GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GM Hockey » The other NHL teams » Atlantic » Boston Bruins » Thomas is going to be hurting us for 3 more years

Thomas is going to be hurting us for 3 more years

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 5]

davetherave

All-Star
All-Star
504Heater wrote:
davetherave wrote:
Don't you think it's wiser to have 8.5MM a year tied up in two solid goalies (one experienced, one emerging) than 16MM tied up in two forwards?

scratch

And Mr Chiarelli's track record for investing wisely, so far, most certainly trumps Mr Murray's.

He'll have some serious decisions to make shortly, so we'll see how he does when faced with that.

I find 8 million for Thomas and Rask a little steep, but hey, they're winning, so of course Chiarelli looks good.

My point was that Chiarelli has allocated his resources much more efficiently than Mr Murray. And yes, his team is winning. The quality of his management has something to do with that.

As for Thomas getting that new deal and paying Rask what they are, how do you see that as being a problem?

Fernandez's contract is up (he may retire anyway because of chronic back problems) and the deal secures the Bruins' talent in net.

Compare Thomas to Gerber? Are you kidding me? Thomas is one of the most motivated and fiercely competitive goalies in the league. (No disrespect to Marty G, but he has never been a number one except in name.) Tim Thomas has worked his butt off to get where he is, and few NHL players have shown the kind of determination he has. Why not be happy for him to finally get rewarded, and just in time for the playoffs?

Where market value is concerned, what do you think Luongo will get when his contract is up for renewal? He's getting 7.5MM now.

Riprock

All-Star
All-Star
I don't like this deal - too much money, too long of a term. Where's the money for Krejci, Kessel, Savard, Lucic?

davetherave

All-Star
All-Star
Dash wrote:I don't like this deal - too much money, too long of a term. Where's the money for Krejci, Kessel, Savard, Lucic?

Are you saying the deal is not consistent with market value?

Who says Chiarelli needs to re-sign Savard when his deal is done? He has money to re-sign Kessel and Krejci who are RFAs because Axelsson, Yelle and Recchi are UFAs. Lucic isn't up for a contract until after next season.

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran
davetherave wrote:
Dash wrote:I don't like this deal - too much money, too long of a term. Where's the money for Krejci, Kessel, Savard, Lucic?

Who says Chiarelli needs to re-sign Savard when his deal is done? He has money to re-sign Kessel and Krejci who are RFAs because Axelsson, Yelle and Recchi are UFAs. Lucic isn't up for a contract until after next season.

The signing puts them at around 47.6. They still need to resign Kessel, Krejeci and get a back up goalie. I think they'll be Ok but if they want to get rid of Savard we can always send them Schubert and Lee.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star
Phoenix30 wrote:
davetherave wrote:

The signing puts them at around 47.6. They still need to resign Kessel, Krejeci and get a back up goalie. I think they'll be Ok but if they want to get rid of Savard we can always send them Schubert and Lee.

Spoken like a true horsetrader :pirat:

PS Rask is their backup.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star
I just think it's going to hurt them down the road. Cap is likely going down, and that means less money now and later for your RFAs and FAs like I mentioned. Savard is a huge part of that team's offence.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star
Dash wrote:I just think it's going to hurt them down the road. Cap is likely going down, and that means less money now and later for your RFAs and FAs like I mentioned. Savard is a huge part of that team's offence.

Wishful thinking on your part? :KJK:

Chiarelli knows what's happening with the salary cap. That's why the Bruins have kids like Krejci and others constantly coming up through the pipeline. The Bruins have balance.

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star
davetherave wrote:
Dash wrote:I just think it's going to hurt them down the road. Cap is likely going down, and that means less money now and later for your RFAs and FAs like I mentioned. Savard is a huge part of that team's offence.

Wishful thinking on your part? :KJK:

Chiarelli knows what's happening with the salary cap. That's why the Bruins have kids like Krejci and others constantly coming up through the pipeline. The Bruins have balance.

They'll have some trouble keeping it all together, as any very good team does eventually. Fernandez being gone will help, but they're going to have to make some choices. Bergeron may be wearing another team's colours next season.

Boston will have to hope that down the line, Colborne can replace one of their centremen. In the meanwhile, though, B's fans should enjoy the ride that comes with having a contender. I certainly did when the Sens were awesome in 2005-2006, although things went downhill after the Olympics.

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran
davetherave wrote:
Phoenix30 wrote:
davetherave wrote:

Spoken like a true horsetrader :pirat:

PS Rask is their backup.

Horsetrader?????

I suspect Rask will be his back up at some point next season. His contract with bonuses is 3.2. So I suspect Boston would prefer a cheaper option for at least one season depending on what its going to cost for Kessel and Krejeci.

Auld? I know Boston didnt want to let him go and he was very popular there as well, they just couldnt get rid of Fernandez.

caissie_1

caissie_1
Veteran
Veteran
Who know's Neely maybe Auld does return to Boston. They will want a good cheap backup and IMO Auld fits the profile.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star
caissie_1 wrote:Who know's Neely maybe Auld does return to Boston. They will want a good cheap backup and IMO Auld fits the profile.

They have a backup. Tukka Rask. And he's much better than Auld.

caissie_1

caissie_1
Veteran
Veteran
davetherave wrote:
caissie_1 wrote:Who know's Neely maybe Auld does return to Boston. They will want a good cheap backup and IMO Auld fits the profile.

His total cap hit I belive will be around 3.2 million compared to Auld 1 million. Im not sure on the numbers but it's something like that.

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran

I could actually see Auld going to Minnesota. I could see the Wild trading or allowing Harding to go on an offer sheet as he will be expensive to re-sign, at least expensive as far as backups go. They might want someone established who can come in and play 20 games a season. They have two young goalies, but one is still in finland (and is an absurd 6 foot 7), and the other one only played 6 games in the AHL this year. That's why I see Auld as a possibility to go there.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star
caissie_1 wrote:
davetherave wrote:

His total cap hit I belive will be around 3.2 million compared to Auld 1 million. Im not sure on the numbers but it's something like that.

Caissie...the Bruins let Auld go specifically to make room for Rask. Rask is younger and has more upside.

And where does this '3.2MM cap hit' come from?

:KJK:

Rask facts:

Tuukka Rask
Date of birth: March 10, 1987
Place of birth: Savonlinna, Finland
Ht: 6-3 Wt: 169
Catches: L
Salary: $850,000
NHL Seasons: 1-R
Drafted by Toronto in 2005 (1/21).
Acquired in a trade with Toronto in 2006.

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star
davetherave wrote:Caissie...the Bruins let Auld go specifically to make room for Rask.

You think so? He's gotten 1 game this season. If they wanted him up that quickly, they would have moved Manny or Timmy.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star
asq2 wrote:
davetherave wrote:Caissie...the Bruins let Auld go specifically to make room for Rask.

You think so? He's gotten 1 game this season. If they wanted him up that quickly, they would have moved Manny or Timmy.

Exactly. Fernandez was an interim solution as they developed Rask.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star
davetherave wrote:
caissie_1 wrote:
davetherave wrote:

Caissie...the Bruins let Auld go specifically to make room for Rask. Rask is younger and has more upside.

And where does this '3.2MM cap hit' come from?

:KJK:

Rask facts:

Tuukka Rask
Date of birth: March 10, 1987
Place of birth: Savonlinna, Finland
Ht: 6-3 Wt: 169
Catches: L
Salary: $850,000
NHL Seasons: 1-R
Drafted by Toronto in 2005 (1/21).
Acquired in a trade with Toronto in 2006.

Carey Price has like 850 000 in salary and his cap hit is 2,2 Million. Same with Toews and I believe Kane's go from 875,000 in salary to around 3.7 million in cap hit.
I think the bonuses and stuff count as well. I dont really know how it works, but the cap is always higher than the actual salary for entry level contracts.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum