You are not connected. Please login or register

» All things PLAYOFFS! » SCP '09 ROUND 3, WEST CONFERENCE FINAL: DETROIT RED WINGS VS. CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS

SCP '09 ROUND 3, WEST CONFERENCE FINAL: DETROIT RED WINGS VS. CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

WINGS VS HAWKS SCP WEST FINAL '09: WHO WINS? HOW MANY GAMES?

SCP '09 ROUND 3, WEST CONFERENCE FINAL: DETROIT RED WINGS VS. CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS Vote_lcap20%SCP '09 ROUND 3, WEST CONFERENCE FINAL: DETROIT RED WINGS VS. CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
SCP '09 ROUND 3, WEST CONFERENCE FINAL: DETROIT RED WINGS VS. CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS Vote_lcap210%SCP '09 ROUND 3, WEST CONFERENCE FINAL: DETROIT RED WINGS VS. CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS Vote_rcap2 10% [ 1 ]
SCP '09 ROUND 3, WEST CONFERENCE FINAL: DETROIT RED WINGS VS. CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS Vote_lcap260%SCP '09 ROUND 3, WEST CONFERENCE FINAL: DETROIT RED WINGS VS. CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS Vote_rcap2 60% [ 6 ]
SCP '09 ROUND 3, WEST CONFERENCE FINAL: DETROIT RED WINGS VS. CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS Vote_lcap20%SCP '09 ROUND 3, WEST CONFERENCE FINAL: DETROIT RED WINGS VS. CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
SCP '09 ROUND 3, WEST CONFERENCE FINAL: DETROIT RED WINGS VS. CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS Vote_lcap210%SCP '09 ROUND 3, WEST CONFERENCE FINAL: DETROIT RED WINGS VS. CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS Vote_rcap2 10% [ 1 ]
SCP '09 ROUND 3, WEST CONFERENCE FINAL: DETROIT RED WINGS VS. CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS Vote_lcap220%SCP '09 ROUND 3, WEST CONFERENCE FINAL: DETROIT RED WINGS VS. CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS Vote_rcap2 20% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 10

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 10]

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star
Chicago Blackhawks relish Original Six matchup with Detroit Red Wings

Chris Kuc, Chicago Tribune/May 15, 2009

Late in the Blackhawks' victory over the Vancouver Canucks in Game 6 of the Western Conference semifinals Monday night, fans at the United Center started a derisive chant about the Detroit Red Wings.

They are going to get their chance to continue it as the Wings advanced to the conference finals with a 4-3 victory over the Anaheim Ducks in Game 7 of their semifinal series Thursday night.

Detroit's victory set up an Original Six matchup against the well-rested Hawks in the conference finals beginning this weekend at Joe Louis Arena. The series will be a rematch of the last time the Hawks reached the third round in 1995, when the Wings advanced to the Stanley Cup finals four games to one.

"Detroit is arguably the best team in the league," Hawks coach Joel Quenneville said. "Coming off winning the Cup they know what it's like to win and play in big games. They have several high-end offensive guys. They have maybe the best player in the league in [ Nicklas] Lidstrom on the back end. They're strong and very explosive. Seems like every game we played them this year there were a lot of goals scored. There's a lot to be concerned with."

The Hawks were 2-2-2 during the regular season against their Central Division rivals, including home-and-away victories over the final weekend.

"There really are no weaknesses in their game, starting from the goaltender on out," said Hawks winger Patrick Sharp, who had a goal and two assists in four games against the Wings this season. "They're an experienced team, they have been there before and every time we play them it seems to be an intense rivalry.

"They execute so well and they manage the puck so well. Even when they're dumping it in or chipping it in they're putting it in spot where they can get it back."

The Wings, who will have home-ice advantage in the series, outscored (23-20) and outshot (216-195) the Hawks in the regular season and were especially adept on the power play with eight goals in 24 opportunities (33.3 percent).

Jiri Hudler did the most damage with four goals and five assists in six games while Johan Franzen and Pavel Datsyuk each scored three times. Marian Hossa and Henrik Zetterberg each added two goals and four assists.

Chris Osgood, who has handled goaltending duties in all 11 of the Wings' postseason games, played against the Hawks just once, falling 3-0 in the regular-season finale.

After losing the first four games to Detroit (two in shootouts), the Hawks' triumphs in the final two contests gave them confidence against the defending champions.

"We did good things against them all year," said Hawks defenseman Brian Campbell, who had seven assists against the Wings. "We just had some mishaps here and there that really killed us. We can take some confidence from the whole year against them and especially the last two games."

The series should be one of high-intensity with the rivalry between the teams reaching a fever pitch.

"You could tell when fans were chanting after our last game about Detroit it's something that's definitely in place," Quenneville said of the rivalry.

"A playoff series wouldn't take much to light that fire."

ckuc@tribune.com

---

An 'Original Six' matchup is, well, fantastic. LOTS of history, and lots of stories here.

So, Ladies & Gentlemen of GM Hockey Jury, make your picks...and pass your judgements...

Let's play hockey!!

Last edited by davetherave on Fri May 15, 2009 1:54 am; edited 1 time in total

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran
I think the Hawks in 7 its their resiliency that makes me not want to count them out that and when they need the grinders to help out they do (big buff with 2 goals in one game)

These matchups in the 2nd and 3rd round couldn't be more perfect!

I don't think it matters who Pit faces because either team would make for a great series, but the other 5 from rounds 2 and 3 are just picture perfect.

Round 2 didn't disappoint and I'm confident Chi-Det won't either!
Can't wait... Good luck to you and your boys DTR :___:

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star
cash wrote:These matchups in the 2nd and 3rd round couldn't be more perfect!

I don't think it matters who Pit faces because either team would make for a great series, but the other 5 from rounds 2 and 3 are just picture perfect.

Round 2 didn't disappoint and I'm confident Chi-Det won't either!
Can't wait... Good luck to you and your boys DTR :___:

Thanks Cash!

There are so MANY fascinating things about this matchup...and you are right...it couldn't be more perfect.

:D:

Last edited by davetherave on Fri May 15, 2009 1:44 am; edited 1 time in total

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star
DETROIT VS CHICAGO WESTERN CONFERENCE FINALS TV SCHEDULE:

Sunday, May 17at Detroit, 3:00 p.m.NBC, TSN, RDS
Tuesday, May 19at Detroit, 7:30 p.m.VERSUS, TSN, RDS
Friday, May 22at Chicago, 8:00 p.m.VERSUS, CBC, RDS
Sunday, May 24at Chicago, 3:00 p.m.NBC, CBC, RDS
* Wednesday, May 27at Detroit, 7:30 p.m.VERSUS, CBC, RDS
* Saturday, May 30at Chicago, 8:00 p.m.VERSUS, CBC, RDS
* Monday, June 1at Detroit, 7:30 p.m.VERSUS, CBC, RDS
- * denotes if necessary
- All Times are Eastern Standard Time

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
An Original Six match-up. This should be a very interesting series... one I'll certainly be watching more closely than the Eastern Final. Sorry DTR, but the Wings are gonna take this one... in 5. Oh yeah, I said in 5.

The clock has struck midnight... time for Cinderella to go home...

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star
shabbs wrote:An Original Six match-up. This should be a very interesting series... one I'll certainly be watching more closely than the Eastern Final. Sorry DTR, but the Wings are gonna take this one... in 5. Oh yeah, I said in 5.

The clock has struck midnight... time for Cinderella to go home...

Shabbs...why are you apologizing?

As for your predictions record...well, don't want to embarass yourself anymore than you already have, eh...

Wink

Hawks are happy...for many reasons...and just enjoyin' the ride...

SCP '09 ROUND 3, WEST CONFERENCE FINAL: DETROIT RED WINGS VS. CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS Icecre15

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
davetherave wrote:As for your predictions record...well, don't want to embarass yourself anymore than you already have, eh...
Glass house man, glass house... heh heh.

beedub

beedub
Veteran
Veteran
While I favoured the Hawks over the Canucks, I feel their season will be coming to an end in about 6 games.

Detroit is just that good.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star
shabbs wrote:
davetherave wrote:As for your predictions record...well, don't want to embarass yourself anymore than you already have, eh...

Glass house? My predictions in the playoff brackets have me in the top three, bro.

Besides, 'my' team's still playing...where are yours...all of them, I mean, eh...
Wink

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
davetherave wrote:
shabbs wrote:

Glass house? My predictions in the playoff brackets have me in the top three, bro.

Besides, 'my' team's still playing...where are yours...all of them, I mean, eh...
Wink
Not for long...

Wink

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star
shabbs wrote:
davetherave wrote:
shabbs wrote:

Wink
Not for long...

Wink

Boy, Shabbs, you ARE getting desperate... Wink must be the shock from seeing all your picks go up in smoke, eh...

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
davetherave wrote:
shabbs wrote:
davetherave wrote:
shabbs wrote:

Wink
Not for long...

Wink

Boy, Shabbs, you ARE getting desperate... Wink must be the shock from seeing all your picks go up in smoke, eh...
I'll have to check back on my picks to see how they were...

EDIT: Eek. My 2nd round predictions were horrible.. I went 0-4.

Crying

Last edited by shabbs on Fri May 15, 2009 9:12 am; edited 1 time in total

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
I chose the Hawks as a matter of preference. In a perfect world, both Anaheim and Detroit would have been bounced in round 1, but I had to suffer through seeing the two teams I dislike the most until now. Go away, Detroit.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star
Separating myth from reality in this series for 'pundits' and fans is going to be interesting.

First off, who expected the Blackhawks to be here?

How about...NOBODY...except people who KNOW this team.

So...whatever the Hawks achieve...is a net bonus. They have made themselves, their organization, the Black Hawks legends, and their stalwart, loyal, long suffering fans, proud.

A great ride...and not over yet.

OK...about the series.

Many, many factors to consider...but this has the potential to go seven, and go either way. I've watched both of these teams assiduously throughout the year, and there is no doubt in my mind about that.

May the best team win.

And what truly great teams they are...

Both teams have reached into their rich legacies to create a Championship culture that inspires the players.

They know, once a Stanley Cup Champion, always a Champion. The spirit of Champions keeps you hungry...and humble.

The members of this year's teams look back at the achievements of those who have come before them...and they know that to be a Blackhawk or a Red Wing, is more than special.

As the cliche goes, but oh so true--they play for the symbol on the front of the jersey, not the name and number on the back.

I believe, as many do, that Detroit has the finest system-oriented team in the NHL. They ARE the benchmark for organizational excellence, and the integration of their talent into a superbly efficient hockey machine is unparalleled.

The Blackhawks, thanks to the vision and diligence of Dale Tallon--and the support and efforts of the entire Hawks executive--have looked at Detroit (and Anaheim, by the way) as that benchmark and said: "What do we need to do--and need to be--to beat the best of the best?"

The answer is a team as skilled as Detroit, and as physical as Anaheim.

And let's be honest...the Wings only just pulled it out in the battle against the Ducks.

If one looks objectively at each team, the matchups at each position, and the key factors, lead to a logical conclusion that this will be an excellent and very competitive series.

The Master Meets The Student? An interesting metaphor, and not inappropriate.

The Old Guard Vs The New Wave? Could be.

The Wings have experience and discipline on their side...the Hawks have the strength and boldness of youth.

Each team has its weaknesses, and the ability to exploit and capitalize on those weaknesses will determine the outcome.

Even the most diehard, blood red Wings fan will admit that. They are talking about the Hawks on their message boards right now...and they know Chicago is an underdog that must be taken seriously.

The usual bluster notwithstanding...and it will come from both camps. After all, these teams go back to 1926 together.

Probably the greatest rivalry in the NHL...ever.

And there are interesting parallels between this series...and the Wings-Hawks Cup Final in '61...

Intangibles? You got 'em.

Wings fans like to talk about how Detroit has the ability to 'raise its game'.

And we have seen that the Chicago Blackhawks--in their end of season push, home and home victories over the Wings, and dramatic, gruelling series against Calgary and Vancouver, arguably the toughest opposition in the West--have also found the way to raise their game.

Scotty Bowman is another element that favours the Blackhawks. Scotty knows more about winning Stanley Cups than any coach in NHL history. He sees the game in a way that is extraordinary.

He knows the Wings. He helped build them.

And now he's helping to build the Blackhawks.

If the Hawks can steal the Wings' lunch at the Joe on Sunday... cool) it all gets VERY interesting.

Here Come The Hawks.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 10]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum