You are not connected. Please login or register

GAME OF THE NIGHT: Flyers at Penguins, Wednesday April 15, 7pm ET

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 3]

PKC

All-Star
All-Star
Philadelphia had a lot of things not go their way last night...quite an unlucky game for them. But, you know the adage, you work hard to create the bounces you need to win...and unfortunately, as much bad luck as they had, they didn't really do much to deserve to be in the game.

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder
asq2 wrote:Bill Guerin's a great addition for them. Loved him fighting Coburn even when the game was over.

I'm not a huge fan of the Pens' D, and Fleury will have to hold up, but the Pens have to be considered one of the contenders for the East under Bylsma.

Is that possible for 4 rounds? Is it possible for 2?

Was last year an enigma? Questions abound. Ahhhhh!

PKC

All-Star
All-Star
504Heater wrote:
asq2 wrote:Bill Guerin's a great addition for them. Loved him fighting Coburn even when the game was over.

I'm not a huge fan of the Pens' D, and Fleury will have to hold up, but the Pens have to be considered one of the contenders for the East under Bylsma.

I don't think the Penguins hold a candle to the Bruins unfortunately.

It seems once again, that the eastern conference has one very good team that will steam roll it's way to the finals, and the west has 8 teams that could make it to the finals.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
PKC wrote:I don't think the Penguins hold a candle to the Bruins unfortunately.

It seems once again, that the eastern conference has one very good team that will steam roll it's way to the finals, and the west has 8 teams that could make it to the finals.

I swear, I'm starting to wonder PKC. They've got a damn solid lineup, that's been down and out for so long this year that people are sort of thinking of them as an after thought.

I think they have the goods to go to the Cup again - BUT, they have some pretty shaky goaltending at times.

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star
504Heater wrote:
PKC wrote:I don't think the Penguins hold a candle to the Bruins unfortunately.

I swear, I'm starting to wonder PKC. They've got a damn solid lineup, that's been down and out for so long this year that people are sort of thinking of them as an after thought.

I think they have the goods to go to the Cup again - BUT, they have some pretty shaky goaltending at times.

Sure they've got a decent lineup, but Philadelphia played like fools yesterday, and I can assure you they won't play another game like that again.

AND have you seen the Boston Bruins play this year? I think they've been itching to get off regular season cruise control and start playing some hockey that's worth a damn.

Not to mention, in my honest opinion, I don't think Pittsburgh could beat New Jersey either.

This all doesn't take credit away from Pittsburgh and the team they have. But I just don't see them being deep enough to go all the way.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star
PKC wrote:
504Heater wrote:

That's a big statement. :KJK:

The Pens beat the Bruins 6-4 on March 15 with the current edition of their lineup.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
PKC wrote:
Sure they've got a decent lineup, but Philadelphia played like fools yesterday, and I can assure you they won't play another game like that again.

AND have you seen the Boston Bruins play this year? I think they've been itching to get off regular season cruise control and start playing some hockey that's worth a damn.

Not to mention, in my honest opinion, I don't think Pittsburgh could beat New Jersey either.

This all doesn't take credit away from Pittsburgh and the team they have. But I just don't see them being deep enough to go all the way.

A fair assessment. Philly (specifically Hartnell) was rubbish last night - and I doubt they do it again.

The Bruins are silly good, but they have some weaknesses that a team like Pittsburgh could exploit. Gonna be interesting!

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star
davetherave wrote:
PKC wrote:
504Heater wrote:

That's a big statement. :KJK:

The Pens beat the Bruins 6-4 on March 15 with the current edition of their lineup.

It is a big statement...but I just don't see how Pittsburgh's third and fourth line are even in the same league as Boston's.

And Boston's D is just so much better all around than Pittsburgh's.

I don't know, I just don't think they compare.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star
PKC wrote:
davetherave wrote:[That's a big statement. :KJK:

It is a big statement...but I just don't see how Pittsburgh's third and fourth line are even in the same league as Boston's.

More big statements :KJK: ...

Have you compared their depth charts?

3rd line Pens: Staal-Fedotenko-Sykora
4th line Pens: Talbot-Dupuis-Godard

Looks like a pretty strong match to me...

Beyond Chara and Wideman--assuming you match them with Gonchar-Orpik (and why argue whether Chara is better than Gonchar...they have different strengths and simply both two of the best)--who are the elements on D for Boston who are 'so much better'?

And...the key element you so casually dismiss...who do the Bruins have, who match Crosby and Malkin?

To borrow an old phrase, you may "selling the skin of the bear" here...
Wink

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
davetherave wrote:

Beyond Chara and Wideman--assuming you match them with Gonchar-Orpik (and why argue whether Chara is better than Gonchar...they have different strengths and simply both two of the best)--who are the elements on D for Boston who are 'so much better'?

And...the key element you so casually dismiss...who do the Bruins have, who match Crosby and Malkin?

Wink

Staal, Sykora, Fedetenko is a great 3rd line, but Boston's is legitimately a 2nd line with a 3rd line disguise on.

The D is where it could get interesting. And if Thomas poops his pantaloons.

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star
davetherave wrote:
PKC wrote:
davetherave wrote:[That's a big statement. :KJK:

Wink

I'm not comparing individual talent...I'm comparing their play as a unit. Obviously if we compare straight up talent, it seems the edge goes to the Penguins because Crosby and Malkin are superstars and Marc Savard isn't.

But I think even despite having those two mega-centers in Pittsburgh that Boston is still close in talent down the middle -- Savard, Krejci, Bergeron.

Where Boston really has the advantage though is down the wing -- Kessel, Ryder, Wheeler, Kobasew, Lucic and Recchi vs Sykora, Fedotenko, Satan, Kunitz, and Guerin.

Boston's wingers are bigger, faster, stronger and score more goals collectively than Pittsburgh's bunch do.

In the backend though, I'd give the hat tip easily to Chara-Wideman over Gonchar-Orpik. Easily. The rest of their respective dmen might be closer than one would give credit for, but I still like Boston's blueline just a touch more.

And then there's the goaltending. I don't think it's an accident that Thomas had the year he had. He's played well enough to earn a Vezina trophy, and I think his play inspires the guys around him to be a better unit.

As for Fleury, I don't know...his March/April save% is scarily close to being sub 0.900.

It might be a close series, but then again it would appear that Boston has the easier first round matchup and that Pittsburgh (despite last night's game) might have a dogfight ahead of them. It just depends who gets more momentum heading into the matchup, much like all these playoff series usually are.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star
Makes sense PKC...we'll see!

Sure you're not a closet Bruins fan? LOL

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star
davetherave wrote:Makes sense PKC...we'll see!

Haha, to be honest, I'm completely not cheering for anyone from the East to win it. I'd rather see one of those western conference teams win, so many of them are so much more deserving.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star
PKC wrote:
davetherave wrote:Makes sense PKC...we'll see!

Haha, to be honest, I'm completely not cheering for anyone from the East to win it. I'd rather see one of those western conference teams win, so many of them are so much more deserving.

Who do you like in the West?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum