You are not connected. Please login or register

 » All things PLAYOFFS! » GAME DAY: SCP '09, TUESDAY JUNE 2, STANLEY CUP FINAL--DETROIT AT PITTSBURGH, 800 PM ET

GAME DAY: SCP '09, TUESDAY JUNE 2, STANLEY CUP FINAL--DETROIT AT PITTSBURGH, 800 PM ET

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 7]

shabbs


Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Crosby has no points and Malkin has a goal and an assist through the first two games. If they want to win, that's gotta change. Having last change should help that on home ice.

swales


Prospect
Prospect
Being a Wings fan, I see how getting pucks to the net works. Even though the Pens have out-shot the Wings 65-56 through the first 2 games, most of those shots are wide open. Pitt needs to get bodies in front of Osgood like Detroit does in front of all goalies. Ozzy will stop 99% of what he can see.

Another problem they are having is in the face-off category. If the Pens want to make a charge in this series, they need to win, and control, more face-offs. Detroit is the best in the league in this category and have scored two crucial goals in the offensive zone because of it. Pitt must rise to the challenge.

Like I said, I am a Wings fan and believe we will take it in 5 with a split in Pittsburgh. Hopefully the remaining games will be as close as the first 2. This is the type of hockey you'd expect from the top two teams, and as a fan of hockey, it's nice to see.

shabbs


Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The Wings are king for getting in goalie's faces, that's for sure.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
shabbs wrote:Crosby has no points and Malkin has a goal and an assist through the first two games. If they want to win, that's gotta change. Having last change should help that on home ice.

Don't forget that on his goal he didn't even register a shot; it was knocked in by the D.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
swales wrote:Being a Wings fan, I see how getting pucks to the net works. Even though the Pens have out-shot the Wings 65-56 through the first 2 games, most of those shots are wide open. Pitt needs to get bodies in front of Osgood like Detroit does in front of all goalies. Ozzy will stop 99% of what he can see.

Another problem they are having is in the face-off category. If the Pens want to make a charge in this series, they need to win, and control, more face-offs. Detroit is the best in the league in this category and have scored two crucial goals in the offensive zone because of it. Pitt must rise to the challenge.

Like I said, I am a Wings fan and believe we will take it in 5 with a split in Pittsburgh. Hopefully the remaining games will be as close as the first 2. This is the type of hockey you'd expect from the top two teams, and as a fan of hockey, it's nice to see.

First, I agree that they will likely split on the road and win in 5 at home (although I originally picked them in 7). I am not, however, sure that we are seeing the two best teams. Pittsburgh waltzed into the Finals by beating a used-up Canes team, which should not have been even close to the Bruins. The Bruins lose their best chance at a Stanley Cup right there, in game 7 at home. Can't blame that one on Thornton. Julien just may be gone. The other "challenges" for Pittsburgh had been the one-man Capitals (with a rookie goalie that pushed them to 7!) and the injured Flyers with Biron in goal. Pittsburgh is in the Finals, at least partially, because of the luck of the match-ups. Detroit got there by eliminating Anaheim and Chicago -- two teams that had been playing extremely well and were not suffering from injuries (at least not to start the series).

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
swales wrote:Being a Wings fan, I see how getting pucks to the net works. Even though the Pens have out-shot the Wings 65-56 through the first 2 games, most of those shots are wide open. Pitt needs to get bodies in front of Osgood like Detroit does in front of all goalies. Ozzy will stop 99% of what he can see.

Another problem they are having is in the face-off category. If the Pens want to make a charge in this series, they need to win, and control, more face-offs. Detroit is the best in the league in this category and have scored two crucial goals in the offensive zone because of it. Pitt must rise to the challenge.

Like I said, I am a Wings fan and believe we will take it in 5 with a split in Pittsburgh. Hopefully the remaining games will be as close as the first 2. This is the type of hockey you'd expect from the top two teams, and as a fan of hockey, it's nice to see.

Yeah, the Wings play an amazing style that fuses offense and defense perfectly. I've never seen a team control the neutral zone as well as the Wings. It's almost funny to watch the Pens trying to get out of their zone. They're forced to pass across the ice to the left winger almost all the time, with varying results. And we all know that if the centerman picks off the pass going across ice, the Wings transition game will destroy you.

Interesting and frustrating to watch at the same time - and I'm not a Pens fan by any stretch.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Still no Ice Chips update for today. I thought they were usually updated at 11?

So the analysts are all saying that, with the last change Bylsma will try to keep Sid away from Zetterberg. Has anyone considered what keeping Sid away from Zetterberg will do to Henrik's production? To say nothing of the inference that Crosby cannot produce unless he is isolated from a good defensive forward. And, as good as Zetterberg is defensively, he is not a 3rd line checker. Detroit has one or two of those as well.

Bottom line, while Sid's production will likely increase, so will Zetterberg's. The two may cancel each other out. We'll have a higher scoring game, but Detroit's depth will still prevail.

Thoughts?

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Anybody out there? Hello???

OK, here's a joke, then:



One day God was looking down at Earth and saw all of the
rascally behavior that was going on.

So he called one of His
angels and sent the angel to Earth for a time.

When he returned, he
told God, 'Yes, it is bad on Earth; 95% are misbehaving and only 5% are
not.

God thought for a moment and said, 'Maybe I had better
send down a second angel to get another opinion.'

So God called another
angel and sent him to Earth for a time.

When the angel returned he went
to God and said, 'Yes, it's true.
The Earth is in decline; 95% are
misbehaving, but 5% are being good.'

God was not pleased. So He decided
to e-mail the 5% that were good, because he wanted to encourage them,

and give them a little something to help them keep going.

Do you
know what the e-mail said?

Okay, I was just wondering.....because I
didn't get one either.



Last edited by wprager on Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
OK, Ice Chips finally updated. Samuelsson did not skate this morning. He is ill and may not play. Draper is ready but it'll be a coaching decision. Datsyuk skated and is getting better, but it's more likely he could play on Thursday.

Hmm, if he is still *skating* then it's probably not a break. Would you skate on a broken foot even if you know you are not playing? Wpuld it not be better to completely rest it?

I'm not a doctor. Paging Dr. Rooney. Smile

Guest


Guest
Yeah, you can skate on a broken foot. It's the fear of taking one off the foot, a slash, or just some physical play that is the prob.

Not gonna get any worse when skating on it.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star
wprager wrote:
davetherave wrote:
That's all got to change in Game Two.

A senior moment? Laughing3

It had to change in Game Two as well...but your youthful impertinence shows itself again.
:^^^^: :^^^^: :^^^^:

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
davetherave wrote:
wprager wrote:
davetherave wrote:
That's all got to change in Game Two.

A senior moment? Laughing3

It had to change in Game Two as well...but your youthful impertinence shows itself again.
:^^^^: :^^^^: :^^^^:

Hey, with 4 kids, trust me, I'm catching up to you by the time the second one is a teenager.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Mario to do the ceremonial puck drop. I hope he doesn't hurt his back.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Datsyuk is optimistic he'll be ready for game 4 after the morning skate today:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/playoffs/2009/news?id=4224707


Datsyuk has been sidelined for five games by a foot injury and is not ready to play Tuesday night against Pittsburgh in Game 3 of the Stanley Cup finals.

But Red Wings coach Mike Wang said Datsyuk might be back for Thursday's Game 4. Wang says Datsyuk was optimistic after his skate Tuesday.



Last edited by wprager on Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:47 pm; edited 2 times in total

swales

swales
Prospect
Prospect
wprager wrote:Datsyuk is optimistic he'll be ready for game 4 after the morning skate today:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/playoffs/2009/news?id=4224707


Datsyuk has been sidelined for five games by a foot injury and is not
ready to play Tuesday night against Pittsburgh in Game 3 of the Stanley
Cup finals.But
Red Wings coach Mike Wang said Datsyuk might be back for Thursday's
Game 4. Wang says Datsyuk was optimistic after his skate Tuesday.

Probably a good idea just to keep him in the press box, even if he could go. No sense making it any worse when you are in a good position. The young guns are pulling more than their weight and it seems like the defense is good to go with the exception of Lilja.

As for Samuelson, I believe that he would want to play anyway. If not, Draper says he's ready to go. It should be an interesting one for sure. 3 and a half hours and counting.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
If they lose tonight... I suspect we'll see Datsyuk and Draper in Game 4.

swales

swales
Prospect
Prospect
shabbs wrote:If they lose tonight... I suspect we'll see Datsyuk and Draper in Game 4.

Agreed. They won't have a choice.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
swales wrote:
shabbs wrote:If they lose tonight... I suspect we'll see Datsyuk and Draper in Game 4.

Agreed. They won't have a choice.

I'm not 100% certain of that. If they lose both games in Pittsburgh they are still in command -- it becomes a best of three with home ice advantage. And as for any momentum, the return of Datsyuk and heading back to The Joe would certainly swing it around.

But, first thing is the game tonight. Win, and it's academic. Actually, if they win tonight, Datsyuk might still dress for game 4 because, I'm sure, if there is any chance of the Cup being presented, he'll want to be there and contributing.

Sponsored content


Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum