You are not connected. Please login or register

 » The other NHL teams » Metropolitan » New York Rangers » The disaster that is Redden

The disaster that is Redden

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1The disaster that is Redden Empty The disaster that is Redden on Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:43 pm

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod
Here's a very interesting article about Wade Redden and his monster contract along with his horrendously bad play over the season.

From the Ottawa Citizen - March 22nd-2009

Wade Redden spent most of Canada Day 2008 walking the fields of the family farm outside Lloydminster, Sask., to clear his head and contemplate his future.
Earlier in the day, six NHL teams had made their pitches to land the slick-skating defenceman, an unrestricted free agent who was moving on after more than a decade in Ottawa, where he was no longer wanted.

By late afternoon, as we know, Redden chose the New York Rangers and their eye-popping six-year, $39-million U.S. offer. He was flattered by the money, he said modestly, if not a bit obviously. And he liked the idea of playing regularly in Madison Square Garden, a rink where he'd excelled over the years.

But mostly, Redden said, he considered New York "a great place to put things behind me and get away from the spotlight" that comes with playing in a Canadian city.
Really? New York? The town that ripped Alex Rodriguez as a slacker in 2007 for merely blasting 54 homers and driving in 156 runs, better numbers than even Mickey Mantle's best?

Yes, apparently, that New York.

Well, if Redden thought he had it rough in Ottawa, where his declining skills sparked scorn and demands for a trade on open-line talk shows during his last few seasons here, his reception in New York must have felt like a mugging.
Even before he pulled on a Rangers sweater for the first time, the city's most influential sports columnist was calling his signing a mistake.

Why, asked the New York Post's Larry Brooks, would the Rangers lavish $6.5 million annually on a defenceman who has "been in decline for years, had a dreadful 2007-08 season in Ottawa and was never regarded as a game-changer over 11 seasons with the Senators."

Hey, and welcome to the big city.

To be fair, the crack sold Redden short. Although it seems like a very long time ago now, in the late-1990s and early-2000s Redden was among the NHL's best half dozen defenceman, a master of the quick outlet pass to a streaking forward and a power-play specialist who scored 17 goals in 2003-04.

And as hard as it is to imagine five years later, Redden did not look out of place on the team of all-star Canadians that won the World Cup in 2004.
By the time he arrived in New York last fall, however, Redden was only a shadow of that player. Everyone has a theory about why. The most popular suggests he's never trained hard enough, relying instead on skills that eroded rapidly with age.

Whatever the reason, New Yorkers weren't interested in anything except results. There is nothing they love more than a sports hero except, perhaps, the chance to excoriate a well-paid sports hero who is underachieving.
And that was Redden, whose Rangers play the Senators in New York tonight.

Redden was spared criticism during the season's first few weeks when the Rangers got off to a quick start. But he was performing poorly, making poor decisions that resulted in turnovers, playing a soft game in his own end and failing to contribute to the offence. (Familiar much? Did they think this was going to magically change?)

So when the team began to sputter in late November and New Yorkers went looking for a target, Redden was an easy bull's-eye.


Led by Brooks, said to be the most-read hockey writer in New York, the media began almost to delight in cataloguing his errors. By Feb. 15, and without a goal in 57 games, Redden was being referred to on radio and in print as GSF -- Glen Sather's Folly, Brooks' shot at the general manager who signed him.

"The 31-year-old defenceman is the GM's greatest mistake, something that is painfully obvious fewer than 60 games into a contract ... that stands as the worst in the history of the NHL, if not the history of hard-cap pro sports," Brooks wrote in his Slap Shots column.

As if that wasn't enough, the columnist suggested that if Redden was a baseball player, an observer would be right to "deduce that he had built his previously admirable career résumé on performance-enhancing drugs."

Even the more reserved New York Times couldn't resist a few shots, detailing how Redden's lazy play allowed Detroit's Pavel Datsyk to set up a pair of goals in a win over the Rangers. To drive home the point, Times beat reporter Lynn Zinser loaded a video of his miscues onto her blog, where she called Redden's signing "disastrous."
Post reporter Jay Greenberg went so far as to suggest Redden "simply can't play in the NHL anymore" and might be of more help to the Rangers toiling for their farm team Hartford.

And in its annual "Slugs and Sluggers of the Big Apple Sports Scene," the tabloid ranked Redden the second most overrated pro athlete in New York, behind only Alan Faneca of the football Jets, who is not only the highest-paid offensive lineman in NFL history, he also allowed the most sacks in the league last season.

When the slumping Rangers finally sacked Tom Renney on Feb. 23, Redden was frequently cited as one of the main reasons for his dismissal and replacement with John Tortorella.

True to character -- and Redden is nice guy, well-liked by teammates here and in New York -- the defenceman accepted a share of the blame. He also took the firing hard. He knew Renney from his days in the Western Hockey League, another factor that played into his decision to go to New York.

Interestingly, though, Redden has picked up his game since the departure of Renney and assistant coach Perry Pearn, who he knew from his years with the Senators.
Tortorella took charge of the power play from Pearn, telling Redden he could remain part of it as long as he played hard and made smart decisions. Redden responded by scoring a power-play goal -- his first goal of any sort in four months -- in Tortorella's Rangers debut.

Still, his playing time has been reduced under Tortorella, although he yet to be benched like some of the team's other stars. But almost no matter how it ends, Redden's season -- three goals, 24 points and his first minus rating in a decade -- can't be considered anything but a mess.

"So much of it for me has been getting the mental part of my game in focus and getting into the intensity of the competition," he told reporters last week. "Earlier, I was guilty of ... waiting for it to come to me."

Even so, Redden apparently has no regrets. And off the ice, why should he? He and his wife Danica, who he married last summer, have settled into Manhattan and have pots of money to make the most of it.

As for the rest, Redden is hoping for redemption down the stretch and in the playoffs.
"I know I can be better," he said.

If he's not, he can count on hearing about. In a New York minute.

Brutal. Should they really be surprised? Anyone could've seen this coming.

2The disaster that is Redden Empty Re: The disaster that is Redden on Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:06 pm

SensFan71


All-Star
All-Star
wow I really hope that anyone in the New york organization wasn't hoping for more out of redden, he is a mere glimpse of the player he used to be, which really wasn't even dominant at his best, really pains me that Muckler went with Redden over Chara, sure I don't know the hockey operations side of things, however, 6'9" defenceman or Redden, that choice seems pretty easy to me, or it should seem pretty easy.

3The disaster that is Redden Empty Re: The disaster that is Redden on Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:15 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
One of the worst signings in NHL history IMO. Yashin's was worse, but this is one of the dumbest singular decisions in the history of pen to paper.

Way to blow Reds.

squirrel

4The disaster that is Redden Empty Re: The disaster that is Redden on Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:33 pm

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Wow! Now that was a serious case of every Sens fan wanting to call up the Post, and The Times and say: "I TOLD YOU SO!!"

Seriously, I remember chatting with a few level-headed Ranger fans over the summer and they were razzing me about Murray letting Redden walk, you know stuff, childish stuff like "haha, we snagged Redden." and I distinctly remember saying: "do I look worried?"
Seriously, that shut them up REAL quick.

5The disaster that is Redden Empty Re: The disaster that is Redden on Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:49 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Cronie wrote:Wow! Now that was a serious case of every Sens fan wanting to call up the Post, and The Times and say: "I TOLD YOU SO!!"

Seriously, I remember chatting with a few level-headed Ranger fans over the summer and they were razzing me about Murray letting Redden walk, you know stuff, childish stuff like "haha, we snagged Redden." and I distinctly remember saying: "do I look worried?"
Seriously, that shut them up REAL quick.

Really!!? If I was a Rags fan and that happened in the summer, I would have been screaming for blood. I still to this very moment believe that Murray should have waived Redden and used the cap space to acquire someone good. People said it would have been a bad way to end a decade long relationship - I say that relationship was severed when he wouldn't help the club and waive his NTC.

6The disaster that is Redden Empty Re: The disaster that is Redden on Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:23 pm

Guest


Guest
504Heater wrote:
Cronie wrote:Wow! Now that was a serious case of every Sens fan wanting to call up the Post, and The Times and say: "I TOLD YOU SO!!"

Seriously, I remember chatting with a few level-headed Ranger fans over the summer and they were razzing me about Murray letting Redden walk, you know stuff, childish stuff like "haha, we snagged Redden." and I distinctly remember saying: "do I look worried?"
Seriously, that shut them up REAL quick.

Really!!? If I was a Rags fan and that happened in the summer, I would have been screaming for blood. I still to this very moment believe that Murray should have waived Redden and used the cap space to acquire someone good. People said it would have been a bad way to end a decade long relationship - I say that relationship was severed when he wouldn't help the club and waive his NTC.

AGREED

It's a tough business and when he refused to waive it, we should have done exactly what you described above. Redden has turned into a gold plated pylon.

7The disaster that is Redden Empty Re: The disaster that is Redden on Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:05 pm

Nasty Nas

Nasty Nas
Rookie
Rookie
Top 5 worst deals in history. I'll be shocked if he doesn't get bought out within the next 3 years.

8The disaster that is Redden Empty Re: The disaster that is Redden on Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:48 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Nasty Nas wrote:Top 5 worst deals in history. I'll be shocked if he doesn't get bought out within the next 3 years.

Buying out is so tough though. I hate to see it because I like that the Rangers are screwed with this contract - and also because it's a seasoned veteran and an ex-Sen - but I have a feeling this is one of those cases where you might see him buried in the minors.

9The disaster that is Redden Empty Re: The disaster that is Redden on Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:59 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star
2 million per goals Laughing3

10The disaster that is Redden Empty Re: The disaster that is Redden on Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:41 pm

beedub

beedub
Veteran
Veteran
Hindsight is always 20/20

Redden over Chara, blah, blah

Jason York on the Team 1200 felt that perhaps Muckler did not have much of a choice, as Chara wanted 7 plus and the captaincy. Nobody was taking that from Alfredsson.

Should NY have signed him to that big buck contract. Hindsight (there it is again, it's a real Wing Dang Doodle) dictates no. But as it always is with UFAs, if you really like someone, chances are that someone else does as well. Up to 5 other teams apparently put in offers for him. It was a bit of a bidding war, and Slats wanted him just that bit more than anyone else.

I am of the belief that Redden could resurrect his career. He needs to hit the gym and the practice ice this summer with a vengeance. That NY beatwriter stated that his conditioning was Dung. He relied too much on his skills, which have diminished.

Get fit, clean out the nose, and he may just do ok

11The disaster that is Redden Empty Re: The disaster that is Redden on Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:49 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
marakh wrote:2 million per goals Laughing3

Yeah, but when they are that rare, they're worth more.

12The disaster that is Redden Empty Re: The disaster that is Redden on Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:11 pm

Nasty Nas

Nasty Nas
Rookie
Rookie
504Heater wrote:
Nasty Nas wrote:Top 5 worst deals in history.
I'll be shocked if he doesn't get bought out within the next 3
years.

Buying out is so tough though. I hate to see it
because I like that the Rangers are screwed with this contract - and
also because it's a seasoned veteran and an ex-Sen - but I have a
feeling this is one of those cases where you might see him buried in
the minors.

ahh true. For some reason I didn't even consider that but I would think that is far more than likely.

13The disaster that is Redden Empty Re: The disaster that is Redden on Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:37 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star
CBA Question (where's rooney when you need him?) - if you bury him in the minors, can you buy him out, and if so, would his contract count against the NHL cap?

Although he's probably still a guy who can help out a farm team.

It's so sad to type "probably."

Wade, what happened to ya, man?

14The disaster that is Redden Empty Re: The disaster that is Redden on Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:43 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
beedub wrote:Hindsight is always 20/20

Redden over Chara, blah, blah

Jason York on the Team 1200 felt that perhaps Muckler did not have much of a choice, as Chara wanted 7 plus and the captaincy. Nobody was taking that from Alfredsson.

Should NY have signed him to that big buck contract. Hindsight (there it is again, it's a real Wing Dang Doodle) dictates no. But as it always is with UFAs, if you really like someone, chances are that someone else does as well. Up to 5 other teams apparently put in offers for him. It was a bit of a bidding war, and Slats wanted him just that bit more than anyone else.

I am of the belief that Redden could resurrect his career. He needs to hit the gym and the practice ice this summer with a vengeance. That NY beatwriter stated that his conditioning was Dung. He relied too much on his skills, which have diminished.

Get fit, clean out the nose, and he may just do ok

The story making the rounds in the Hockey News I think, is that Howson, Columbus' GM, was told by Redden's agent, that although Columbus was offering the same package as NY, they were leaning towards NY.

So Howson picks up the phone and plants the seed. If you need help salary cap wise, we'd like to look at acquiring a D-man (seeing as how they were losing on the Redden sweepstakes). Sather set his sights on Zherdev and Howson already knew that he wanted Tyutin - and look how that worked out.

Smart move knowing that the Rangers were gonna dish out 6.5 million and have at least one extra top 4 D-man (arguable) and exploiting it with a neat little trade.

15The disaster that is Redden Empty Re: The disaster that is Redden on Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:46 pm

top shelf15


Rookie
Rookie
asq2 wrote:CBA Question (where's rooney when you need him?) - if you bury him in the minors, can you buy him out, and if so, would his contract count against the NHL cap?

Although he's probably still a guy who can help out a farm team.

It's so sad to type "probably."

Wade, what happened to ya, man?
Did you read the article on cowen,on HF i think this is the d man that ottawa needs to draft 6.5 220 mean streak you cant teach that he looks like a beauty :D

Sponsored content


Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum