You are not connected. Please login or register

» The other NHL teams » General Hockey talk » UPDATE The man who never gives up: Peter Forsberg--staying in Europe, for now

UPDATE The man who never gives up: Peter Forsberg--staying in Europe, for now

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 6]

wprager wrote:
CCgotITcovered wrote:
shabbs wrote:Forsberg injured again... and it's his same foot... again...

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_13441038

Give. It. Up.

Diddle UPDATE The man who never gives up: Peter Forsberg--staying in Europe, for now - Page 5 812636

Should have gone for Max UPDATE The man who never gives up: Peter Forsberg--staying in Europe, for now - Page 5 Icon_smile

Should have gone for a player with a contract UPDATE The man who never gives up: Peter Forsberg--staying in Europe, for now - Page 5 812636

wprager

Administrator
Administrator
CCgotITcovered wrote:
wprager wrote:
CCgotITcovered wrote:
shabbs wrote:Forsberg injured again... and it's his same foot... again...

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_13441038

Give. It. Up.

Diddle UPDATE The man who never gives up: Peter Forsberg--staying in Europe, for now - Page 5 812636

Should have gone for Max UPDATE The man who never gives up: Peter Forsberg--staying in Europe, for now - Page 5 Icon_smile

Should have gone for a player with a contract UPDATE The man who never gives up: Peter Forsberg--staying in Europe, for now - Page 5 812636

Yeah, I guess. I had Max in my sights the last two rounds. Ended up taking Guerin and Leino, so I'm going to compare the stats for those three all through the season.

I'm also going to closely watch Regin -- I wanted to take him, even though I think both Guerin and Leino will still out-produce him (this season). I just wanted a Sen on my team.

I can't pick Sens players...its like a curse on them. Last year I took Gerber and look what happened UPDATE The man who never gives up: Peter Forsberg--staying in Europe, for now - Page 5 428331

Sens19

Sens19
Veteran
Veteran
boo I wanted to see him back in the NHL. Maybe that will make him realize its time to let go now

http://sens19-hockeytalk.blogspot.com/

Guerin and Leino are good picks... I really wanted to get Guerin before you took him because he'll be lining up next to Crosby and/or Malkin all season. Worst case scenario, he puts up 50+ points...

Leino is a beast. 2nd generation Datsyuk/Zetterberg....rich get richer... He'll also top 50 this season if he stays healthy.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star
From the New York Times today:

Forsberg’s Future Unclear After Sweden’s 7-0 Loss

It was a sobering ending for Sweden in their finale at the Karjala Cup tournament in Helsinki as they fell to Finland, 7-0 — and Foppa’s comeback with the Tre Kronor wound up a floppa.

Peter Forsberg said before the weekend that he would announce his plans for the rest of his season at the end of the tournament, but after the game he said he was still uncertain about what to do.

“I do not know,” said Forsberg, a free agent. “I have not made up my mind. We may give it a few days now. We’ll see what it is, how it is and if it is.”

N.H.L. clubs had begun to express feverish interest in Forsberg going into the tournament, his first appearances for the Tre Kronor since February 2006. It was also his first action since a brief early-season stint with hometown club Modo Hockey Ornskoldsvik in the aftermath of corrective surgery on his chronically injured right foot and ankle. Vancouver and the Rangers were the latest clubs to declare their intentions, joining at least three or four other N.H.L. teams.

But Forsberg, who is trying to make the Swedish Olympic team for the Winter Games in Vancouver this February, has thrown cold water on everyone’s hopes.

When asked if he’ll join a club in the N.H.L., K.H.L., or return to Modo in the Swedish Elitserien, he said, “I have to think about it a few days, so we will see.”

Forsberg scored no points in the three games of the Karjala Cup. He was unhappy with his performance in the tournament-opening victory over the Czechs, but thought he was better in the loss to the Russians that followed.

Against the Finns, however, he said, he thought he had regressed.

“It was worse than I thought,” he said. “It went a bit faster than I was prepared. My performance against the Russians was pretty O.K., I think, but today I was not good.”

http://slapshot.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/11/08/european-puck-forsbergs-future-unclear-after-swedens-7-0-loss/

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran
Peter, it's time.

beedub

beedub
Veteran
Veteran
Yup, only so much you can do when the game has overtaken you and passed you by.

Hang them up, and be remembered as a offensive force that once was

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star
Well, obviously Forsberg wants to play...he doesn't need the money.

To have to quit at an age where he still has the physique and the talent to do so, but his foot won't allow it, must be incredibly frustrating for a guy as competitive as he is.

Understandable, and actually pretty gutsy on his part. I guess.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star
Wait...the story's not over yet! From Lyle Richardson at SpectorsHockey this morning....

Has Peter Forsberg made a decision on his future yet? Which NHL teams might be interested in him? Are the Capitals close to a resolution with Michael Nylander? Read on for the details.

DENVER POST: Adrian Dater reports former Colorado Avalanche star Peter Forsberg isn't sure what decision he'll make regarding his future. He played without any great pain in his right foot in the recent Karjala Cup but not up to his standards. Dater believes Forsberg will try to give it another go with an NHL team but it could be a month or two before he does. He suggests the Avalanche might get first shot at signing him but aren't about to commit a lot of money toward doing so.

OTTAWA SUN: Bruce Garrioch reports the Senators due to limited cap space don't consider themselves suitors for Forsberg. It's believed he could seek a one-year, $4 million contract which would price him out of the Senators range but GM Bryan Murray plans to contact his agent. The Canucks, Rangers, Flyers, Kings and Avs could also make offers.

TORONTO STAR: Damien Cox reports the Maple Leafs aren't even slightly interested in Forsberg.

SPECTOR'S NOTE: Flyers GM Paul Holmgren denied interest in Forsberg, who as Dater suggested could be a month or two away from joining an NHL team as he evidently wants to get himself into better shape. His salary demands will also determine where he goes.

http://www.spectorshockey.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=697:latest-forsberg-and-nylander-news&catid=5:trade-rumors&Itemid=4

---

"The Forsberg Frenzy" continues...

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Who cares where he goes quite frankly. What did he manage to accomplish in his most recent stint in the NHL? He was a non-factor. Unless I hear something that would suggest a miracle cure for his injury woes that makes him look like a real threat on the ice then I don't really think he'll have an impact anywhere he goes.

No offense to anyone, including Foppa, but he's just not going to help anyone all that much if he does come back to the NHL.

- Unknown Author

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star
Cap'n Clutch wrote:Who cares where he goes quite frankly. What did he manage to accomplish in his most recent stint in the NHL? He was a non-factor. Unless I hear something that would suggest a miracle cure for his injury woes that makes him look like a real threat on the ice then I don't really think he'll have an impact anywhere he goes.

No offense to anyone, including Foppa, but he's just not going to help anyone all that much if he does come back to the NHL.

@Clutch> seems like a lot of people care, including a significant number of NHL teams.

Forsberg is a point a game player, no matter where or how much he plays. Check it out.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=1742

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Did he have an impact in his last stint in the NHL though? In your opinion? I just didn't see the big deal over him. Didn't he miss a bunch of games even after he came back to the NHL?

- Unknown Author

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Cap'n Clutch wrote:Did he have an impact in his last stint in the NHL though? In your opinion? I just didn't see the big deal over him. Didn't he miss a bunch of games even after he came back to the NHL?
I suspect the fact that he's been a ppg player is what keeps teams interested, even with all the injuries etc...

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star
shabbs wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:Did he have an impact in his last stint in the NHL though? In your opinion? I just didn't see the big deal over him. Didn't he miss a bunch of games even after he came back to the NHL?
I suspect the fact that he's been a ppg player is what keeps teams interested, even with all the injuries etc...

The Shabbinator is correct!

If a Forsberg can make the difference in a team getting a better playoff seed and potentially more playoff revenue by going further, he pays his way easily.

Thus, the public interest of a GM like Mike Gillis, for example.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star
Will he or won't he? Adrian Dater of the Denver Post now says, probably not this year:

Word is bubbling up from Sweden that Peter Forsberg may just skip the NHL thing altogether this year and play for his longtime SEL team, MoDo. He’s meeting with the MoDo GM Fredrik Andersson today, and Andersson said he has “high hopes” Foppa will sign with MoDo. This, according to our Swedish journalist friend, Anders Ronmark.

More here:
http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2009/11/13/foppa-to-just-skip-it-and-play-for-modo/

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star
Well, it looks like the tweet was true.

Per Kuklas Korner and Sportsnet:

Former Hart Trophy winner Peter Forsberg informed Vancouver Canucks general manager Mike Gillis that he will remain in Sweden this season and not attempt another comeback in the NHL.

Gillis confirmed the news after speaking with Forsberg on Monday morning. On February 25, 2008, Forsberg signed a contract with the Colorado Avalanche for the remainder of the season, but played in just nine games due to a groin injury.

Forsberg will play the remainder of the season in Sweden with league club MoDo.

http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.php/hockey/comments/report_forsberg_staying_in_europe/

M_Christopher

M_Christopher
Sophomore
Sophomore
No sure if it has been posted yet but this is from Bob Mckenzie's twitter:

Forsberg staying in Sweden this season and playing for MoDo. No NHL for Foppa this season. If foot holds up, perhaps next year.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?blogger_id=121

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum