GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GM Hockey » The other NHL teams » General Hockey talk » Is this unusual?

Is this unusual?

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Is this unusual? Empty Is this unusual? on Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:29 pm

111519

111519
Sophomore
Sophomore
With two to three weeks before training camp begins, mid level players who could really help a team are having a hard time getting contracts. It is the first time I remember a situation where decent players may not find work. Is it just a sign of the times? Was it like this in previous years?

Players like:

comrie, schneider, tanguay, lang, afinogenov, calder, sykora, sydor, backman, boullion, pyatt, bergeron, sidenberg, sundin, pettinger, moore, etc.

2Is this unusual? Empty Re: Is this unusual? on Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:38 pm

Guest


Guest
The cap ensures that certain older or mid level players will be left out in the cold. Sprinkle in economic uncertainty and this is the result.

3Is this unusual? Empty Re: Is this unusual? on Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:43 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
It's called salary cap. They are still paying the "stars" as much as before (only limit is 20% of total payroll), free agency comes sooner, the "second" contract (between ELC and FA) has disappeared.

There simply is no room for these players (or certainly less room for them).

Now, in Comrie's case, he's not worth more than 1/3 of what he was making last year (somewhat due to his hip injury) but I don't know if he or his agent have come to that realization -- surely, if his agent went out and said that Mike iwll sign for $1.25M for one year, someone would bite?

Schneider is too old. I don't care what you say, he's too old. He's no Chris Chelios, but -- say it with me -- he's too old. Geez, these guys are practically my age.

Lang had a serious, potentially career ending, or at least career limiting injury -- a severed Achilles tendon.

Sundin is too old. He proved it last year, besides I don't think he has told anyone he wants to play, still.

Some of them, though, definitely, players who can still contribute (Manny Fernandez?) and are not on anyone's roster yet.


_________________
Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
- Dicky Fox

4Is this unusual? Empty Re: Is this unusual? on Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:00 pm

Guest


Guest
wprager wrote:It's called salary cap. They are still paying the "stars" as much as before (only limit is 20% of total payroll), free agency comes sooner, the "second" contract (between ELC and FA) has disappeared.

There simply is no room for these players (or certainly less room for them).

Now, in Comrie's case, he's not worth more than 1/3 of what he was making last year (somewhat due to his hip injury) but I don't know if he or his agent have come to that realization -- surely, if his agent went out and said that Mike iwll sign for $1.25M for one year, someone would bite?

Schneider is too old. I don't care what you say, he's too old. He's no Chris Chelios, but -- say it with me -- he's too old. Geez, these guys are practically my age.

Lang had a serious, potentially career ending, or at least career limiting injury -- a severed Achilles tendon.

Sundin is too old. He proved it last year, besides I don't think he has told anyone he wants to play, still.

Some of them, though, definitely, players who can still contribute (Manny Fernandez?) and are not on anyone's roster yet.

Chelios is your age!

5Is this unusual? Empty Re: Is this unusual? on Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:16 pm

Amnesia021

Amnesia021
Rookie
Rookie
I think we might see a big push for some of these guys at the trade deadline

6Is this unusual? Empty Re: Is this unusual? on Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:33 pm

Guest


Guest
Amnesia021 wrote:I think we might see a big push for some of these guys at the trade deadline

Quite possibly. Good point.

7Is this unusual? Empty Re: Is this unusual? on Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:06 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
hemlock wrote:
wprager wrote:It's called salary cap. They are still paying the "stars" as much as before (only limit is 20% of total payroll), free agency comes sooner, the "second" contract (between ELC and FA) has disappeared.

There simply is no room for these players (or certainly less room for them).

Now, in Comrie's case, he's not worth more than 1/3 of what he was making last year (somewhat due to his hip injury) but I don't know if he or his agent have come to that realization -- surely, if his agent went out and said that Mike iwll sign for $1.25M for one year, someone would bite?

Schneider is too old. I don't care what you say, he's too old. He's no Chris Chelios, but -- say it with me -- he's too old. Geez, these guys are practically my age.

Lang had a serious, potentially career ending, or at least career limiting injury -- a severed Achilles tendon.

Sundin is too old. He proved it last year, besides I don't think he has told anyone he wants to play, still.

Some of them, though, definitely, players who can still contribute (Manny Fernandez?) and are not on anyone's roster yet.

Chelios is your age!

Yes, I know that. By "these guys" I meant the ones we were actually discussing -- Schneider, Sundin.


_________________
Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
- Dicky Fox

8Is this unusual? Empty Re: Is this unusual? on Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:24 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
This is the tip of the iceberg. Wait until the big new contracts kick in and entry level kids come up. Guys like these (with the exception of Tanguay) are in deep Dung.

9Is this unusual? Empty Re: Is this unusual? on Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:28 pm

Guest


Guest
wprager wrote:
hemlock wrote:
wprager wrote:It's called salary cap. They are still paying the "stars" as much as before (only limit is 20% of total payroll), free agency comes sooner, the "second" contract (between ELC and FA) has disappeared.

There simply is no room for these players (or certainly less room for them).

Now, in Comrie's case, he's not worth more than 1/3 of what he was making last year (somewhat due to his hip injury) but I don't know if he or his agent have come to that realization -- surely, if his agent went out and said that Mike iwll sign for $1.25M for one year, someone would bite?

Schneider is too old. I don't care what you say, he's too old. He's no Chris Chelios, but -- say it with me -- he's too old. Geez, these guys are practically my age.

Lang had a serious, potentially career ending, or at least career limiting injury -- a severed Achilles tendon.

Sundin is too old. He proved it last year, besides I don't think he has told anyone he wants to play, still.

Some of them, though, definitely, players who can still contribute (Manny Fernandez?) and are not on anyone's roster yet.

Chelios is your age!

Yes, I know that. By "these guys" I meant the ones we were actually discussing -- Schneider, Sundin.

Oh I know, I was just poking a lil fun Wink

Sponsored content


Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum