GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GM Hockey » All things PLAYOFFS! » GAME DAY: SCP '09, FRIDAY JUNE 12, STANLEY CUP FINAL--PITTSBURGH AT DETROIT, 800 PM ET

GAME DAY: SCP '09, FRIDAY JUNE 12, STANLEY CUP FINAL--PITTSBURGH AT DETROIT, 800 PM ET

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11

WHO WINS GAME SEVEN AND THE STANLEY CUP?

GAME DAY: SCP '09, FRIDAY JUNE 12, STANLEY CUP FINAL--PITTSBURGH AT DETROIT, 800 PM ET - Page 11 Vote_lcap262%GAME DAY: SCP '09, FRIDAY JUNE 12, STANLEY CUP FINAL--PITTSBURGH AT DETROIT, 800 PM ET - Page 11 Vote_rcap2 62% [ 8 ]
GAME DAY: SCP '09, FRIDAY JUNE 12, STANLEY CUP FINAL--PITTSBURGH AT DETROIT, 800 PM ET - Page 11 Vote_lcap238%GAME DAY: SCP '09, FRIDAY JUNE 12, STANLEY CUP FINAL--PITTSBURGH AT DETROIT, 800 PM ET - Page 11 Vote_rcap2 38% [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 13

Go down  Message [Page 11 of 11]

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder
I've very surprised with this coming from two real standup guys. I realize they're upset, but come on...

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
SpezDispenser wrote:I've very surprised with this coming from two real standup guys. I realize they're upset, but come on...
As far as I can tell, it's been Draper that's been doing all the talking to the Press.

Hockeyhero22000

Veteran
Veteran
davetherave wrote:
Crosby eventually skated over to shake hands with the Red Wings, but many had already headed for the dressing room. Detroit forward Johan Franzen and Crosby exchanged words and Crosby then shook hands with goaltender Chris Osgood and some other Detroit players.

So who snubbed who?

when i said you siad the wings snubbed them i was refering to this line which implies you think there may have been a snub by the wings

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star
Hockeyhero22000 wrote:
davetherave wrote:

So who snubbed who?

when i said you siad the wings snubbed them i was refering to this line which implies you think there may have been a snub by the wings

Really? Can you explain how my question implies anything except that the assumption and attribution of a snub is questionable?

HH, watch the video, my friend.

Anyway, there are far more interesting stories related to Game Seven and the series.

--->

Like, WHY and HOW the Penguins beat the Red Wings.

IMHO, after watching the Ducks and Hawks pound Detroit, it's fair to say the Wings were, by the time they met the Pens, as Mike Babc0ck said in his press conference, "all taped up".

One can say Detroit can attribute its victories in this series to their unique combination of skill, their system and their discipline...not to mention the Champions' will to win.

But surgery to Lidstrom and Ericsson, Rafalski playing as if he was hurt, and Datsyuk's broken foot could be cited as reasons why the Wings were unable to execute at 100 per cent for the duration of the seven games.

However, how does one explain the lack of production in the Finals from Franzen, Holmstrom, Hudler and Hossa?

The mental errors by Brad Stuart which led to both Pens goals in the finale?

The decision to take Justin Abdelkader out of the lineup, when the youngster was far more effective than Draper?

There are surely a number of questions Ken Holland and Mike Babc0ck will be discussing shortly, as the Wings head into next season facing some new challenges.

Having gone to the SCFs two years running, the wear and tear on the team which manifested itself this past season is sure to have a residual effect next season.

Many players who have been key, like Holmstrom, Draper, Maltby, Rafalski, Lidstrom and Osgood, are over 35, in what is increasingly a 'young man's game'.

Who replaces them?

There are free agent questions and issues of rotating in new personnel.

All in all, the end of the 2008-09 season and playoffs may be a bitter one for the Wings and their fans, but it underlines the difficulty of winning successive championships.

And it may signal changes to come in Detroit...

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
davetherave wrote:
Hockeyhero22000 wrote:"Crosby eventually skated over to shake hands with the Red Wings, but many had already headed for the dressing room."

dtr you say that there may have been a snub by the wings but losing the cup despite winning the year before does not encourage the team of the wings to stand around and wait for crosby to eventually come over as stated above may just be the media overplaying too crosby needs to do something or he will look like an A$$

HH, you didn't see the video clip, did you?

Yet you are ready to make a judgement.

Well, you CAN look at the video clip of the handshake line. Right here.
http://penguins.nhl.tv/team/console.jsp?id=43746

The whole clip--which lasts less than two minutes--shows Lidstrom and Draper waiting at the front of the line, and the Penguins skate over.

A minute and fifteen seconds into the handshaking, Lidstrom, Draper and Cleary skate away while the rest of their teammates shake hands with the Pens.

Crosby arrives about fifteen seconds later, and shakes all the remaining Wings' hands...including Zetterberg's.

So Lidstrom and Draper couldn't wait to leave the ice, eh?

And before you accuse me of saying 'there may have been a snub by the Wings'...first of all I said NO such thing.

I suggested you re-read my post, and the article, carefully.

I now suggest you look at the video.

Then you can make up your own mind, instead of relying on a third-hand report of a Wings player who was logically upset at losing.

Lidstrom, as the Captain, was at the head of his line' Crosby, as his team's Captain, was nowhere to be seen. There's certain etiquette that just wasn't followed. The team Captain *must* make sure that his team-mates are lined up in an acceptable amount of time. When the rest of the team is there but the Captain is not, something is not quite right. And it's really up to Crosby to step up and put this to rest, not some team spokesperson.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star
Whatever. Tempest in teapot, perhaps?

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran
the wings was definately beat up look back at the list that spezdispenser put up and in game seven the wings definately looked like a team that was hurting they didnt play their game until the third when it was already too late

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran
SpezDispenser wrote:Lidstrom has surgery during the playoffs after getting speared in the testicles by Chicago's Sharp.

Unbelievable. I thought he looked human, but I attributed it to his age etc., now this comes out and he's once again the best D-man in the world by far.

Wow. :00:

- Datsyuk (broken foot and charley horse)
- Zetterberg (both hands)
- Ericsson (appendix surgery)
- Lidström (testicle surgery) - wow
- Cleary (Groin)
- Draper (Neck and groin)
- Lilja (long time head injury)
- Kopecky (Broken bones in face)
- Rafalski (herniated disc in his back)

How did the Wings get to a Game 7? Seriously? They should have been out long ago with those injuries.

here is the list so you dont actually have to go looking for it

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
I haven't been around for a while but I'll take my bows now Smile.

Winner of the pool and I also succesfully predicted the Pens win before the final started. Thank you thank you.

- Unknown Author

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
davetherave wrote:Whatever. Tempest in teapot, perhaps?

For some reason I just can't let this one go. I re-watched it again this morning. He's the freakin' team Captain. It's *his* job to make sure the celebrating doesn't get too carried away, and to round up the team for the ceremonial handshake. Just before the line started the play-by-play guy (Hughson?) reminded everyone that the handshake after the series is one of the most special and revered hockey traditions out there. Seriously, I think he should have been keeping an eye out and, when he saw the Detroit players lining up, he should ave been first in line. I don't care how many interviews Uncle Gary has got lined up for him, they can all wait 2 minutes.

Maybe that's why you don't usually see a 19 year old made team Captain. It was a mistake, and the only thing he could do was to say "Bad on me, and it won't happen again." I'm sure he won't let this happen again, but he still could have owned up to the responsibility.

It's not just a letter. It's not just a handshake.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Cap'n Clutch wrote:I haven't been around for a while but I'll take my bows now Smile.

Winner of the pool and I also succesfully predicted the Pens win before the final started. Thank you thank you.

LOL. That's not a bad N4L impersonation. Pretty good!

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
wprager wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:I haven't been around for a while but I'll take my bows now Smile.

LOL. That's not a bad N4L impersonation. Pretty good!

I try. I do a pretty good wprager impression as well.

I hate [Insert Any GMHockey.com change here] change it back. 🇬🇬. LOL. Just kidding dude, I appreciate the feedback.

- Unknown Author

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Hey, I must be the only guy with a slow PC, Firefox and a small (by today's standards) 4:3 CRT monitor. Stuff just sticks to me Sad

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star
Penguins-Wings finale is most-watched NHL game since 1973

NEW YORK (AP/SI.COM) -- Game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals is the most-watched NHL game in 36 years.

The
Pittsburgh Penguins' championship-clinching 2-1 win over the Detroit Red Wings on NBC on Friday night averaged 8 million viewers.

The network said Monday that's the most since Game 6 of the 1973 Stanley Cup finals between Montreal and Chicago.

Game 7 earned a 4.3 rating and 8 share. It was the highest rating for a series-ending game since Game 7 of the 2003 Anaheim-New Jersey series.

The rating is the percentage of all homes with televisions tuned into a program, while the share is the percentage of all TVs in use at the time.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
davetherave wrote:Penguins-Wings finale is most-watched NHL game since 1973

NEW YORK (AP/SI.COM) -- Game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals is the most-watched NHL game in 36 years.

The
Pittsburgh Penguins' championship-clinching 2-1 win over the Detroit Red Wings on NBC on Friday night averaged 8 million viewers.

The network said Monday that's the most since Game 6 of the 1973 Stanley Cup finals between Montreal and Chicago.

Game 7 earned a 4.3 rating and 8 share. It was the highest rating for a series-ending game since Game 7 of the 2003 Anaheim-New Jersey series.

The rating is the percentage of all homes with televisions tuned into a program, while the share is the percentage of all TVs in use at the time.

Now those are some numbers you can take to the bank. 8 million viewers is not bad. And you can also argue that in many of those cases it was not just some Joe Sixpack sitting by himself, but the Joe Sixpack who has a large screen and two extra cases of beer on ice, with a bunch of his buddies.

While an 8 share will still pretty much guarantee cancellation of a scripted show, those are some great numbers for NHL on American television. This bodes well for next year. If the NHL was smart, they'd set up several "Heritage" games to be played outside -- those ones usually go over well with NBC. And while they're at it, condense the schedule so that there is less overlap with the NBA playoffs.

Finally, how about a partnership with the NBA including some cross-marketing (a remake of the "Nothing but net" spots with Ovechkin and Lebron, perhaps?) culminating in non-verlapping game times for the portion of the playoffs that do overlap. Imagine a 3PM NBA playoff game followed by an 8PM NHL game, or vice versa. Maybe alternate, maybe, who knows, just do it (another plug).

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 11 of 11]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum