GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GM Hockey » All things PLAYOFFS! » SCP '09 ROUND 3, EAST CONFERENCE FINAL: PITTSBURGH PENGUINS VS. CAROLINA HURRICANES

SCP '09 ROUND 3, EAST CONFERENCE FINAL: PITTSBURGH PENGUINS VS. CAROLINA HURRICANES

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

PENS VS CANES SCP EAST FINAL '09: WHO WINS? HOW MANY GAMES?

SCP '09 ROUND 3, EAST CONFERENCE FINAL: PITTSBURGH PENGUINS VS. CAROLINA HURRICANES - Page 2 Vote_lcap20%SCP '09 ROUND 3, EAST CONFERENCE FINAL: PITTSBURGH PENGUINS VS. CAROLINA HURRICANES - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
SCP '09 ROUND 3, EAST CONFERENCE FINAL: PITTSBURGH PENGUINS VS. CAROLINA HURRICANES - Page 2 Vote_lcap20%SCP '09 ROUND 3, EAST CONFERENCE FINAL: PITTSBURGH PENGUINS VS. CAROLINA HURRICANES - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
SCP '09 ROUND 3, EAST CONFERENCE FINAL: PITTSBURGH PENGUINS VS. CAROLINA HURRICANES - Page 2 Vote_lcap28%SCP '09 ROUND 3, EAST CONFERENCE FINAL: PITTSBURGH PENGUINS VS. CAROLINA HURRICANES - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 8% [ 1 ]
SCP '09 ROUND 3, EAST CONFERENCE FINAL: PITTSBURGH PENGUINS VS. CAROLINA HURRICANES - Page 2 Vote_lcap242%SCP '09 ROUND 3, EAST CONFERENCE FINAL: PITTSBURGH PENGUINS VS. CAROLINA HURRICANES - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 42% [ 5 ]
SCP '09 ROUND 3, EAST CONFERENCE FINAL: PITTSBURGH PENGUINS VS. CAROLINA HURRICANES - Page 2 Vote_lcap28%SCP '09 ROUND 3, EAST CONFERENCE FINAL: PITTSBURGH PENGUINS VS. CAROLINA HURRICANES - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 8% [ 1 ]
SCP '09 ROUND 3, EAST CONFERENCE FINAL: PITTSBURGH PENGUINS VS. CAROLINA HURRICANES - Page 2 Vote_lcap233%SCP '09 ROUND 3, EAST CONFERENCE FINAL: PITTSBURGH PENGUINS VS. CAROLINA HURRICANES - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 33% [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 12

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 5]

asq2

All-Star
All-Star
Go Canes!

davetherave

All-Star
All-Star
Ron Francis...former Whaler, former Penguin and former Captain of the Canes....hopes to hold the Prince of Wales trophy with Rod Brind'amour again...

SCP '09 ROUND 3, EAST CONFERENCE FINAL: PITTSBURGH PENGUINS VS. CAROLINA HURRICANES - Page 2 Brinda10

davetherave

All-Star
All-Star
Interesting pieces of playoff trivia... Smile

Penguins Coach Dan Bylsma played right wing for the Anaheim Mighty Ducks in the 2001-02 season, his second of what would be four with the club.

That team also featured Matt Cullen, now with the Hurricanes, and Samuel Pahlsson, now with the Blackhawks.

PS in terms of Ottawa content, Jason York of Team 1200 Sports Radio's "Healthy Scratches" played defense; and Bryan Murray was the coach. The Mighty Ducks finished that year, last in the Pacific Division with a 29-42-8 (and 3 OTLs) record for 69 points, and missed the playoffs.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Yikes. Not a great sounding team. They went to the Cup Finals not long after that though surprisingly enough.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star
504Heater wrote:Yikes. Not a great sounding team. They went to the Cup Finals not long after that though surprisingly enough.

The following year in fact, under Mike Babc0ck, now coach of the Red Wings. Bylsma played on that Mighty Ducks team as well (along with Cullen and Pahlsson).

More playoff trivia... Smile Petr Sykora, who played on that team with Bylsma, now plays for him.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Scott Walker's wife has been diagnosed with cervical cancer. It was detected early and considered treatable. She's expecting to make a full recovery. Wishing her and Scott all the best (even though I'm picking the Pens).
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=278921

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran
i hoping the canes win i am going to say they take it in 6

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star
wprager wrote:Scott Walker's wife has been diagnosed with cervical cancer. It was detected early and considered treatable. She's expecting to make a full recovery. Wishing her and Scott all the best (even though I'm picking the Pens).
[url=http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=278921
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=278921[/quote[/url]]

Thanks for this Prags, and I expect all of our GMHockey members will echo those best wishes to Scott Walker and his wife.

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran
ward is going to have to be as good as he has been to stop the pens high powered offense...Ward has never lost a playoff series....and it bodes well for the canes that i dont think the pens have quite the player (like chara) who can shut down staal

Well the Canes dont have a player like Green who can.... I give the Canes the edge.

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran
canes have a better team defense IMHO than the pens they were able to shut down a lot of the bruins players for games

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Canes have the edge in goal. Pens have the edge in Sid. It should be very, very close. I give a slight edge to Pittsburgh, as I suspect playing against the Bruins was a little tougher on the body.

Hockeyhero22000 wrote:canes have a better team defense IMHO than the pens they were able to shut down a lot of the bruins players for games

Valid point, but the Bruins don't have anyone up front with the skill of Malkin and Crosby. Crosby has been absolutely clutch so far in these playoffs. If that continues, and Malkin does what he can do, I don't see Staal and the rest of the Canes keeping up. Ward will absolutely have to steal this series if the Canes cannot contain the Pens big 2.

Pens in 6.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
hemlock wrote:
Hockeyhero22000 wrote:canes have a better team defense IMHO than the pens they were able to shut down a lot of the bruins players for games

Valid point, but the Bruins don't have anyone up front with the skill of Malkin and Crosby. Crosby has been absolutely clutch so far in these playoffs. If that continues, and Malkin does what he can do, I don't see Staal and the rest of the Canes keeping up. Ward will absolutely have to steal this series if the Canes cannot contain the Pens big 2.

Pens in 6.

Wow, Pens in 6 is a pretty strong statement. True about the Pittsburgh forwards, or at least in the play offs. In the regular season, Boston had no trouble at all scoring in the regular season, they were 2nd in the league behind Detroit. But while Pittsburgh cranked it up a bit (from 3.15 to 3.46 G/G) Boston actually dropped (from 3.29 to 3.09 G/G).

The thing that worries me is this. Carolina was scoring almost 3/4 of a goal less, and giving up a third of a goal more per game than Boston did during the playoffs so far, yet here they are, in the third round. Pittsburgh can certainly outscore them, but their goals allowed is nearly a point higher (2.92 versus 2.0) than Boston. And with the lower seeding, on average, you'd have to say that Carolina has faced better competition.

Bottom line, I still picked Pittsburgh, so we're on the same page there. However I went with 7 games and, frankly, would feel much better about my decision if Gonchar was 100%. I can only hope that Staal is a bit worn out from his play-time with Chara. He certainly looked like he'd lost a few pounds in the post-game handshakes.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star
Cam Ward Vs Marc Andre Fleury.

Wouldn't be surprised if this goes seven, but then, predictions are like bathroom tissue.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
davetherave wrote:Cam Ward Vs Marc Andre Fleury.

Wouldn't be surprised if this goes seven, but then, predictions are like bathroom tissue.

That's a new one for me. How, exactly? As in they are ultimately disposable?

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star
wprager wrote:
davetherave wrote:Cam Ward Vs Marc Andre Fleury.

That's a new one for me. How, exactly? As in they are ultimately disposable?

You got it :___:

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star
One of the interesting strategic aspects of playoff hockey is how coaches study their opponents based on their performances in that year's previous rounds.

Just as Maurice and Francis can be expected to formulate a specific approach to counter Crosby, Malkin and company, one can expect Dan Bylsma and his staff are looking very carefully at how the Canes upset the Devils and Bruins.

IMHO in some ways, the Hurricanes could be the Pens' most dangeous rival yet.

Besides Eric Staal, there's really no ONE player to key on, as the Canes' scoring has been balanced, often coming from unexpected sources.

The Hurricanes will also probably work on mounting more sustained pressure than the Caps did. They don't have the pure talent of Washington, so rely on effort and a committment to team defense...a shortcoming that ultimately exposed the Capitals.

Cam Ward has demonstrated he is far, far better than either goalie Pittsburgh has faced in the playoffs this year.

I selected the Penguins in seven for my 'brackets' pick, but another 'upset' here for Carolina wouldn't shock me.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum