Brent Sutter named Head Coach of the Flames

    Share

    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

    Number of posts : 55209
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

    Re: Brent Sutter named Head Coach of the Flames

    Post by PTFlea on Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:54 pm

    davetherave wrote:
    SpezD, you haven't followed the process with the Devils and the relationship between Lamoriello and Sutter. The agreement was always that Brent would be allowed to review the situation with Lou on a yearly basis due to family considerations.

    You get 'two minutes in the box' for conjecture.
    Wink

    Oh really. That's quite interesting. I didn't realize that.

    davetherave
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 6803
    Registration date : 2009-01-22

    Re: Brent Sutter named Head Coach of the Flames

    Post by davetherave on Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:58 pm

    This from New Jersey...

    BRENT SUTTER NAMED CALGARY FLAMES COACH; LAMORIELLO DISAPPOINTED BUT NOT SURPRISED
    Rich Chere, The Star-Ledger, June 23, 2009

    Brent Sutter is the new Calgary Flames head coach. The Devils will receive no compensation for letting him out of the final year on his contract.

    Lou Lamoriello believes the Devils should receive compensation for letting Brent Sutter out of the final year of his contract to become coach of the Calgary Flames, but that was never a possibility.

    So, instead of insisting that Sutter sit out a year while still under contract, Lamoriello decided to move on. He granted Flames GM Darryl Sutter permission to sign Brent with no strings attached.

    "You know once you give consent, because of the new rules in the NHL there is no recourse and no compensation," Lamoriello told me Tuesday afternoon. "I certainly believe there should be compensation in situations like this for all the obvious reasons, but there isn't. That's a league rule and you accept it."

    Lamoriello doesn't believe Brent Sutter had this type of a defection in mind during last season.

    "I don't even think that way," Lamoriello said. "Certainly when Brent left it was for the right reasons in his mind. Only he could judge those reasons with his family and it wasn't something that came overnight. It was something that was lingering through the year.

    "Although we were disappointed, we weren't surprised. Then, when I did receive a call from Darryl to speak with Brent, you can go two ways on that.You look at the man and individuals and you look at the situation and do it for the right reasons."

    Clearly, Lamoriello is not happy with the series of events. In fact, he is unbdoubtedly shocked because Sutter was though to be his heir apparent in the Devils' front office.

    However, he chose not to hold Sutter to his Devils contract.

    "It's not something that is good for the game," Lamoriello explained. "You look at the commitments, but in this situation extenuating circumstances prevail. The thought was to allow them to speak. I didn't know what the result would be, but I knew there was a chance."

    That chance became reality Tuesday when the Flames introduced Brent Sutter as their new coach.

    "There was some personal things that he understood," Sutter said of Lamoriello during the press conference in Calgary.

    Some Devils players are trying to make sense of Sutter's decisions.

    "Obviously he enjoys coaching and wants to coach," Devils defenseman Bryce Salvador said of Sutter. "I believe he must've had some idea for a while that he wasn't coming back. Then the Calgary opportunity came up.

    "I don't think it was a decision made during the season or anything like that. I don't think he decided to quit and then hopefully get a job in Edmonton or Calgary. I think the opportunity just presented itself to him."

    So, does Lamoriello feel burned?

    "No. I never look at things like that," he said. "I look at the set of circumstances and the decision. I'm not angry. I'm just moving forward. And I wish him the best. I don't hold anything against him in any way."

    As for naming Sutter's replacement, Lamoriello said: "We've got to get through this week first."

    There will undoubtedly be hard feelings in New Jersey about Sutter's defection.

    "I don't know if that's been done anywhere else in the league," Salvador said.

    "Players can't walk away from their contract and go somewhere else. Obviously Lou still had his rights. That kind of shows you that it must've been a concern for Brent being away from his family."

    Of that, there was never any doubt. Sutter talked of being homesick for two seasons. Few people could blame him for leaving to be home with his family, but taking another NHL job sheds a different light on the situation.

    "That's what is surprising," Brian Gionta said. "He was struggling with being away from home and his kids at a crucial time. Obviously that situation coaching back there must work out better for what he was missing.

    "It's a little surprising. When he stepped down there was speculation. He has to do what is best for him and his family. If that's it, then I wish him luck. No one is in his shoes. Until you are, you don't know what would happen. It's tough to criticize. You hope it happened for the right reasons."

    There will definitely be some added feelings when the Devils and Flames meet on the ice.

    "Definitely," Salvador told me. "You always have those rivalries. It's going to be interesting."

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: Brent Sutter named Head Coach of the Flames

    Post by Guest on Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:59 pm

    Very classy.
    avatar
    davetherave
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 6803
    Favorite Team : Chicago
    Registration date : 2009-01-22

    Re: Brent Sutter named Head Coach of the Flames

    Post by davetherave on Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:00 pm

    Lucky Day wrote:Darryl Sutter said there were three key things he considered when choosing his new coaching staff.

    "Number one was leadership, [that was] very, very important," he said during a news conference. "Number two was structure and number three was detail."


    Yeah, the type of leadership that quits on a team in the middle on a contract, with a lame excuse, to go somewhere else. Heatley is a perfect fit in Calgary it seems.

    And for LuckyDay AKA Hemlock, a 'game misconduct' for jumping to conclusions. Wink
    avatar
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

    Number of posts : 31416
    Location : I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-12

    Re: Brent Sutter named Head Coach of the Flames

    Post by shabbs on Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:10 pm

    davetherave wrote:
    SpezDispenser wrote:Dude. Lou's definitely not pleased. He might not be showing it, but he's not impressed.

    Great for the Flames though.

    SpezD, you haven't followed the process with the Devils and the relationship between Lamoriello and Sutter. The agreement was always that Brent would be allowed to review the situation with Lou on a yearly basis due to family considerations.

    You get 'two minutes in the box' for conjecture.
    Wink
    Interesting. Well, if everything was "on the level" and they had an understanding, then he's given them plenty of time to find a new coach for next season. Better now than just before season starts.

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: Brent Sutter named Head Coach of the Flames

    Post by Guest on Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:12 pm

    Actually I agree with Hemi Lucky. I think it is pretty crappy to sign a long term deal, give someone your word, then say I am homesick right when my family member fires his coach close to home... stinky at best. (Brent was a former Islander too, so double stinky)
    avatar
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 49260
    Age : 56
    Location : Kanata
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: Brent Sutter named Head Coach of the Flames

    Post by wprager on Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:23 pm

    PKC wrote:
    SpezDispenser wrote:I don't know how I feel about that. Leaving a contract to coach another team? Good for him if he was homesick, hopefully it doesn't leave the Devils high and dry though (Tippett!!!!).

    Rumor is Jacques Lemaire might be considering coming back to coach in New Jersey.

    Rumour? Uh-oh.

    I'll bet that Sutter didn't leave without Lou's blessing.
    avatar
    hemlock
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 5005
    Location : Alberta
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2009-06-20

    Re: Brent Sutter named Head Coach of the Flames

    Post by hemlock on Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:32 pm

    davetherave wrote:
    Lucky Day wrote:Darryl Sutter said there were three key things he considered when choosing his new coaching staff.

    "Number one was leadership, [that was] very, very important," he said during a news conference. "Number two was structure and number three was detail."


    Yeah, the type of leadership that quits on a team in the middle on a contract, with a lame excuse, to go somewhere else. Heatley is a perfect fit in Calgary it seems.

    And for LuckyDay AKA Hemlock, a 'game misconduct' for jumping to conclusions. Wink

    Jumping to conclusions? Where? He signed a deal. He opted out of that deal before it finished, due to family or personal reasons, then before you can blink he's signed on with another team, one that employs practically his entire family? I don't care if he was to look at it every summer. A deal is a deal in my opinion. The fact that he's leaving to go to a team one brother manages, another scouts for, and a nephew plays is even more shady. I'll give Lou his props though, he didn't stand in the way. He could have easily said no, or flat out let Sutter sit for the year.
    avatar
    davetherave
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 6803
    Favorite Team : Chicago
    Registration date : 2009-01-22

    Re: Brent Sutter named Head Coach of the Flames

    Post by davetherave on Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:09 pm

    Zoolander wrote:
    davetherave wrote:
    Lucky Day wrote:Darryl Sutter said there were three key things he considered when choosing his new coaching staff.

    "Number one was leadership, [that was] very, very important," he said during a news conference. "Number two was structure and number three was detail."


    Yeah, the type of leadership that quits on a team in the middle on a contract, with a lame excuse, to go somewhere else. Heatley is a perfect fit in Calgary it seems.

    And for LuckyDay AKA Hemlock, a 'game misconduct' for jumping to conclusions. Wink

    Jumping to conclusions? Where? He signed a deal. He opted out of that deal before it finished, due to family or personal reasons, then before you can blink he's signed on with another team, one that employs practically his entire family? I don't care if he was to look at it every summer. A deal is a deal in my opinion. The fact that he's leaving to go to a team one brother manages, another scouts for, and a nephew plays is even more shady. I'll give Lou his props though, he didn't stand in the way. He could have easily said no, or flat out let Sutter sit for the year.

    Said Zoolander AKA Lucky Day AKA Hemlock, to Dawg's Wife:

    Like many husbands, myself included, when push comes to shove, I don't wear the pants.

    ---

    Mr Brent Sutter decided to return to Calgary to be close to his wife and family.

    Despite your declarations in an earlier post, you now call that a 'lame excuse'.

    Mr Lou Lamoriello, one of the classiest executives in hockey, obviously disagrees with you.

    Your 'game misconduct' upon further review, stands.
    Wink

    And, BTW, did you lose your sense of humour while you were in self-imposed exile in 'the minor leagues'?

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: Brent Sutter named Head Coach of the Flames

    Post by Guest on Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:12 pm

    Last time I checked, Hemmy wasnt an NHL coach, being paid millions of dollars. If he was, and he was in the same position as Sutter, I'm sure he wouldnt of left for Calgary.

    EDIT: Also, why are you actin like only your opinion is valid? You use a joke said by hemmy to make him out to look bad. Your self-important attitude already got Hemlock, one of the best members on this board, to leave because of your BS once, and yet you still keep up with the idiocy. I'm sure Hemlock isnt the only one to consider leaving because of you, I know I have.
    avatar
    hemlock
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 5005
    Location : Alberta
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2009-06-20

    Re: Brent Sutter named Head Coach of the Flames

    Post by hemlock on Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:33 pm

    davetherave wrote:
    Zoolander wrote:
    davetherave wrote:
    Lucky Day wrote:Darryl Sutter said there were three key things he considered when choosing his new coaching staff.

    "Number one was leadership, [that was] very, very important," he said during a news conference. "Number two was structure and number three was detail."


    Yeah, the type of leadership that quits on a team in the middle on a contract, with a lame excuse, to go somewhere else. Heatley is a perfect fit in Calgary it seems.

    And for LuckyDay AKA Hemlock, a 'game misconduct' for jumping to conclusions. Wink

    Jumping to conclusions? Where? He signed a deal. He opted out of that deal before it finished, due to family or personal reasons, then before you can blink he's signed on with another team, one that employs practically his entire family? I don't care if he was to look at it every summer. A deal is a deal in my opinion. The fact that he's leaving to go to a team one brother manages, another scouts for, and a nephew plays is even more shady. I'll give Lou his props though, he didn't stand in the way. He could have easily said no, or flat out let Sutter sit for the year.

    Said Zoolander AKA Lucky Day AKA Hemlock, to Dawg's Wife:

    Like many husbands, myself included, when push comes to shove, I don't wear the pants.

    ---

    Mr Brent Sutter decided to return to Calgary to be close to his wife and family.

    Despite your declarations in an earlier post, you now call that a 'lame excuse'.

    Mr Lou Lamoriello, one of the classiest executives in hockey, obviously disagrees with you.

    Your 'game misconduct' upon further review, stands.
    Wink

    And, BTW, did you lose your sense of humour while you were in self-imposed exile in 'the minor leagues'?

    Actually, I realized two things happened while I was gone. Like, I
    said, there is no place to talk hockey quite like this place, and two,
    I could care less about 99% of the stuff that you write. If you aren't
    posting entire articles here, when a simple link would do, then
    "turning it over to GM posters", you are constantly nitpicking on
    people's posts. Either way...it's not my worth time. This is of course
    just my opinion, if that's alright with you. I know, first hand, how you get when
    someone posts an opinion opposed to yours.

    Everyone is entitled to your opinion aren't they Dave?
    avatar
    hemlock
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 5005
    Location : Alberta
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2009-06-20

    Re: Brent Sutter named Head Coach of the Flames

    Post by hemlock on Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:35 pm

    The Guy With The Mustache wrote:Last time I checked, Hemmy wasnt an NHL coach, being paid millions of dollars. If he was, and he was in the same position as Sutter, I'm sure he wouldnt of left for Calgary.

    EDIT: Also, why are you actin like only your opinion is valid? You use a joke said by hemmy to make him out to look bad. Your self-important attitude already got Hemlock, one of the best members on this board, to leave because of your BS once, and yet you still keep up with the idiocy. I'm sure Hemlock isnt the only one to consider leaving because of you, I know I have.

    Thanks man. DancingBanana

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: Brent Sutter named Head Coach of the Flames

    Post by Guest on Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:39 pm

    :^^^^:

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: Brent Sutter named Head Coach of the Flames

    Post by Guest on Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:40 pm

    Zoolander wrote:
    davetherave wrote:
    Zoolander wrote:
    davetherave wrote:
    Lucky Day wrote:Darryl Sutter said there were three key things he considered when choosing his new coaching staff.

    "Number one was leadership, [that was] very, very important," he said during a news conference. "Number two was structure and number three was detail."


    Yeah, the type of leadership that quits on a team in the middle on a contract, with a lame excuse, to go somewhere else. Heatley is a perfect fit in Calgary it seems.

    And for LuckyDay AKA Hemlock, a 'game misconduct' for jumping to conclusions. Wink

    Jumping to conclusions? Where? He signed a deal. He opted out of that deal before it finished, due to family or personal reasons, then before you can blink he's signed on with another team, one that employs practically his entire family? I don't care if he was to look at it every summer. A deal is a deal in my opinion. The fact that he's leaving to go to a team one brother manages, another scouts for, and a nephew plays is even more shady. I'll give Lou his props though, he didn't stand in the way. He could have easily said no, or flat out let Sutter sit for the year.

    Said Zoolander AKA Lucky Day AKA Hemlock, to Dawg's Wife:

    Like many husbands, myself included, when push comes to shove, I don't wear the pants.

    ---

    Mr Brent Sutter decided to return to Calgary to be close to his wife and family.

    Despite your declarations in an earlier post, you now call that a 'lame excuse'.

    Mr Lou Lamoriello, one of the classiest executives in hockey, obviously disagrees with you.

    Your 'game misconduct' upon further review, stands.
    Wink

    And, BTW, did you lose your sense of humour while you were in self-imposed exile in 'the minor leagues'?

    Actually, I realized two things happened while I was gone. Like, I
    said, there is no place to talk hockey quite like this place, and two,
    I could care less about 99% of the stuff that you write. If you aren't
    posting entire articles here, when a simple link would do, then
    "turning it over to GM posters"
    , you are constantly nitpicking on
    people's posts. Either way...it's not my worth time. This is of course
    just my opinion, if that's alright with you. I know, first hand, how you get when
    someone posts an opinion opposed to yours.

    Everyone is entitled to your opinion aren't they Dave?

    YES! this is what annoys me the most!
    Tantrum
    avatar
    Nasty Nas
    Rookie
    Rookie

    Number of posts : 175
    Favorite Team : Pittsburgh
    Registration date : 2008-12-03

    Re: Brent Sutter named Head Coach of the Flames

    Post by Nasty Nas on Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:42 pm

    likewise. I don't mind the opinions at all but the full length articles in every thread are a little much and drives me up the wall.
    avatar
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

    Number of posts : 55209
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

    Re: Brent Sutter named Head Coach of the Flames

    Post by PTFlea on Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:03 pm

    Whoa, whoa. We don't need this. If you don't care to read what Dave has to say, then revert to this please:

    http://www.gmhockey.com/random-thoughts-non-hockey-talk-f5/the-ignore-feature-t903.htm

    Dave is a respected member of this group. Come on guys, we have to all respect each other.

    And if you can't, please use that ignore feature ^
    avatar
    hemlock
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 5005
    Location : Alberta
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2009-06-20

    Re: Brent Sutter named Head Coach of the Flames

    Post by hemlock on Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:05 pm

    SpezDispenser wrote:Whoa, whoa. We don't need this. If you don't care to read what Dave has to say, then revert to this please:

    http://www.gmhockey.com/random-thoughts-non-hockey-talk-f5/the-ignore-feature-t903.htm

    Dave is a respected member of this group. Come on guys, we have to all respect each other.

    And if you can't, please use that ignore feature ^

    I agree. I told you I would try when I came back. But there is only so much poking with a sharp stick I can take.

    I've said my piece to DTR. I'm done with him. I won't be making waves.

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: Brent Sutter named Head Coach of the Flames

    Post by Guest on Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:07 pm

    well considering he makes half the topics, we'd be ignoring alot wouldnt we? or maybe I simply dont understand how ignore works, I've never had someone worth ignoring before.

    Sponsored content

    Re: Brent Sutter named Head Coach of the Flames

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:28 am