Emery loses in debut -- but you've got to see ...

    Share

    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 49350
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: Emery loses in debut -- but you've got to see ...

    Post by wprager on Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:10 pm

    furiousgreg wrote:
    wprager wrote:
    furiousgreg wrote:where did you see this??

    Crap, did I forget to post the link? Sorry.

    Here it is:
    [url=http://video.sportbox.ru/VidySporta/Hokkej/Kxl/2008-2009/v_20080902192500_spartakmoskvaatlantmoskovskajaob
    http://video.sportbox.ru/VidySporta/Hokkej/Kxl/2008-2009/v_20080902192500_spartakmoskvaatlantmoskovskajaob[/quote[/url]]

    AAAHHH yes.. i forgot to check out video.sportbox.ru... how silly of me :D

    Couldn't blame him for the OT goal -- they were shorthanded (4 on 3) and it was a beauty of a seeing-eye pass through a couple of pairs of legs to the guy perched at the corner of the crease. But it was not good hockey (I don't care *what* the announcers were saying, they are paid to talk it up). Sure, it was exciting (Atlant actually led 3-1 and 4-2, then fell behind 5-4 and tied it up with 1-1/2 minutes left in regulation), but it was not good hockey.

    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 49350
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: Emery loses in debut -- but you've got to see ...

    Post by wprager on Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:13 pm

    furiousgreg wrote:And wow... KHL fails...

    I followed a few links to look around and attendance at some games was as low as 1600. I think the total attendance after 16 games was something like 58K, which means that the 3200 at the Spartak game was pretty close to the league average.

    Any chance this league will fold before training camp and pre-season finishes up here?

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: Emery loses in debut -- but you've got to see ...

    Post by Guest on Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:13 pm

    [quote="wprager"]
    furiousgreg wrote:
    wprager wrote:
    furiousgreg wrote:where did you see this??

    Crap, did I forget to post the link? Sorry.

    Here it is:
    http://video.sportbox.ru/VidySporta/Hokkej/Kxl/2008-2009/v_20080902192500_spartakmoskvaatlantmoskovskajaob[/quote]

    AAAHHH yes.. i forgot to check out video.sportbox.ru... how silly of me :D

    Couldn't blame him for the OT goal -- they were shorthanded (4 on 3) and it was a beauty of a seeing-eye pass through a couple of pairs of legs to the guy perched at the corner of the crease. But it was not good hockey (I don't care *what* the announcers were saying, they are paid to talk it up). Sure, it was exciting (Atlant actually led 3-1 and 4-2, then fell behind 5-4 and tied it up with 1-1/2 minutes left in regulation), but it was not good hockey.

    Well no, you gotta expect that. 90% of the world's elite players play in the NHL.. so the league is mostly young europeans or 2nd tier players. But I'm sure Emery will be able to buy some more shoes with his pay cheques.
    avatar
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 49350
    Age : 56
    Location : Kanata
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: Emery loses in debut -- but you've got to see ...

    Post by wprager on Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:15 pm

    PKC wrote:
    wprager wrote:
    furiousgreg wrote:where did you see this??

    Crap, did I forget to post the link? Sorry.

    Here it is:
    http://video.sportbox.ru/VidySporta/Hokkej/Kxl/2008-2009/v_20080902192500_spartakmoskvaatlantmoskovskajaob

    Pardon my lack of education, but where do I click to see this video?

    I'm using Firefox and the above appears as a link for me. Perhaps IE has issues? If so, then copy the entire URL to the address bar (word-wrap splits it on two lines but you have to put both "halves" together).

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: Emery loses in debut -- but you've got to see ...

    Post by Guest on Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:18 pm

    wprager wrote:
    furiousgreg wrote:And wow... KHL fails...

    I followed a few links to look around and attendance at some games was as low as 1600. I think the total attendance after 16 games was something like 58K, which means that the 3200 at the Spartak game was pretty close to the league average.

    Any chance this league will fold before training camp and pre-season finishes up here?

    That's going to be an absurd money lose for the owners.. Especially with the salaries they're putting out... So great.. Then Radalov can kiss the Nhl's arse when he comes crawling back :D
    avatar
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 49350
    Age : 56
    Location : Kanata
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: Emery loses in debut -- but you've got to see ...

    Post by wprager on Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:20 pm

    furiousgreg wrote:
    Well no, you gotta expect that. 90% of the world's elite players play in the NHL.. so the league is mostly young europeans or 2nd tier players. But I'm sure Emery will be able to buy some more shoes with his pay cheques.

    Lyamin (one of the Sens' prospects) was playing for Spartak. I also recognized quite a few names as former NHL players. Many could probably find a job in the NHL, but not for the money (tax-free) they are making over there.

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: Emery loses in debut -- but you've got to see ...

    Post by Guest on Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:21 pm

    wprager wrote:
    furiousgreg wrote:
    Well no, you gotta expect that. 90% of the world's elite players play in the NHL.. so the league is mostly young europeans or 2nd tier players. But I'm sure Emery will be able to buy some more shoes with his pay cheques.

    Lyamin (one of the Sens' prospects) was playing for Spartak. I also recognized quite a few names as former NHL players. Many could probably find a job in the NHL, but not for the money (tax-free) they are making over there.

    Yea... yea i know.. i'm just bitter :x
    avatar
    PKC
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 5817
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-12

    Re: Emery loses in debut -- but you've got to see ...

    Post by PKC on Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:29 pm

    I feel like a word that doesn't even exist in the English language after watching that clip. Why was that spartan dude flying? When did a Spartan EVER fly that they would feel compelled to put him on wires and float him about? I'm slightly mystified, partially confused, and fractionally upset that I just watched that.

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: Emery loses in debut -- but you've got to see ...

    Post by Guest on Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:31 pm

    PKC wrote:I feel like a word that doesn't even exist in the English language after watching that clip. Why was that spartan dude flying? When did a Spartan EVER fly that they would feel compelled to put him on wires and float him about? I'm slightly mystified, partially confused, and fractionally upset that I just watched that.

    Oh those russians and their wacky imagination :D
    avatar
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 49350
    Age : 56
    Location : Kanata
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: Emery loses in debut -- but you've got to see ...

    Post by wprager on Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:56 pm

    furiousgreg wrote:
    Oh those russians and their wacky imagination :D

    Remember Ice Age 2? In the end, when Scrat dies and goes to Acorn Heaven there is this almost eerie melody playing. That's actually a theme from the Spartacus ballet written by Khachaturian -- a Soviet-Armenian composer from Tbilisi, Georgia.

    A ballet. About a Gladiator turned rebel leader. Yeah, those Russians have some kind of imagination.

    Mind you, if they suspended a guy in a "Scrat" costume from the ceiling and played that theme music, I'd actually be OK with that. I'd laugh freely, rather than having that Eww feeling you get from watching some episodes of The Office.
    avatar
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 49350
    Age : 56
    Location : Kanata
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: Emery loses in debut -- but you've got to see ...

    Post by wprager on Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:00 pm

    Sorry, couldn't resist:

    avatar
    PKC
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 5817
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-12

    Re: Emery loses in debut -- but you've got to see ...

    Post by PKC on Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:04 pm

    wprager wrote:Sorry, couldn't resist:


    Is it ok to not understand ballet? I mean I appreciate other forms of art: musicals, plays, operas, concerts, etc....but ballet, I just don't get it. Why does that girl have to walk on the tip of her toes? I mean, that Dung hurts for sure. I don't even understand the interpretations they make of the music. You know what? Diddle ballet for making my feel ignorant. Alright? Diddle IT!
    avatar
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 49350
    Age : 56
    Location : Kanata
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: Emery loses in debut -- but you've got to see ...

    Post by wprager on Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:12 pm

    PKC wrote:
    wprager wrote:Sorry, couldn't resist:


    Is it ok to not understand ballet? I mean I appreciate other forms of art: musicals, plays, operas, concerts, etc....but ballet, I just don't get it. Why does that girl have to walk on the tip of her toes? I mean, that Dung hurts for sure. I don't even understand the interpretations they make of the music. You know what? Diddle ballet for making my feel ignorant. Alright? Diddle IT!

    Well, I'm Russian so ballet is kinda in my blood. For the record, though, I have ever only seen The Nutcracker (once around Christmas, with my wife). That's the closest I'd come to seeing ballet live (The Nutcracker is, technically, a ballet, but it's like the more traditional/classical stuff like Swan Lake). It was just like going to see The Phantom (which I've done twice but, again, that's the limit of my exposure to "Broadway") but without the singing. I love live music, so I enjoyed it. Generally, though, I usually enjoy excellenece in most endeavors.

    Do I have to forfeit my membership now?
    avatar
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

    Number of posts : 55270
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

    Re: Emery loses in debut -- but you've got to see ...

    Post by PTFlea on Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:14 pm

    LOL. So far there's been a gay cat running around and then what looked like the intro to Star Wars - in a foreign language...
    avatar
    PKC
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 5817
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-12

    Re: Emery loses in debut -- but you've got to see ...

    Post by PKC on Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:22 pm

    wprager wrote:

    Well, I'm Russian so ballet is kinda in my blood. For the record, though, I have ever only seen The Nutcracker (once around Christmas, with my wife). That's the closest I'd come to seeing ballet live (The Nutcracker is, technically, a ballet, but it's like the more traditional/classical stuff like Swan Lake). It was just like going to see The Phantom (which I've done twice but, again, that's the limit of my exposure to "Broadway") but without the singing. I love live music, so I enjoyed it. Generally, though, I usually enjoy excellenece in most endeavors.

    Do I have to forfeit my membership now?

    My favorite musical. I've seen it twice live, I've watched all the movie versions they've made, and I know almost all of the songs by heart. Such brilliant writing and singing. When it was in town, I was ecstatic.
    avatar
    Acrobat
    Veteran
    Veteran

    Number of posts : 1565
    Age : 49
    Location : out to lunch...
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-06

    Re: Emery loses in debut -- but you've got to see ...

    Post by Acrobat on Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:32 pm

    PKC wrote:
    wprager wrote:

    Well, I'm Russian so ballet is kinda in my blood. For the record, though, I have ever only seen The Nutcracker (once around Christmas, with my wife). That's the closest I'd come to seeing ballet live (The Nutcracker is, technically, a ballet, but it's like the more traditional/classical stuff like Swan Lake). It was just like going to see The Phantom (which I've done twice but, again, that's the limit of my exposure to "Broadway") but without the singing. I love live music, so I enjoyed it. Generally, though, I usually enjoy excellenece in most endeavors.

    Do I have to forfeit my membership now?

    My favorite musical. I've seen it twice live, I've watched all the movie versions they've made, and I know almost all of the songs by heart. Such brilliant writing and singing. When it was in town, I was ecstatic.

    Several years ago, I had a chance to go see it.
    I gave up my ticket so I could go see U2 instead. (I've never missed a tour)
    The ticket was with my then girlfriend, now wife, and her parents, thus my future in-laws.

    Probably not the smartest move from a tactical standpoint. Although I must admit the concert was amazing.

    I still hear about it, though.

    Now she won't let me go see The Phantom. Ever. The last time it came to Ottawa, she went with her sister.

    🇳🇴
    avatar
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

    Number of posts : 55270
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

    Re: Emery loses in debut -- but you've got to see ...

    Post by PTFlea on Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:34 pm

    I was watching the wrong clip. Hezus, the other one is bad too. The Spartan dude was just wretched. Why would you hang a guy up on string like a Spartan Fairy. Very strange.

    Never got to a flying cat though.
    avatar
    PKC
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 5817
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-12

    Re: Emery loses in debut -- but you've got to see ...

    Post by PKC on Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:37 pm

    Acrobat wrote:
    PKC wrote:
    wprager wrote:

    Well, I'm Russian so ballet is kinda in my blood. For the record, though, I have ever only seen The Nutcracker (once around Christmas, with my wife). That's the closest I'd come to seeing ballet live (The Nutcracker is, technically, a ballet, but it's like the more traditional/classical stuff like Swan Lake). It was just like going to see The Phantom (which I've done twice but, again, that's the limit of my exposure to "Broadway") but without the singing. I love live music, so I enjoyed it. Generally, though, I usually enjoy excellenece in most endeavors.

    Do I have to forfeit my membership now?

    My favorite musical. I've seen it twice live, I've watched all the movie versions they've made, and I know almost all of the songs by heart. Such brilliant writing and singing. When it was in town, I was ecstatic.

    Several years ago, I had a chance to go see it.
    I gave up my ticket so I could go see U2 instead. (I've never missed a tour)
    The ticket was with my then girlfriend, now wife, and her parents, thus my future in-laws.

    Probably not the smartest move from a tactical standpoint. Although I must admit the concert was amazing.

    I still hear about it, though.

    Now she won't let me go see The Phantom. Ever. The last time it came to Ottawa, she went with her sister.

    🇳🇴

    What a grave error you've made. Sure U2 is great, but they aren't as powerful as watching a live performance of The Phantom in my opinion.

    Sponsored content

    Re: Emery loses in debut -- but you've got to see ...

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:32 am