You are not connected. Please login or register

GAME DAY: SCP '09, SUNDAY MAY 31, STANLEY CUP FINAL--PITTSBURGH AT DETROIT, 800 PM ET

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 4]

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Acrobat wrote:
shabbs wrote:
Acrobat wrote:Two career playoff goals - one SCF game winner, and this one?
How do they find these kids?
Do they find them or do they make them?

I'll take an answer to either question...it seems completely unfair either way.
To be honest, I think they make them. The system they have in place cranks them out and develops their talent "The Red Wing Way" and like DTR said, those that don't follow... get moved.

As for the "boring" comments about the Red Wings, I can see how they'd be referred to that. They play a very composed game, never panic, never get out of line, don't have a tough guy and they just keep playing the system and never relent. To some, that can be boring I guess. But they've got guys like Kronwall that can deliver punishing, highlight reel hits. Add in the Hossa factor this year, and they've certainly been more interesting than ever.

As for the game last night... not looking good for the Pens, but you look at the posts they hit... more bad fortune their way. We'll see if the bounces go their way back at home. I think we'll see this series tied at 2 headed back to Detroit.

Cap'n Clutch

Co-Founder
Co-Founder
asq2 wrote:
They develop the hell out of their kids. They give them a tonne of time in the minors (for example, Abdelkader is older than Crosby), then when they bring them up, it's almost always in a checking role first and foremost - learn the defensive side of the game before getting on to offence.

It's funny how the Wings are praised for this but the Sens are attacked. When it's suggested that the Sens younger players start out on the 3rd or 4th line people complain that it's a waste of their talent and they should be on the 1st or 2nd line if they're supposed to be offensive prospects. When Murray brings in Veteran players, people complain that they're taking away roster spots from their young developing talent that deserve a shot.

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Cap'n Clutch wrote:
asq2 wrote:
They develop the hell out of their kids. They give them a tonne of time in the minors (for example, Abdelkader is older than Crosby), then when they bring them up, it's almost always in a checking role first and foremost - learn the defensive side of the game before getting on to offence.

It's funny how the Wings are praised for this but the Sens are attacked. When it's suggested that the Sens younger players start out on the 3rd or 4th line people complain that it's a waste of their talent and they should be on the 1st or 2nd line if they're supposed to be offensive prospects. When Murray brings in Veteran players, people complain that they're taking away roster spots from their young developing talent that deserve a shot.
The volume and amount of criticism is directly proportional to the level of success on the ice.

Wink

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
asq2 wrote:Quite the physical battle between these two teams. Wings are going to make sure that nobody goes after Lidstrom, though.

So, after watching the Wings, who's up for taking OEL at the draft? :excite:

:excite:

We'll never get him now though. I think he goes top 6, with Cowen 7.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Cap'n Clutch wrote:

I was just thinking that Clutch. Very interesting take on it by Asq. We all know that these kids have to earn a spot in the NHL (it's a privilege to play for the Wings, not a right), but this has some very interesting meaning.

When we bring up guys like Zubov, Regin, Z.Smith etc. etc. etc. they should play on the checking line until such a time that Clouston is satisfied. But if they don't show anything playing on the checking line - and can't generate some offense, then what good would they be in a top 6 role. Babc0ck gets it, in fact, every coach with the possible exception of Lewis gets it. And that makes it both very hard to make the Wings - and when you do, you'd better play a 2-way game, or you're back to the minors.

Interesting tactic.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
504Heater wrote:Interesting tactic.
It seems to be an "earn your stripes" approach that serves two functions - it shields new prospects and ensures they pay respect to the system. No one goes directly into the Top 6, you start bottom 6 and work your way up.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
shabbs wrote:
504Heater wrote:Interesting tactic.
It seems to be an "earn your stripes" approach that serves two functions - it shields new prospects and ensures they pay respect to the system. No one goes directly into the Top 6, you start bottom 6 and work your way up.

I like it personally. We always rush (or I do) to slot players in the top 6 here straight from Bingo or wherever, when we should be ensuring they can play the defensive side first. If they can't, what use are they? We'll only lose in the playoffs.

swales

swales
Prospect
Prospect
A good Ottawa example was when they left Spezza down in Bingo for a while. I believe he is a better player for it.

People are beginning to see how important it is to play within a "System" and not just within a skill-set.

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star
swales wrote:A good Ottawa example was when they left Spezza down in Bingo for a while. I believe he is a better player for it.

People are beginning to see how important it is to play within a "System" and not just within a skill-set.

welcome to GM Hockey, another Detroit fan to bless us with the wisdom behind the hockey machine that is the Wings. You are very right on the "System" of a hockey team being the most important, and the Wings have one of the best, no egos, just a cohesive unit of 23 players in Red.

swales

swales
Prospect
Prospect
Thank you for the welcome. DavetheRave recommended this forum to me about a month ago and I was very impressed with the discussions on here. Sorry to Dave about his Hawks, but they are on the verge of becoming a machine as well.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
swales wrote:Thank you for the welcome. DavetheRave recommended this forum to me about a month ago and I was very impressed with the discussions on here. Sorry to Dave about his Hawks, but they are on the verge of becoming a machine as well.
Welcome to GMHockey! Glad to have you aboard.

Dave will be ok... his Hawks have a very promising future.

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star
shabbs wrote:
swales wrote:Thank you for the welcome. DavetheRave recommended this forum to me about a month ago and I was very impressed with the discussions on here. Sorry to Dave about his Hawks, but they are on the verge of becoming a machine as well.
Welcome to GMHockey! Glad to have you aboard.

Dave will be ok... his Hawks have a very promising future.

at least until they have cap issues, we like to bug Dave about them Laughing3 our Sens have a longer road back to be where the Hawks are right now and may never get there.

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran
Cap'n Clutch wrote:
Acrobat wrote:They're like a big red machine, just rolling along.
Doesn't matter what you throw at them, they adapt, adjust, and just keep coming.

Like the Borg.

Nice. Way to sneak in a Star Trek reference.

someone had to do it, and I think it was my turn.

Cap'n Clutch wrote:Detroit has definitely been a force in the NHL but, they're not some unstoppable big red machine. 4 going on 5 Cups in the last 22 years is impressive but not super human. Before their back to back Cups in 97 and 98 they went 42 years without one. Certainly they have done better than any other team over that span (1997 to 2009) but it's not anywhere near a record. I personally find New Jersey's 3 Cups in their very short history WAY more impressive.

Agreed, but I'm not sure that NJ's accomplishment should take away from Detroit's, rather, both just show that there are 28 other teams that still don't have it right.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Yo Swales, welcome sir! Thanks for coming aboard...some great hockey--just as we hoped--between your Wings and my Hawks...like old times between good friends. Most exciting series of the playoffs IMHO.

Can't wait for the rematch!

:KKK:
Enjoy the forum...we look forward to your posts.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum