GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GM Hockey » Ottawa Senators » TSN's 30 teams in 30 days: Ottawa Senators

TSN's 30 teams in 30 days: Ottawa Senators

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 10]

1TSN's 30 teams in 30 days: Ottawa Senators Empty TSN's 30 teams in 30 days: Ottawa Senators on Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:48 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
TSN profiles the Ottawa Senators in their 30 teams in 30 days special...

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=290295

Of course, the Heatley situation is front and center.

2TSN's 30 teams in 30 days: Ottawa Senators Empty Re: TSN's 30 teams in 30 days: Ottawa Senators on Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:55 am

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star
Shabbs>TSN seemed to think goaltending is a potential issue as well:

"The Senators made possibly their most important pick-up at the trade deadline last season when they brought in Pascal Leclaire with the hope that he would take over the No. 1 netminder's spot this season.

"In a town that eats starting goaltenders alive, Leclaire is seen in some circles as a potential savior. It might be a lot to ask of a player who has a grand total of one season in the NHL as an unquestioned starter under his belt. Granted, in that one year (2007-08) Leclaire was excellent on a sub-par Blue Jackets team that saw him post All-Star type numbers that included nine shutouts, a 2.25 goals against average to go along with a .919 save percentage.

"The problem is that Leclaire has a difficult time remaining healthy. Losing 48 man-games to an ankle injury last season is one thing, but Leclaire is constantly harassed by smaller, niggling injuries that sideline him just long enough to make consistency a real issue.

"If the Sens are to be without Heatley's scoring punch, they will be more dependent than ever on goaltending to keep them in games.

"A lack of consistency in this department will doom them to another disappointing season, something that fans in Ottawa can certainly do without."

3TSN's 30 teams in 30 days: Ottawa Senators Empty Re: TSN's 30 teams in 30 days: Ottawa Senators on Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:28 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star
There ARE lots of question marks with regards to the Senators this season. Coach Clouston, goaltending, Dany Heatley, secondary scoring, defensive depth and the past two seasons' disappointments. But I think they are hindrances moreso than actual problems. I think a real problem is something that needs to be addressed. In Ottawa's scenario, they have question marks, but they could easily turn into positives.

4TSN's 30 teams in 30 days: Ottawa Senators Empty Re: TSN's 30 teams in 30 days: Ottawa Senators on Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:48 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Tons of questions, don't let anyone fool you. Leclaire was a nice pick up for what we traded for him, but is he the answer any more than Manny Fernandez or Khabby would have been? We'll see...

5TSN's 30 teams in 30 days: Ottawa Senators Empty Re: TSN's 30 teams in 30 days: Ottawa Senators on Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:50 pm

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran
I think Ottawa will come out 10-2 this year. Easy schedule, lots to prove, Pascal Leclaire, and with Heater on the team and wanting out, I think he'll be productive.

Not to mention we still have Alfie. Cheering

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
davetherave wrote:Shabbs>TSN seemed to think goaltending is a potential issue as well:
And with good reason considering Leclaire's health and recovery from surgery. But, I'm willing to bet that even if we had acquired Luongo, TSN would still list goal tending as a question mark due to our history of shredding goal tenders. It is what it is.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star
10-2...That's not an unreasonable prediction. Kovalev has a bit to prove too with the consistency issues that keep getting brought up.

Then theres the fact that Foligno and Shannon are in good position to continue their development.

I'm looking forward to this season for two reasons: I think we'll finally get some closure on the Heatley fiasco by the time the puck drops and I think the Sens have a lot to prove and most, if not all the tools to make an impact.

I don't think we challenge for the Cup this year by any means (as things stand now at least), but I do think we press for a playoff spot.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star
@spader, mattshock> 'easy' schedule? When the Islanders, Thrashers and Leafs were all teams Ottawa had trouble beating last year? That's four games alone in October that could go either way. Are you assuming Ottawa rolls over the Canadiens as well? Then there's Boston and Pittsburgh. And with their new lineup, the Lightning won't be a laydown. That leaves the Panthers--who pummelled Elliott for five goals as they smoked the Sens in their last meeting...and the Preds.

There are no 'easy' schedules in the NHL, my friends.

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star
davetherave wrote:@spader, mattshock> 'easy' schedule? When the Islanders, Thrashers and Leafs were all teams Ottawa had trouble beating last year? That's four games alone in October that could go either way. Are you assuming Ottawa rolls over the Canadiens as well? Then there's Boston and Pittsburgh. And with their new lineup, the Lightning won't be a laydown. That leaves the Panthers--who pummelled Elliott for five goals as they smoked the Sens in their last meeting...and the Preds.

Yeah, I'm not really sure where people are getting this 10-2 stuff from, I'll be happy if we go 8-4/9-3 to start, play good D, and win some close games. Matter of fact, compared to last year, I just want to see 60 minutes of solid, solid hockey from our guys, and then we can go from there.

10TSN's 30 teams in 30 days: Ottawa Senators Empty Re: TSN's 30 teams in 30 days: Ottawa Senators on Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:27 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Yeah, it might be a schedule that doesn't feature the power houses, but I would say any team at any time can spank any other team, including the Thrashers and Leafs (not sure about the Isles though).

11TSN's 30 teams in 30 days: Ottawa Senators Empty Re: TSN's 30 teams in 30 days: Ottawa Senators on Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:27 pm

spader wrote:10-2...That's not an unreasonable prediction. Kovalev has a bit to prove too with the consistency issues that keep getting brought up.

Then theres the fact that Foligno and Shannon are in good position to continue their development.

I'm looking forward to this season for two reasons: I think we'll finally get some closure on the Heatley fiasco by the time the puck drops and I think the Sens have a lot to prove and most, if not all the tools to make an impact.

I don't think we challenge for the Cup this year by any means (as things stand now at least), but I do think we press for a playoff spot.
This roster not making the playoffs would be a dismal failure. Underrating the Sens is the name of the game this off-season, but it won't last long...

12TSN's 30 teams in 30 days: Ottawa Senators Empty Re: TSN's 30 teams in 30 days: Ottawa Senators on Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:29 pm

PKC wrote:
davetherave wrote:@spader, mattshock> 'easy' schedule? When the Islanders, Thrashers and Leafs were all teams Ottawa had trouble beating last year? That's four games alone in October that could go either way. Are you assuming Ottawa rolls over the Canadiens as well? Then there's Boston and Pittsburgh. And with their new lineup, the Lightning won't be a laydown. That leaves the Panthers--who pummelled Elliott for five goals as they smoked the Sens in their last meeting...and the Preds.

Yeah, I'm not really sure where people are getting this 10-2 stuff from, I'll be happy if we go 8-4/9-3 to start, play good D, and win some close games. Matter of fact, compared to last year, I just want to see 60 minutes of solid, solid hockey from our guys, and then we can go from there.

The mere idea of easy schedules and easy games is archaic. They don't exist anymore. The playing field is extremely level with only a few small peaks and valleys.

13TSN's 30 teams in 30 days: Ottawa Senators Empty Re: TSN's 30 teams in 30 days: Ottawa Senators on Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:34 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star
Yeah, there is no such thing as easy games in the NHL anymore. Especially at the beginning of the year when the wear and tear of an 82 game schedule combined with injuries haven't yet taken a toll on teams.

14TSN's 30 teams in 30 days: Ottawa Senators Empty Re: TSN's 30 teams in 30 days: Ottawa Senators on Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:34 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star
PKC wrote:There ARE lots of question marks with regards to the Senators this season. Coach Clouston, goaltending, Dany Heatley, secondary scoring, defensive depth and the past two seasons' disappointments. But I think they are hindrances moreso than actual problems. I think a real problem is something that needs to be addressed. In Ottawa's scenario, they have question marks, but they could easily turn into positives.

Actually, I think Kovalev, Foligno, Fisher and Shannon have the potential to be the best bunch of secondary scorers behind the big-3 since maybe 2005-2006.

Goaltending I think should be fine. Elliott's now had more of a taste for the NHL and an off-season to train accordingly. Leclaire and Elliott is the most talent we've had between the pipes for a long time.

Defence is the biggest question mark (apart from #15) but we'll have Campoli here from the get-go, Lee and Picard will be older and stronger, and potentially Karlsson could be here as well for more of an offensive spark.

Clouston's only a question mark because of his tenure as an NHL coach, but has shown nothing thus far but good things. He seems to be a young "old boy coach" just as Lawton seems to be a young "old boy GM." Even if he slides, there's no way he could be worse than Hartsburg (*knock on wood*).

So, frankly, I think we've improved in every single category as compared to last season. No, we're not a contender, but I think there's cause for some optimism.

15TSN's 30 teams in 30 days: Ottawa Senators Empty Re: TSN's 30 teams in 30 days: Ottawa Senators on Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:47 pm

PKC wrote:Yeah, there is no such thing as easy games in the NHL anymore. Especially at the beginning of the year when the wear and tear of an 82 game schedule combined with injuries haven't yet taken a toll on teams.

Actually, I think that if there is ever a time for easy games it IS at the start of the season. Case in point: The 16-3 start from 07-08. Were we really that much better than everybody else? Obviously not... Why we won likely had something to do with the fact that we were the exact same team that went to the Finals the year before and our players were used to each other. Its the time that it takes to gel as a team that gives an advantage to teams like the 07-08 Senators and creates the appearance of "easy schedules".

I expect Montreal to have a tough .500 start to the season but to rebound and challenge for a playoff spot, for just that reason

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 10]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum