Line Predictions:

Re: Line Predictions:

Post by Guest on Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:38 am

N4L wrote:Ya, I like Karlsson with Kuba, not Phillips. Kuba is a perfect compliment to an offensive rookie d man coming into the league. Both can pass, both can shoot, Kuba has the expierence to make up for a lot of Karlsson's mistake and keep him from getting run hard with smart plays out of the zone.

I dont like Phillips with Karlsson personally just because he lacks what Karlsson needs and thats a guy who can move the puck without much effort and has the ability to really keep Karlsson out of trouble and make his mistakes look a little less obvious.

If ANYONE has the ability to do that....its Phillips. His passing is far better than most people give him credit for and he would insulate Karlsson defensively like no one else on this team. He's a better initial partner/mentor for Karlsson than 25 other teams even have on their roster...

Kuba can definitely do it too and he certainly is a better passer, but Phillips is the guy Imo.

Post by Guest on Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:42 am

Ya, I just like Kuba there. Phillips does have a tendancy to get into some sticky situations and Kuba uses the KISS method more often then not. Kuba just plays a more inteligent game which I think is a little more benificial to Karlsson.

Either way, Karlsson will be in that top 4 by Nov/Dec

PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 54432
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by PTFlea on Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:44 am

I like Kuba there as well - although I'll admit to being nervous after the way he and Picard played.

If anything right now, I'd like to see Phillips and Volchenkov split up. I think that benefits Lee and Campoli and Picard a lot personally. They can pair up on the PP, but at even strength? Gotta have some semblance of puck moving ability there.

Post by Guest on Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:52 am

I've already made my line proposals in another thread, but I think it will look like this:

Everyone has it right in one sense, though: Only one of Smith, Regin, Zubov, Bass, Donovan, and Schubert has a spot in the forward lineup. I really do expect Donovan to play the 13th man role, but I just can't commit to any of the others being the guy to take the 12th spot.

I think Smith has a shot, but as I said in another thread, I'd only put his chances at 30%, maybe 40%...Still wouldn't give him a 50/50 chance, though.

I KNOW Regin isn't ready. 5% chance...

I doubt Zubov in a big big way, but given his start to last season and his offensive potential - combined with Kovalev's presence on the team - I can't give Zubov anything less than the same potential Smith has. 30-40% he makes the team this season.

Bass was supposed to make it last year. Bass looked like a full grown man when he was 7. Bass beat up Chuck Norris and tore off the fist under his chin with his mouth. Still, I can't help but wonder if he's NHL material, if only because of how long its been since I've seen him play. I'd give him a 60% chance at that spot.

Dono is a hometown boy; a discounted contract; a responsible, speedy 4th liner who gives you 110% every time. Still, he doesn't provide much in the way of offense and he isn't the most punishing nor effective member of the team. I'd put his chances at 50%

Schubert gives you flexibility but not much in the way of reliability. Won't give you more than 10 points, but can double as a PKer 82 games of the season (and would if given the spot) as well as round out the D-corps in the event that one of the top-6 gets injured. Still, he doesn't seem like much more than 13th forward/7th defenseman. I'd give him a 25% chance.

Who it'll be is one of the many questions (much like who gets in as the bottom pairing on defense) I don't know the answer to. Only time will tell.

Post by Guest on Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:56 am

SpezDispenser wrote:I like Kuba there as well - although I'll admit to being nervous after the way he and Picard played.

If anything right now, I'd like to see Phillips and Volchenkov split up. I think that benefits Lee and Campoli and Picard a lot personally. They can pair up on the PP, but at even strength? Gotta have some semblance of puck moving ability there.

They absolutely should be split up. They should've been in 07-08 and all along...problem was, Volchenkov really had no one to play with. Now he's got Kuba and Campoli who he can team up effectively with, leaving Phillips with Karlsson, Lee, and Picard to guide and protect.

As for Kuba and Picard let it go, Spez..... That was under Hartsburg.... he sucked...... BIG TIME! Those two could play together in a proper system and form a fine duo.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Favorite Team : Ottawa

Post by PTFlea on Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:57 am

cas wrote:
    They absolutely should be split up. They should've been in 07-08 and all along...problem was, Volchenkov really had no one to play with. Now he's got Kuba and Campoli who he can team up effectively with, leaving Phillips with Karlsson, Lee, and Picard to guide and protect.

As for Kuba and Picard let it go, Spez..... That was under Hartsburg.... he sucked...... BIG TIME! Those two could play together in a proper system and form a fine duo.

I can't let it go yet. :^^^^: Memories of that make me want to poo. :p:

But yes, I acknowledge that Hartsburg sucked.

Post by Guest on Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:58 am

cas wrote:I've already made my line proposals in another thread, but I think it will look like this:

whoops...got distracted

...like this:

Heatley-Spezza-Kovalev
    Foligno-Fisher-Alfredsson
    Shannon-Kelly-Donovan
    Ruutu-Winchester-Neil

Kuba-Campoli
    Phillips-Volchenkov
    Picard-Lee
    Karlsson

Its not the way I would do it, but its the way I assume its structured pre-camp. Things will change, I'm sure, but right now, I can't commit to any other setup. This feels like the most likely.
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 24766
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

Post by SeawaySensFan on Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:04 pm

Foligno-Spezza-Kovalev
    Byfuglien-Sharp-Alfredsson
    Shannon-Fisher-Winchester
    Ruutu-Donovan-Neil

Kuba-Soupy
    Volchenkov-Karlsson
    Campoli-Picard
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:06 pm

I won't lie, I'm sober and I still don't mind seeing Campbell's name there. Damn that price tag. 🇬🇬
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by SeawaySensFan on Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:07 pm

SpezDispenser wrote:I won't lie, I'm sober and I still don't mind seeing Campbell's name there. Damn that price tag.

He's a damn good player. Just to watch him skate is a treat.

Post by Guest on Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:07 pm

SeawaySensFan wrote:Foligno-Spezza-Kovalev
    Ruutu-Donovan-Neil

Kuba-Soupy
    Volchenkov-Karlsson
    Campoli-Picard

No Phillips? Bold move...
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by SeawaySensFan on Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:09 pm

cas wrote:
    SeawaySensFan wrote:Foligno-Spezza-Kovalev
    Ruutu-Donovan-Neil

Kuba-Soupy
    Volchenkov-Karlsson
    Campoli-Picard

No Phillips? Insane move...

Fixed.

I'm all better now. No I'm not!!!
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:18 pm

SeawaySensFan wrote:

Yeah, lost in the shuffle is that he'd be a 50+ point guy here on the backend. Again...that contract though...
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by SeawaySensFan on Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:25 pm

SpezDispenser wrote:
    SeawaySensFan wrote:

Yeah, lost in the shuffle is that he'd be a 50+ point guy here on the backend. Again...that contract though...

I saaaiid "LESS FILLING!!!!" Oh wait, wrong argument...
    rooneypoo
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 7422
    Registration date : 2008-08-11

Post by rooneypoo on Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:21 pm

I'm really surprised to see how many of you are loading up on the first line. We've been a one-line team for how long? And to reward Heatley's 'disgruntlement' and Alfie's loyalty, you're going to surround Heatley with all the talent (Spezza, Kovalev) and leave Alfie hanging with the leftovers, as we've done to him every other time we tried to 'spread out the offence'?

I say no way. You have to develop two solid lines out of these four big players. Create two duos, and then insert a complement on each one. I don't care really how you do it, but it needs to get done.

If you can do that and still somehow keep the FFS line together, you're positively laughing -- although, I agree, that could be a tall order.
    asq2
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 7179
    Favorite Team : Detroit
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by asq2 on Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:33 pm

SeawaySensFan wrote:
    SpezDispenser wrote:I won't lie, I'm sober and I still don't mind seeing Campbell's name there. Damn that price tag.

Unfortunately, his defence is pretty horrific.

His contract is for 7 years, too. His skating's not going be at that level for the duration.

I'd avoid him at all costs. I also don't think he's a top-pairing defenceman.

Post by Guest on Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:34 pm

rooneypoo wrote:I'm really surprised to see how many of you are loading up on the first line. We've been a one-line team for how long? And to reward Heatley's 'disgruntlement' and Alfie's loyalty, you're going to surround Heatley with all the talent (Spezza, Kovalev) and leave Alfie hanging with the leftovers, as we've done to him every other time we tried to 'spread out the offence'?

I say no way. You have to develop two solid lines out of these four big players. Create two duos, and then insert a complement on each one. I don't care really how you do it, but it needs to get done.

If you can do that and still somehow keep the FFS line together, you're positively laughing -- although, I agree, that could be a tall order.

The only reason I think people suggest that is because Alfie does actually make the players around him better. Plus he is getting up there. I would like to see him play with Kovalev somehow but one would have to play the off wing. The top lines are rough with a lot of right wings who could play top line minutes (including Heatley who plays well on the right side).

I am not sure what I would do if I was Clouston.

Post by Guest on Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:36 pm

asq2 wrote:
    SeawaySensFan wrote:

Unfortunately, his defence is pretty horrific.

His contract is for 7 years, too. His skating's not going be at that level for the duration.

I'd avoid him at all costs. I also don't think he's a top-pairing defenceman.

I would tend to agree. Soupy at 5 for 5 is about right but he benefitted from being the best of a weak Defenseman UFA crop.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:06 am