Hobiesens
    Sophomore
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 800
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-11-06

Sens Prospects

Post by Hobiesens on Wed May 13, 2009 10:05 am

I don't agree with everything written but worth the read.....

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=278450
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 54125
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Re: Sens Prospects

Post by PTFlea on Wed May 13, 2009 10:42 am

Hobiesens wrote:I don't agree with everything written but worth the read.....

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=278450

Thanks for posting, I'll definitely take a look.
    davetherave
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 6803
    Favorite Team : Chicago
    Registration date : 2009-01-22

Post by davetherave on Wed May 13, 2009 11:01 am

From the TSN article cited above:

The Ottawa Senators have had a strong history of drafting and developing prospects, but many of them are no longer on their present roster.

They no longer have the depth of elite talent they once had, however, the Senators do have some potential NHL players on this list. This group does have some skill, but the character and grit sometimes overshadows it since there are only a couple well-known names.

It is worth noting that the Sens do have a couple of potential NHL players whom have graduated off the prospects list because of the number of games they have played: Jeff Glass and Peter Regin. They did have a strong Russian contingent in their system with Alexander Nikulin, Ilya Zubov, Igor Mirnov, Kirill Lyamin and Vitali Anikeyenko. Unfortunately, most of these Russians either did not come over to North America or develop as expected.

Up front in North America they have Ilya Zubov, Jim O'Brien, Cody Bass, Shawn Weller, Kaspars Daugavins, Zach Smith, Derek Grant and Louie Caporusso, but none of them are considered to be top line players.

The Sens still have the rights to Russian Ruslan Bashkirov, who has been in Russia the past two seasons after a year in the QMJHL. It is uncertain whether Bashkirov will come over to the AHL next season or stay in Russia permanently. From this group the Sens could develop some fine role players who might help their secondary scoring down the road. What they are missing are dynamic offensive players that have the skill to produce at an elite level.

The strength for Ottawa's system is on the blueline, where things look bright with Brian Lee, Erik Karlsson, Patrick Wiercioch, Eric Gryba, and Tomas Kudelka. It is possible the trio of Karlsson, Lee and Wiercioch all have the potential to be top four defenscmen in the NHL. Of the three, only Lee looks to be ready to play full time next year, with Karlsson and Wiercioch a year or two behind. To Kudelka's credit he has improved his play in the AHL and might be able to take his game to the next level. Expect Gryba to turn pro after winning a National Championship with Boston University.

In goal they have some depth and talent at the NHL level with Brian Elliot and newly acquired Pascal LeClaire. The third man between the pipes who has some potential to play at the NHL level is Glass. As noted earlier, Glass has four seasons as a pro under his belt and has played enough games to be removed from the Senators prospect list. This situation will allow the Senators time to draft and groom a goaltender for the future.

Long term the Senators must focus on obtaining offensively skilled forwards they can build the rest of their prospects around over the next few drafts. With high first and second picks in a deep draft this year, the Sens should be able to add pieces to the puzzle.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Wed May 13, 2009 11:12 am

What does Greening and Condra have to do to get on these lists. They have excellent potential to be 3rd line character player - with the potential to be 2nd liners. Especially Greening with his size and clutch goal performances.

I also respectfully disagree with Daugavins being in there. He took a few major steps back and two guys, Andre Petersson and Emil Sandin, took major steps forward. Especially Emil Sandin, who's being described as an excellent 2-way forward - a la....you guess it, Zetterberg (hahaha, always with the Zetterberg comparisons). Still, he's getting more and more highly touted. Petersson has improved his defensive game 10 fold, his offense is on par with a young Havlat.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/andre_petersson

Otherwise, this is a pretty good assessment. No top line talent (another reason our top line was signed for so long), but a slew of 2nd liners and 3rd liner - with character and grit and size, something we've lacked IMHO.

And of course, the beginnings of what will hopefully be a beautiful defensive crew.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Wed May 13, 2009 11:18 am

Now Erik Karlsson is not the biggest blueliner in the bunch at 5-foot-11 and 175

Hey, WTF, there it is. Finally some clarification on his size and weight. If that's true, I would expect he'll be 180-185 at training camp. Perhaps even 190. That's the ticket. Cheering
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Wed May 13, 2009 11:19 am

Karlsson does not have a booming shot from the point but he has a knack for getting it on net.

confused

What? He has a canon of a shot. What...uh....the Diddle?
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Wed May 13, 2009 11:22 am

Brian Lee can blast the puck from the point and should be able to contribute on the power play.

Crying Help me, have I gone into a time warp? Karlsson doesn't have a booming shot, but Brian lee can blast the puck?

Help...I...must be losing my diddling mind.
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 24741
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

Post by SeawaySensFan on Wed May 13, 2009 11:29 am

504Heater wrote:Brian Lee can blast the puck from the point and should be able to contribute on the power play.

Crying Help me, have I gone into a time warp? Karlsson doesn't have a booming shot, but Brian lee can blast the puck?

Jimi Hendrix evoked those same feelings with If Six Was Nine.
    SensGirl11
    Mod
    Mod

Number of posts : 5050
    Registration date : 2008-08-13

Post by SensGirl11 on Wed May 13, 2009 11:45 am

504Heater wrote:Brian Lee can blast the puck from the point and should be able to contribute on the power play.

Laughing3 They definitely have their Dung upside down here.

I've never seen Lee throw a canon to the net. Ok, maybe once or twice. But not much more than that.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Wed May 13, 2009 11:50 am

SensGirl11 wrote:
    Laughing3 They definitely have their Dung upside down here.

I've never seen Lee throw a canon to the net. Ok, maybe once or twice. But not much more than that.

:^^^^: That's because he doesn't have a canon, they got it mixed up I assume. Very strange, the more I read the article, the more rushed it looks.

Post by Guest on Wed May 13, 2009 11:57 am

A strong wind would hinder Lee's shot from getting to the net.
    Acrobat
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 1565
    Registration date : 2008-08-06

Post by Acrobat on Wed May 13, 2009 11:22 pm

Neely4Life wrote:A strong wind would hinder Lee's shot from getting to the net.

Strong? One of the forwards passes gas and the puck changes course...
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 47513
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by wprager on Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:59 pm

Here's an update on the Sens prospects:

http://senators.nhl.com/v2/ext/PDFs/Prospect_Update-020810.pdf

LeCaptain
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 12030
    Registration date : 2008-12-01

Post by LeCaptain on Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:39 pm

Cowen + 18 with a 4th in the division team is quite sexy.
    I would put this in the prospect section though

Post by Guest on Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:42 pm

Grant still producing as a freshman as well. Caprusso is struggling now, he's in tough when he gets a shot in Bingo.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:59 am