New laptop...

shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Number of posts : 31416
    Location : I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-12

New laptop...

Post by shabbs on Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:56 pm

Gots me a new laptop yesterday.... yay!

Lenovo ThinkPad T500:
    - Intel Core 2 Duo processor P8400 (2.26GHz 1066MHz 3MBL2)
    - 15.4" WSXGA+ TFT High Resolution (1680 x 1050) LCD screen
    - ATI Mobility Radeon 3650 video card with 256MB memory
    - 3 GB PC3-8500 DDR3 (2 DIMM) memory
    - 160GB SATA Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm
    - DVD Recordable, Ultrabay Slim
    - Integrated webcam

It came with Vista but man, Vista is so horrible. I downgraded it to XP today... sweeet! Me likey.
    SensGirl11
    Mod
    Mod

Number of posts : 5050
    Registration date : 2008-08-13

Re: New laptop...

Post by SensGirl11 on Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:01 pm

shabbs wrote:Gots me a new laptop yesterday.... yay!

Lenovo ThinkPad T500:
    - Integrated webcam

It came with Vista but man, Vista is so horrible. I downgraded it to XP today... sweeet! Me likey.

I actually don't mind Vista at all. I thought I would hate it, but so far so good for me. This is coming from someone who rarely uses my home computer though, except to download some itunes and check e-mail etc...

I love the windows at the bottom of the screen, you can just place your cursor on it and it'll show you what you are working on.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 54296
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by PTFlea on Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:24 pm

I want one too.... Sad
    The Silfer Server
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 2270
    Registration date : 2008-10-14

Post by The Silfer Server on Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:45 pm

I love Lenovo. My parents have a Lenovo laptop, and my desktop is a Lenovo as well. Very well built machines. Very innovative too. My parents laptop has a built in light that illuminates the keyboard when it's dark.

I'm thinking of buying a Lenovo laptop to compliment my desktop, Shabbs, you'll have to tell me how you like yours. I probably won't go that fancy, since i already have a desktop, but at the same time, I'm a weak man, and will probably splurge.
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Post by shabbs on Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:59 pm

So far, the T500 has been excellent. It was a quite a job to downgrade it from Vista to XP, let me tell you. Took me two full days to get it done and get all the right drivers.

The big thing I wanted was the high res wide screeen LCD, the 3GB of memory and the fast HDD.

If the T series is too pricey, you can look at the R and the SL series of laptops.

At the end of the day, it came to just over $1200 factoring in discounts and deals that were on at the time.
    The Silfer Server
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 2270
    Registration date : 2008-10-14

Post by The Silfer Server on Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:08 pm

$1200 is Damn good for what you got. My TV is my desktop monitor, and I use my TV as my entertainment station. But I miss chatting during games, and checking other scores, because I always end up doing it at inopportune times and missing goals, so I've been looking at getting a NetBook. The Lenovo S10 has gotten good reviews, and is around the $400-$500 which is affordable to me at this time.

Although I've also been saving up for Laser Eye surgery, so I have to weigh my options.
    PKC
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 5817

Post by PKC on Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:23 pm

I'm planning on buying a new laptop soon. Hopefully something that can last a while...I'm also seriously considering a MacBook, so we'll see how things in the PC world shake out over the summer and what kind of deals I can stumble on to.
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Post by shabbs on Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:51 pm

Bass Destruction wrote:$1200 is Damn good for what you got. My TV is my desktop monitor, and I use my TV as my entertainment station. But I miss chatting during games, and checking other scores, because I always end up doing it at inopportune times and missing goals, so I've been looking at getting a NetBook. The Lenovo S10 has gotten good reviews, and is around the $400-$500 which is affordable to me at this time.

Although I've also been saving up for Laser Eye surgery, so I have to weigh my options.
    The S10 would give you a ultra-portable laptop that seems to be getting pretty good reviews...

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=4620

Not sure what else is out there at that price level.

TigerDirect.ca usually have some crazy blockbuster deals every now and then on notebooks.

Post by Guest on Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:30 pm

SensGirl11 wrote:
    shabbs wrote:Gots me a new laptop yesterday.... yay!

Lenovo ThinkPad T500:
    - Integrated webcam

I actually don't mind Vista at all. I thought I would hate it, but so far so good for me. This is coming from someone who rarely uses my home computer though, except to download some itunes and check e-mail etc...

I love the windows at the bottom of the screen, you can just place your cursor on it and it'll show you what you are working on.

Ugh Vista. I'm stuck with it on my lappy. Serves me right for buying a Dell. Nice laptop otherwise though. Having 200 processes running all the time, really sucks though, even with a couple of gigs or ram or more. It's staggering how bad Vista really is.

Thank god Vista is dead.
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Post by shabbs on Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:33 pm

I tried to give Vista a good whirl, but I'm a power user and like to tweak a lot of the OS and make changes to the system files etc... and it was not letting me do it nicely.

I'll wait for Windows 7.

Wink
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 47790
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by wprager on Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:30 pm

shabbs wrote:So far, the T500 has been excellent. It was a quite a job to downgrade it from Vista to XP, let me tell you. Took me two full days to get it done and get all the right drivers.

The big thing I wanted was the high res wide screeen LCD, the 3GB of memory and the fast HDD.

If the T series is too pricey, you can look at the R and the SL series of laptops.

At the end of the day, it came to just over $1200 factoring in discounts and deals that were on at the time.

$1200, eh? For that much money you could probably have bought an Apple Barbie learning laptop. Runs on 3 AAs and has a 40x5 LCD "screen". :^^^^:
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Post by shabbs on Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:32 pm

Actually, the price of Apple notebooks is pretty comparable and reasonable these days...
    Mojo
    Rookie
    Rookie

Number of posts : 498
    Registration date : 2008-08-28

Post by Mojo on Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:52 am

I don't get the vista bashing. I have had it for two years and there is no way I would go back to XP. It has all the same features as XP, run pretty efficiently as long as you have a newer model computer, and has so much more polish. I know there were plenty on incompatibility issues when it first came out, but those days are long gone.

Post by Guest on Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:54 am

I guess Vista is cool if you "own" everything you use it with/for...
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Post by shabbs on Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:22 am

Mojo wrote:I don't get the vista bashing. I have had it for two years and there is no way I would go back to XP. It has all the same features as XP, run pretty efficiently as long as you have a newer model computer, and has so much more polish. I know there were plenty on incompatibility issues when it first came out, but those days are long gone.
    I probably need to spend some more time with it. This was my first view at Vista and I needed to get my laptop setup and ready asap. What I should do is setup a VM and give Vista a spin there to get comfortable with it and how it works with all it's new security restrictions etc...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:12 am