Classic Rock Magazine Names Top Progressive Rock Albums

    Share

    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

    Number of posts : 31416
    Registration date : 2008-08-12

    Re: Classic Rock Magazine Names Top Progressive Rock Albums

    Post by shabbs on Thu May 21, 2009 3:14 pm

    504Heater wrote:
    shabbs wrote:Well, when I think of "rock" I certainly don't think of Prog Rock as described here... I think of the following:

    http://classicrock.about.com/od/recommendationsandreviews/a/top100_bands.htm

    Classic Rock...

    cool)

    Delicious. I might argue with the rankings of some of the bands, but a pretty fine diddling list. cool)
    Great list. Really sums up rock in a nutshell as far as I'm concerned.

    I also find it funny that "Boston" appears right before "Cream".

    Boston Cream.

    Heh heh.

    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 24763
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

    Re: Classic Rock Magazine Names Top Progressive Rock Albums

    Post by SeawaySensFan on Thu May 21, 2009 3:15 pm

    504Heater wrote:
    SeawaySensFan wrote:French-canadian group. I thought they were more folk than anything. After further reading, I see they turned into a pretty special prog group. Neat.

    Hmmm...I'll have to check one of their discs out. It figures that the best Canadian Prog comes out of Quebec - they're the best at recognizing and celebrating prog bands like Genesis and Floyd before they were huge.

    This is true. CHOM was a big booster of the prog.

    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

    Number of posts : 54285
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

    Re: Classic Rock Magazine Names Top Progressive Rock Albums

    Post by PTFlea on Thu May 21, 2009 3:21 pm

    If anyone wants to know what Prog Rock actually looks and sounds like, this would be it:




    avatar
    SensGirl11
    Mod
    Mod

    Number of posts : 5050
    Age : 36
    Location : GO SENS!
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-13

    Re: Classic Rock Magazine Names Top Progressive Rock Albums

    Post by SensGirl11 on Thu May 21, 2009 3:45 pm

    shabbs wrote:Well, when I think of "rock" I certainly don't think of Prog Rock as described here... I think of the following:

    http://classicrock.about.com/od/recommendationsandreviews/a/top100_bands.htm

    Classic Rock...

    cool)


    Maybe I'm too young, but there are only about 4 albums there that I'd buy.
    avatar
    SensGirl11
    Mod
    Mod

    Number of posts : 5050
    Age : 36
    Location : GO SENS!
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-13

    Re: Classic Rock Magazine Names Top Progressive Rock Albums

    Post by SensGirl11 on Thu May 21, 2009 3:48 pm

    I am very curious about the Revolver album though...is it really that good? I can't stand listening to the regular Beatles bubble gum pop stuff...is it like that or more alternative?
    avatar
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 24763
    Age : 45
    Location : Cornwall, ON
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

    Re: Classic Rock Magazine Names Top Progressive Rock Albums

    Post by SeawaySensFan on Thu May 21, 2009 4:03 pm

    SensGirl11 wrote:I am very curious about the Revolver album though...is it really that good? I can't stand listening to the regular Beatles bubble gum pop stuff...is it like that or more alternative?

    Revolver covers a lot of styles all in one album. Many consider the White Album to be their best. They are just so good that you'd be hard pressed to pick a favourite or categorically identify their best material.
    avatar
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

    Number of posts : 31416
    Location : I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-12

    Re: Classic Rock Magazine Names Top Progressive Rock Albums

    Post by shabbs on Thu May 21, 2009 4:45 pm

    SeawaySensFan wrote:
    SensGirl11 wrote:I am very curious about the Revolver album though...is it really that good? I can't stand listening to the regular Beatles bubble gum pop stuff...is it like that or more alternative?

    Revolver covers a lot of styles all in one album. Many consider the White Album to be their best. They are just so good that you'd be hard pressed to pick a favourite or categorically identify their best material.
    Indeed. Sgt. Pepper's is also a favourite of mine...
    avatar
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 24763
    Age : 45
    Location : Cornwall, ON
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

    Re: Classic Rock Magazine Names Top Progressive Rock Albums

    Post by SeawaySensFan on Thu May 21, 2009 4:46 pm

    shabbs wrote:
    SeawaySensFan wrote:
    SensGirl11 wrote:I am very curious about the Revolver album though...is it really that good? I can't stand listening to the regular Beatles bubble gum pop stuff...is it like that or more alternative?

    Revolver covers a lot of styles all in one album. Many consider the White Album to be their best. They are just so good that you'd be hard pressed to pick a favourite or categorically identify their best material.
    Indeed. Sgt. Pepper's is also a favourite of mine...

    I'm looking forward to The Beatles:RockBand! That will be sweet.
    avatar
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

    Number of posts : 31416
    Location : I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-12

    Re: Classic Rock Magazine Names Top Progressive Rock Albums

    Post by shabbs on Thu May 21, 2009 6:43 pm

    SeawaySensFan wrote:
    shabbs wrote:
    SeawaySensFan wrote:
    SensGirl11 wrote:I am very curious about the Revolver album though...is it really that good? I can't stand listening to the regular Beatles bubble gum pop stuff...is it like that or more alternative?

    Revolver covers a lot of styles all in one album. Many consider the White Album to be their best. They are just so good that you'd be hard pressed to pick a favourite or categorically identify their best material.
    Indeed. Sgt. Pepper's is also a favourite of mine...

    I'm looking forward to The Beatles:RockBand! That will be sweet.
    Had not heard of that until now... interesting.

    robertdean
    Prospect
    Prospect

    Number of posts : 3
    Favorite Team : Los Angeles
    Registration date : 2009-05-08

    Re: Classic Rock Magazine Names Top Progressive Rock Albums

    Post by robertdean on Thu May 21, 2009 7:38 pm

    Led Zepplin, Pink Floyd, ZZ Top, Cream, ELP, Yes, Steely Dan, Rush, Santana, Clapton, Just to name a few

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: Classic Rock Magazine Names Top Progressive Rock Albums

    Post by Guest on Thu May 21, 2009 7:51 pm

    Rush is probably my favourite rock band of all time( i usually listen to country). Neil Peart is one of the greatest writers in history.
    avatar
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 24763
    Age : 45
    Location : Cornwall, ON
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

    Re: Classic Rock Magazine Names Top Progressive Rock Albums

    Post by SeawaySensFan on Fri May 22, 2009 9:49 am

    shabbs wrote:
    SeawaySensFan wrote:
    shabbs wrote:
    SeawaySensFan wrote:
    SensGirl11 wrote:I am very curious about the Revolver album though...is it really that good? I can't stand listening to the regular Beatles bubble gum pop stuff...is it like that or more alternative?

    Revolver covers a lot of styles all in one album. Many consider the White Album to be their best. They are just so good that you'd be hard pressed to pick a favourite or categorically identify their best material.
    Indeed. Sgt. Pepper's is also a favourite of mine...

    I'm looking forward to The Beatles:RockBand! That will be sweet.
    Had not heard of that until now... interesting.

    September 9. There are rumours of unreleased tracks being part of the game. New controllers include Paul's iconic Hfner bass.
    avatar
    SensGirl11
    Mod
    Mod

    Number of posts : 5050
    Age : 36
    Location : GO SENS!
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-13

    Re: Classic Rock Magazine Names Top Progressive Rock Albums

    Post by SensGirl11 on Fri May 22, 2009 10:01 am

    There's a Pearl Jam Rock Band coming out soon too, with about 35 songs! SWEET!
    avatar
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

    Number of posts : 31416
    Location : I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-12

    Re: Classic Rock Magazine Names Top Progressive Rock Albums

    Post by shabbs on Fri May 22, 2009 10:09 am

    SensGirl11 wrote:There's a Pearl Jam Rock Band coming out soon too, with about 35 songs! SWEET!
    Pearl Jam lost me when they released "No Code"... "Ten" and "Vs" were unbelievable albums... "Vitalogy" was interesting but they took a path that I didn't want to follow when they released "No Code" and lost me. Bands need to adjust and change over time, I get that, and U2 have done it very well, but for some reason, Peal Jam's adjustments didn't sit with me. It is what it is...
    avatar
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 24763
    Age : 45
    Location : Cornwall, ON
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

    Re: Classic Rock Magazine Names Top Progressive Rock Albums

    Post by SeawaySensFan on Fri May 22, 2009 10:11 am

    shabbs wrote:
    SensGirl11 wrote:There's a Pearl Jam Rock Band coming out soon too, with about 35 songs! SWEET!
    Pearl Jam lost me when they released "No Code"... "Ten" and "Vs" were unbelievable albums... "Vitalogy" was interesting but they took a path that I didn't want to follow when they released "No Code" and lost me. Bands need to adjust and change over time, I get that, and U2 have done it very well, but for some reason, Peal Jam's adjustments didn't sit with me. It is what it is...

    Exactly the same for me regarding Pearl Jam. Besides, the best song they ever cut was Crazy Mary which wasn't even on their album. They kicked Donkey playing Who songs on the MTV though.
    avatar
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

    Number of posts : 31416
    Location : I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-12

    Re: Classic Rock Magazine Names Top Progressive Rock Albums

    Post by shabbs on Fri May 22, 2009 10:23 am

    SeawaySensFan wrote:Besides, the best song they ever cut was Crazy Mary which wasn't even on their album.
    It can only be found on "Sweet Relief: A Benefit for Victoria Williams" IIRC.
    avatar
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 24763
    Age : 45
    Location : Cornwall, ON
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

    Re: Classic Rock Magazine Names Top Progressive Rock Albums

    Post by SeawaySensFan on Fri May 22, 2009 10:26 am

    shabbs wrote:
    SeawaySensFan wrote:Besides, the best song they ever cut was Crazy Mary which wasn't even on their album.
    It can only be found on "Sweet Relief: A Benefit for Victoria Williams" IIRC.

    Correct. I can't remember if I ever bought that one.
    avatar
    Snuh
    Rookie
    Rookie

    Number of posts : 293
    Age : 38
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-14

    Re: Classic Rock Magazine Names Top Progressive Rock Albums

    Post by Snuh on Fri May 22, 2009 10:43 am

    SeawaySensFan wrote:
    504Heater wrote:
    SeawaySensFan wrote:I can't argue with that list. Frankly, though, Chez106 has turned me off Pink Floyd for good.

    They play them too much you mean?

    I don't know how they fit in other music in between Pink Floyd and Tragically Hip.
    So yeah, too much.

    See Emily Play is still Pink Floyds best song.

    Piper at the Gates of Dawn, and, Saucer Full of Secrets are the only Floyd albums worth listening to, IMO. Dark Side of the Moon has to be the most overrated album ever. CHEZ has a lot to do with my dislike for that album, too. But in general, Pink Floyd without Syd Barrett is boring.

    Nice to see King Crimson get some recognition though. Kind of surprised the album Discipline wasn't in the top 10, but the album Red is Prog Rock through and through.

    Sponsored content

    Re: Classic Rock Magazine Names Top Progressive Rock Albums

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:59 pm