spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 10071
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

Can't we all get along???

Post by spader on Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:47 am

I joined this site a couple months ago because my initial impression was that this was a forum for intellectually motivated hockey talk. That seems to be going out the window lately.

I fully understand that people will disagree at times; that's to be expected. What I ask though is that we all make more of an effort to prevent the bickering and petty arguments from taking over. It seems like no one wants to talk about the game of hockey anymore and would rather take swipes at each other. If you disagree with someone, and we all will from time to time, just ignore the comment and move on. When you take the bait and get an argument going on the site, the site itself suffers.

Let's get back to discussing the game. That's what we signed up for.
    hemlock
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 5005
    Registration date : 2009-06-20

Re: Can't we all get along???

Post by hemlock on Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:34 am

I agree with what you are saying in theory. I, of course, am one of the guilty parties, so I should probably exercise better judgment sometimes.

Like you said, to expect that a site with 200+ passionate hockey fans to be sunshine and puppies all day everyday is a tad unrealistic.

To suggest though that "no one wants to talk about the game of hockey anymore" is an exagerration I'd say. First, we are officially in the dog days so the chat dwindles anyway, and second, there is plenty of chat, but alot of members who are usually quite active are focusing on the GM Sim game.
    Sens19
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 1213
    Registration date : 2009-07-23

Post by Sens19 on Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:08 pm

spader wrote:I joined this site a couple months ago because my initial impression was that this was a forum for intellectually motivated hockey talk. That seems to be going out the window lately.

I fully understand that people will disagree at times; that's to be expected. What I ask though is that we all make more of an effort to prevent the bickering and petty arguments from taking over. It seems like no one wants to talk about the game of hockey anymore and would rather take swipes at each other. If you disagree with someone, and we all will from time to time, just ignore the comment and move on. When you take the bait and get an argument going on the site, the site itself suffers.

Well to be honest, there hasn't been much hockey to talk about

Post by Guest on Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:19 pm

Sorry this is Ottawa. We are constantly living in the shadow of politics. We take our inspiration from Partlaiment Hill. Disagreeing with each other is in our blood. We are loud and raucous. We sometimes make personal attacks to get our points across. However, we all are Sens fans and we want the team to be the best it can be.

To use an old cliche : [i]If you can`t take the heat get out of the kitchen. Also, if you want to hold hands and sing Kumbaya, I`m sure any of the blogers of the California NHL teams would be happy to oblige.
    beedub
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 1036
    Registration date : 2008-08-12

Post by beedub on Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:21 pm

When there is no hockey stories of substance to discuss, just waiting, the natives will tend to get restless.

We have some excellent hockey minds on this site, so once the news starts to heat up, like Heatley to Buffalo (LOL), our attention will be re-diverted to where it belongs.

Patience, this goddamned summer is nearly over, and hockey will start again

Post by Guest on Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:23 pm

yes, yes we can all get along ...

Ahhhhh!
    Vandelay
    Sophomore
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 769
    Registration date : 2008-11-07

Post by Vandelay on Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:36 pm

If you ask me, the arguments are great for discussion. I have no problem with someone adamantly disagreeing with something I say. It only starts to look petty when someone responds with personal attacks. For example: If I say Spezza is known as a loser because he's never won anything (which is fact but even if it's not, it's a mute point), there's no reason for someone to make things personal no matter how much you want to bare Spezza's children...our social standing should carry no relevance in responding to another person's post. Bottom line: argument, even very heated argument is great. Making it personal just looks silly.
    TheAvatar
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 2728
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by TheAvatar on Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:39 pm

Yeah, I echo that. I don't mind the disagreements but the personal attacks must stop.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 54591
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by PTFlea on Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:59 pm

I thought I sent out a PM about this recently? Don't tell me we're back to personal attacks etc.?

That wouldn't be a good thing. Means we need more mods, more people lurking around with the power to lock a thread, more deleted posts and more PMs with problems that come to...you guessed it, me.

I hope we're all gonna chill until this summer is over and no one else stirs the pot.
    SensGirl11
    Mod
    Mod

Number of posts : 5050
    Registration date : 2008-08-13

Post by SensGirl11 on Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:03 pm

spader wrote:I joined this site a couple months ago because my initial impression was that this was a forum for intellectually motivated hockey talk. That seems to be going out the window lately.

Thanks for this Spader. You are absolutely right, it's getting to be a little much and our Hockey Topics are starting to go way off topic. I had my issues with certain members at one point, but the best thing to do, as you say, is just to ignore it and move on. If you really have an issue with someone here and don't want to read their posts, I'd suggest putting them on your ignore list. It works very well, the only thing is that if the person gets quoted, you will see the comment. At that point though, just ignore it.

I know that it's really quiet lately, and this whole Heatley mess is really starting to get to people, me included, but there has to be a way for us to try to move beyond that and get back to hockey. Training Camp is right around the corner, and things will start to pick up again very soon.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:06 pm

Yeah, I also don't understand why the Ignore function isn't used more.

It's the easy way to stop this rubbish infighting.

Post by Guest on Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:06 pm

How is this blackhawks news? Kinda getting anoyed with people posting this stuff in Sens forums, Hawks forums, just so it gets read and they get attention.

If I wanted to agree with everyone I would just make up 100 different names and agree with those. That's what makes the site fun, not agreeing that we are all Sens fans and should sit around in a circle, sing, then circle jerk to Spezza.

Vandy said it all.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:08 pm

I didn't notice it was. I moved it.

Post by Guest on Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:10 pm

I'm also apparently Sens news, very falttered by that.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:24 pm

I'll add that I've worked too hard with some of you guys to make this an awesome forum - I've been told the best Sens forum going - to have people who don't know how to use the Ignore Feature ruin it for us.

Not to mention the bickering back and forth that I can't even see because I'm not around 24/7.

This had better be the last time we have a thread like this.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:53 am