You are not connected. Please login or register

» The other NHL teams » General Hockey talk » UPDATE The man who never gives up: Peter Forsberg--staying in Europe, for now

UPDATE The man who never gives up: Peter Forsberg--staying in Europe, for now

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 6]

asq2

All-Star
All-Star
davetherave wrote:Washington could be the Eastern team that goes to the Finals this year...

They won't be in first place, though.

2005-2006: Ottawa wins NE, are 1st place in the EC
2006-2007: Buffalo wins NE, are 1st place in the EC
2007-2008: Montreal wins NE, are 1st place in the EC
2008-2009: Boston wins NE, are 1st place in the EC

That leaves...UPDATE The man who never gives up: Peter Forsberg--staying in Europe, for now - Page 3 455378

davetherave

All-Star
All-Star
asq2 wrote:
davetherave wrote:Washington could be the Eastern team that goes to the Finals this year...

That leaves...UPDATE The man who never gives up: Peter Forsberg--staying in Europe, for now - Page 3 455378

Not so sure...Varlamov and Neuvirth give the Caps serious depth in goal, and Theo is in a contract year.

Washington is a very impressive team already.

Add Forsberg?

asq2

All-Star
All-Star
davetherave wrote:
asq2 wrote:

Not so sure...Varlamov and Neuvirth give the Caps serious depth in goal, and Theo is in a contract year.

Add Forsberg?

Yeah, that was more of a joke, although it is an interesting trend in the NE division.

Personally, I like Philadelphia's roster too much to put Washington over them. I would rank their forwards about on par (Washington wins in terms of top-end forwards, but Philly has greater scoring depth IMO) and I think their goaltending is about the same, but the Caps IMO can't match Pronger, Timmonen, Coburn, Carle, Parent, and Alberts.

It's going to take some development on the part of Green, Alzner and Carlson for their D to be on that kind of level, IMO.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star
asq2 wrote:
davetherave wrote: Not so sure...Varlamov and Neuvirth give the Caps serious depth in goal, and Theo is in a contract year.

Add Forsberg?

Yeah, that was more of a joke, although it is an interesting trend in the NE division.

Personally, I like Philadelphia's roster too much to put Washington over them. I would rank their forwards about on par (Washington wins in terms of top-end forwards, but Philly has greater scoring depth IMO) and I think their goaltending is about the same, but the Caps IMO can't match Pronger, Timmonen, Coburn, Carle, Parent, and Alberts.

It's going to take some development on the part of Green, Alzner and Carlson for their D to be on that kind of level, IMO.

Your comparison of the D is iffy. They didn't hold the fort against the Pens last year...

And you forgot the goaltending. Caps much stronger in that dep't. for reasons previously cited.

But that's a discussion for another thread... UPDATE The man who never gives up: Peter Forsberg--staying in Europe, for now - Page 3 Icon_wink

One wonders how close to being NHL-ready Forsberg is (and he really doesn't need the money)...worth keeping an eye on.

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star
davetherave wrote:
asq2 wrote:
davetherave wrote: Not so sure...Varlamov and Neuvirth give the Caps serious depth in goal, and Theo is in a contract year.

Add Forsberg?

Your comparison of the D is iffy. They didn't hold the fort against the Pens last year...

And you forgot the goaltending. Caps much stronger in that dep't. for reasons previously cited.

But that's a discussion for another thread... UPDATE The man who never gives up: Peter Forsberg--staying in Europe, for now - Page 3 Icon_wink

One wonders how close to being NHL-ready Forsberg is (and he really doesn't need the money)...worth keeping an eye on.

They made a slight modification to their defence in the off-season. UPDATE The man who never gives up: Peter Forsberg--staying in Europe, for now - Page 3 Icon_wink

It's much more iffy, IMO, to state that Washington is "much stronger" in the goaltending department than Philly's is. Varlamov and Neuvirth are good prospects, but hardly a guarantee. Neither is Emery, of course, but he does have a stronger playoff resume than either Washington netminder. For these reasons, I stated they're about even, given that they're both such unknowns.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star
[quote="asq2"][quote="davetherave"]
asq2 wrote:

They made a slight modification to their defence in the off-season. UPDATE The man who never gives up: Peter Forsberg--staying in Europe, for now - Page 3 Icon_wink

It's much more iffy, IMO, to state that Washington is "much stronger" in the goaltending department than Philly's is. Varlamov and Neuvirth are good prospects, but hardly a guarantee. Neither is Emery, of course, but he does have a stronger playoff resume than either Washington netminder. For these reasons, I stated they're about even, given that they're both such unknowns.

Pronger's good at what he does. Whether he makes a difference in GAA remains to be seen.

Emery and Boucher don't equal the combination of Theodore, Varlamov and Neuvirth, the last two being technically superior to both Philly goalies (if you watched them play, you know what I mean).

Varlamov's no longer a 'prospect', and he demonstrated that in the playoffs.

Emery's playoff resume won't stop any pucks. He hasn't yet shown he's fully returned to form yet.

Both teams could stand to be better defensively, no question. 238-245 GA last year is an infinitesmal difference between them, but in the bottom half of the Conference ranking. Then again, though, so were the Penguins...(as were the Red Wings in the West).

But we are waaaay off topic here.
UPDATE The man who never gives up: Peter Forsberg--staying in Europe, for now - Page 3 668437

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star
I've seen Varlamov play quite a bit. He's still an unproven commodity - as is Emery, obviously.

I'd say the difference on D is much greater than the difference in nets. Pronger is good at what he does, and he does everything.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star
From Tim Sassone at The Chicago Daily Herald today:

Believe it or not: Peter Forsberg wants to try the NHL again and reportedly would like to play for one of three teams: Washington, Philadelphia or the Hawks.

The 36-year-old former MVP is coming off multiple foot surgeries and is currently playing for Modo in the Swedish Elite League on a one-week tryout contract.

Forsberg, who has 2 goals in two games for Modo, cannot play a game in Europe once the NHL season starts or he becomes ineligible to return to the league he once dominated.

http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=324505
UPDATE The man who never gives up: Peter Forsberg--staying in Europe, for now - Page 3 Confused

davetherave wrote:From Tim Sassone at The Chicago Daily Herald today:

Believe it or not: Peter Forsberg wants to try the NHL again and reportedly would like to play for one of three teams: Washington, Philadelphia or the Hawks.

The 36-year-old former MVP is coming off multiple foot surgeries and is currently playing for Modo in the Swedish Elite League on a one-week tryout contract.

Forsberg, who has 2 goals in two games for Modo, cannot play a game in Europe once the NHL season starts or he becomes ineligible to return to the league he once dominated.

http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=324505
UPDATE The man who never gives up: Peter Forsberg--staying in Europe, for now - Page 3 Confused

Doesn't surprise me one bit. Any team not on the following list has no shot at him Imo: Those 3, .... that pretty much it.

I'd give an outside chance to SJS and BOS but I would be tremendously surprised to see him land in either of those two locations.

As for the inevitable "what about the Wings" question: old allegiances die hard.

From where I'm sitting, Washington seems like the most likely destination. They have arguably no second line centre and a glut of offensive talent. They also happen to have the modern day Forsberg already playing for them---Ovechkin. If I were a betting man, they would be my first bet.

Although he's never had success in Philly (team success) he was drafted there and they are as legit a contender as you can find in the East.

There's no room in Pittsburgh's top two centre positions and they are a fierce rival of Philly's, otherwise I would add them to the list.

Don't know how CHI would squeeze him in?..

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star
From Lyle Richardson at SpectorsHockey.net this afternoon:

DENVER POST: Adrian Dater recently reported Peter Forsberg has looked good in his play with MoDo of the SEL as he attempts yet another NHL comeback. Dater reports however the Colorado Avalanche aren't at the top of Forsberg's "wish list", preferring the Philadelphia Flyers or Washington Capitals. The Flyers apparently have no interest but the Capitals might be "intrigued".

SPECTOR'S NOTE: The Capitals have about $1.8 million in available cap space and I believe they'd prefer to retain that for later in the season for future additions as required. The Flyers lack the cap space so they're not interested, while the Avs are in rebuilding mode and probably have no interest in bringing back Forsberg.

http://www.spectorshockey.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=583:nhl-player-news-for-sunday-september-27-2009&catid=5:trade-rumors&Itemid=4

Last edited by davetherave on Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:33 am; edited 1 time in total

If you have the chance to bring in Peter Forsberg, you do it. I doubt cap space has any bearing on a teams desire to bring this guy in. If someone else has to hit the waiver wire or the trading block, thats what will happen...

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star
@CCGot>as the start of the season is just days away, one has to imagine the negotations have already begun.
UPDATE The man who never gives up: Peter Forsberg--staying in Europe, for now - Page 3 639591

Sp00nz

Sp00nz
Rookie
Rookie
Forsberg at best will produce slightly better than Sundin did in Vancouver.

Im sure that we'll be hearing about it all year but i really couldn't give a sh1t.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star
From TheFourthPeriod.com this morning:

Peter Forsberg appears to be playing like his old self again...

Forsberg, who is attempting another comeback to the NHL, claims he hasn't "even though of" returning to the NHL yet, but plans on reviewing his options this week.

"I will play my third game on Monday, and then I take a couple of days to evaluate which direction I will take," he said. "I haven't closed any doors, but my ambition is to play at the highest level."

A number of NHL scouts have been attending Modo's games of late to get a look at Forsberg.

The 36-year-old has stated in the past that if he returns to the NHL he'd like to play for the Avalanche, however it's believed he's willing to entertain offers from any club.

Providing he makes his return to the NHL, Forsberg is expected to sign with a Stanley Cup contender. He will be ineligible for action, however, if he plays any games overseas past Oct. 1.

In 706 career NHL games with Quebec/Colorado, Philadelphia and Nashville, Forsberg has accumulated 249 goals and 636 assists for 885 points, along with 686 penalty minutes.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star
Another report, this one from Pierre Lebrun at ESPN, just adds to the confusion/speculation:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=4510451&name=lebrun_pierre

Forsberg's future

Peter Forsberg is slated to play his third game for Modo in the Swedish League on Monday, but it may be his last one with them.

That's because any player who plays a game in Europe past the start of the NHL's regular season must then clear waivers if he wishes to return to the NHL.

Forsberg, who had yet another foot surgery in May, has no clue at this point whether or not he'll attempt an NHL comeback, but he might as well keep the option open for now.

---

So will he or won't he? It seems Mr Forsberg needs to decide quickly if he doesn't want to subject to the waiver process.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Flöppa is a fööl.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star
SeawaySensFan wrote:Flöppa is a fööl.
UPDATE The man who never gives up: Peter Forsberg--staying in Europe, for now - Page 3 668437 You should be so lucky...

http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2007/10/18/this-is-why-peter-forsberg-doesnt-need-the-money-ifwhen-he-comes-back-to-the-nhl/

The info. is this: The money Foppa makes from playing hockey now is PEANUTS compared to what he’s raking in from the sales of Crocs in his native Sweden.

Last year, Forsberg – through his business interest of companies he calls ForsPro, a branch of which, Pforce, distibutes Crocs in Sweden – needed to sell about 38,000 pairs of the comfy plastic shoes to “break even” financially. And how many did he sell through just HALF the year?

Almost 700,000 pairs, apparently And guess how much Crocs sell for in Sweden? About $90 a pair. I don’t know Foppa’s total take on each sale, but it’s safe to say he’s making money in the multiple millions of dollars – or, in Sweden, the Krona – just from that alone.

Forsberg got in with the Colorado-based Crocs in the beginning, and wasn’t that a good financial decision for him.

So, it is now clearer than ever that any decision Forsberg makes on which NHL team to play for this year – if his body allows him to – will NOT be based on money.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum