Movie review thread

LeCaptain
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 12030
    Registration date : 2008-12-01

Re: Movie review thread

Post by LeCaptain on Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:28 pm

Funny, some love Taken, some say it's crap. I personnaly enjoyed it, was focused during the entire movie.

SensFan71
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 5649
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

Post by SensFan71 on Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:30 pm

marakh wrote:Funny, some love Taken, some say it's crap. I personnaly enjoyed it, was focused during the entire movie.

haven't seen it, the trailers of the movie were impressive enough to get my interest. It's like Pelham 123, I just feel like I have to watch that movie and it's the same way with Taken.

caissie_1
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 1579
    Registration date : 2009-01-27

Post by caissie_1 on Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:31 pm

Pelham 123 is a very good movie... I loved it!

SensFan71
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 5649
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

Post by SensFan71 on Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:50 pm

caissie_1 wrote:Pelham 123 is a very good movie... I loved it!

I can't wait to see Travolta as the bad guy once again, seems to do a wonderful job being the villain, Swordfish to this day is still one of my fave movies.
    Snuh
    Rookie
    Rookie

Number of posts : 293
    Registration date : 2008-08-14

Post by Snuh on Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:12 am

SensGirl11 wrote:We just watched Benjamin Button last night, and wow, they could really cut back a lot in that movie. It was really well done, but it dragged and dragged and dragged. I almost fell asleep watching it. I don't understand why it was so long, but the story was really interesting and different.

The best movie we've seen this year would be No Country for Old Men, one of the best movies I have ever seen, period. If you haven't seen it, I would highly highly highly recommend it.

Best comedy hands down would be the Hangover followed closely by Pineapple Express.

Worst movies we've seen this year are Taken (don't waste your time) and Funny Games (should never have been made).

I thought Benjamin Gump was a great movie. Most things David Fincher directs are great, and this one is no different.

No Country was awesome! Loved it! Coen Brothers do it again!

Couldn't agree more with Taken. It was CRAP!!!
    Hockeyhero22000
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 4062
    Registration date : 2009-01-23

Post by Hockeyhero22000 on Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:14 am

i loved benjamin button i didnt find that they needed to cut anything out most movies i find myself looking at my watch to see how long its been even movies i like but i never even looked for the time once

i also enjoyed taken but it definitely is a movie people either love or hate Ahhhhh! Ahhhhh!
    PKC
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 5817
    Registration date : 2008-08-12

Post by PKC on Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:59 am

Why has no one talked about District 9?

I just watched it...and my head is still trying to process the biblical amounts of awesomeness from that movie. Possibly the most original, unique epic I've ever seen. And yes, it can be described as an epic.

The story is so engrossing, so enthralling and captivating, playing on racial overtones with sublime panache that it's hard to believe that one of those districts actually existed -- they do, except it was called district 6 and it was located in Cape Town.

The acting in the movie is just tremendous in my opinion, especially the lead character Wikas. He really lives the character and it's almost surreal to watch him on the screen, because his skill makes you believe for about 99% of the movie that the events actually transpired.

But the best part of the movie, without a doubt, was the special effects. I don't think I've ever seen special effects and CGI that impressive. The aliens existed on the screen. The weaponry engaged all the related senses with authenticity. The human-alien interactions are so natural, you feel like you're watching a live feed off of CNN.

To say the least, this movie is phenomenal. It's a masterpiece of science fiction and will live on with the greats of the genre forever. But not only does it do that, it might also possibly re-invent the way movies of that kind are done.

The blend between documentary style filming and real-time action is so brilliant and so visceral you will most likely sit in your sit for the whole two hours with your mouth open and your eyes bulging out of their sockets soaking in the sheer scale of the movie.

For me, this movie is a 10/10. And if the Academy wasn't run by pillocks who only nominate artsy dramas, this movie would be nominated for an Oscar without question.

Go out and see this movie. You can't possibly be disappointed.
    Snuh
    Rookie
    Rookie

Post by Snuh on Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:04 am

PKC wrote:Why has no one talked about District 9?

I just watched it...and my head is still trying to process the biblical amounts of awesomeness from that movie. Possibly the most original, unique epic I've ever seen. And yes, it can be described as an epic.

The story is so engrossing, so enthralling and captivating, playing on racial overtones with sublime panache that it's hard to believe that one of those districts actually existed -- they do, except it was called district 6 and it was located in Cape Town.

The acting in the movie is just tremendous in my opinion, especially the lead character Wikas. He really lives the character and it's almost surreal to watch him on the screen, because his skill makes you believe for about 99% of the movie that the events actually transpired.

But the best part of the movie, without a doubt, was the special effects. I don't think I've ever seen special effects and CGI that impressive. The aliens existed on the screen. The weaponry engaged all the related senses with authenticity. The human-alien interactions are so natural, you feel like you're watching a live feed off of CNN.

To say the least, this movie is phenomenal. It's a masterpiece of science fiction and will live on with the greats of the genre forever. But not only does it do that, it might also possibly re-invent the way movies of that kind are done.

The blend between documentary style filming and real-time action is so brilliant and so visceral you will most likely sit in your sit for the whole two hours with your mouth open and your eyes bulging out of their sockets soaking in the sheer scale of the movie.

For me, this movie is a 10/10. And if the Academy wasn't run by pillocks who only nominate artsy dramas, this movie would be nominated for an Oscar without question.

Go out and see this movie. You can't possibly be disappointed.

Can't wait to see it. A friend of mine went as far to say that it's the best si-fi movie of the 21st century.
    Tuk Tuk
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 1413
    Registration date : 2009-06-25

Post by Tuk Tuk on Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:07 am

Is district 9 really that good? I've definitely gotta check it out.
    PKC
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 5817
    Registration date : 2008-08-12

Post by PKC on Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:21 am

Tuk Tuk wrote:Is district 9 really that good? I've definitely gotta check it out.

It's already #26 on imdb's Top 250 highest rated movies of all time. That pretty much says it all right there.
    Tuk Tuk
    Veteran
    Veteran

Post by Tuk Tuk on Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:34 am

Shocked!
    Snuh
    Rookie
    Rookie

Post by Snuh on Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:56 am

PKC wrote:
    Tuk Tuk wrote:Is district 9 really that good? I've definitely gotta check it out.

It's already #26 on imdb's Top 250 highest rated movies of all time. That pretty much says it all right there.

It was also done on a 30 million dollar budget, which is unheard of for this type of movie. Peter Jackson is the man!
    Tuk Tuk
    Veteran
    Veteran

Post by Tuk Tuk on Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:20 am

PKC wrote:

The more i think about it the more insane I realize that is
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 48176
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by wprager on Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:51 am

Snuh wrote:
    PKC wrote:

It was also done on a 30 million dollar budget, which is unheard of for this type of movie. Peter Jackson is the man!

King Kong is top-10 in the list of most expensive movies, so he knows how to spend 'em too. There is not a single name in the cast I recognize, plus the director also wrote the story. They probably saved a bit in salaries there. I also wonder if they got some breaks from Weta for the special effects -- maybe a cut of the profits instead of an up-front fee.

By the way, I'm thinking of checking out Alive in Joburg (the District 9 is a remake of this short-film by Blomkamp). Or should I wait to see District 9 when it's out on DVD (the only movies I see in theatres now are Potter films, with the boys)? In other words, is there a big twist at the end that would be spoiled if I saw the short version?

LeCaptain
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 12030
    Registration date : 2008-12-01

Post by LeCaptain on Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:40 pm

SO, I went to see that little movie called Inglorious Basterds. I can finally say tha Tarantino is, in my books, the best Director Alive and thiw was the most fabolous 2h30 I've spent in a theatre in the last 5 years. Man this guy can make a chef d'oeuvre out of any genre.
    Tuk Tuk
    Veteran
    Veteran

Post by Tuk Tuk on Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:42 pm

I saw District nine. I dont know what to say. It was incredible. Epic. Every second was enjoyable. Best Movie of the year, possibly of the decade.

Holy Dung.

Post by Guest on Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:47 pm

Yeah it was awesome. The key is to go into it with either no expectations or expecting to see the first movie of a series. Its a lot of plot development but I was into it from the first frame...
    Tuk Tuk
    Veteran
    Veteran

Post by Tuk Tuk on Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:01 pm

it definitely set a sequel up well

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content