Movie review thread

LeCaptain
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 12030
    Registration date : 2008-12-01

Re: Movie review thread

Post by LeCaptain on Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:32 pm

I've seen MOon. If you're in the 2001: Space Odysesy fanbase, you will enjoy. Otherwise, don't bother.

hemlock
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 5005
    Registration date : 2009-06-20

Post by hemlock on Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:39 pm

marakh wrote:I've seen MOon. If you're in the 2001: Space Odysesy fanbase, you will enjoy. Otherwise, don't bother.

Is it out already, or was it an internet grab?

LeCaptain
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by LeCaptain on Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:49 pm

hemlock wrote:
    marakh wrote:I've seen MOon. If you're in the 2001: Space Odysesy fanbase, you will enjoy. Otherwise, don't bother.

Is it out already, or was it an internet grab?

I've watched it at Empire 7 (Albert street). 2 weeks ago. I think they showed it for 3 weeks only, as I don't see it listed anymore. It was on a small screen though.
    Snuh
    Rookie
    Rookie

Number of posts : 293
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-14

Post by Snuh on Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:19 pm

Ya, I saw a trailer for it and thought it had a 2001 feel to it. I think Sam Rockwell is awesome, so I'm going to see it regardless.

Has anyone seen Choke? I read the book but I haven't seen it yet. I haven't heard good things either.

I saw a good "End of the world" type movie last year called Sunshine. Kind of like Armageddon meets Event Horizon, but without the suck.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 47784
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by wprager on Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:25 pm

Rockwell has got to be my favorite actor right now. Did you watch Matchstick Men? He was also "Guy" in Galaxy Quest, and the bad guy in the first Charlie's Angels. The guy refuses to be typecast.

LeCaptain
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by LeCaptain on Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:03 pm

Snuh wrote:

Ya, I saw a trailer for it and thought it had a 2001 feel to it. I think Sam Rockwell is awesome, so I'm going to see it regardless.

Has anyone seen Choke? I read the book but I haven't seen it yet. I haven't heard good things either.

I saw a good "End of the world" type movie last year called Sunshine. Kind of like Armageddon meets Event Horizon, but without the suck.

Sunshine is pretty good, I have it on bluray. Danny Boyle is one of my favourites directors.

Sam Rockwell was very good in MOon. The sound effects and music are awesome too. I just wanted more "story" in it.

Post by Guest on Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:23 pm

Snuh wrote:Has anyone seen Choke? I read the book but I haven't seen it yet. I haven't heard good things either.

It was soooo slow. Nothing happened. For such a busy plot, there was no high's, no real lows either though, but just well...snuh! Laughing3 :^^^:

If you read the book (which I did not), I don't think you will be happy with the motion picture. My reading friend was not impressed with the movie.
    LeCaptain
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by LeCaptain on Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:30 pm

I am still shocked how fas Public Enemies was withdrawn from the theatres. I didn't ahve the time to check it out, and with a cast like that, I don't understand the logic. The theatre where I use to go even had it only once a day during those 3-4 weeks it was on.

Post by Guest on Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:56 pm

One of my favourite movies of the year is Taken, starring Liam Neeson. It develops characters for a bit, and then launches into full out nonstop action. The only little quibble is Neeson trying to do an American accent the whole movie. He really wanted to lapse into his Irish accent. However, better than Kevin Costner in Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves .He did an English accent for about a third of the movie and then just bailed back into his normal American accent.

SensFan71
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 5649
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

Post by SensFan71 on Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:24 am

just recently watched the movie Push with the guy who plays Johnny Blaze (can never remember his name), was kind of hesitant of this one, but it did impress me a little, by no means is it an oscar winner, but for it to be "okay" and actually have a pretty interesting story line was beyond my expectations.

I also recently watched the movie Obsessed with my wife, what a eye opener that movie was, not saying stuff like that happens every day, but am thankful no temps come in where I work, mind you, the temps around here would not look like Ali Larter anyway. Sarcasm
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:37 am

Just wondering, what's the rating of Push? Is it a little too much for 11/12 year olds? We are a little strict with the kids' viewing, but they've seen LotR many times already. We cringe at language and realistic violence they cringe at the romantic content.

P.S. Just checked IMDB and it's got a G rating in Quebec, but then so did Beverly Hills Cop, with its copious amounts of colorful language and execution-style killing (back of the head of a kneeling guy), full-frontal in a strip-bar scene.

SensGirl11
    Mod
    Mod

Number of posts : 5050
    Registration date : 2008-08-13

Post by SensGirl11 on Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:42 am

We just watched Benjamin Button last night, and wow, they could really cut back a lot in that movie. It was really well done, but it dragged and dragged and dragged. I almost fell asleep watching it. I don't understand why it was so long, but the story was really interesting and different.

The best movie we've seen this year would be No Country for Old Men, one of the best movies I have ever seen, period. If you haven't seen it, I would highly highly highly recommend it.

Best comedy hands down would be the Hangover followed closely by Pineapple Express.

Worst movies we've seen this year are Taken (don't waste your time) and Funny Games (should never have been made).

SensFan71
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by SensFan71 on Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:45 am

wprager wrote:Just wondering, what's the rating of Push? Is it a little too much for 11/12 year olds? We are a little strict with the kids' viewing, but they've seen LotR many times already. We cringe at language and realistic violence they cringe at the romantic content.

P.S. Just checked IMDB and it's got a G rating in Quebec, but then so did Beverly Hills Cop, with its copious amounts of colorful language and execution-style killing (back of the head of a kneeling guy), full-frontal in a strip-bar scene.

well to be honest with you, G might not suffice, but well, there is no nudity, some implied sexual relations, but none of it seen, violence up the yin yang of course, but that makes the movie, very little blood though despite the violence. I definitely recommend not having this movie as loud as it can be if you have a surround sound system, you will know why as soon as the "bleeders" do their thing (which they were definitely not what I expected), this movie was a real different role for the normally "cute as a button" Dakota Fanning, she actually "gets" drunk and mouthy during one part of the movie, mildly humourous.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:57 am

My "surround" system consists of setting the "surround mode" on my TV's two front speakers. Sorry, I know that's blasphemous to an audiophile. In time, eventually. I might even consider getting one of those sound bars since the wiring is really simple, but my room doesn't have "regular" walls to properly bounce the sound. I'm kinda stuck until we finish the basement and create a true home theatre room. When's the next 6/48 draw again?

SensFan71
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by SensFan71 on Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:01 am

wprager wrote:My "surround" system consists of setting the "surround mode" on my TV's two front speakers. Sorry, I know that's blasphemous to an audiophile. In time, eventually. I might even consider getting one of those sound bars since the wiring is really simple, but my room doesn't have "regular" walls to properly bounce the sound. I'm kinda stuck until we finish the basement and create a true home theatre room. When's the next 6/48 draw again?

that is the extent of my "surround" system as well, I haven't gone that extra mile, it comes down to baby formula and diapers now vs selfish wants, I lose again, but I don't mind. Wednesday is the next draw, is it a big one? I never win anything, not even a free ticket, so not sure why I am asking :^^^^:
    LeCaptain
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by LeCaptain on Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:28 pm

Funny, some love Taken, some say it's crap. I personnaly enjoyed it, was focused during the entire movie.

SensFan71
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by SensFan71 on Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:30 pm

marakh wrote:Funny, some love Taken, some say it's crap. I personnaly enjoyed it, was focused during the entire movie.

haven't seen it, the trailers of the movie were impressive enough to get my interest. It's like Pelham 123, I just feel like I have to watch that movie and it's the same way with Taken.
    caissie_1
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 1579
    Registration date : 2009-01-27

Post by caissie_1 on Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:31 pm

Pelham 123 is a very good movie... I loved it!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:20 pm