UPDATE: Return of the Quebec Nordiques? "Possible", say RDS, Corus Sports, other sources

Poll

Should The Nordiques Come Back?

[ 22 ]
    38% [38%] 
    [ 20 ]
    34% [34%] 
    [ 15 ]
    26% [26%] 
    [ 1 ]
    2% [2%] 
    [ 0 ]
    0% [0%] 
    [ 0 ]
    0% [0%] 

Total Votes: 58
    davetherave
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 6803
    Favorite Team : Chicago
    Registration date : 2009-01-22

UPDATE: Return of the Quebec Nordiques? "Possible", say RDS, Corus Sports, other sources

Post by davetherave on Fri May 29, 2009 8:49 am

In all the talk about returning NHL franchises to Canada, there is serious movement afoot to revive the Nordiques in Quebec.

Some time ago I posted some news about this, based on an interview by respected Montreal sports analyst Yvon Pedneault (Corus Sports, Hockey Night In Canada) conducted with a former member of the Nordiques organization. The suggestion was that the Nordiques are coming back, and as the interviewee said, "Sooner than you think."

Today, RDS reports that movement is gaining in strength in its article "Quebec Met Des Sieges En Vente" (Quebec starts selling seats).

http://www.rds.ca/hockey/chroniques/275521.html

Led by local businessman Mario Bedard and a Quebec-based group of investors, the push in on to sell advance seats and corporate suites to raise money to bring Le Colisee up to NHL standards. They have reportedly already sold 1500 seats priced from $1500 to $3000, and 63 of the available 70 suites.

The recent declarations of KHL chairman and Gazprom executive Aleksandr Medvedev that, in effect, Quebec City "should" have a team, in addition to Medvedev suggestions he is ready to but an NHL franchise, makes this situation all the more intriguing.

The Goverment of Quebec has already offered money to assist investors who want to buy Le Canadien, so Les Nordiques will most certainly shoot to the top of their agenda.

Would they facilitate a joint venture with Gazprom, the KHL and the Russian Government? Not out of the question.

From a marketing perspective, a revival of the Nordiques-Canadiens rivalry means big TV ratings--and potentially big dollars--in a hockey-mad environment.

There are reasons for the NHL to welcome this development. The Bedard Group has already had exploratory discussions with former Nordiques like Michel Goulet who is now part of the Colorado Avalanche executive team, so this group is clearly ready to play 'by the rules'.

If the league were to get behind the initiative, they could not only confound their critics accusing them of being 'anti-Canada', but might also have a way to thwart the threat of an anti-trust lawsuit by Jim Balsillie.

With a number of franchises potentially available--the Atlanta Thrashers being just one of those spoken of as being moveable--the return of Les Nordiques may be more than just a dream.

Your thoughts? Can it happen? Would you like to see it happen?

Last edited by davetherave on Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:12 pm; edited 3 times in total
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Number of posts : 31416
    Location : I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-12

Re: UPDATE: Return of the Quebec Nordiques? "Possible", say RDS, Corus Sports, other sources

Post by shabbs on Fri May 29, 2009 8:57 am

Make it so. Winnipeg, Quebec City, Hamilton and hell, Halifax... make it all happen.

NOW!
    Cap'n Clutch
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 13564
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Re: UPDATE: Return of the Quebec Nordiques? "Possible", say RDS, Corus Sports, other sources

Post by Cap'n Clutch on Fri May 29, 2009 8:59 am

I'd love to see it happen if it's a sustainable model. I don't know if we'll see teams move from the States to Canada. I really hope I'm wrong but I have the distinct impression that the only chance Canada has of getting a franchise is through expansion. This could be achieved as long as Atlanta, Phoenix and Florida move to Kansas, Las Vegas and ??. Once that has transpired then they can think about bids for expansion in Winnipeg, Quebec, Southern Ontario with two of them winning a team.

- Unknown Author
    Cap'n Clutch
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 13564
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by Cap'n Clutch on Fri May 29, 2009 9:05 am

I voted the NHL needs this team and the rivalry was great. Thanks DTR for allowing multiple choice on this one.

- Unknown Author
    Number Twenty Nine
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 1680
    Favorite Team : Dallas
    Registration date : 2008-08-06

Post by Number Twenty Nine on Fri May 29, 2009 10:18 am

the Diques were my fave team until they were moved.....
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 47497
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by wprager on Fri May 29, 2009 10:31 am

We (in Habs land) called them the Dicks cool) .

Quebec City has no major sports -- no football, soccer, baseball or basketball. The Remparts are, pretty much, it. It makes sense that in such a market, especially given the history of hockey in Quebec, that they have the size to support an NHL franchise. Like I said in another thread, could this be why Roy turned down the Avalanche?

Post by Guest on Fri May 29, 2009 10:40 am

This would be AWESOME, loved the Candiens/Diques, Diques/Bruins Playoff Series... epic contests...

SensFan71
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 5649
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

Post by SensFan71 on Fri May 29, 2009 10:57 am

yes the NHL does need the Diques, the greatest reason being those Battle of Quebec playoff rivalries, but another part of it being the more Canadian cities, the better, starting first with Winnipeg and Quebec.
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 24736

Post by SeawaySensFan on Fri May 29, 2009 11:38 am

Obviously, I chose option number 2.

I just feel sorry for the poor bastards in Canadian cities that were led to believe they had a shot at teams as part of Bettmans little game with Balisillie. No amount of money, fan support and/or corporate support will bring additional teams to Canada.

If Bettman were a member of this forum, he would have checked No--let dead franchises stay dead, unless we're talking about Minnesota, Kansas City, Denver and Atlanta, of course.

SensFan71
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 5649

Post by SensFan71 on Fri May 29, 2009 11:52 am

SeawaySensFan wrote:Obviously, I chose option number 2.

I just feel sorry for the poor bastards in Canadian cities that were led to believe they had a shot at teams as part of Bettmans little game with Balisillie. No amount of money, fan support and/or corporate support will bring additional teams to Canada.

If Bettman were a member of this forum, he would have checked No--let dead franchises stay dead, unless we're talking about Minnesota, Kansas City, Denver and Atlanta, of course.

ah Screw Bettman and this horse -> :p: he rode in on, hope it turds on his head.
    caissie_1
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 1579
    Registration date : 2009-01-27

Post by caissie_1 on Fri May 29, 2009 2:01 pm

I would love to see the Nordiques back... Another team closer to home. Would make it even easier to go and watch sens games.

Post by Guest on Fri May 29, 2009 3:21 pm

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 47497
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by wprager on Fri May 29, 2009 3:36 pm

Where'd you get that Tuk?

Also, your current avatar (Willie) -- is there really a mustache there, somewhere?
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Number of posts : 31416
    Location : I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.
    Registration date : 2008-08-12

Post by shabbs on Fri May 29, 2009 3:36 pm

I liked their logo...

Sweet.

Post by Guest on Fri May 29, 2009 3:40 pm

wprager wrote:Where'd you get that Tuk?

Also, your current avatar (Willie) -- is there really a mustache there, somewhere?

It was going to be their new jersey the year they left.

yes, there's a stach somewhere. Sarcasm

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:15 pm