Harry Potter breaks box office record

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 47775
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Re: Harry Potter breaks box office record

Post by wprager on Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:55 pm

Dawg's Wife wrote:I took my daughter and I'll say I was very very disappointed. I won't give anything away other than to say that they cut major parts out of the book (in other words didn't show key parts) which have a huge bearing on the story in this movie as well they set up the next 2.

Not to mention they rewrote several other spots, which caused me to sit and wonder where the movie was going until it joined up with J.K.Rowling's novel.

DW, that was probably my favorite book of the series. What did they remove -- I don't mind spoilers, you can PM me if you wish. I also tend to enjoy a movie more if I know of the short-comings beforehand.

shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Number of posts : 31416
    Registration date : 2008-08-12

Post by shabbs on Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:58 pm

SensGirl11 wrote:Taken = Garbage!
    BAH! All you Taken haters be gone! GONE I SAY!

Wink

C'mon... garbage? Compared to what's being offered these days... it's Ocsar material.

For those that didn't like Taken... did you enjoy the Bourne series?

PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 54285
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by PTFlea on Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:25 pm

shabbs wrote:
    BAH! All you Taken haters be gone! GONE I SAY!

Wink

C'mon... garbage? Compared to what's being offered these days... it's Ocsar material.

For those that didn't like Taken... did you enjoy the Bourne series?

I loved the Bourne series. The first Bourne was one of the most entertaining, sharply written, well acted action/thrillers I can remember. The other two were almost as good.

Now Bourne/Damon was a guy who was gonna kick some serious arse.
    LeCaptain
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 12030
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-01

Post by LeCaptain on Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:47 pm

Dawg's Wife wrote:I took my daughter and I'll say I was very very disappointed. I won't give anything away other than to say that they cut major parts out of the book (in other words didn't show key parts) which have a huge bearing on the story in this movie as well they set up the next 2.

Not to mention they rewrote several other spots, which caused me to sit and wonder where the movie was going until it joined up with J.K.Rowling's novel.

It's the sixth movie, it has been like that since the 1st one, I think it should have been expected,

I loved the books and I enjoyed the movies. People always make the same mistake, thinking they are gonna see the same story and stuff. It's just impossible, it would last 10 hours. And if you don't modify the story a little in a 2 hour movie, it would look like a total mess.

Anyways, Half Blood Prince was the best HP, I enjoyed the 5th movie I'm pretty sure I'll like this one.
    caissie_1
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 1579
    Registration date : 2009-01-27

Post by caissie_1 on Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:57 pm

Bourne = Excellent, Taken = Good!
    Tuk Tuk
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 1413
    Registration date : 2009-06-25

Post by Tuk Tuk on Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:09 pm

Taken was okay. Not the best, but pretty entertaining. Not really a movie that I would rewatch.
    Acrobat
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 1565
    Registration date : 2008-08-06

Post by Acrobat on Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:17 pm

Does anyone correct these box office numbers for inflation or buying power?

It seems to me that it was a lot harder for Star Wars to earn $100M than it was for The Dark Knight, if only because $2 Tuesdays now costs $5.
    Tuk Tuk
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 1413
    Registration date : 2009-06-25

Post by Tuk Tuk on Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:22 pm

Star wars(1977) is the second highest grossing film when adjusted for inflation.

Source:
    http://www.scene-stealers.com/top-10/top-10-grossing-movies-adjusted-for-inflation/
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 47775
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by wprager on Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:23 pm

They should also adjust for the population growth in North America, Europe and Asia.

Of course in those days, before you could rent a movie six months after it came out, people would watch a movie multiple times. What's the last movie you saw more than once in the theatre? For me it was The Incredibles. Sister-in-law was in town for Christmas and wanted to take the boys, so I tagged along, even though we'd seen it a week earlier. I don't think I saw any other movie more than once in a theatre (other than Rocky Horror Picture Show, but that's different), but some of my friends saw Star Wars more than 10 times. Same with Raiders.

Point is, we'll never get a true comparison because too many things have changed dramatically.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:59 pm