What's Next for the Thrashers?

davetherave
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 6803
    Registration date : 2009-01-22

Re: What's Next for the Thrashers?

Post by davetherave on Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:47 pm

Kane is a true power forward...congrats to the Thrash! Think about him and Kovalchuk ripping it up...

caissie_1
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 1579
    Registration date : 2009-01-27

Post by caissie_1 on Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:48 pm

An excellent choice for sure... Kane, Kovalchuk and Little... 3 very good players.

davetherave
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by davetherave on Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:53 pm

ESPN looks at the potential impact of the Antropov signing on Kovalchuk's future in Atlanta; and Waddell's other moves...

ANTROPOV SIGNS WITH THRASHERS
    ESPN.COM STAFF/JULY 2 2009

The Atlanta Thrashers signed Nik Antropov to a four-year, $16 million contract Thursday, setting up a reunion with Ilya Kovalchuk.

The 29-year-old Antropov played with Kovalchuk in Russia during the NHL lockout.

General manager Don Waddell said Kovalchuk endorsed the signing with a text message saying, "Great job."

Kovalchuk's approval is important. The Thrashers' captain and biggest star is entering his free-agent season, and has said he wants to see the team's offseason moves before he talks about signing a new deal.

Waddell said the Antropov signing should help the team re-sign Kovalchuk.

"Certainly, it's going to help us through the process," Waddell said. "Ilya wants to be part of a winning organization and this is a big step in the right direction."

On Wednesday, Waddell also acquired defenseman
    Pavel Kubina in a four-player deal with Toronto.

"I said we didn't need a lot of pieces, we needed key pieces, and that's what we've added," Waddell said.

Antropov set a career high with 59 points and 28 goals with Toronto and the New York Rangers last season. He was traded to the Rangers on March 4.

He had 56 points with the Maple Leafs during the 2007-08 season.

The Thrashers also re-signed forward
    Chris Thorburn, who had 15 points, including seven goals, in a career-high 82 games last season.

Antropov (6-6, 230) and Kubina (6-4, 244) add significant size to the Thrashers' roster, after the team committed to such smaller players as
    Bryan Little and Rich Peverley.

"We thought to give them the best chance of having some success we needed to surround them with some size," Waddell said.
    davetherave
    All-Star
    All-Star

Favorite Team : Chicago

Post by davetherave on Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:38 pm

Here Come The Thrashers?

After thumping Tampa and upsetting the Blues at home, John Anderson's team may have the prognosticators re-jiggering their picks.

Ilya Kovalchuk has already scored four goals, and Rich Peverley, one of the league's most productive players in the second half of last year, is continuing his trend with two goals and an assist in the Thrash's 6-3 home opener over the Bolts.

A glance at Atlanta's depth chart indicates they can roll four strong lines, with quality players like White, Kozlov, Little, Antropov, Afinogenov and rookie Evander Kane; a solid top 4 with Enstrom, Bogosian, Kubina and Hainsey; and an Ondrej Pavelec who has, if the results are indicative, started his season delivering on the promise he has showed.

http://forecaster.canada.com/faceoff/hockey/depthchart.cgi?Atl

Critics of Atlanta GM Don Waddell may be eating crow if the Thrashers continue this pace...though he and Anderson would probably rather focus on just winning the games.

But if the Thrashers, along with Tampa, prove they're ready to compete, the Southeast Division just got a lot more interesting.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 54296
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by PTFlea on Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:05 pm

Critics of Waddell were waiting for him to do something - anything to better the franchise. Getting Kubina, singing Antropov and drafting Bogosian, Klingberg and Kane are a starting point to turning things around for sure.

Next - trade Lehtonen for whatever you can get and start OP as much as possible - possibly even platooning with Hednerg.
    davetherave
    All-Star
    All-Star

Favorite Team : Chicago

Post by davetherave on Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:08 am

SpezDispenser wrote:Critics of Waddell were waiting for him to do something - anything to better the franchise. Getting Kubina, singing Antropov and drafting Bogosian, Klingberg and Kane are a starting point to turning things around for sure.

Next - trade Lehtonen for whatever you can get and start OP as much as possible - possibly even platooning with Hednerg.

Yes, Antropov's singing, along with the voices of Afinogenov, Kozlov, and Kovalchuk, give the Thrash a musical lineup that rivals the Red Army Chorus.

PKC
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 5817
    Registration date : 2008-08-12

Post by PKC on Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:13 am

I think they are going to run into a team that is, in my opinion, far superior defensively to either of the teams they've played so far. There won't be as much free wheeling going on as before.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 47785
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by wprager on Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:41 pm

PKC wrote:I think they are going to run into a team that is, in my opinion, far superior defensively to either of the teams they've played so far. There won't be as much free wheeling going on as before.

OK, so the Thrash isn't going to score 5 goals against us. I'm on board with that. But will the Sens be able to score more than 2 regulation goals themselves? Where's that powerplay we were salivating about before the season started?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:16 pm