You are not connected. Please login or register

GAME DAY: SCP '09, TUESDAY JUNE 2, STANLEY CUP FINAL--DETROIT AT PITTSBURGH, 800 PM ET

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 7]

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star
GAME DAY: SCP '09, TUESDAY JUNE 2, STANLEY CUP FINAL--DETROIT AT PITTSBURGH, 800 PM ET DetDetroit at GAME DAY: SCP '09, TUESDAY JUNE 2, STANLEY CUP FINAL--DETROIT AT PITTSBURGH, 800 PM ET PitPittsburgh

GAME THREE, 2009 STANLEY CUP FINALS
RED WINGS LEAD SERIES 2-0

8:00 PM ET, June 2, 2009
Mellon Arena, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Versus/CBC/RDS (ALL AVAILABLE IN HD)

Red Wings-Penguins Preview

PITTSBURGH (AP/ESPN) -- Sidney Crosby was nowhere to be found, hidden from sight before the Pittsburgh Penguins play the game that likely will tell them if they have any chance of overtaking the Detroit Red Wings and winning the Stanley Cup.

At the rink? Sorry, no Crosby sighting there as the Penguins rested Monday after losing two games in two nights in Detroit, putting themselves into a deep, deep hole from which only one of 32 teams has previously escaped during the finals.

Doing interviews? Nope, it was a rare Crosby-free day for reporters curious to find out if being shut out on consecutive nights frustrated or, conversely, further motivated the NHL's most visible player going into Game 3 on Tuesday night.

"Every day doesn't need to be Sidney Crosby day," Penguins coach
Dan Bylsma said of keeping his captain away from probing minds.

Oh, but every day is Crosby day for the Red Wings. Their twin 3-1 victories in Detroit on Saturday and Sunday were created in part by the blanketing defense of
Henrik Zetterberg, who has stayed so close to Crosby during the finals that he probably knew where Sid the Kid was hiding out during Pittsburgh's day off.

Zetterberg went over the boards for all but one of Crosby's shifts in Joe Louis Arena, holding him scoreless and creating some visible frustration as the Red Wings closed to within two victories of winning their fifth Stanley Cup since 1997.

Me and my shadow, indeed.

"I've been in different roles, different situations and this one is a pure challenge and it's fun," Zetterberg said.

The question is whether the fun stops for the player known simply as Z by his Red Wings teammates once the venue changes Tuesday night. The Penguins can make the final line change at home, and Bylsma won't have to be as concerned with Zetterberg hitting the ice a moment after Crosby does.

Crosby didn't score in consecutive playoff games for the first time since Games 1 and 2 of the finals against Detroit last season, but he wasn't invisible. Crosby hit the inside of a post among five shots in Game 2, and he had enough scoring chances to worry Mike Babc0ck, especially now that the Red Wings coach must be creative to pair Zetterberg and defenseman
Nicklas Lidstrom against Crosby.

"They're going to make it hard for us," Babc0ck said. "We're going to do what we can. We've won a lot of games this year on the road and we did it because we're willing to move people around and have good balance and come at teams."

The Red Wings know they'll see plenty of Crosby and playoffs scoring leader
Evgeni Malkin, and a lot of desperation, as the Penguins try to avoid going down 3-0 to the defending champs -- a loss that would likely make the rest of the finals a mere formality.

The Penguins' task is hard enough; of the 32 teams to previously win the first two games 2 on home ice, 31 won the Stanley Cup. Only Chicago failed, against Montreal in 1971.

"Hey, crazier things have happened," forward
Bill Guerin said.

Pittsburgh pulled off a 2-0 comeback earlier this spring, rallying to beat the
Washington Capitals in seven games despite losing Game 6 at home. But the Capitals lacked the depth, maturity, goaltending and playoff know-how of the Red Wings, who may be even better than the team that took out Pittsburgh in six games last spring.

Detroit, for example, got insurance goals in each of the first two games from rookie
Justin Abdelkader, who spent all but two games this season in the minors, while defenseman Jonathan Ericsson had the pivotal goal in Game 2 only a few days after having his appendix removed.

Hart Trophy finalist
Pavel Datsyuk has missed five games with an injured foot and, still limping around the rink, doesn't look close to being ready to play. So far it hasn't mattered, and Detroit's goal is to keep it that way.

"The Zetterberg line is doing a phenomenal job against Sid and we try to do the same thing against Malkin,"
Marian Hossa said. "They're dangerous players, they're getting great chances and but we try to eliminate them."

Hossa, perhaps better than any of his teammates, knows what awaits the Red Wings in Pittsburgh. Hossa surprised the Penguins last summer by turning down a $49 million, seven-year offer to stay in Pittsburgh and instead signed with Detroit for $7.5 million and one season, saying the Red Wings offered the best chance of winning the Stanley Cup.

So far, it looks like he's made the right decision, which should further anger the fans who booed him whenever he stepped onto the ice during Detroit's 3-0 win in Pittsburgh on Feb. 8.

"It's going to be loud in Pittsburgh," Hossa said. "They show you what they think. ... Nothing is going to change on my part. I just try to use it to my advantage, that booing, (and) play my game."

The Penguins know they can't keep playing Detroit's game and hope to succeed, but they're confident that going home will help them slip more pucks behind
Chris Osgood.

They also hope it steadies goalie Marc-Andre Fleury, who was shaky in Game 1 and was beaten by a long, knuckleball-like shot by Abdelkader in Game 2.

To win, Pittsburgh probably needs contributions from someone other than Malkin (1 goal, 1 assist), who displayed some of his frustration by fighting with Zetterberg late in Game 2. Similarly, Crosby flashed his discontent by ramming his stick into Kirk Malby after Game 1. Now, in so desperate a situation, the Penguins need their stars to score, not to scrap.

They also aren't getting any offense from center
Jordan Staal's third line or from Chris Kunitz, who plays alongside Crosby yet has only one goal in 24 games. That won't get it done against these fast-rolling Detroit wheels.

"I don't think we should be frustrated," defenseman
Sergei Gonchar said. "I don't think we are frustrated because the series is not over."

Lose Tuesday, and it might be.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Cue the cliche's....

It's a must win...

Can't afford to do down 3-0...

One shift at a time...

shabbs wrote:Cue the cliche's....

It's a must win...

Can't afford to do down 3-0...

One shift at a time...

Our best players need to be our best players

Shoot to score

never give up

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Leave it all on the ice.

It's not over yet.

The fourth game is the hardest one to win. No, wait, it's a little early for that one.

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star
We're gonna take this one game at a time.

We just gotta make things simple...make the simple plays.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star
Cliches aside, the real issues for the Penguins include their failure of their role players in the first two games.

Chris Kunitz's very disappointing play in this series...and he wasn't very good in the last one either.

Miro Satan, Ruslan Fedotenko and Max Talbot need to be much better.

The backchecking of Pittsburgh's forwards hasn't been good.

The Pens' defense has gotten caught too often off guard, out skated by the Wings, and very poor at clearing the front of the net.

Fleury's actually been pretty solid--but he has not gotten the support Osgood gets.

That's all got to change in Game Three.

Last edited by davetherave on Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
davetherave wrote:Cliches aside, the real issues for the Penguins include their failure of their role players in the first two games.

Chris Kunitz's very disappointing play in this series...and he wasn't very good in the last one either.

The Pens' defense has gotten caught too often off guard, out skated by the Wings, and very poor at clearing the front of the net.

Fleury's actually been pretty solid--but he has not gotten the support Osgood gets.

That's all got to change in Game Two.

Has Petr Sykora even played this playoffs? That's what's killing the Pens. Satan is okay, but he's not what he used to be. Fedotenko never was anything real special, but he has the experience. Talbot isn't anything offensively special. Kunitz hasn't done a thing - and he has experience as well. If these guys can't do it, who will?

I think Kennedy has looked excellent in these playoffs. If things are going to change, perhaps he'll be the one? Shrug

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
davetherave wrote:Cliches aside, the real issues for the Penguins include their failure of their role players in the first two games.

That's all got to change in Game Two.

A senior moment? Laughing3

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
504Heater wrote:
Has Petr Sykora even played this playoffs? That's what's killing the Pens. Satan is okay, but he's not what he used to be. Fedotenko never was anything real special, but he has the experience. Talbot isn't anything offensively special. Kunitz hasn't done a thing - and he has experience as well. If these guys can't do it, who will?

I think Kennedy has looked excellent in these playoffs. If things are going to change, perhaps he'll be the one? Shrug

Satan is OK? He's got to be better than that. I was watching the game on PVR and near the end of the second period I suddenly had to ask myself -- wasn't Satan supposed to be in the lineup? I could not remember hearing his name mentioned at all. Mind you, I was fast-forwarding throughbreaks in the action and commercials, but you would have expected to hear a player's name mentioned during the action.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
If you look at the stats we're just waitin' on that fat lady again LOL.

Seriously though the Pens have something like a 3% chance of winning this series. I believe it's 31 teams out of 32 have won the finals when up 2 games to none in a best of seven.

- Unknown Author

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Yeah, history is not in the Pens' favour, that's for sure. But as they say, it ain't over until it's over. It would be nice to have the Pens make a series of this and win both at home.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
shabbs wrote:Yeah, history is not in the Pens' favour, that's for sure. But as they say, it ain't over until it's over. It would be nice to have the Pens make a series of this and win both at home.

I'm hoping they tie it up as well. I think if they do that then the pressure is back on the Wings. I obviously had high expectations for this version of the Pens but I think they've wasted their opportunity to the point of no return. Sure the results could have been different had they not hit those posts, had Fleury not allowed at least 3 terrible goals out of 6, had some of those breakaways resulted in goals etc...

Even if you're of the opinion that the Pens have outplayed the Wings thus far but the Wings are getting all the bounces all the luck and favourable reffing calls it doesn't matter. The Wings are up 2 games to none and haven't played their best in this series yet. How long before the Wings dominate in a game or two? There's almost no room for error right now.

- Unknown Author

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Crosby has no points and Malkin has a goal and an assist through the first two games. If they want to win, that's gotta change. Having last change should help that on home ice.

swales

swales
Prospect
Prospect
Being a Wings fan, I see how getting pucks to the net works. Even though the Pens have out-shot the Wings 65-56 through the first 2 games, most of those shots are wide open. Pitt needs to get bodies in front of Osgood like Detroit does in front of all goalies. Ozzy will stop 99% of what he can see.

Another problem they are having is in the face-off category. If the Pens want to make a charge in this series, they need to win, and control, more face-offs. Detroit is the best in the league in this category and have scored two crucial goals in the offensive zone because of it. Pitt must rise to the challenge.

Like I said, I am a Wings fan and believe we will take it in 5 with a split in Pittsburgh. Hopefully the remaining games will be as close as the first 2. This is the type of hockey you'd expect from the top two teams, and as a fan of hockey, it's nice to see.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The Wings are king for getting in goalie's faces, that's for sure.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 7]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum