Review of NHL2K9

Review of NHL2K9

Post by Guest on Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:59 pm

So I am a PS3 guy and I chose 2K9 over NHL09 primarily because it came out first and because 2 years ago I got NHL07 and the change in controls made it almost unplayable. I switched to 2K series and have been hooked on it, although I will probably grab both to try out something Canadian made again.

Anyway as to the review...

Presentation - A
    This game is beautiful. They have the opening start with the videos played on the ice. In SBP they have the show down pat as well as at JLA. With a Sens home game they circle the arena, then show the ice surface and then the video plays. It really is like being there. The rendering of the surface is truly state of the art. In HD mode you can see skate marks as the players line up for the faceoff and the pristine ice gets duller as the period wears on. The players are rendered nicely. The only problem is the hit and miss nature of the likenesses. Some guys look like the guy, say Antoine Vermette and then Chris Neil looks like Dan Cleary. Anyway, the only thing keeping it from an A+ is the facial renderings IMO

Gameplay B+
    The gameplay is fairly challenging and the controls are easy, there are even dumbed down versions for those who are not big gamers. The game is very fluid with very few problems at all. There are two irritants however. They have screwed up the menu system and I can't find out how to pull the goalie. I think it is a true WHOOPS because I looked pretty hard to find it. Second irritant is that it is impossible to call a timeout. Really dumb. Other than those things which lessen the user experience for serious hockey buffs the game is fun to play and challenging as you can setup each component of the game play to your skill level.

GM mode - B
    The GM mode is very nice in terms of salary cap trading and franchise play. They do some silly things though. In the profile you pick your favourite team. Then when you want to adjust rosters. You can only release players from that team. Any other roster has to be a trade scenario, dumb. Then they limit trading players from the minors, what a foolish thing to do, I don't get it. Anyway, it is a lot of work to get your rosters squared away and their newest roster download is from August. Um guys your release day is in September, get the admin assistant to pull down the latest rosters and adjust the roster to coincide with the release date, duh.

Anyway, all in all I love hockey gaming and this is a nice one.
    PKC
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 5817
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-12

Re: Review of NHL2K9

Post by PKC on Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:30 pm

I don't ever want to play another hockey game ever again if there are no Skill-stick controls. That's why I'll take a huge pass on the whole 2k series; it's just not even in the same stratosphere as the EA games in my opinion.
    Cronie
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 3032
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by Cronie on Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:41 pm

ummm, nice write up Murder!

I've been excited for ANY NHL game to come to the Wii, and with the Wiimote, I'm quite curious to see how the game handles and such. I'll give it a look for sure; although if the PS3's drop in price for x-mas (as I'm sure they will) I will eventually have to crack and snag one and check out NHL '09 as well.
    smash88
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 1354
    Registration date : 2008-09-26

Post by smash88 on Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:09 am

Cronenbergfan wrote:ummm, nice write up Murder!

I've been excited for ANY NHL game to come to the Wii, and with the Wiimote, I'm quite curious to see how the game handles and such. I'll give it a look for sure; although if the PS3's drop in price for x-mas (as I'm sure they will) I will eventually have to crack and snag one and check out NHL '09 as well.

How is it for the Wii?? I've always found the Wii to be a little off when it comes to the timing issues... Is it good with 2K9? I would never buy it for 360 as EA really is better on 360 but for the Wii with the wiimote looks like it could be fun...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:20 pm