Garmin Nuvi 255w automotive GPS

shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Number of posts : 31416
    Location : I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-12

Garmin Nuvi 255w automotive GPS

Post by shabbs on Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:04 pm

We're planning a trip out East this summer and will be doing a lot of day trips to areas and cities we're not too familiar with. I figured a GPS would be a nice tool to have for the road trip. I picked up the Garmin Nuvi 255w ($219) today and gave it a spin around the city. Very impressed so far and it's a good basic GPS unit. Nothing fancy (no Bluetooth or MP3 or Traffic updates etc...) but it does do Text To Speech and has a nice 4.3" widescreen display.

Here's the unit I got:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134&pID=13431

I've uploaded some custom vehicle images as well as some various voices to choose from (all free from Garmin). There are quite a few web sites where you can download bundes that have collections of Points Of Interest like all the Tim Horton's or TD Bank's etc... very useful when travelling in an unfamiliar part of the countr.

Anyone esle have any GPS units? I'm curious to get their feedback. I did a bit of research on a number of units and the Garmin 2x5 series seems to be getting very good reviews for quality of build and support.

So far... so good.
    The Silfer Server
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 2270
    Registration date : 2008-10-14

Re: Garmin Nuvi 255w automotive GPS

Post by The Silfer Server on Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:33 pm

My brothers and I bought my dad a Tomtom GO 730 for christmas this past year. My father is completely computer illiterate, but absolutely loves the thing, and praises it to pretty much everyone he meets.

He just recently added European maps to it, via expandable memory, but had a little trouble doing so, as he is not savvy with computers at all. After a bit of deliberation on my part, we managed to fix the problem.

He seems to love it so far, but we have not been able to see whether or not the European maps have worked. It will not let us access them in North America for some reason. He's going to Europe at the end of the week, so hopefully it will work. I'll let you know how it goes.

And Shabbs, if you need any help or have any questions about Atlantic Canada, just ask... I'll do my best to help... And if I can't, I'm sure one of SensFan71, Caissie, HockeyHero, or Cronie should have the answer!
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 47611
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by wprager on Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:35 pm

TigerDirect.ca has this for $199.95 (or a refurb for $20 less). Maybe you can get a price-match.
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Post by shabbs on Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:35 pm

wprager wrote:TigerDirect.ca has this for $199.95 (or a refurb for $20 less). Maybe you can get a price-match.
    Hot damn! I'll be getting that discount...
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Post by shabbs on Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:37 pm

Bass Destruction wrote:And Shabbs, if you need any help or have any questions about Atlantic Canada, just ask... I'll do my best to help... And if I can't, I'm sure one of SensFan71, Caissie, HockeyHero, or Cronie should have the answer!
    Sweet. We're going with another couple who's family has a cottage right on the beach with a sweet ocean view... should be wicked. Looking forward to it.
    smash88
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 1354
    Registration date : 2008-09-26

Post by smash88 on Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:06 pm

Yeah I have the Nuvi 250W... The only difference is the text to speech, in other words it will say "turn at next right" instead of the actual street name...

It's a great little gadget... I'd recommend it to anybody...
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Post by shabbs on Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:51 pm

For those with GPS units, the site POIFriend is very good for downloadable Points Of Interest:

http://www.poifriend.com/

They have a lot of official bundles from Tim Horton's, Canadian Tire, RBC, CIBC etc...

Very cool stuff, and free.
    Acrobat
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 1565
    Registration date : 2008-08-06

Post by Acrobat on Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:48 pm

Bass Destruction wrote:My brothers and I bought my dad a Tomtom GO 730 for christmas this past year. My father is completely computer illiterate, but absolutely loves the thing, and praises it to pretty much everyone he meets.

He just recently added European maps to it, via expandable memory, but had a little trouble doing so, as he is not savvy with computers at all. After a bit of deliberation on my part, we managed to fix the problem.

He seems to love it so far, but we have not been able to see whether or not the European maps have worked. It will not let us access them in North America for some reason. He's going to Europe at the end of the week, so hopefully it will work. I'll let you know how it goes.

And Shabbs, if you need any help or have any questions about Atlantic Canada, just ask... I'll do my best to help... And if I can't, I'm sure one of SensFan71, Caissie, HockeyHero, or Cronie should have the answer!

with some of the others, you can access the other countries only if you turn off the GPS function, and put it into "simulation" mode (i.e. you can view and manipulate the maps, but it can't tell you where you are or how to get to somewhere)
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:42 pm

The Source (Radio Shack) has this model on for $190, but the flyer says something like "Hurry, they won't last long".
    The Silfer Server
    Veteran
    Veteran

Post by The Silfer Server on Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:43 pm

Acrobat wrote:
    Bass Destruction wrote:My brothers and I bought my dad a Tomtom GO 730 for christmas this past year. My father is completely computer illiterate, but absolutely loves the thing, and praises it to pretty much everyone he meets.

with some of the others, you can access the other countries only if you turn off the GPS function, and put it into "simulation" mode (i.e. you can view and manipulate the maps, but it can't tell you where you are or how to get to somewhere)

Cool, thanks for the tip!
    The Silfer Server
    Veteran
    Veteran

Post by The Silfer Server on Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:44 pm

For the Tomtom, there is an option to have John Cleese as the voice... But you do have to pay extra. I think it would be hilarious
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Post by shabbs on Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:24 pm

Bass Destruction wrote:For the Tomtom, there is an option to have John Cleese as the voice... But you do have to pay extra. I think it would be hilarious
    There's a Homer Simpson one for the TomTom as well. I think that would be funny for the first hour of a trip... and then not so funny.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:52 pm

shabbs wrote:We're planning a trip out East this summer and will be doing a lot of day trips to areas and cities we're not too familiar with. I figured a GPS would be a nice tool to have for the road trip. I picked up the Garmin Nuvi 255w ($219) today and gave it a spin around the city. Very impressed so far and it's a good basic GPS unit. Nothing fancy (no Bluetooth or MP3 or Traffic updates etc...) but it does do Text To Speech and has a nice 4.3" widescreen display.

Here's the unit I got:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134&pID=13431

I've uploaded some custom vehicle images as well as some various voices to choose from (all free from Garmin). There are quite a few web sites where you can download bundes that have collections of Points Of Interest like all the Tim Horton's or TD Bank's etc... very useful when travelling in an unfamiliar part of the countr.

Anyone esle have any GPS units? I'm curious to get their feedback. I did a bit of research on a number of units and the Garmin 2x5 series seems to be getting very good reviews for quality of build and support.

So far... so good.

Went searching for the more-recent thread where I was asking about GPS and found this one instead. I got my wife the 265W and, wow, that $219 is only 18 months ago -- I got the 265W for about half that price a couple of weeks ago.

shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Post by shabbs on Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:22 am

It's insane how fast these prices drop eh? That was a good price at the time too. 18 months in the Tech Industry is a lifetime... Wink

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:54 am

shabbs wrote:It's insane how fast these prices drop eh? That was a good price at the time too. 18 months in the Tech Industry is a lifetime... Wink

I just checked it now and it's $99.97 at TigerDirect.ca. I think I got it for $110.

So why didn't the G12 fall to half the price of what the G11 went for when it first came out? Oops, sorry, wrong thread.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:49 am