You are not connected. Please login or register

 » All things PLAYOFFS! » Round One: Philadelphia @ Pittsburgh

Round One: Philadelphia @ Pittsburgh

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14

POLL: Round One: Philadelphia @ Pittsburgh

Round One: Philadelphia @ Pittsburgh - Page 14 Vote_lcap20%Round One: Philadelphia @ Pittsburgh - Page 14 Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
Round One: Philadelphia @ Pittsburgh - Page 14 Vote_lcap20%Round One: Philadelphia @ Pittsburgh - Page 14 Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
Round One: Philadelphia @ Pittsburgh - Page 14 Vote_lcap219%Round One: Philadelphia @ Pittsburgh - Page 14 Vote_rcap2 19% [ 3 ]
Round One: Philadelphia @ Pittsburgh - Page 14 Vote_lcap213%Round One: Philadelphia @ Pittsburgh - Page 14 Vote_rcap2 13% [ 2 ]
Round One: Philadelphia @ Pittsburgh - Page 14 Vote_lcap20%Round One: Philadelphia @ Pittsburgh - Page 14 Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
Round One: Philadelphia @ Pittsburgh - Page 14 Vote_lcap26%Round One: Philadelphia @ Pittsburgh - Page 14 Vote_rcap2 6% [ 1 ]
Round One: Philadelphia @ Pittsburgh - Page 14 Vote_lcap238%Round One: Philadelphia @ Pittsburgh - Page 14 Vote_rcap2 38% [ 6 ]
Round One: Philadelphia @ Pittsburgh - Page 14 Vote_lcap224%Round One: Philadelphia @ Pittsburgh - Page 14 Vote_rcap2 24% [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 16

Go down  Message [Page 14 of 14]

196Round One: Philadelphia @ Pittsburgh - Page 14 Empty Re: Round One: Philadelphia @ Pittsburgh on Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:24 pm

The Silfer Server


Veteran
Veteran
davetherave wrote:This goal demonstrates why Sergei Gonchar is a better offensive d-man than Mike Green LOL

Horrendous coverage by Philly.

I'm not so sure about that, unless of course it was sarcasm. But if it wasn't, then i personally believe there was not reason that shot should have gone in. That shot was at Biron, most capable goalies would have stopped it. Now i'm not saying Gonchar is better or not offensively than Mike Green, I'm just saying that goal wasn't indicative of the fact.

197Round One: Philadelphia @ Pittsburgh - Page 14 Empty Re: Round One: Philadelphia @ Pittsburgh on Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:28 pm

davetherave


All-Star
All-Star
Bass Destruction wrote:
davetherave wrote:This goal demonstrates why Sergei Gonchar is a better offensive d-man than Mike Green LOL

Horrendous coverage by Philly.

I'm not so sure about that, unless of course it was sarcasm. But if it wasn't, then i personally believe there was not reason that shot should have gone in. That shot was at Biron, most capable goalies would have stopped it. Now i'm not saying Gonchar is better or not offensively than Mike Green, I'm just saying that goal wasn't indicative of the fact.

Actually Gonchar IS better than Green.

PS how many goals does Mike Green have in the playoffs so far?

And what goalie can stop a cruise missile like that one?

198Round One: Philadelphia @ Pittsburgh - Page 14 Empty Re: Round One: Philadelphia @ Pittsburgh on Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:44 pm

davetherave


All-Star
All-Star
CROSBY KILLS THE FLYERS...

199Round One: Philadelphia @ Pittsburgh - Page 14 Empty Re: Round One: Philadelphia @ Pittsburgh on Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:45 pm

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran
game over series over pitt moves on

200Round One: Philadelphia @ Pittsburgh - Page 14 Empty Re: Round One: Philadelphia @ Pittsburgh on Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:46 pm

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran
davetherave wrote:
Can either of these teams expect to advance beyond Round Two against Jersey or the Canes?

i dont think they can especially with fleury being fairly inconsistent

201Round One: Philadelphia @ Pittsburgh - Page 14 Empty Re: Round One: Philadelphia @ Pittsburgh on Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:50 pm

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran
davetherave wrote:
Bass Destruction wrote:
davetherave wrote:This goal demonstrates why Sergei Gonchar is a better offensive d-man than Mike Green LOL

Horrendous coverage by Philly.

I'm not so sure about that, unless of course it was sarcasm. But if it wasn't, then i personally believe there was not reason that shot should have gone in. That shot was at Biron, most capable goalies would have stopped it. Now i'm not saying Gonchar is better or not offensively than Mike Green, I'm just saying that goal wasn't indicative of the fact.

Actually Gonchar IS better than Green.

PS how many goals does Mike Green have in the playoffs so far?

And what goalie can stop a cruise missile like that one?

That's fine, i'm not saying Green is better offensively, i'm not saying he's not. I haven't given it much thought or research, so i'm not going to comment on that.

And I do believe a lot of goalies would have stopped that. It was a rocket, but he was at the top of the circle with no one in front. Any goalie that is bigger, or has better reflexes, or has the ability to move laterally while still being set would have stopped that goal. Biron had time to get set for the shot, and time to block it.

And to answer your question how many goals does Green have, he has zero. Prior to that goal, Gonchar also had zero. I understand it was rhetorical, but i wasn't saying Green was a better dman than Gonchar, only that that play wasn't indicative of it. If you said Gonchar's ability to move the puck on the powerplay, or his passing ability are the reasons, fine. But to say that a shot like the one he just took on Biron is the reason, that is what I disagree with.

And if shot is the sole reason you think Gonchar is the better of the two dmen, then i would have to disagree with your assesment. There is a reason Green was the first defenceman since '93 to score 30 or more goals, while also leading all defencemen in Shooting percentage. Gonchar hasn't lead the league in defencive goal scoring and shot percentage since the 2002 season.

202Round One: Philadelphia @ Pittsburgh - Page 14 Empty Re: Round One: Philadelphia @ Pittsburgh on Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:55 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star
Hockeyhero22000 wrote:
davetherave wrote:
Can either of these teams expect to advance beyond Round Two against Jersey or the Canes?

i dont think they can especially with fleury being fairly inconsistent

Let's see...

Right now, we have no idea who the Pens will play in Round Two.

Marky Flowers is what he is...fortunately he has The Pingu Posse to bail him out LOL.

What a series!

:%%:

203Round One: Philadelphia @ Pittsburgh - Page 14 Empty Re: Round One: Philadelphia @ Pittsburgh on Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:00 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star
Bass Destruction wrote:
davetherave wrote:
Bass Destruction wrote:
davetherave wrote:This goal demonstrates why Sergei Gonchar is a better offensive d-man than Mike Green LOL

Horrendous coverage by Philly.

I'm not so sure about that, unless of course it was sarcasm. But if it wasn't, then i personally believe there was not reason that shot should have gone in. That shot was at Biron, most capable goalies would have stopped it. Now i'm not saying Gonchar is better or not offensively than Mike Green, I'm just saying that goal wasn't indicative of the fact.

Actually Gonchar IS better than Green.

PS how many goals does Mike Green have in the playoffs so far?

And what goalie can stop a cruise missile like that one?

That's fine, i'm not saying Green is better offensively, i'm not saying he's not. I haven't given it much thought or research, so i'm not going to comment on that.

And I do believe a lot of goalies would have stopped that. It was a rocket, but he was at the top of the circle with no one in front. Any goalie that is bigger, or has better reflexes, or has the ability to move laterally while still being set would have stopped that goal. Biron had time to get set for the shot, and time to block it.

And to answer your question how many goals does Green have, he has zero. Prior to that goal, Gonchar also had zero. I understand it was rhetorical, but i wasn't saying Green was a better dman than Gonchar, only that that play wasn't indicative of it. If you said Gonchar's ability to move the puck on the powerplay, or his passing ability are the reasons, fine. But to say that a shot like the one he just took on Biron is the reason, that is what I disagree with.

And if shot is the sole reason you think Gonchar is the better of the two dmen, then i would have to disagree with your assesment. There is a reason Green was the first defenceman since '93 to score 30 or more goals, while also leading all defencemen in Shooting percentage. Gonchar hasn't lead the league in defencive goal scoring and shot percentage since the 2002 season.

BD--got your attention I see... :D:

Suggest we discuss this on the Norris or Bobby Orr threads, yes?

My position is, unlike some, I haven't jumped on the Mike Green Bandwagon.

Green scores goals. OK. All good.

Gonchar, on the other hand, has been one of the finest offensive d-men in the league for some time.

Offense is more than just making your own goal total look pretty...don't you agree?

See you on the Norris and Orr threads!

Cheers.

Cheers

204Round One: Philadelphia @ Pittsburgh - Page 14 Empty Re: Round One: Philadelphia @ Pittsburgh on Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:10 pm

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran
davetherave wrote:BD--got your attention I see... :D:

Suggest we discuss this on the Norris or Bobby Orr threads, yes?

My position is, unlike some, I haven't jumped on the Mike Green Bandwagon.

Green scores goals. OK. All good.

Gonchar, on the other hand, has been one of the finest offensive d-men in the league for some time.

Offense is more than just making your own goal total look pretty...don't you agree?

See you on the Norris and Orr threads!

Cheers.

Cheers

Something i didn't realize when deciding my name was BD is awfully close to both ED and VD. Damn!

Personally I don't think either deserve to be on the Norris trophy. I've always been one who thinks Defencemen should be DEFENCE men. But I will indeed see you there.

205Round One: Philadelphia @ Pittsburgh - Page 14 Empty Re: Round One: Philadelphia @ Pittsburgh on Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:11 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Actually, I think Dave probably meant the Bobby Orr thread. And over his career, I have to give the nod to Gonchar over Green. It's true that Green scores goals. I don't know how good he is a QBing the powerplay. Gonchar is a more complete offensive defenseman. But simply because of the sheer number of goals and the consecutive goal-scoring streak record I don't think you could rule out Green from winning the Bobby Orr trophy, when it is finally rstablished. Norris, no, at least not for a few years.

206Round One: Philadelphia @ Pittsburgh - Page 14 Empty Re: Round One: Philadelphia @ Pittsburgh on Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:20 am

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star
wprager wrote:Actually, I think Dave probably meant the Bobby Orr thread. And over his career, I have to give the nod to Gonchar over Green. It's true that Green scores goals. I don't know how good he is a QBing the powerplay. Gonchar is a more complete offensive defenseman. But simply because of the sheer number of goals and the consecutive goal-scoring streak record I don't think you could rule out Green from winning the Bobby Orr trophy, when it is finally rstablished. Norris, no, at least not for a few years.

Prags my friend, well said indeed.

May I add that Mr Niedermayer has mastered the very special art of setting up key goals in mission critcal situations for his team.

This is why Scott has four Cup rings. He may yet have a shot at a fifth.

Mr Green is young, and talented.

Let us give credit where credit is due.

PS coming back to our main topic, it will be most interesting to see who the Penguins face in Round Two.

Cheers

Cheers

Sponsored content


Back to top  Message [Page 14 of 14]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum