All we have is each other...

    Share
    avatar
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 24783
    Age : 45
    Location : Cornwall, ON
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

    All we have is each other...

    Post by SeawaySensFan on Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:40 am

    With the latest rash of infighting, I began to reflect on the dodgy nature of the sources we draw upon.

    Certainly, we all know which "reporting" is the most suspect. The half-truths and outright lies can be a starting point for what generally becomes a well thought out and provocative discussion driven by opinion and our collective and individual astuteness.

    Now consider this. While we know to question or dismiss bloggers and the like, we may be less wary of the mainstream media. Then I read this in the Citizen. A reputable daily.

    http://www.ottawacitizen.com/sports/hockey/ottawa-senators/Heatley+remains+tough+sell/1726195/story.html

    The word "bonus" is mentioned several times, of course. As we know, it's not a bonus and any reasonable person would realize that no GM, in his right mind, would expect to have a 50-goal scorer for 4 million bucks. You'll notice too that Milan Michalek's cap hit has magically ballooned to 6.3 million bucks. The local media has been brewing a Wang of gloom and doom scenarios and questionable facts since the beginning of this whole mess.

    The bottom line is that we are, in fact, being shortchanged by the shift in journalism from sound reporting to sensationalism, editorialism and poor fact-checking. What we get here is full value for a product that really comes as advertised.

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: All we have is each other...

    Post by Guest on Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:41 am

    Technically the 4M is considered a bonus, otherwise it would be distributed throughout the year like the rest of his pay. In the grand scheme of the cap world it doesn't make a difference so it is really a red herring.

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: All we have is each other...

    Post by Guest on Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:44 am

    They actually call it a salary advancement.
    avatar
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 24783
    Age : 45
    Location : Cornwall, ON
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

    Re: All we have is each other...

    Post by SeawaySensFan on Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:45 am

    RobbyJ wrote:Technically the 4M is considered a bonus, otherwise it would be distributed throughout the year like the rest of his pay. In the grand scheme of the cap world it doesn't make a difference so it is really a red herring.

    Red herrings are best left to Agatha Christie. Which is exactly the problem. Journalists trying to create twists, intrigue and other literary devices where it just doesn't belong.

    It's actually quite reprehensible.

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: All we have is each other...

    Post by Guest on Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:45 am

    Thanks for the clarification. Can Brennan or Garrioch spell "salary advancement", bonus is much easier.

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: All we have is each other...

    Post by Guest on Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:46 am

    SeawaySensFan wrote:
    RobbyJ wrote:Technically the 4M is considered a bonus, otherwise it would be distributed throughout the year like the rest of his pay. In the grand scheme of the cap world it doesn't make a difference so it is really a red herring.

    Red herrings are best left to Agatha Christie. Which is exactly the problem. Journalists trying to create twists, intrigue and other literary devices where it just doesn't belong.

    It's actually quite reprehensible.
    That might be the first Agatha Christie reference on this board. Well done!!

    SensFan71
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 5649
    Age : 37
    Location : Dorchester, NB
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

    Re: All we have is each other...

    Post by SensFan71 on Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:48 am

    glad to see that the Sens will be giving a qualifying offer to Elliott is a given, that would be a huge blunder on their part if they did not give Elliott the due he needs.

    Edit: I typed it wrong, they will be, it hasn't happened yet.


    Last edited by SensFan71 on Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:03 am; edited 1 time in total

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: All we have is each other...

    Post by Guest on Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:49 am

    When did Elliott get that offer?
    avatar
    strachattack
    Rookie
    Rookie

    Number of posts : 475
    Age : 47
    Location : Toronto
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-27

    Re: All we have is each other...

    Post by strachattack on Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:51 am

    SeawaySensFan wrote:With the latest rash of infighting, I began to reflect on the dodgy nature of the sources we draw upon.

    Certainly, we all know which "reporting" is the most suspect. The half-truths and outright lies can be a starting point for what generally becomes a well thought out and provocative discussion driven by opinion and our collective and individual astuteness.

    Now consider this. While we know to question or dismiss bloggers and the like, we may be less wary of the mainstream media. Then I read this in the Citizen. A reputable daily.

    http://www.ottawacitizen.com/sports/hockey/ottawa-senators/Heatley+remains+tough+sell/1726195/story.html

    The word "bonus" is mentioned several times, of course. As we know, it's not a bonus and any reasonable person would realize that no GM, in his right mind, would expect to have a 50-goal scorer for 4 million bucks. You'll notice too that Milan Michalek's cap hit has magically ballooned to 6.3 million bucks. The local media has been brewing a Wang of gloom and doom scenarios and questionable facts since the beginning of this whole mess.

    The bottom line is that we are, in fact, being shortchanged by the shift in journalism from sound reporting to sensationalism, editorialism and poor fact-checking. What we get here is full value for a product that really comes as advertised.

    The media are too preoccupied in keeping an easy narrative that fits neatly into their column day in day out. Quite often, facts get over looked in keeping and maintaining this narrative. In most cases a negative narrative will sell more newspapers. This is also true in their coverage of politics. On top of that, if by chance Murray doesn't trade Heatley or gets a bad return the paper can continue their narrative and claim they were correct all along. However, if Murray gets at the very least a fair deal they can sensationalize it and make it look incredible given the tough circumstances Murray faced in trading Heatley.
    avatar
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

    Number of posts : 54585
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

    Re: All we have is each other...

    Post by PTFlea on Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:02 am

    I agree, there's nothing that makes me more frustrated than these guys getting paid real money to report on these things - and not taking the time to actually get the facts straight.

    All you need is a computer to find out the Michalek isn't making 6.3 million. And I assume they all have computers. Who cares what a player's actual salary is? The cap hit is what matters.

    And the even more diddled up thing is that people believe it. I know a few guys who are dismissing Michalek because of what he makes. I say...why, what does he make? And they say, 6.3, I read it in the paper!

    Come on. Facepalm
    avatar
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

    Number of posts : 31416
    Location : I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-12

    Re: All we have is each other...

    Post by shabbs on Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:08 am

    I think the key difference in this "bonus" is that it's not performance based and it's paid out in a lump sum on a certain date. Salary advancement is a good description.
    avatar
    Cap'n Clutch
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

    Number of posts : 13620
    Age : 44
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

    Re: All we have is each other...

    Post by Cap'n Clutch on Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:26 am

    The other thing that drove me crazy was the large number of people that were calling the last lockout a Strike. It certainly didn't garner support for the players.


    _________________
    "A child with Autism is not ignoring you, they are waiting for you to enter their world."

    - Unknown Author
    avatar
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

    Number of posts : 31416
    Location : I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-12

    Re: All we have is each other...

    Post by shabbs on Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:35 am

    The title of this thread reminded me of John Lennon...

    "All we are saying.... is give peace a chance...."

    Heh heh.
    avatar
    smash88
    Veteran
    Veteran

    Number of posts : 1354
    Age : 33
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-09-26

    Re: All we have is each other...

    Post by smash88 on Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:43 am

    shabbs wrote:The title of this thread reminded me of John Lennon...

    "All we are saying.... is give peace a chance...."

    Heh heh.

    Oh man that reminds me of the new Beatles Rock Band game coming out in September... That game is going to be so much fun!
    avatar
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 24783
    Age : 45
    Location : Cornwall, ON
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

    Re: All we have is each other...

    Post by SeawaySensFan on Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:45 am

    smash88 wrote:
    shabbs wrote:The title of this thread reminded me of John Lennon...

    "All we are saying.... is give peace a chance...."

    Heh heh.

    Oh man that reminds me of the new Beatles Rock Band game coming out in September... That game is going to be so much fun!

    September 9th!!! :##:

    Sponsored content

    Re: All we have is each other...

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:48 pm