rooneypoo
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 7429
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-11

Flames sign Dawes

Post by rooneypoo on Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:20 am

Reportedly a 2-year deal, $850,000 cap hit per.
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 24789
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

Re: Flames sign Dawes

Post by SeawaySensFan on Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:26 am

The balance of power has just shifted in the West.
    rooneypoo
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by rooneypoo on Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:31 am

I like Dawes, actually. And he could be a cheap 2nd-line solution for CLG after losing guys like Cammalleri and Bertuzzi.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 49260
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by wprager on Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:39 am

Balance of power shift? 2nd liner? This is a guy that just got waived. By Phoenix, of all places. He's not a 2nd liner.

SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by SeawaySensFan on Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:40 am

wprager wrote:Balance of power shift? 2nd liner? This is a guy that just got waived. By Phoenix, of all places. He's not a 2nd liner.

Ok then. He makes everyone on that team a foot taller.

Better?
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 49260
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by wprager on Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:48 am

Seriously? 5'9" 190 with 15 PIMs last year, 10 the year before. He is not an enforcer. It's a depth move.

SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by SeawaySensFan on Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:51 am

wprager wrote:Seriously? 5'9" 190 with 15 PIMs last year, 10 the year before. He is not an enforcer. It's a depth move.

Ok. How about the Flames have just sent a strong message to their opponents in the Northwest Division?
    rooneypoo
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by rooneypoo on Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:53 am

wprager wrote:Balance of power shift? 2nd liner? This is a guy that just got waived. By Phoenix, of all places. He's not a 2nd liner.

Dawes got waived because PHO wasn't willing to pay him and because they had too many forwards already, not because he's not a good player. Either you don't see the guy play very much or you're just looking at his stats, because Dawes is a player most teams want on their roster. He is a guy who gives you 100%, every shift of every game. He's got the hands to be a 40+ point 2nd-liner for sure. And in CLG, where everything is up in the air after Iginla, Jokinen, and maybe Langkow and Moss, the top 6 is pretty open. Dawes will compete with Boyd, Glencross, and Lundmark for 2nd line time, for sure.
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by SeawaySensFan on Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:55 am

This move completely transforms the identity of these Flames.
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Number of posts : 31416
    Location : I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.
    Registration date : 2008-08-12

Post by shabbs on Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:56 am

rooneypoo wrote:

Dawes got waived because PHO wasn't willing to pay him and because they had too many forwards already, not because he's not a good player. Either you don't see the guy play very much or you're just looking at his stats, because Dawes is a player most teams want on their roster. He is a guy who gives you 100%, every shift of every game. He's got the hands to be a 40+ point 2nd-liner for sure. And in CLG, where everything is up in the air after Iginla, Jokinen, and maybe Langkow and Moss, the top 6 is pretty open. Dawes will compete with Boyd, Glencross, and Lundmark for 2nd line time, for sure.
    So, then why didn't Phoenix explore a trade? Sounds like they should have been able to get something. Or are you unable to trade a player once they've filed for arbitration and they had no choice?
    rooneypoo
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by rooneypoo on Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:02 am

SeawaySensFan wrote:This move completely transforms the identity of these Flames.

I can't tell whether you're being this sarcastic to belittle Dawes, or to just note how slow the news is lately (and I sympathize there). I hope it's not the former.

Look, Dawes is not a guy who's going to transform your roster or your reputation. But he is a good pick up, lots of heart and intensity and some hands, a top 9er for sure who will compete for a top 6 spot on that CLG team.

It's possible to like a move, or a player, without having to make a case for him changing the face of the team. This signing makes CLG a better team, period. Good luck to you if you want to try to quantify that.

A comparable for OTT fans (in terms of the effect of the signing, not the players or their style) is the Ruutu signing last year: a player brought in to fill a roster hole and a team need, and whose character and professionalism no one is going to question.
    rooneypoo
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by rooneypoo on Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:04 am

shabbs wrote:
    So, then why didn't Phoenix explore a trade? Sounds like they should have been able to get something. Or are you unable to trade a player once they've filed for arbitration and they had no choice?

Because they're an organization in turmoil? I dunno. I agree, tho', it was a curious move to put him on waivers.

And, yes, you can trade a player who's filed for arbitration.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:40 am