You are not connected. Please login or register

Will Alfredsson get a new contract?

Will Alfredsson and Murray renegotiate a new contract?

80% 80% [ 8 ]
20% 20% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 10

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Will Alfredsson get a new contract? on Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:08 am

Cap'n Clutch

avatar
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Hey all,

As you all know there is an Opt out provision in Alfredsson's contract. Do you think Murray renegotiates a better deal for both sides and avoids this situation all together or do you think he rolls the dice and takes a wait and see attitude? What kind of deal do you think Murray makes if both sides decide to renegotiate?

2 Re: Will Alfredsson get a new contract? on Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:17 am

Cronie

avatar
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Cap'n' Clutch wrote:Hey all,

As you all know there is an Opt out provision in Alfredsson's contract. Do you think Murray renegotiates a better deal for both sides and avoids this situation all together or do you think he rolls the dice and takes a wait and see attitude? What kind of deal do you think Murray makes if both sides decide to renegotiate?

alright, while many will think this is NOT possible, I want to put my bias aside for a moment...

I think it's almost a foregone conclusion that Alfie wishes to retire a Senator... PLUS, if Murray goes down as the GM who let 'Ottawa's endeared Captain walk', well, we all know what follows...

But seriously, I figure they will renegotiate a mutually exclusive contract that will Alfie a bump in pay, but that will also NOT handcuff Murray or the team other important acquisitions can be made.

My 2 cents.

3 Re: Will Alfredsson get a new contract? on Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:25 am

Guest


Guest
Cronenbergfan wrote:
Cap'n' Clutch wrote:Hey all,

As you all know there is an Opt out provision in Alfredsson's contract. Do you think Murray renegotiates a better deal for both sides and avoids this situation all together or do you think he rolls the dice and takes a wait and see attitude? What kind of deal do you think Murray makes if both sides decide to renegotiate?

alright, while many will think this is NOT possible, I want to put my bias aside for a moment...

I think it's almost a foregone conclusion that Alfie wishes to retire a Senator... PLUS, if Murray goes down as the GM who let 'Ottawa's endeared Captain walk', well, we all know what follows...

But seriously, I figure they will renegotiate a mutually exclusive contract that will Alfie a bump in pay, but that will also NOT handcuff Murray or the team other important acquisitions can be made.

My 2 cents.

Murray is pretty schrewd. He knows that Alfie wants to retire here and that we have him for a song (in NHL terms) if he doesn't meet some performance and GP criteria. I think he will see what happens this year. Best case Alfie misses his marks by 1 pt and 1 GP and we have him for less than someone is paying Hainsey, I still can't believe that. Worst case he meets his numbers and we have to give him a reasonable deal in NHL terms. Likely that deal will only eat the cap jump between this year and next.

4 Re: Will Alfredsson get a new contract? on Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:57 pm

Riprock

avatar
All-Star
All-Star
Alfredsson is vastly underpaid and the majority of the top players are grossly overpaid, but that's my opinion.

Alfredsson was the player that refused to be paid when the team was going bankrupt and while I'm sure he'd enjoy a bit more money, will he opt out for a new contract? I say he'll stick it out for the team.

5 Re: Will Alfredsson get a new contract? on Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:03 pm

wprager

avatar
Administrator
Administrator
If the ushers came around with a hat at home games I'd be willing to put some of my own hard-earned money for Alfie. Does he need more? No, none of them do, not even the ones making league minimum (as long as they have a nice and long career). But just to make things right, they definitely should re-negotiate. Maybe give $3M to some charities in his name -- that would be a great PR move.

Melnyk could also hire him to a personal services contract when he retires, or give him some shares in the team/SBP as a retirement gift.

6 Re: Will Alfredsson get a new contract? on Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:08 pm

Cap'n Clutch

avatar
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
wprager wrote:If the ushers came around with a hat at home games I'd be willing to put some of my own hard-earned money for Alfie. Does he need more? No, none of them do, not even the ones making league minimum (as long as they have a nice and long career). But just to make things right, they definitely should re-negotiate. Maybe give $3M to some charities in his name -- that would be a great PR move.

Melnyk could also hire him to a personal services contract when he retires, or give him some shares in the team/SBP as a retirement gift.

Great ideas. I tend believe that Murray will work out a new deal during the season and finalise it after Gerber's money is off the books.

7 Re: Will Alfredsson get a new contract? on Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:40 pm

wprager

avatar
Administrator
Administrator
Cap'n' Clutch wrote:
Great ideas. I tend believe that Murray will work out a new deal during the season and finalise it after Gerber's money is off the books.

That's assuming Elliott can take over #1 by then. If not, Gerber's money will be spent on another #1.

8 Re: Will Alfredsson get a new contract? on Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:33 pm

Cap'n Clutch

avatar
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
wprager wrote:
Cap'n' Clutch wrote:
Great ideas. I tend believe that Murray will work out a new deal during the season and finalise it after Gerber's money is off the books.

That's assuming Elliott can take over #1 by then. If not, Gerber's money will be spent on another #1.

Good point. I figure Elliott will be ready by then.

Sponsored content


Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum