You are not connected. Please login or register

» All things PLAYOFFS! » Round One: Calgary @ Chicago

Round One: Calgary @ Chicago

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

POLL: Round One: Calgary @ Chicago

Round One: Calgary @ Chicago - Page 9 Vote_lcap20%Round One: Calgary @ Chicago - Page 9 Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
Round One: Calgary @ Chicago - Page 9 Vote_lcap20%Round One: Calgary @ Chicago - Page 9 Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
Round One: Calgary @ Chicago - Page 9 Vote_lcap223%Round One: Calgary @ Chicago - Page 9 Vote_rcap2 23% [ 3 ]
Round One: Calgary @ Chicago - Page 9 Vote_lcap215%Round One: Calgary @ Chicago - Page 9 Vote_rcap2 15% [ 2 ]
Round One: Calgary @ Chicago - Page 9 Vote_lcap246%Round One: Calgary @ Chicago - Page 9 Vote_rcap2 46% [ 6 ]
Round One: Calgary @ Chicago - Page 9 Vote_lcap215%Round One: Calgary @ Chicago - Page 9 Vote_rcap2 15% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 13

Go down  Message [Page 9 of 10]

121Round One: Calgary @ Chicago - Page 9 Empty Re: Round One: Calgary @ Chicago on Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:32 pm

asq2

All-Star
All-Star
^No disagreement there. But surely something has to be made of the increasing size of hockey players (and equipment).

Anyway, Kane should be fine, but I'm not sure I ever seem him physically laying waste to the opposition.

122Round One: Calgary @ Chicago - Page 9 Empty Re: Round One: Calgary @ Chicago on Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:34 pm

davetherave

All-Star
All-Star
asq2 wrote:^No disagreement there. But surely something has to be made of the increasing size of hockey players (and equipment).

Anyway, Kane should be fine, but I'm not sure I ever seem him physically laying waste to the opposition.

Martin St Louis doesn't seem to have any issues in that respect.

And it's not about 'physically laying waste to the opposition'.

This is hockey, not UFC.

123Round One: Calgary @ Chicago - Page 9 Empty Re: Round One: Calgary @ Chicago on Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:39 pm

asq2

All-Star
All-Star
davetherave wrote:
asq2 wrote:^No disagreement there. But surely something has to be made of the increasing size of hockey players (and equipment).

Martin St Louis doesn't seem to have any issues in that respect.

And it's not about 'physically laying waste to the opposition'.

This is hockey, not UFC.

Milan Lucic and a few others would disagree. Razz

Obviously, it's not essential, but it can give you a leg up. I think that's partially why Ovechkin gets the respect he does: he won't only dominate the score-sheet, but he'll leave you limping by the end of the 2nd period.

That's only a hypothetical, though. It doesn't diminish Kane from who he is, just like the fact that Crosby doesn't have Ovechkin's shot.

He should be fine.

124Round One: Calgary @ Chicago - Page 9 Empty Re: Round One: Calgary @ Chicago on Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:53 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star
ASQ...with all due respect, IMHO you're sailing off in another direction...and missing my point.

My point is that Kane should take a page from Stan Mikita's book. He doesn't need to be big to be effective. And he doesn't need to be big to become a champion. Mikita proved that. As did, and does, Marty St Louis.

125Round One: Calgary @ Chicago - Page 9 Empty Re: Round One: Calgary @ Chicago on Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:03 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star
davetherave wrote:ASQ...with all due respect, IMHO you're sailing off in another direction...and missing my point.

My point is that Kane should take a page from Stan Mikita's book. He doesn't need to be big to be effective. And he doesn't need to be big to become a champion. Mikita proved that. As did, and does, Marty St Louis.

While I may have misinterpreted you, I do agree. Kane shouldn't let that sort of mentality defeat him - and I strongly doubt he does.

I was just asking if Mikita is the best comparison. Again, your knowledge on this matter is much greater than mine. Was Mikita as proportionally small to his league as Kane is to the NHL circa 2009?

St. Louis is a perfect comparison though. Especially considering he got it done against the Flames.

126Round One: Calgary @ Chicago - Page 9 Empty Re: Round One: Calgary @ Chicago on Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:27 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star
asq2 wrote:
davetherave wrote:ASQ...with all due respect, IMHO you're sailing off in another direction...and missing my point.

While I may have misinterpreted you, I do agree. Kane shouldn't let that sort of mentality defeat him - and I strongly doubt he does.

I was just asking if Mikita is the best comparison. Again, your knowledge on this matter is much greater than mine. Was Mikita as proportionally small to his league as Kane is to the NHL circa 2009?

St. Louis is a perfect comparison though. Especially considering he got it done against the Flames.

ASQ, understood...Mikita was indeed a 'small player'...and he stood up for himself in his early years to such an extent that he was one of the most penalized players in the league.

Once he made it clear he couldn't be 'messed with'...Mikita became an even more impactful player. And he didn't have to smash into people to do it.

Ever notice how many penalties Kane takes?

IMHO if Kane models his game on Mikita, he can only become even better.
:D:

..and of course, what can we say about Marty St Louis...a tremendous competitor.

My kind of hockey heroes.

The Lucic types have their place, but they don't inspire me.

127Round One: Calgary @ Chicago - Page 9 Empty Re: Round One: Calgary @ Chicago on Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:23 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star
The mucky mucks in the Toronto sports media offer their prognosis of the Hawks-Flames conflagration:

Chicago players dismiss the inexperience factor

JEFF BLAIR, Toronto Globe and Mail, April 24, 2009 at 9:56 PM EDT

CHICAGO — Adam Burish had one question Friday: If the Calgary Flames have started to pound as much playoff sense as everybody says they have into the callow Chicago Blackhawks, how come it was the Flames who lost players in Game 4?

And as for the notion the Blackhawks' yappiness had somehow spurred Jarome Iginla to play like . . . well, to play like one of the best players in the NHL? (“The best in the world,” according to Burish.) Watch the eyes roll.

“Why would he be ticked off?” Burish asked Friday, after the Blackhawks practised at the United Center before Saturday's fifth game of their best-of-seven Western Conference quarter-final series. “I mean, you think [Iginla] needs to get up for the playoffs? What did he get? A power-play goal and an empty-netter. I saw the same guy.”

Almost every NHL playoff series relies on the same old underlying storylines to be put in context: goaltending, experience against youth, redemption, officiating, the contest between “grit” (that's the only time the word appears in this column, I swear) and finesse. This is how we live in the era of sound bites: don't think too much. Assume everything is as it seems.

Yet this series really has had it all and maybe there really is something to what Flames head coach Mike Keenan said Friday about there being more energy in this series than the others because of the crowds both here and at the Pengrowth Saddledome.

How much of a hand he had in it by playing the race card before Game 4, in reference to the verbal abuse the Blackhawks were dishing out, is still open to debate, but those around the series say the Blackhawks – particularly their splendid captain, Jonathan Toews – started to look their age in Game 4 or, more precisely, their lack of age.

It was suggested to Burish that perhaps the NHL's “memo” on chippiness after the whistle and excess verbiage resonated a little too deeply with the 'Hawks, that the Flames, who have been here before, treated it like the savvy high-school senior brushing off a trip to the principal's office while the Blackhawks were like the freshman thinking a phone call to angry parents was in the offing.

His response? Rubbish.

“We've had guys suspended for stuff before, we've dealt with this, this year,” said Burish (would that he knew how to fill an open net as much as a reporter's notebook). “I think we all know that the part about the stuff after the whistle, the punches to the head, were aimed at them [the Flames]. The trash-talking? That might as well have read ‘Adam Burish,' parentheses.”

The Blackhawks dismissed the experience factor outright, although it was interesting that Toews admitted he was a little surprised at how much “the little things,” mean in a series where the teams play each other so much that every inclination and every habit gets dissected on video time and again.

“I think you break it down a little more when you're on the losing side,” he said. “And you go over the game in your head a lot. It's all about details that lead to game-changing moments.”

So what we are talking about, then, is less experience than playoff seasoning. Both Keenan (who said he will have Daymond Langkow in the line-up Saturday, after the forward exited Game 4 with five minutes remaining with a hand injury) and his captain, Iginla, said the Flames' robust play had little to do with trying to scare the bejeezus out of the Chicago kids than it did with negating the Blackhawks' “skill-sets,” which appeared to be Keenan's word of the day.

Besides, as Flames defenceman Dion Phaneuf explained after his team's skate: “You talk about playoff experience, and the fact is we haven't had the outcome we've wanted in the past three years. We've gone out in the first round each time. That's not a very positive thing to try to build on.”

As Iginla explained it: “[The Blackhawks] are a skilled, fast team and we have a lot of success playing physically against teams like that. To be successful, we have to hit their defencemen as many times as we can. So, it's not so much young against old.”

So what should the Flames expect from the Blackhawks Saturday? Burish shrugged. The league's memo, he said, “still gives us some wiggle room.”

Eh?

“I think we'll be a little more physical. There's a fine line you have to walk … but I think we can find more wiggle room.”

128Round One: Calgary @ Chicago - Page 9 Empty Re: Round One: Calgary @ Chicago on Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:05 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Drop the puck, already!

129Round One: Calgary @ Chicago - Page 9 Empty Re: Round One: Calgary @ Chicago on Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:15 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star
The view from Calgary:

There's Something Different About . . .JAROME

Chicago players say they've seen a change in No. 12 . . . which might not be good news for Hawks fans

By Vicki Hall, Calgary Herald April 25, 2009

GAME 5:
CALGARY AT CHICAGO 7 P.M.
TV: TSN
Radio: The FAN 960

Brent Seabrook noticed something, um, difierent the other night, about Jarome Iginla.

"Yeah, I would say," said Seabrook who, along with partner Duncan Keith, is tasked with shutting down the Calgary Flames captain. "A little bit."

Difierent in what way?

"Uhhh, I don't know," he said, choosing his words carefully.

"I just think he was all fired up.

"He was ready to go right ofithe bat, and he was good.

"I can't describe it for you. I just think he was good, and that's all I'm going to say."

The Hawks have said plenty to the No. 12 in red throughout the best-of-seven Western Conference quarter-final. Thanks to a 6-4 Calgary victory Wednesday night, the Flames and Hawks are deadlocked at two games apiece heading into tonight's pivotal Game 5 at the United Center.

In the final minute of Game 3, television cameras captured an enraged Iginla screaming at Dustin Byfuglien, Ben Eager and David Bolland. Several Hawks were spotted trying to prevent Iginla from getting his hands on master agitator Adam Burish.

Prior to Game 4, the National Hockey League warned both teams to play by the rule book, especially when it came to trash talk and extracurricular activity after the whistle.

But Burish, for one, kept talking -- leaving Iginla to make noise on the scoreboard.
After going scoreless in Games 1 and 3, the captain potted two goals Wednesday -- leaving Flames fans to hope the Hawks woke up Iginla with their constant chatter.

And, perhaps, even made him mad enough to take over the series himself.

"I know the media always wants to bring this story up like, 'Oh, you're going to tick off Jarome Iginla,' " Burish said.

"But why would he not play with an edge? Why would he not be ticked off? It's playoff time.

"He wants to be the best player on the ice.

"He wants to show everyone he's the best player on the ice every night."

And besides, Burish said, he notched two points in Game 3.

Hardly unusual.

"You know, he scored a power-play goal and an empty-net goal," Burish said.

"But did he do anything extraordinarily difierent than he normally does? No.

"Did he make a difierence out there? Yeah, he makes a difierence every night."

Not every night -- at least, not this season. Oh, Iginla put up decent numbers this regular season with 35 goals and 89 points. But inconsistency plagued him.

Some games, he dominated. Others, he disappeared.

And that trend followed him into the playofis against Chicago.

In Game 1, Seabrook and Keith kept him off the scoresheet. In Game 2, he notched a goal and assist.

Game 3 in Calgary? Another goose-egg.

So the footage of Iginla looking ready to pop a blood vessel?

Very welcome, at least in Calgary.

"Yeah, he's been fired up the last few games," said fellow sniper Michael Cammalleri. "But he's been fired up since the playoffs started. He always carries that intensity, that fire.

"But I think there's another level that he's starting to get to, come these playoffs."

One fan went as far as creating a sign with Iginla's head superimposed on the body of the Incredible Hulk with the words, "Go ahead, make me mad."

After practice Friday, Iginla seemed the picture of tranquillity as he conducted his daily media scrum.

"Was I fired up? Yeah I was fired up," the captain said. "I still think I'm fired up, and I think all of our guys are fired up as far as wanting to win this series."

But the captain said he is fuelled by the chance to take a 3-2 lead in the series -- not a chance to silence incessant trash talk.

"In our dressing room, we do whatever it takes within as close to the rules as we can to win," he said.

"That's what it's about. You get out there, and you know that every team in the playoffs wants the same thing. We're definitely very hungry for it."

As for his flash of rage in Game 3?

"It's part of competing," he said. "Sometimes, sure, there are moments when you don't act with the best control.

"But the identify of our team is to be very aggressive, to a man, each guy, to compete and find that balance with your emotions."

To Burish, Iginla plays with an emotional edge game in and game out.

"Nah, I didn't see a (different) Jarome Iginla," Burish said.

"I saw a guy who every time I said something to him, he'd get angry right back at me.

"He's an elite player for a reason.

"In the last game, he just happened to get his points.

"And he's going to get his points throughout this series.

"But these stories that are being made, I don't agree with them."

With that, Burish offered up Iginla the ultimate compliment.

"When you're the best player in the world," he said, "you're going to be the best player on the ice."

Kinda sounds like the opposite of talking trash.

©️ Copyright (c) The Calgary Herald

130Round One: Calgary @ Chicago - Page 9 Empty Re: Round One: Calgary @ Chicago on Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:24 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star
Jeebus...almost eight minutes gone already...the pace is heartstopping.

:****:

131Round One: Calgary @ Chicago - Page 9 Empty Re: Round One: Calgary @ Chicago on Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:25 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star
HAWKS SCORE!!!

132Round One: Calgary @ Chicago - Page 9 Empty Re: Round One: Calgary @ Chicago on Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:28 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Nice!

133Round One: Calgary @ Chicago - Page 9 Empty Re: Round One: Calgary @ Chicago on Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:31 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star
Seabrook with a GREAT shot...

PS My heart rate is WAYYYY too high tonight LOL.

A must win for the Blackhawks IMHO.

They'll have to attack...and not let up.

What a game!

134Round One: Calgary @ Chicago - Page 9 Empty Re: Round One: Calgary @ Chicago on Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:31 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star
HAWKS SCORE!!!

135Round One: Calgary @ Chicago - Page 9 Empty Re: Round One: Calgary @ Chicago on Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:33 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star
VERSTEEEEEEGGGGG

HAWKS SCORE!!!

136Round One: Calgary @ Chicago - Page 9 Empty Re: Round One: Calgary @ Chicago on Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:48 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star
The first period the Blackhawks HAD to play.

15 shots to 3.

And three goals they need.

The Flames will not quit...so the Hawks will have to be ruthless.

FingersCrossed

137Round One: Calgary @ Chicago - Page 9 Empty Re: Round One: Calgary @ Chicago on Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:15 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star
The Hawks chase Kipper. 4-1.

They must be ruthless. The Flames will not quit.

Still much hockey to play... FingersCrossed

138Round One: Calgary @ Chicago - Page 9 Empty Re: Round One: Calgary @ Chicago on Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:37 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star
Five to one.

Going into the third period, the Hawks must be ruthless.

The Flames are a proud team and they will not go down quietly.

Two words describe what the Blackhawks have to achieve in this crucial match.

Discipline.

Domination.

Still much hockey to play.

FingersCrossed

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 9 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum