posts : 31416
    Location : I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-12

Post by shabbs on Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:00 pm

davetherave wrote:Shabbs, are the people at City Hall insane???? Look how much they spent on the City Hall building.
    I think they are insane. Luckily, reason won out in the end.
    davetherave
    All-Star
    All-Star

Favorite Team : Chicago

Post by davetherave on Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:02 pm

Can we start an e-mail campaign to protest this insanity by City Hall?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:22 pm