You are not connected. Please login or register

Can The Blue Jackets be a Cinderella team?

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

16Can The Blue Jackets be a Cinderella team? - Page 2 Empty Re: Can The Blue Jackets be a Cinderella team? on Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:55 am

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder
davetherave wrote:
Right on, 504H...Mason is playing as well as any goalie in the league right now. he steals games even when he's coming off a bout with mono. Yowzah.

And when you watch Columbus play you see how disciplined they are. Their checking is outrageous...they also have Vermette on the PK with Nash now, and I've seen Vermie set up Nash on shorthanded breakaways more than once.

They are a recipe for a Cinderella team.

They might be able to beat Calgary, but I think the slipper falls off after that personally. Smile

17Can The Blue Jackets be a Cinderella team? - Page 2 Empty Re: Can The Blue Jackets be a Cinderella team? on Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:00 pm

davetherave

All-Star
All-Star
504Heater wrote:
davetherave wrote:
Right on, 504H...Mason is playing as well as any goalie in the league right now. he steals games even when he's coming off a bout with mono. Yowzah.

And when you watch Columbus play you see how disciplined they are. Their checking is outrageous...they also have Vermette on the PK with Nash now, and I've seen Vermie set up Nash on shorthanded breakaways more than once.

They are a recipe for a Cinderella team.

They might be able to beat Calgary, but I think the slipper falls off after that personally. Smile

Assuming they do play the Flames...they might end up facing the Canucks...or even the Blackhawks...still a few games to go and maybe some spots shuffled...
Wink

18Can The Blue Jackets be a Cinderella team? - Page 2 Empty Re: Can The Blue Jackets be a Cinderella team? on Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:03 pm

beedub

Veteran
Veteran
davetherave wrote:
beedub wrote:
504Heater wrote:
davetherave wrote:
If Columbus meets and beats Calgary, they can do some real damage. Cup Final? That's a bet that could pay off.

Yeah Dave, this is what I think as well. The goaltending is skewed badly in favour of Columbus. This would be the one I wouldn't be totally shocked at.

I really cannot see Columbus or Calgary getting past Detroit, IMO. It's not too often that Osgoode goes back to back stinkers. THey are too powerful, too deep to be had

Are the Wings better this year than they were last year...and better than when they lost in the Conference Finals to the Ducks the year before, and the Quarterfinals to the Oilers before that?

Did you watch the Calgary game last night? The Wings' recent losses to Nashville and Columbus?

There are issues...

I DO believe that the Wings are stronger than last year. This team is going to have little glitches along the way, as any team does (nb martin brodeur getting shelacked after breaking a record).

My fearless prediction, you will see Detroit in the SCF. There is a reason Marian Hossa took shave and haircut to play there.

19Can The Blue Jackets be a Cinderella team? - Page 2 Empty Re: Can The Blue Jackets be a Cinderella team? on Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:10 pm

beedub

beedub
Veteran
Veteran
beedub wrote:
davetherave wrote:
beedub wrote:
504Heater wrote:
davetherave wrote:
If Columbus meets and beats Calgary, they can do some real damage. Cup Final? That's a bet that could pay off.

Yeah Dave, this is what I think as well. The goaltending is skewed badly in favour of Columbus. This would be the one I wouldn't be totally shocked at.

I really cannot see Columbus or Calgary getting past Detroit, IMO. It's not too often that Osgoode goes back to back stinkers. THey are too powerful, too deep to be had

Are the Wings better this year than they were last year...and better than when they lost in the Conference Finals to the Ducks the year before, and the Quarterfinals to the Oilers before that?

Did you watch the Calgary game last night? The Wings' recent losses to Nashville and Columbus?

There are issues...

I DO believe that the Wings are stronger than last year. This team is going to have little glitches along the way, as any team does (nb martin brodeur getting shelacked after breaking a record).

My fearless prediction, you will see Detroit in the SCF. There is a reason Marian Hossa took shave and haircut to play there.

Just to add to previous post, their depth is tremendous, right down to the pluggers like Daniel Cleary. Osgoode is a skilled goaltender who gets absolutely no respect. There is a reason, however, that Detroit has never gone out and gotten another goalie.

There are so many weapons in their arsenal. Zetterberg, Datsyk Fillipula, don't forget the horse on the backend some teams have moderate success against them, but to have to beat them 4 times in a short period of time....not going to happen.

20Can The Blue Jackets be a Cinderella team? - Page 2 Empty Re: Can The Blue Jackets be a Cinderella team? on Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:16 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star
beedub wrote:
davetherave wrote:Are the Wings better this year than they were last year...and better than when they lost in the Conference Finals to the Ducks the year before, and the Quarterfinals to the Oilers before that?

There are issues...

OK, think about this...

2005-06, Detroit 124 pts, President's Trophy, eliminated in Quarterfinals. Team includes Steve Yzerman and Brendan Shanahan.

2006-07, Detroit 113 pts, Western Conference Champions, eliminated in Conference Final. Team includes elite goalie tandem of Hasek (2.05 GAA, 8 SOs) and Chris Osgood.

2007-08, Detroit 115 pts, President's Trophy and Stanley Cup. Osgood has a monster playoff run.

This year's team--with the issues they've had in goal and with their defensive play--is better than those versions?

21Can The Blue Jackets be a Cinderella team? - Page 2 Empty Re: Can The Blue Jackets be a Cinderella team? on Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:32 pm

beedub

beedub
Veteran
Veteran
davetherave wrote:
beedub wrote:
davetherave wrote:Are the Wings better this year than they were last year...and better than when they lost in the Conference Finals to the Ducks the year before, and the Quarterfinals to the Oilers before that?

There are issues...

OK, think about this...

2005-06, Detroit 124 pts, President's Trophy, eliminated in Quarterfinals. Team includes Steve Yzerman and Brendan Shanahan.

2006-07, Detroit 113 pts, Western Conference Champions, eliminated in Conference Final. Team includes elite goalie tandem of Hasek (2.05 GAA, 8 SOs) and Chris Osgood.

2007-08, Detroit 115 pts, President's Trophy and Stanley Cup. Osgood has a monster playoff run.

This year's team--with the issues they've had in goal and with their defensive play--is better than those versions?

Ahh, I do love a good hockey debate

When Detroit limps into the playoffs with 89 points, there is a year where I will not believe they could make it. But it just doesn't happen. These guys are monsters. But most importantly they are playoff monsters, and they are perennial favourites to win.

IMO 2008-2009 Detroit Red Wings = 2007-2008 Detroit Redwings + Marian Hossa

22Can The Blue Jackets be a Cinderella team? - Page 2 Empty Re: Can The Blue Jackets be a Cinderella team? on Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:39 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star
beedub wrote:Ahh, I do love a good hockey debate

When Detroit limps into the playoffs with 89 points, there is a year where I will not believe they could make it. But it just doesn't happen. These guys are monsters. But most importantly they are playoff monsters, and they are perennial favourites to win.

Nothing like a good hockey debate!

Again, if you watched the Flames game last night, you saw what Babc0ck has been talking about all year...lapses in their defensive game.

And in a playoff series, weaknesses are magnified.

Not saying the Wings won't advance past the 1st round...but they are far from the monsters you describe and the 'lock' you so confidently predict.

8)

After the Wings beat the Jackets in their last meetings, Hitch was highly complimentary of Detroit...however he did qualify that praise by saying "when" they play as they did against Columbus that day..."when" is the operative word, and there hasn't been enough "when" this year to make either Babs or Ken Holland comfortable.

23Can The Blue Jackets be a Cinderella team? - Page 2 Empty Re: Can The Blue Jackets be a Cinderella team? on Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:44 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Until someone beats them 4 out of 7 they are the Champs. Although there is a huge question mark in goal, that cannot be swept under the carpet.

24Can The Blue Jackets be a Cinderella team? - Page 2 Empty Re: Can The Blue Jackets be a Cinderella team? on Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:48 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star
wprager wrote:Until someone beats them 4 out of 7 they are the Champs. Although there is a huge question mark in goal, that cannot be swept under the carpet.

Indeed...and no team has put together back to back Stanley Cup Championships since 1998. That Wings team was coached by Scotty Bowman.

Is it Cinderella time yet?
8)

25Can The Blue Jackets be a Cinderella team? - Page 2 Empty Re: Can The Blue Jackets be a Cinderella team? on Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:11 pm

beedub

beedub
Veteran
Veteran
davetherave wrote:
beedub wrote:Ahh, I do love a good hockey debate

Nothing like a good hockey debate!

Again, if you watched the Flames game last night, you saw what Babc0ck has been talking about all year...lapses in their defensive game.

And in a playoff series, weaknesses are magnified.

Not saying the Wings won't advance past the 1st round...but they are far from the monsters you describe and the 'lock' you so confidently predict.

8)

After the Wings beat the Jackets in their last meetings, Hitch was highly complimentary of Detroit...however he did qualify that praise by saying "when" they play as they did against Columbus that day..."when" is the operative word, and there hasn't been enough "when" this year to make either Babs or Ken Holland comfortable.

Cleaning

ah, the sweeping action.

Were the playoffs to commence today, Detroit would face Phoenix. Cleaning Detroit in 4 shall we say....

Unless Detroit leaves the net completely unattended, they will likely go 5-4 for their remaining games, adding 10 points to their total of 105. Within their division, I believe it's the Central division, their nearest competitiion is Chicago, running nearly 20 points behind. 20 points?! Jebus.

San Jose will take the President's trophy, Detroit doesn't need it. Amazing thing about Osgoode. he can be quite ordinary on some nights. Come playoff times, he just shuts the door.

this guy has had to play second fiddle a couple of times. They thought they could have a better tender, so they got Vernon, then came back to Osgoode, then Hasek, then they came back to Osgoode.

Just the fact that this guy hasn't told the NHL to 'хороший пока' or das vedanya Diddle and head off to Russia to play

26Can The Blue Jackets be a Cinderella team? - Page 2 Empty Re: Can The Blue Jackets be a Cinderella team? on Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:13 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Phoenix?

27Can The Blue Jackets be a Cinderella team? - Page 2 Empty Re: Can The Blue Jackets be a Cinderella team? on Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:29 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star
beedub wrote:Cleaning

ah, the sweeping action.

Were the playoffs to commence today, Detroit would face Phoenix. Cleaning Detroit in 4 shall we say....

Unless Detroit leaves the net completely unattended, they will likely go 5-4 for their remaining games, adding 10 points to their total of 105. Within their division, I believe it's the Central division, their nearest competitiion is Chicago, running nearly 20 points behind. 20 points?! Jebus.

San Jose will take the President's trophy, Detroit doesn't need it. Amazing thing about Osgoode. he can be quite ordinary on some nights. Come playoff times, he just shuts the door.

this guy has had to play second fiddle a couple of times. They thought they could have a better tender, so they got Vernon, then came back to Osgoode, then Hasek, then they came back to Osgoode.

Just the fact that this guy hasn't told the NHL to 'хороший пока' or das vedanya Diddle and head off to Russia to play

Phoenix?

Right now, Detroit is matched up with Edmonton, who beat them in the Quarterfinals three years ago. This season's success aside, the Wings would face a wild card in Dwayne Roloson, who has shocked opponents on a number of occasions this year...have you seen Rolly when he's smokin' hot?

Depending on whether the Wings finish 1st or 2nd in the Conference, their initial opponents could be Nashville (who gave them much grief last year), Anaheim (never a pleasant thought) or St. Louis (dastardly in their determination).

In which respect is the divisional cushion the Wings have over Chicago relevant to the playoffs?

No disrespect to Chris Osgood, but watch him play a few games. He has been very good on only rare occasions this year, and it's not a speed bump. Last night--as he has been on too many nights--he's not on at all.

Oh, and if Detroit didn't think they needed the President's Trophy and the playoff-long home ice advantage that goes with it, they wouldn't work so hard to win it as often as they have...would they?
8)

Last edited by davetherave on Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:31 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : edit)

28Can The Blue Jackets be a Cinderella team? - Page 2 Empty Re: Can The Blue Jackets be a Cinderella team? on Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:59 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
All good points Dave, but...I'll play devil's advocate here and say that Edmonton doesn't need to bother to show up for that (potential) series.

It would be a clean Cleaning

29Can The Blue Jackets be a Cinderella team? - Page 2 Empty Re: Can The Blue Jackets be a Cinderella team? on Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:25 pm

beedub

beedub
Veteran
Veteran
davetherave wrote:

ah, the sweeping action.

Phoenix?

Right now, Detroit is matched up with Edmonton, who beat them in the Quarterfinals three years ago. This season's success aside, the Wings would face a wild card in Dwayne Roloson, who has shocked opponents on a number of occasions this year...have you seen Rolly when he's smokin' hot?

Depending on whether the Wings finish 1st or 2nd in the Conference, their initial opponents could be Nashville (who gave them much grief last year), Anaheim (never a pleasant thought) or St. Louis (dastardly in their determination).

In which respect is the divisional cushion the Wings have over Chicago relevant to the playoffs?

No disrespect to Chris Osgood, but watch him play a few games. He has been very good on only rare occasions this year, and it's not a speed bump. Last night--as he has been on too many nights--he's not on at all.

Oh, and if Detroit didn't think they needed the President's Trophy and the playoff-long home ice advantage that goes with it, they wouldn't work so hard to win it as often as they have...would they?
8)

Woops, stupid me, Phoenix is second LAST, not second from bottom of playoff seeded teams. Hehe.

Ok. Substitute Edmonton for Phoenix. All same arguments apply, oh, but except Phoenix has a better goalie IMO

30Can The Blue Jackets be a Cinderella team? - Page 2 Empty Re: Can The Blue Jackets be a Cinderella team? on Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:35 pm

beedub

beedub
Veteran
Veteran
beedub wrote:
davetherave wrote:

ah, the sweeping action.

Phoenix?

8)

Woops, stupid me, Phoenix is second LAST, not second from bottom of playoff seeded teams. Hehe.

Ok. Substitute Edmonton for Phoenix. All same arguments apply, oh, but except Phoenix has a better goalie IMO

If you were to ask me if I wanted Chris Osgood or Dwayne Roloson to backstop me to the Stanley Cup....hmmm......let's see......Osgood has some Rings, Roloson has none.........Sorry DTR, the only thing I like ice-cold is my beer, not goaltenders.
Osgood is never flashy, just steady, Teddy.

Detroit has depth, playoff experience coming out the Donkey, a coach, a goalie and over half the players who won it all not 12 months ago, oh, wait, they also added Marian freakin' Hossa.

31Can The Blue Jackets be a Cinderella team? - Page 2 Empty Re: Can The Blue Jackets be a Cinderella team? on Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:14 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star
beedub wrote: If you were to ask me if I wanted Chris Osgood or Dwayne Roloson to backstop me to the Stanley Cup....hmmm......let's see......Osgood has some Rings, Roloson has none.........Sorry DTR, the only thing I like ice-cold is my beer, not goaltenders.
Osgood is never flashy, just steady, Teddy.

Detroit has depth, playoff experience coming out the Donkey, a coach, a goalie and over half the players who won it all not 12 months ago, oh, wait, they also added Marian freakin' Hossa.

Of course you would take Osgood over Roloson...but Ozzy has been decidedly unsteady this year. Them's the facts.

As for what was won a year ago, that was then and this is now...

Of course, one of the beauties of being of a fan is the unshakeable belief in one's convictions Wink , n'est-ce-pas?

...meanwhile, the hockey gods have their jokes yet to be played on true believers....and may the best team win.

cheers

32Can The Blue Jackets be a Cinderella team? - Page 2 Empty Re: Can The Blue Jackets be a Cinderella team? on Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:21 pm

beedub

beedub
Veteran
Veteran
that's what makes being a fan of hockey so much fun. While I am normally not a proponent of most Western Conference teams, I do like Detroit, ever since Federov was taking faceoffs for them. Back when Chelios had a normal hockey-playing age.

33Can The Blue Jackets be a Cinderella team? - Page 2 Empty Re: Can The Blue Jackets be a Cinderella team? on Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:12 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star
beedub wrote:that's what makes being a fan of hockey so much fun. While I am normally not a proponent of most Western Conference teams, I do like Detroit, ever since Federov was taking faceoffs for them. Back when Chelios had a normal hockey-playing age.

My friend, we agree...I have also been an admirer of the Detroit Red Wings...since the days of Gordie Howe...and their consistent excelllence in the Mike Ilitch/Scotty Bowman/Ken Holland era...

The fun is not only in the game itself, but in ardent discussion that accompanies it...
:D

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum