You are not connected. Please login or register

» All things PLAYOFFS! » Round One: Calgary @ Chicago

Round One: Calgary @ Chicago

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

POLL: Round One: Calgary @ Chicago

Round One: Calgary @ Chicago - Page 2 Vote_lcap20%Round One: Calgary @ Chicago - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
Round One: Calgary @ Chicago - Page 2 Vote_lcap20%Round One: Calgary @ Chicago - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
Round One: Calgary @ Chicago - Page 2 Vote_lcap223%Round One: Calgary @ Chicago - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 23% [ 3 ]
Round One: Calgary @ Chicago - Page 2 Vote_lcap215%Round One: Calgary @ Chicago - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 15% [ 2 ]
Round One: Calgary @ Chicago - Page 2 Vote_lcap246%Round One: Calgary @ Chicago - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 46% [ 6 ]
Round One: Calgary @ Chicago - Page 2 Vote_lcap215%Round One: Calgary @ Chicago - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 15% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 13

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 10]

16Round One: Calgary @ Chicago - Page 2 Empty Re: Round One: Calgary @ Chicago on Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:50 pm

beedub

Veteran
Veteran
When I look at how this team lost this many games during the regular season, I shrug my shoulders. Yes, so what. Everyone is reset to 0.

Now's the time where Iginla, Jokinen, Regehr and Phaneuf and company put the regular season behind them and focus on what REALLY matters to them, that's winning in the playoffs.

IMO Kiprusoff will be a' cookin!!

17Round One: Calgary @ Chicago - Page 2 Empty Re: Round One: Calgary @ Chicago on Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:57 pm

davetherave

All-Star
All-Star
[quote="asq2"]
davetherave wrote:
beedub wrote:And Jonathan Toews, even at just 20 years old, is no less a leader than Jarome Iginla.

:KJK: That's certainly a high expectation. I don't know that he's at that level yet.

Toews isn't at Iginla's level as a player yet...few are...agreed?

But as a leader, Jonathan Toews is every bit the driving force by example, for his team, that Iggy is for the Flames.

18Round One: Calgary @ Chicago - Page 2 Empty Re: Round One: Calgary @ Chicago on Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:03 pm

beedub

Veteran
Veteran
[quote="davetherave"]
asq2 wrote:
davetherave wrote:
beedub wrote:And Jonathan Toews, even at just 20 years old, is no less a leader than Jarome Iginla.

:KJK: That's certainly a high expectation. I don't know that he's at that level yet.

But as a leader, Jonathan Toews is every bit the driving force by example, for his team, that Iggy is for the Flames.

WTF, I never said Jothan Toews is no less a leader than Iginla.

Not too many players in this league are better leaders than Iginla

19Round One: Calgary @ Chicago - Page 2 Empty Re: Round One: Calgary @ Chicago on Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:05 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star
I don't believe there is any dispute that Toews will be a tremendous leader or even that he is one now, he is just not quite to the level that Iginla is, and for Iginla, it comes from experience, that cannot be bred, that has to be earned, Toews will have that chance to earn his experience with a revamped team in Chicago.

20Round One: Calgary @ Chicago - Page 2 Empty Re: Round One: Calgary @ Chicago on Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:14 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star
beedub wrote:When I look at how this team lost this many games during the regular season, I shrug my shoulders. Yes, so what. Everyone is reset to 0.

Now's the time where Iginla, Jokinen, Regehr and Phaneuf and company put the regular season behind them and focus on what REALLY matters to them, that's winning in the playoffs.

IMO Kiprusoff will be a' cookin!!

The Bulin Wall Versus The Kipper.

Keith, Seabrook, Campbell and Co Versus Phaneuf, Regehr and Co.

Toews Vs Iginla.

Patrick Kane and Marty Havlat Vs Mike Cammaleri and Olli Jokinen.

Joel Quenneville Vs. Mike Keenan.

And so on...

This should be a terrific series.

Some historical footnotes of interest--and curiosity...

The last time the Hawks and Flames met in the playoffs was 1995-96, when Chicago eliminated Calgary 4-0 in the Conference quarterfinal. Current Devils coach Brent Sutter played for that team, which was coached by Craig Hartsburg.

The goalie matchup was Eddie Belfour for the Hawks and Trevor Kidd for the Flames.

Former Hawks coach Denis Savard was a member of that Hawks team as well.

Of the players on those teams, then-Hawks Chris Chelios, Jeremy Roenick, Ethan Moreau are still playing, as are then-Flames Cory Stillman, Michael Nylander, and...Jarome Iginla.

All but Moreau will see action in this year's SCP.

21Round One: Calgary @ Chicago - Page 2 Empty Re: Round One: Calgary @ Chicago on Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:15 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star
[quote="beedub"]
davetherave wrote:
asq2 wrote:
davetherave wrote:

Agreed! Smile

22Round One: Calgary @ Chicago - Page 2 Empty Re: Round One: Calgary @ Chicago on Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:17 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star
davetherave wrote:

The last time the Hawks and Flames met in the playoffs was 1995-96, when Chicago eliminated Calgary 4-0 in the Conference quarterfinal. Current Devils coach Brent Sutter played for that team, which was coached by Craig Hartsburg.

Who? I am not familiar with that name. lol.

23Round One: Calgary @ Chicago - Page 2 Empty Re: Round One: Calgary @ Chicago on Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:05 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star
More fascinating factoids:

Adrian Aucoin signed a four year deal with Dale Tallon and the Hawks in 2005 (at the same time Khabibulin was inked), and was named team captain (Toews is his successor); but after two seasons hampered by injury, he waived his NTC to go to the Flames. Neither Andrei Zyuzin nor Steve Marr, the players who went to Chicago, are now with the team.

Flames GM Darryl Sutter, Mike Keenan (as a coach of both teams), Aucoin, Jim Vandermeer and Rene Bourque are all former Hawks.

24Round One: Calgary @ Chicago - Page 2 Empty Re: Round One: Calgary @ Chicago on Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:12 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star
[quote="beedub"]
davetherave wrote:
asq2 wrote:
davetherave wrote:

Whoops. I was trying to quote DTR. My apologies. DOH!

25Round One: Calgary @ Chicago - Page 2 Empty Re: Round One: Calgary @ Chicago on Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:06 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star
IMHO Iggy still remembers the sweep of the Flames by the Hawks in '96.

He will be fired up to a whole other level. The question is if Kipper, Joker, Cammi, Bert, Dion and the gang will be ready to go there.

The Hawks can expect the Flames to come out breathing fire in Game One...no pun intended.

PS some SERIOUS history between these teams...then...and now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-aqpQKjVRw

:fight:

Smile

26Round One: Calgary @ Chicago - Page 2 Empty Re: Round One: Calgary @ Chicago on Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:22 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
I can't believe I'm choosing the Hawks - just because I could've sworn Calgary had what it took, but there's something fishy about the Flames this year. Can't put my finger on it, but it doesn't all add up.

27Round One: Calgary @ Chicago - Page 2 Empty Re: Round One: Calgary @ Chicago on Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:21 pm

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran
Has Calgary been waiting for the playoffs, or are they a fraud?

Chicago in 5. Sutter steps down, running from the cap mess he created. Keenan gets bumped upstairs.

28Round One: Calgary @ Chicago - Page 2 Empty Re: Round One: Calgary @ Chicago on Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:04 am

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star
“Calgary’s a good team. They’ve been short players lately, but they’ll have a full roster for the playoffs. (The playoffs) will be a fresh start. They’ve got experience, and we’ve got to learn on the job.”—Hawks coach Joel Quenneville, after learning the Calgary Flames will be the Hawks’ first opponent in the postseason.

29Round One: Calgary @ Chicago - Page 2 Empty Re: Round One: Calgary @ Chicago on Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:23 am

sennies1980

sennies1980
Prospect
Prospect
Chicago in 7

http://talkinghockey.wordpress.com

30Round One: Calgary @ Chicago - Page 2 Empty Re: Round One: Calgary @ Chicago on Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:58 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Will the Flames have their full roster back? They've made a LOT of call-ups recently.

The Flames have place defenceman Anders Eriksson on re-entry
waivers. Bourque, Warrener, Phaneuf and Roy are all injured players
that skated with the team. Phaneuf had a back pad swed into his jersey
at practice and said that he'll be ready to play on Thursday.- TSN

The team has also recalled forwards Dustin Boyd, Kyle Greentree, Warren
Peters, Brett Sutter and David Van der Gulik as well as goaltender
Leland Irving from Quad City of the AHL. - News Release

31Round One: Calgary @ Chicago - Page 2 Empty Re: Round One: Calgary @ Chicago on Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:14 am

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
dennycrane wrote:Has Calgary been waiting for the playoffs, or are they a fraud?

Chicago in 5. Sutter steps down, running from the cap mess he created. Keenan gets bumped upstairs.

WHoa! If that's True, Kennan has shown, in my view anyway, that he is NOT fit to GM properly.

Has for Sutter stepping down, his moves made sense at the deadline. Sure he gambled, and like they always say, when their moves pay off, they are received and hailed as geniuses and heros; however should they fail, they run the risk of being vilified and run out of town.

I think Calgary may surprise a few people, but can they weather the Hawks fury?

Chicago in 6.

32Round One: Calgary @ Chicago - Page 2 Empty Re: Round One: Calgary @ Chicago on Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:12 am

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star
The Flames will do whatever they have to do to win a game at the United Center. The Hawks will have to be ready to play a 'perfect pair' at home...and take one at the Saddledome.

A major challenge for this young Blackhawks team. The Flames have a history of playing desperate, take no prisoners playoff hockey.

Coach Quenneville would probably like to see the Hawks finish this in five.

So Chicago's strategy needs to be, 'be disciplined, be focused, overwhelm the opponent early and keep hammering--don't let them get back up off the mat'...because Iggy and Co won't quit.

Can't wait.

33Round One: Calgary @ Chicago - Page 2 Empty Re: Round One: Calgary @ Chicago on Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:21 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Are you nervous Dave?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum