You are not connected. Please login or register

Rogers Internet download speed increase

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 7]

31 Re: Rogers Internet download speed increase on Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:21 am

Hoags


All-Star
All-Star
You could look at the OUI of the MAC addresses, first 3 octets could tell you the manufacturer of the device, see if it's any of yours.

If the leeching happens when no one is home I say you've got an external intruder, unless one of your PCs is on running BitTorrent or some other download.

You need to get off WEP, might as well have your AP wide open, WEP is so easy to crack.

32 Re: Rogers Internet download speed increase on Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:55 am

wprager


Administrator
Administrator
rooneypoo wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:I'd post here about how Teksavvy has 300GB and unlimited plans, but then I'd just be repeating myself.

Edit: Oh, that stinks if someone is leeching. I don't know enough about networking to correct that problem!

Yep, made that switch about a year ago myself, and no regrets. All the internet I can use + a land line for about $80 a month. Saves me about $30 a month in comparison to Rogers, and I never have to worry about internet usage amounts ever again.

Rogers, btw, is notorious for "pinching" their internet users, so that it takes a LOT of time to download larger files, which in turn eats into your monthly usage allowances. The first thing I noticed when I switched to Teksavvy was how much more quickly files downloaded.

Don't be so sure about it. TekSavvy still have to pay Rogers (I assume it's over cable) and once Rogers/Bell get the CRTC to agree with them (and I'm sure that's coming) then TekSavvy will have no choice but to charge/limit you.

33 Re: Rogers Internet download speed increase on Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:02 am

wprager


Administrator
Administrator
shabbs wrote:Prager - you can also disable broadcast of your SSID (keeps your router hidden).

You should look at deploying WPA2 encryption with a lengthy pass phrase. WEP can be bypassed very easily. What device does not support WPA2? Can it be hard wired? MAC address filtering ends up being more annoying than anything else. But a good move for now while you figure this out.

Worst case is you have some sort of trojan or infection on a computer and it's become a "drone" that's using your internet connection for nasty activity. Check your systems, do some full scans.

I don't broadcast my SSID. That and the WEP password is all I have, though, and it's clearly not enough. A friend at work who knows everything (and I *don't* mean that in a sarcastic way) said there is a program (called "Find Free WiFi) that you can d/l for free (if you don't mind the viruses) that will do all the work for you. I was using WEP because some devices (probably my kids' DSs) weren't up to snuff. But he's reasonably sure that they will work on WPA. So by changing to WPA and also using MAC address filtering I should be OK. You can spoof your MAC address, of course, but unless they knew enough to write down the other MAC addresses in use they'd have a tough time finding one that would work.

I also have the MAC address -- pretty sure it's the one with no device name, but I'll double check with my wife about her laptop name. If I have the MAC address my friend says there are ways to find the IP address, and from that you can track it down pretty easily. We'll see.

I think I'm going to type a quick letter and post it on the mailbox, saying how someone was leeching my wifi to the tune of $20 last month and who-knows-how-much this month. It would have to be someone withing a couple of houses of us since my wireless router is not very strong (I have trouble on my front porch).

34 Re: Rogers Internet download speed increase on Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:05 am

wprager

avatar
Administrator
Administrator
Forgot to mention, on Saturday when we were away, the only thing on was my laptop, and it was connected to the work VPN. They are fairly aggressive with virus scans and other protection.


_________________
Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
- Dicky Fox

35 Re: Rogers Internet download speed increase on Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:11 am

Hoags

avatar
All-Star
All-Star
wprager wrote:Forgot to mention, on Saturday when we were away, the only thing on was my laptop, and it was connected to the work VPN. They are fairly aggressive with virus scans and other protection.

I'd get off WEP ASAP.

I have an old Toshiba laptop at work that doesn't support WPA, it goes back to 2003, you must have some old device if they don't at least support WPA.

I want to get a brand new router with DD-WRT and run all sorts of things on it (snort etc.). Still looking to see which ones are best.

36 Re: Rogers Internet download speed increase on Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:31 am

tim1_2

avatar
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
wprager wrote:
Don't be so sure about it. TekSavvy still have to pay Rogers (I assume it's over cable) and once Rogers/Bell get the CRTC to agree with them (and I'm sure that's coming) then TekSavvy will have no choice but to charge/limit you.

This almost happened once, but then the CRTC was forced to reconsider. Teksavvy's response? They UPPED their lower limit from 200GB to 300GB. Hilarious.

37 Re: Rogers Internet download speed increase on Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:43 am

Number Twenty Nine

avatar
Veteran
Veteran
I also recommend using MAC Filtering.

38 Re: Rogers Internet download speed increase on Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:44 am

Number Twenty Nine

avatar
Veteran
Veteran
Hoags wrote:
wprager wrote:Forgot to mention, on Saturday when we were away, the only thing on was my laptop, and it was connected to the work VPN. They are fairly aggressive with virus scans and other protection.

I'd get off WEP ASAP.

I have an old Toshiba laptop at work that doesn't support WPA, it goes back to 2003, you must have some old device if they don't at least support WPA.

I want to get a brand new router with DD-WRT and run all sorts of things on it (snort etc.). Still looking to see which ones are best.

I use Tomato on one of my routers. Works great.

39 Re: Rogers Internet download speed increase on Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:15 pm

rooneypoo

avatar
All-Star
All-Star
wprager wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:I'd post here about how Teksavvy has 300GB and unlimited plans, but then I'd just be repeating myself.

Edit: Oh, that stinks if someone is leeching. I don't know enough about networking to correct that problem!

Yep, made that switch about a year ago myself, and no regrets. All the internet I can use + a land line for about $80 a month. Saves me about $30 a month in comparison to Rogers, and I never have to worry about internet usage amounts ever again.

Rogers, btw, is notorious for "pinching" their internet users, so that it takes a LOT of time to download larger files, which in turn eats into your monthly usage allowances. The first thing I noticed when I switched to Teksavvy was how much more quickly files downloaded.

Don't be so sure about it. TekSavvy still have to pay Rogers (I assume it's over cable) and once Rogers/Bell get the CRTC to agree with them (and I'm sure that's coming) then TekSavvy will have no choice but to charge/limit you.

I have a limit -- 300 GB per month, which is more than I need. The difference is, Teksavvy's upper limit is higher and cheaper to buy than Rogers' (I paid $60+ a month for 100 GB with Rogers, compared to $47 a month for 300 GB), and they don't "throttle" my downloads like Rogers, which causes them to take extra long. Best thing I ever did was walk away from Rogers.

40 Re: Rogers Internet download speed increase on Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:27 pm

tim1_2

avatar
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Prags seems resistent to change, even though he can only SAVE money right now with Teksavvy.

41 Re: Rogers Internet download speed increase on Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:33 pm

SeawaySensFan

avatar
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
tim1_2 wrote:Prags seems resistent to change, even though he can only SAVE money right now with Teksavvy.

42 Re: Rogers Internet download speed increase on Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:39 pm

tim1_2

avatar
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Ahhh Georges. I just watched "Goon" on Saturday night. Was delighted to see Georges in it. Other than that, the movie was moderately entertaining. Certainly worth a watch.

43 Re: Rogers Internet download speed increase on Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:10 pm

Hoags

avatar
All-Star
All-Star
rooneypoo wrote:
I have a limit -- 300 GB per month, which is more than I need. The difference is, Teksavvy's upper limit is higher and cheaper to buy than Rogers' (I paid $60+ a month for 100 GB with Rogers, compared to $47 a month for 300 GB), and they don't "throttle" my downloads like Rogers, which causes them to take extra long. Best thing I ever did was walk away from Rogers.

I think the CRTC will find some way of pushing UBB onto companies like TekSavvy. It's one reason why I've been reluctant to switch, the free ride will end at some point.

44 Re: Rogers Internet download speed increase on Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:20 pm

tim1_2

avatar
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Hoags wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
I have a limit -- 300 GB per month, which is more than I need. The difference is, Teksavvy's upper limit is higher and cheaper to buy than Rogers' (I paid $60+ a month for 100 GB with Rogers, compared to $47 a month for 300 GB), and they don't "throttle" my downloads like Rogers, which causes them to take extra long. Best thing I ever did was walk away from Rogers.

I think the CRTC will find some way of pushing UBB onto companies like TekSavvy. It's one reason why I've been reluctant to switch, the free ride will end at some point.

Yeah, the "free" ride will probably be crippled at some point. But the logic to not switch because that may happen "eventually" is bat Dung challenged. Itís very easy to switch - all the same hardware works, and you don't need a tech visit. So, you could get better, cheaper service starting now with the threat of (OHNO) having to switch back eventually, or you could just stick with craptacular Bell or Rogers, because that's who you think you'll end up having to use inevitably.

45 Re: Rogers Internet download speed increase on Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:24 pm

Hoags

avatar
All-Star
All-Star
tim1_2 wrote:
Yeah, the "free" ride will probably be crippled at some point. But the logic to not switch because that may happen "eventually" is bat Dung challenged. Itís very easy to switch - all the same hardware works, and you don't need a tech visit. So, you could get better, cheaper service starting now with the threat of (OHNO) having to switch back eventually, or you could just stick with craptacular Bell or Rogers, because that's who you think you'll end up having to use inevitably.

I hear switching is a pain in the Donkey.

Rogers cuts you off early so you can have days without internet until teksavvy is turned on, not to mention when they disconnect your rogers internet they kill your TV as well by accident.

I might switch soon as we nearly hit our 60GB limit watching Netflix HD, lucky we had 1.5 GB left and it rolls over today.

46 Re: Rogers Internet download speed increase on Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:28 pm

tim1_2

avatar
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Hoags wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:
Yeah, the "free" ride will probably be crippled at some point. But the logic to not switch because that may happen "eventually" is bat Dung challenged. Itís very easy to switch - all the same hardware works, and you don't need a tech visit. So, you could get better, cheaper service starting now with the threat of (OHNO) having to switch back eventually, or you could just stick with craptacular Bell or Rogers, because that's who you think you'll end up having to use inevitably.

I hear switching is a pain in the Donkey.

Rogers cuts you off early so you can have days without internet until teksavvy is turned on, not to mention when they disconnect your rogers internet they kill your TV as well by accident.

I might switch soon as we nearly hit our 60GB limit watching Netflix HD, lucky we had 1.5 GB left and it rolls over today.

I switched from Bell DSL to TekSavvy DSL and it was seamless. I have no personal experience with their cable service, other than a couple friends that had no issue switching..and no significant (more than a day) gap in service.

47 Re: Rogers Internet download speed increase on Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:35 pm

Hoags

avatar
All-Star
All-Star
Cable is available in my area so I'd go with that. I use VOIP if I were to get DSL it'd have to be a dry loop so pricier too.

48 Re: Rogers Internet download speed increase on Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:42 pm

wprager

avatar
Administrator
Administrator
Since I have TV+internet+home phone with Rogers I get 15% discount. I also have a rent-free PVR and small rebates for the rent-free modem and second digital box. Even with the $20 surcharge I'm paying $156 this month, and that includes VIP (lots of channels -- about the only thing I miss is West Coast HD and TSN-HD), additional outlets, 10 MBbps internet (up-to12 is what they say), home phone with 500 NA LD minutes -- more than I need, and 3 features. If you tell me I could save by unbundling and getting only cable from Rogers and internet+landline from Teksavvy, then I'm listening.

Until this recent problem my highest usage was 44 or 45, well short of my cap. If I had a 300 GB limit I probably would have never found out that someone was leeching from me.


_________________
Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
- Dicky Fox

Sponsored content


Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum