Movie review thread

Tuk Tuk
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 1413
    Registration date : 2009-06-25

Re: Movie review thread

Post by Tuk Tuk on Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:42 pm

I saw District nine. I dont know what to say. It was incredible. Epic. Every second was enjoyable. Best Movie of the year, possibly of the decade.

Holy Dung.

Post by Guest on Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:47 pm

Yeah it was awesome. The key is to go into it with either no expectations or expecting to see the first movie of a series. Its a lot of plot development but I was into it from the first frame...

Tuk Tuk
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 1413
    Registration date : 2009-06-25

Post by Tuk Tuk on Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:01 pm

it definitely set a sequel up well
    PKC
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 5817
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-12

Post by PKC on Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:45 pm

marakh wrote:SO, I went to see that little movie called Inglorious Basterds. I can finally say tha Tarantino is, in my books, the best Director Alive and thiw was the most fabolous 2h30 I've spent in a theatre in the last 5 years. Man this guy can make a chef d'oeuvre out of any genre.

I could not disagree more...and neither could the full cinema that was in attendance when I saw it...I kept hearing the same thing over and over again "Why was that movie so long?"

It was like an alright movie, not bad, but certainly not great. Tarantino just seems to have a hard-on for long, winding conversations and scenes that go on for too Diddle long. For example, that name game they play in the bar where they write names of real or fictional characters down on cards and put them on their heads...why did that scene, which was nearly 35 minutes long need to be included? It added absolutely nothing.

It was stuff like that that annoyed me.

Post by Guest on Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:56 pm

I'll be going to see the movie some time next week, but I really believe that Tarantino is one of the most overrated directors of all time.
    LeCaptain
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 12030
    Registration date : 2008-12-01

Post by LeCaptain on Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:18 am

PKC wrote:
    marakh wrote:SO, I went to see that little movie called Inglorious Basterds. I can finally say tha Tarantino is, in my books, the best Director Alive and thiw was the most fabolous 2h30 I've spent in a theatre in the last 5 years. Man this guy can make a chef d'oeuvre out of any genre.

I could not disagree more...and neither could the full cinema that was in attendance when I saw it...I kept hearing the same thing over and over again "Why was that movie so long?"

It was like an alright movie, not bad, but certainly not great. Tarantino just seems to have a hard-on for long, winding conversations and scenes that go on for too Diddle long. For example, that name game they play in the bar where they write names of real or fictional characters down on cards and put them on their heads...why did that scene, which was nearly 35 minutes long need to be included? It added absolutely nothing.

It was stuff like that that annoyed me.

No offense to you and the other people in attendance, but If you go watch a Tarnatino movie I don't know how can you expect a movie without long conversations. I've certainly seen a lot of movies in my life and IMO there's not many directors that focus as much on characters and dialogues than QT. CLint Eastwood and Scorsese are very good at that too. The story doesn't matter, anyone can write a good story that can make an audience cry. The thing that I like about QT is he emphasizes a lot on the setting, the soundtrack, the acting, the camera angles and how the different characters interact with each other etc.

The LOTR trilogy lasted 12 hours (extended version), yet there's no character (except Gandalf may be) that I really like in that movie(or book whatever). IN QT's movies, I find the characters very charismatic and very entertaining. You love some, you hate some.
    I don't mind the length of a scene when its purpose is to develop a character (the bar scene, to introduce Diane Kruger)

To sum up all of that, I would say, If a producer gave DIrectors in Hollywood 10,000$ to make a movie, QT would make one of the the best, while Michael Bay would probably make the worst :^^^^:

Anyways, I think most Tarantino fans love that movie.
    Jordo
    Sophomore
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 675
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by Jordo on Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:09 am

I'm a huge QT fan and absolutely loved this effort. With regard to the storylines, that's just how he makes movies- and that's what makes him great. If you dint like his movies, don't go see them... You definitely know what to expect from his movies- huge emphasis on character, lots of gore, old
    school tunes, and different angles.
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 24763
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

Post by SeawaySensFan on Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:29 am

cas wrote:I'll be going to see the movie some time next week, but I really believe that Tarantino is one of the most overrated directors of all time.

Funny that no one ever crticizes him for being "derivative".

Post by Guest on Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:57 pm

They certainly are original... I suppose its just the genre in general that I feel is overrated (and he is at the forefront of that genre)
    SensGirl11
    Mod
    Mod

Number of posts : 5050
    Registration date : 2008-08-13

Post by SensGirl11 on Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:38 pm

Has anyone gone to see District 9? And if so, how much 'shaky cam' is there?

Post by Guest on Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:43 pm

couple seperate discussions about it on page 4 Wink
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 54300
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by PTFlea on Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:51 pm

No, what we were needing to know is if it's shaky and hand held like Cloverfield. We both get motion sickness in movies like that (Blair Witch etc.)

Post by Guest on Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:56 pm

I don't really remember too much of that...there's definitely some though.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:23 pm

cas wrote:I don't really remember too much of that...there's definitely some though.

But it's wouldn't be as bad as Cloverfield or Blair Witch, right?

Post by Guest on Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:28 pm

Definitely not that bad... Its more at the start than other times in the movie IIRC
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:32 pm

cas wrote:Definitely not that bad... Its more at the start than other times in the movie IIRC

:___: Thanks, we're off to see it tonight. Ahhhhh!
    LeCaptain
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 12030
    Registration date : 2008-12-01

Post by LeCaptain on Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:33 pm

SpezDispenser wrote:
    cas wrote:I don't really remember too much of that...there's definitely some though.

But it's wouldn't be as bad as Cloverfield or Blair Witch, right?

No, it's good. THe action scenes, compared to other action movies, are pretty smooth and are easy to follow. Not much handheld cameras.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:23 am

Diddle, that movie was awesome. Ahhhhh!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content