You are not connected. Please login or register

Rogers Internet download speed increase

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 7]

1Rogers Internet download speed increase Empty Rogers Internet download speed increase on Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:34 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Rogers has boosted their download speeds on their Express and Lite Internet services. Express has gone from 7Mpbs to 10Mbps and Lite has gone from 1Mbps to 3Mbps. No charge for the increase, and it's effective in June.

Presser: http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/archive/May2009/25/c6877.html

I noticed this when I did a speed test on my iPod Touch this morning:

Rogers Internet download speed increase IMG_0007

I thought it was wrong so I tested it on my laptop... sure enough... it's right...

Rogers Internet download speed increase 489179030

NICE!

cool)

2Rogers Internet download speed increase Empty Re: Rogers Internet download speed increase on Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:33 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Yippie! I'm on lite and this is my result. Not quite 3 meg, but certainly better than before.
Rogers Internet download speed increase 102837_56

3Rogers Internet download speed increase Empty Re: Rogers Internet download speed increase on Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:33 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Shabbs, I assumed you got this from DigitalHome.ca, but I don't see it there, yet.

4Rogers Internet download speed increase Empty Re: Rogers Internet download speed increase on Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:48 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
wprager wrote:Shabbs, I assumed you got this from DigitalHome.ca, but I don't see it there, yet.
Yeah, there's a couple of discussions going on, but there was no link to the presser, Hugh had only quoted it.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=106222

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=107171

I see you started a thread... 57 will probably merge it with those above...

5Rogers Internet download speed increase Empty Re: Rogers Internet download speed increase on Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:17 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
shabbs wrote:
wprager wrote:Shabbs, I assumed you got this from DigitalHome.ca, but I don't see it there, yet.
Yeah, there's a couple of discussions going on, but there was no link to the presser, Hugh had only quoted it.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=106222

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=107171

I see you started a thread... 57 will probably merge it with those above...

Hmm, I'm wondering how I missed it?

6Rogers Internet download speed increase Empty Re: Rogers Internet download speed increase on Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:27 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
wprager wrote:
shabbs wrote:
wprager wrote:Shabbs, I assumed you got this from DigitalHome.ca, but I don't see it there, yet.
Yeah, there's a couple of discussions going on, but there was no link to the presser, Hugh had only quoted it.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=106222

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=107171

I see you started a thread... 57 will probably merge it with those above...

Hmm, I'm wondering how I missed it?
There was a small announcement on DHC's main page:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/content/view/3730/288/

7Rogers Internet download speed increase Empty Re: Rogers Internet download speed increase on Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:45 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Here are the offerings now with their new speeds...

Rogers Internet download speed increase Rogers10

I suspect they'll bump Extreme to 15Mbps or 18Mbps soon... the only difference between Extreme and Express is the cap.

8Rogers Internet download speed increase Empty Re: Rogers Internet download speed increase on Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:29 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Wow, looking at those prices makes me a bit upset. I'm getting a 20% discount off the Internet -- used to have a bundling discount of 15% which they unilaterally removed, when I called to complain they gave me 20% for 12 months (but, of course, with all the recent increases my actual monthly costs are up from a few months ago).

But without the 20% off that $35.00 for Lite looks obscene. Compared to internet access pries in the rest of the developed world, wow, what a difference.

9Rogers Internet download speed increase Empty Re: Rogers Internet download speed increase on Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:11 pm

Guest


Guest
I'm with Shaw here and I have the second highest package at 15Mbps. Pretty damn good for under $50 a month. Word is that the highest package (25Mbps) will go to 100Mbps soon. About time, places like Sweden have had 10Mbps home service for almost a decade.

10Rogers Internet download speed increase Empty Re: Rogers Internet download speed increase on Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:04 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
hemlock wrote:I'm with Shaw here and I have the second highest package at 15Mbps. Pretty damn good for under $50 a month. Word is that the highest package (25Mbps) will go to 100Mbps soon. About time, places like Sweden have had 10Mbps home service for almost a decade.
Nice prices for those speeds... but comparing Europe to here is apples to oranges due to the size of the infrastructure and the serious lack of competition here. North America is so far behind everyone as far as internet technology is concerned when you look at the speeds and pricing being offered in Asia and Europe. A lot of that is due to significantly higher densities in those areas as opposed to here.

11Rogers Internet download speed increase Empty Re: Rogers Internet download speed increase on Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:02 pm

Guest


Guest
shabbs wrote:
hemlock wrote:I'm with Shaw here and I have the second highest package at 15Mbps. Pretty damn good for under $50 a month. Word is that the highest package (25Mbps) will go to 100Mbps soon. About time, places like Sweden have had 10Mbps home service for almost a decade.
Nice prices for those speeds... but comparing Europe to here is apples to oranges due to the size of the infrastructure and the serious lack of competition here. North America is so far behind everyone as far as internet technology is concerned when you look at the speeds and pricing being offered in Asia and Europe. A lot of that is due to significantly higher densities in those areas as opposed to here.

Much like the cell phone business apparently.

12Rogers Internet download speed increase Empty Re: Rogers Internet download speed increase on Sat May 26, 2012 2:00 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Nooooo!

Rogers wrote:
Our records show your household has reached 100% of the 60 GB monthly usage allowance provided with your Rogers Hi-Speed Internet Express service.

For each additional GB that you use, you will be charged $2.00, until you reach the maximum charge of $50.00 per billing period.

Couldn't find the "Rogers are crooks" thread (not what it's called) so this'll have to do.

Apparently when he "goes to bed" at 10PM my kind watches YouTube on his iPod until midnight (then complains about being tired and how unfair it is that his bus comes at 7 and the rest of the kids just walk to their primary school at 9). They also watch a couple of hours of Netflix every day. I guess it adds up. At this rate of consumption I'll be 12 GB over by the end of the month.


_________________
Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
- Dicky Fox

13Rogers Internet download speed increase Empty Re: Rogers Internet download speed increase on Sat May 26, 2012 2:44 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
wprager wrote:Nooooo!

Rogers wrote:
Our records show your household has reached 100% of the 60 GB monthly usage allowance provided with your Rogers Hi-Speed Internet Express service.

For each additional GB that you use, you will be charged $2.00, until you reach the maximum charge of $50.00 per billing period.

Couldn't find the "Rogers are crooks" thread (not what it's called) so this'll have to do.

Apparently when he "goes to bed" at 10PM my kind watches YouTube on his iPod until midnight (then complains about being tired and how unfair it is that his bus comes at 7 and the rest of the kids just walk to their primary school at 9). They also watch a couple of hours of Netflix every day. I guess it adds up. At this rate of consumption I'll be 12 GB over by the end of the month.

We got the same message last month, but they didn't actually charge us anything more.

14Rogers Internet download speed increase Empty Re: Rogers Internet download speed increase on Sat May 26, 2012 3:33 pm

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star
The weird thing is that Rogers Express is now 70GB usage and yet my usage is capped at 60Gb, I need to call them about that. Could've sworn they bumped it up to 80.

15Rogers Internet download speed increase Empty Re: Rogers Internet download speed increase on Sat May 26, 2012 3:37 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
I'm on Primus with 7MBPs and unlimited downloads for $38.95

Sponsored content


Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 7]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum