You are not connected. Please login or register

Flames sign Dawes

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Flames sign Dawes on Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:20 am

rooneypoo

All-Star
All-Star
Reportedly a 2-year deal, $850,000 cap hit per.

2 Re: Flames sign Dawes on Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:26 am

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player
The balance of power has just shifted in the West.

3 Re: Flames sign Dawes on Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:31 am

rooneypoo

All-Star
All-Star
I like Dawes, actually. And he could be a cheap 2nd-line solution for CLG after losing guys like Cammalleri and Bertuzzi.

4 Re: Flames sign Dawes on Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:39 am

wprager

Administrator
Administrator
Balance of power shift? 2nd liner? This is a guy that just got waived. By Phoenix, of all places. He's not a 2nd liner.

5 Re: Flames sign Dawes on Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:40 am

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player
wprager wrote:Balance of power shift? 2nd liner? This is a guy that just got waived. By Phoenix, of all places. He's not a 2nd liner.

Ok then. He makes everyone on that team a foot taller.

Better?

6 Re: Flames sign Dawes on Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:48 am

wprager

Administrator
Administrator
Seriously? 5'9" 190 with 15 PIMs last year, 10 the year before. He is not an enforcer. It's a depth move.

7 Re: Flames sign Dawes on Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:51 am

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player
wprager wrote:Seriously? 5'9" 190 with 15 PIMs last year, 10 the year before. He is not an enforcer. It's a depth move.

Ok. How about the Flames have just sent a strong message to their opponents in the Northwest Division?

8 Re: Flames sign Dawes on Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:53 am

rooneypoo

All-Star
All-Star
wprager wrote:Balance of power shift? 2nd liner? This is a guy that just got waived. By Phoenix, of all places. He's not a 2nd liner.

Dawes got waived because PHO wasn't willing to pay him and because they had too many forwards already, not because he's not a good player. Either you don't see the guy play very much or you're just looking at his stats, because Dawes is a player most teams want on their roster. He is a guy who gives you 100%, every shift of every game. He's got the hands to be a 40+ point 2nd-liner for sure. And in CLG, where everything is up in the air after Iginla, Jokinen, and maybe Langkow and Moss, the top 6 is pretty open. Dawes will compete with Boyd, Glencross, and Lundmark for 2nd line time, for sure.

9 Re: Flames sign Dawes on Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:55 am

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player
This move completely transforms the identity of these Flames.

10 Re: Flames sign Dawes on Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:56 am

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
rooneypoo wrote:

Dawes got waived because PHO wasn't willing to pay him and because they had too many forwards already, not because he's not a good player. Either you don't see the guy play very much or you're just looking at his stats, because Dawes is a player most teams want on their roster. He is a guy who gives you 100%, every shift of every game. He's got the hands to be a 40+ point 2nd-liner for sure. And in CLG, where everything is up in the air after Iginla, Jokinen, and maybe Langkow and Moss, the top 6 is pretty open. Dawes will compete with Boyd, Glencross, and Lundmark for 2nd line time, for sure.
So, then why didn't Phoenix explore a trade? Sounds like they should have been able to get something. Or are you unable to trade a player once they've filed for arbitration and they had no choice?

11 Re: Flames sign Dawes on Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:02 am

rooneypoo

All-Star
All-Star
SeawaySensFan wrote:This move completely transforms the identity of these Flames.

I can't tell whether you're being this sarcastic to belittle Dawes, or to just note how slow the news is lately (and I sympathize there). I hope it's not the former.

Look, Dawes is not a guy who's going to transform your roster or your reputation. But he is a good pick up, lots of heart and intensity and some hands, a top 9er for sure who will compete for a top 6 spot on that CLG team.

It's possible to like a move, or a player, without having to make a case for him changing the face of the team. This signing makes CLG a better team, period. Good luck to you if you want to try to quantify that.

A comparable for OTT fans (in terms of the effect of the signing, not the players or their style) is the Ruutu signing last year: a player brought in to fill a roster hole and a team need, and whose character and professionalism no one is going to question.

12 Re: Flames sign Dawes on Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:04 am

rooneypoo

All-Star
All-Star
shabbs wrote:
So, then why didn't Phoenix explore a trade? Sounds like they should have been able to get something. Or are you unable to trade a player once they've filed for arbitration and they had no choice?

Because they're an organization in turmoil? I dunno. I agree, tho', it was a curious move to put him on waivers.

And, yes, you can trade a player who's filed for arbitration.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum