Garmin Nuvi 255w automotive GPS

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 47611
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Re: Garmin Nuvi 255w automotive GPS

Post by wprager on Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:08 pm

Well, that's different, then. And I can get the 2012 maps? Very cool. Must be tachyon-powered.

shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Number of posts : 31416
    Registration date : 2008-08-12

Post by shabbs on Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:36 pm

Yes. Yes, you can. I just updated my 255w to the 2012.10 maps. Sweet!

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:41 pm

TrendMicro disabled (it wasn't just the work VPN; it's something new they pushed on us). Torrent ... bitting? That's a pretty big file. Rogers does not appear to be throttling me -- why can't I get the same speed with Torchwood?
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Favorite Team : Ottawa

Post by wprager on Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:50 pm

There are three .img files and some other types in the torrent -- do I need *just* the gmapprom.img? That would speed things up a bit.

shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Location : I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Post by shabbs on Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:17 pm

wprager wrote:There are three .img files and some other types in the torrent -- do I need *just* the gmapprom.img? That would speed things up a bit.
    I updated all three .img files. The big one is the main map one. The other two are very small. I pulled it down pretty quickly... was coming in around 750KB/s.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:21 pm

While waiting for the huge file to download, I went looking for some more car files. On a lark, I googled "Millenium_Falcon.srt" and, surprise, surprise:

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=a9ceeac2e1e9b06e&lc=3082&id=A9CEEAC2E1E9B06E!416

I've downloaded the Enterprise and Voyager as well. They've got Simpsons, Startsky and Hutch, General Lee and a ton of other "real" cars.

shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Post by shabbs on Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:46 pm

HA HA! Awesome!
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:07 pm

shabbs wrote:
    wprager wrote:There are three .img files and some other types in the torrent -- do I need *just* the gmapprom.img? That would speed things up a bit.
    I updated all three .img files. The big one is the main map one. The other two are very small. I pulled it down pretty quickly... was coming in around 750KB/s.

I wonder, if I copy over the GMAP3D.IMG file if the functionality is there in the unit to display it.

shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Post by shabbs on Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:12 pm

wprager wrote:
    shabbs wrote:

I wonder, if I copy over the GMAP3D.IMG file if the functionality is there in the unit to display it.
    Do you have one on your device in the first place? I would only replace files that you have on your device.

Make sure you took a backup of any files you are replacing.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:02 pm

shabbs wrote:
    wprager wrote:
    shabbs wrote:

Do you have one on your device in the first place? I would only replace files that you have on your device.

Make sure you took a backup of any files you are replacing.

No, I don't. I have a feeling it wouldn't work, and it's not important enough for me to care.

I still hasn't finished downloading. I guess Rogers' Throttling Police finally found me.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:01 pm

Finally done. My car is now the Millenium Falcon! I wonder if the Terry Fox extension is on the map. It just got opened 3 days ago.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:06 pm

Nope, no Terry Fox extension yet. 2012, yeah, sure.

shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Post by shabbs on Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:18 am

wprager wrote:Nope, no Terry Fox extension yet. 2012, yeah, sure.
    Heh heh. Wait for the next update. 3 days ago? That's expecting a bit much...

Wink
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:56 pm

shabbs wrote:
    wprager wrote:Nope, no Terry Fox extension yet. 2012, yeah, sure.
    Heh heh. Wait for the next update. 3 days ago? That's expecting a bit much...

Wink

But it says 2012!!!

By the way, since I copied over those three files -- and added the Enterprise, Voyager and Millenium Falcon vehicles -- I'm getting Chinese characters at the end of the address in my "Recently found" list. Any ideas?

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:01 pm

Hmm ...
    http://www.poi-factory.com/node/13491
    Weird Symbols on "Recently Found" after update

Mon, 05/12/2008 - 12:11pm
    Waddling J

I have a nuvi 260 and recently updated the maps. I have also added Mandarin to my voices.

After getting the new maps, my recently found addresses came up very odd. They had partial names for some and many had what appeared to be Chinese characters after the name. Some did not appear to have addresses, yet when I pressed these names, they directed me to the correct places.

Has anyone had anything this strange happen to their GPS after the new update? I assume that as I go to new places, the weird things will be replaced by correct names and addresses (without Chinese symbols), but I was wondering whether I was the only one with a ghost in the machine.

Thanks.

... then:

I'm seeing these

odd characters in some of the POI files I've added. I think the use of an apostrophe is causing a problem.

...skipping a few replies to this:

The characters displaying on

The characters displaying on mine came from the Garmin update, not a third-party site. Also, no additional language packs were added to the GPS.

... and, finally:

This will happen every time

This will happen every time you update your maps. All of my 760's and 750 does this every time I install new map updates. All you have to do is delete or clear your recent founds and it will go away.I don't know why but it just happens.

Thing is, I don't want to delete my recently found list (or reset the unit as another post suggested -- that gets rid of all user data).

shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Post by shabbs on Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:18 pm

You can always go back to the your previous file if you wish.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:31 pm

shabbs wrote:You can always go back to the your previous file if you wish.

From that discussion it sounds like it's not the files themselves but the very act of upgrading. Someone suggested the upgrade reset the language preferences, but then why would you need to do a hard reset (push the bottom right corner while booting), which resets all user data, to change language preferences?

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:49 am

Poifriend.com gives me a "Error 403 - Forbidden". Anyone know if they moved? Tried googling and nothing.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:50 am